2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Eccesignum - I hope so. The support I've gotten here has been solid, and surprising. When I first arrived, I thought those bloody fools ... of course, *I* was the bloody fool :) Now it seems we are all semi-cohorts, navigating all that is the premed path.

Let me know how the II's go :) I am thrilled for all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Eccesignum - I hope so. The support I've gotten here has been solid, and surprising. When I first arrived, I thought those bloody fools ... of course, *I* was the bloody fool :) Now it seems we are all semi-cohorts, navigating all that is the premed path.

Non-trad board FTW

becominghomies.gif

Reactions: 7 users
If you #MayoMedical @Eccesignum - please let me know. I am so excited for you and hope it comes through :)

Rooting for you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been there?

Two weeks ago, my dad suffered a heart attack. While he survived, a DNR was put into place. Three days after that, a different family member of mine passed away; funeral was last week up north; on top of that my contract was supposed to be signed two weeks ago and due to Labor Day holiday, it went unsigned until Th the 10th... and there was one more major event that happened outside my control (and not for public consumption; not relationship related).

My MCAT prep suffered for a day due to my dad but plummeted after the death. That rocked me to my core and on top of the job situation and the other, it was too much.

I was a no-show yesterday for the MCAT. I will sit for in in January, app on June 1 and thus be early rather than late. Logically, withdrawing from this cycle - while painful - makes the most sense.

I hope that your dad stays well and everything else works out for you !!! A year more or less it will not make a big difference in the big picture.

@B-wildered - my dad is 85. It is likely he will have far fewer years left than I'd like which is why his heart attack threw me for a loop but I was able to get back on the MCAT horse and start to ride the next day. The death ... yeah.

As I'm 51 - :) - I'll still be 51 when I app next year. However, I will be early, solid, and confident. Things always work out!

Best of luck to you!! And thank you :)

Reactions: 2 users
@Ad2b, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and all of the other unfortunate events. We will definitely be cheering you on next year!! Stay strong!

Tomorrow is a new week!! Sending positive vibes :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:to all my fellow non-trads!!! Hopefully some of you will wake up with II in your inbox and many more throughout the week !!! I feel that we are starting to get into the "thick" of the cycle, so we should be expecting some more "movements" from the schools in the next few weeks. II NON-TRAD COALITION :punch: ( and acceptance for the interviewed ones)

Reactions: 5 users
Um, I spoke too soon. Flight delays abound on the west coast, I guess, so uh...missing my interview tomorrow. This is a learning experience in many ways. Hoping I'm able to reschedule my interview...

Um, I spoke too soon. Flight delays abound on the west coast, I guess, so uh...missing my interview tomorrow. This is a learning experience in many ways. Hoping I'm able to reschedule my interview...

What a nightmare! So sorry to hear this. :eek: I hope that the school in question understands. If it is an afternoon interview, maybe you could still make it with a morning flight?

What a nightmare! So sorry to hear this. :eek: I hope that the school in question understands. If it is an afternoon interview, maybe you could still make it with a morning flight?
Appreciate the suggestion! I considered just showing up at 2 pm (even though it's an all day interview type of school) but I took the gamble that the admissions office will give me another chance. And if they don't, I guess there's really nothing I can do so I can't be too upset about it. Here's hoping for some compassion though! :)

Call school immediately

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woke up at about 3 o' clock this morning having had a dream that I was interviewing at Harvard (I do not have an interview at Harvard), and when asked the "Who would you take to dinner?" question I said: James T. Kirk.

AwkwardSealsm.jpg

...the sad part is that is totally something I would say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Call school immediately
Of course! Haha. Honestly, the thing that was stressing me out the most was waiting for someone who could assist me to be awake on the east coast. Got off the phone with the office a while ago and was able to reschedule the interview--they were truly kind and understanding. While there are certainly lessons to be learned here for me (for example, being prepared for the worst when traveling), it so far isn't the end of the world (which is probably another lesson I should be taking from this). Thanks, everyone, for reading/replying.

Woke up at about 3 o' clock this morning in the middle of a dream that I was interviewing at Harvard (I do not have an interview at Harvard), and when asked the "Who would you take to dinner?" question I said: James T. Kirk.

View attachment 196156

What is going on in this picture? lol

Now I want a SnugSeal plushie to take around with me.

Because that wouldn't be creepy at all.

Waiting for my new credit card to arrive in the mail (no interest till April 2017 ;)) so I can book my flights and hotels...... oh god ...... It's getting a little late taking in consideration my first Interview is on sept 30th.... Go mail man

Now I want a SnugSeal plushie to take around with me.

Because that wouldn't be creepy at all.

Well if we don't get into med school, we can start the next Beanie Baby trend with SnugSeal

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi,

Pretty late in the game here. I'm trying to submit my secondary by this weekend. Would anyone be kind enough to read over my essay?

Will be really grateful who'd be willing to do that.

Thanks

Hi,

Pretty late in the game here. I'm trying to submit my secondary by this weekend. Would anyone be kind enough to read over my essay?

Will be really grateful who'd be willing to do that.

Thanks

A secondary? Or primary?

I'm happy to read it, with somewhat obvious warning that I'm also still just a pre-med, and so my advice may or may not be useful.

I am really anxious for 10/15 to get here.

:arghh:

I find out from CCOM "near the end of September/possibly early October". The wait is excruciating.

I can't wait until [DATE: edit later, when I get an interview] gets here...

