2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrawing this cycle. Will apply for 2017 cycle on June 1 :( good luck to those of you - go nail this!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing this cycle. Will apply for 2017 cycle on June 1 :( good luck to those of you - go nail this!!! :)

Sorry for your loss (saw on other thread). I wish you all the best of luck in next year's cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know you weren't asking me, but I have my first MMI this month.

Any tips? My last four were traditional formats.
You know, I thought about this some more.

I don't know if all MMIs involve roleplay or what, but when I do it again I will try to really formulate an idea of how I want to respond to the situation BEFORE walking in the room. Sometimes that's impossible. Really long notecards laying out the scene may fill your reading time. Really short ones may be purposely vague.

More specifically (because the person in the room is the variable you can't control), I would try to stay alert to what KIND of medical scenario they're mimicking and how I would want my doctor to handle it. Like, don't just think about "what do I think of this?" Or "how should I respond?" Or "what is right?" But understand generally the principle. Is this about non-compliance, team management, what? Then operate from that basic awareness.

Essentially, I think the problem with the standard MMI advice to "be yourself" is that there is a stronger option. You can be yourself *as a doctor* and show them that. It just requires not getting blown away by a format that's designed to blow your tricks away.

I say all this, but I guess I'll find out if I'm giving myself good advice or just complicating things with my next interview (an MMI.) But, this is my takeaway.

Reactions: 3 users
@pageantry

Four, but three of them were TMDSAS (not a TX resident though) - two DO and two MD altogether. This month I have two more MD and a DO coming up.

I didn't even get a secondary from UCD, let alone an interview. I think my issue is that I have a GPA well below the tenth percentile of any school, which hinders my application.

I really appreciate the MMI advice. I will give it some more thought and hopefully be well prepared to show my best self. I don't think you are complicating things at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Be yourself as a doctor. Such a good way to think about MMIs, and really, interviews in general! Thanks for that gem.

You know, I thought about this some more.

I don't know if all MMIs involve roleplay or what, but when I do it again I will try to really formulate an idea of how I want to respond to the situation BEFORE walking in the room. Sometimes that's impossible. Really long notecards laying out the scene may fill your reading time. Really short ones may be purposely vague.

More specifically (because the person in the room is the variable you can't control), I would try to stay alert to what KIND of medical scenario they're mimicking and how I would want my doctor to handle it. Like, don't just think about "what do I think of this?" Or "how should I respond?" Or "what is right?" But understand generally the principle. Is this about non-compliance, team management, what? Then operate from that basic awareness.

Essentially, I think the problem with the standard MMI advice to "be yourself" is that there is a stronger option. You can be yourself *as a doctor* and show them that. It just requires not getting blown away by a format that's designed to blow your tricks away.

I say all this, but I guess I'll find out if I'm giving myself good advice or just complicating things with my next interview (an MMI.) But, this is my takeaway.

I know you weren't asking me, but I have my first MMI this month.

Any tips? My last four were traditional formats.
Find MMI scenarios online and practice reading them for 2 minutes, then talking for a few minutes. It will help you practice organizing your thoughts and speaking clearly. Also remember to smile during it. (This applies to all interviews.)

Got a second II ...UMich XD beyond excited! My list is pretty small...so this is AMAZING!

Reactions: 9 users
The advice of being yourself is complete nonsense. It reeks of laziness. Anyway, here's my thought for medical school interviews: have a strategy!

As a speaker, you have the powerful ability of presenting a material in such a way that influences your interviewers' thoughts and feelings. For every question, you need to synthesize the important traits that make you special and present them to the interviewers Barney style. Afterward, you need to tie them to the unique experiences throughout your life to be sincere.

So, when adcom people tell you to be yourself, they are partially right. Yes, they want to know the real you in a coherent, presentable manner. If you go into an interview with a plan and a strategy, you will do very well.

I had my first MMI and really enjoyed it.

I think the best prep you can do is practice with sample questions (be sure to have someone posing as your rater!) to get used to speaking out loud for ~8 minutes.

That is the best advice I can offer. Otherwise, try to be as relaxed as possible and don't get flustered.

Also, great job everyone on this thread!!! Whoot!!

Fellow non trad here who applied MD and DO. So far I have many DO interviews and 1 MD interview coming up at my state school OHSU. I still have many MD programs to hear back from but I'm happy with my results so far:).

Reactions: 7 users
First MD II at my state school (UNSOM). MMI format. Somewhat nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 30 MD schools, and got 4 II so far. I am wondering if I should fill out a DO app? I am so OVER writing, but something inside of me is telling me better be safe than sorry...

I applied to 30 MD schools, and got 4 II so far. I am wondering if I should fill out a DO app? I am so OVER writing, but something inside of me is telling me better be safe than sorry...

Kind of a personal decision. I did DO as well (though not as many DO as MD) because I've had a lot of exposure to DOs and felt I'd be equally satisfied with either -- especially with residencies merging.

With 4 MD IIs and still waiting on 26 as early as Labor Day I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in anywhere. Apply DO if you feel it'd be right for you. The one thing you don't want is if you really feel you wouldn't want to go DO, but end up accepted DO and not MD. It's your call.

Kind of a personal decision. I did DO as well (though not as many DO as MD) because I've had a lot of exposure to DOs and felt I'd be equally satisfied with either -- especially with residencies merging.

With 4 MD IIs and still waiting on 26 as early as Labor Day I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in anywhere. Apply DO if you feel it'd be right for you. The one thing you don't want is if you really feel you wouldn't want to go DO, but end up accepted DO and not MD. It's your call.

I personally "dig" the DO, approach and would not mind going to a DO school. Right now is more a matter of writing, money (just applied for a new CC today), and finding good DO schools at places that I would