I wish I cared about sports... my coworkers manage to spend a LOT of time dealing with fantasy teams. Seems like a great distraction from everything, really.

Chicago COM? Nice!

Yup. :) Thanks! It's my first choice DO school. Also first interview. Haha. Cost is somewhat higher than others, but I have a family in tow so they will have plenty to do in Chicago.

Yup. :) Thanks! It's my first choice DO school. Also first interview. Haha. Cost is somewhat higher than others, but I have a family in tow so they will have plenty to do in Chicago.

I feel you on the cost, as I was accepted to AZCOM ($$).

Did you apply to TUNCOM, or trying to move?

I feel you on the cost, as I was accepted to AZCOM ($$).

Did you apply to TUNCOM, or trying to move?

Congrats on the acceptance!

I applied to TUNCOM, but realistically we would like to move. Love my home state and city, but it's not the best for raising children. I went through the public school system out here and there's a reason we are consistently ranked the lowest. With that said, I lived in Reno for two years and would be comfortable with my family there so UNSOM would be another in my top choices (MD though).

CCOM is a great school, but I ended up canceling my Interview Invite there because I realized that paying 60k+ living cost of Chicago is not something I want to do.

That being said, if the cost was more like 45k tuition, it would be my first choice DO school.

A secondary? Or primary?

I'm happy to read it, with somewhat obvious warning that I'm also still just a pre-med, and so my advice may or may not be useful.

I'm working on secondary. I really appreciate your response! Please check your PM. Thanks very much!

Had my first interview and it went really well. Hear back on 10/15. Still complete silence from 20 other schools that I have been complete at since end of july. This process is so inexplicable. I want it to be over so I stop waking up early just to check my email! Getting good news on the 15th will help soothe my soul as well, of course.

Reactions: 5 users
One DO school that said they'll be in touch in about 2-3 weeks :nailbiting:

Six of eight MD interviews will be done by Oct 15th, at least four of which start rolling on Oct 15th (one in November, one "on or before Oct 28th").

Oh the antici-.......................

.................................................................................................pation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Sixth and seventh IIs also came in, lessening the pain of a totally exhausting MMI today. One is my first DO.

I'm starting to think I'm not going to do anymore student stays. It's just too hard to coordinate morning bathroom usage, access a proper mirror, and get coffee. Today I went to my MMI without breakfast or coffee. Just too complicated to coordinate with the host. Super grateful to have been hosted, and my host gave me some great things to bring up in my interviews, but I don't think I can do it twice.

Just wondered if anyone else has thoughts/experiences re: student stays?

Reactions: 3 users
Sixth and seventh IIs also came in, lessening the pain of a totally exhausting MMI today. One is my first DO.

I'm starting to think I'm not going to do anymore student stays. It's just too hard to coordinate morning bathroom usage, access a proper mirror, and get coffee. Today I went to my MMI without breakfast or coffee. Just too complicated to coordinate with the host. Super grateful to have been hosted, and my host gave me some great things to bring up in my interviews, but I don't think I can do it twice.

You know I considered this and I've talked to a lot of people who feel that same way.

To me, I voluntarily slept on a couch, shaved in the kitchen and rolled to my interview. But I'll be perfectly honest in that I was probably only fine with that because I am in the military haha.

The one inarguably positive thing about student stays is the cost savings. This is especially important for those on a budget that have many interviews. But you're 100% right, if you can't be at close to 100% after a student stay, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I considered this and I've talked to a lot of people who feel that same way.

To me, I voluntarily slept on a couch, shaved in the kitchen and rolled to my interview. But I'll be perfectly honest in that I was probably only fine with that because I am in the military haha.

The one inarguably positive thing about student stays is the cost savings. This is especially important for those on a budget that have many interviews. But you're 100% right, if you can't be at close to 100% after a student stay, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Yeah, I don't mind the air mattress or squinting in a tiny mirror, tbh. My next big plan is to sell all my stuff and buy a vanagon. But not being able to get breakfast or coffee before the early interview is my hard limit, I think.

Seven II? BEAST MODE, YO.

I've done the host once and hotel twice so far. Planning host with two future schools that I think I'd really like to talk to a student at, hotels for the rest. My experience was good, but I had my own bathroom and my hosts put breakfast food out for me (plus breakfast at the school), so I lucked out.

FYI Marriott rewards gives you a free stay after 3k points (about two-ish stays). Found this out today *joy*.

Seven II? BEAST MODE, YO.

I've done the host once and hotel twice so far. Planning host with two future schools that I think I'd really like to talk to a student at, hotels for the rest. My experience was good, but I had my own bathroom and my hosts put breakfast food out for me (plus breakfast at the school), so I lucked out.

FYI Marriott rewards gives you a free stay after 3k points (about two-ish stays). Found this out today *joy*.
DEFINITELY stay all at one brand so that you can make good use of this. Especially if you have lots of interviews.

Same goes for flights if it's reasonable destination-wise.

DEFINITELY stay all at one brand so that you can make good use of this. Especially if you have lots of interviews.

Same goes for flights if it's reasonable destination-wise.

Yeah, I've been sticking to American/US Airways. Though they take like three weeks to post miles when you fly USAir *grr*.

Woke up at about 3 o' clock this morning having had a dream that I was interviewing at Harvard (I do not have an interview at Harvard), and when asked the "Who would you take to dinner?" question I said: James T. Kirk.

View attachment 196156

Dude, I'm so stealing this answer!!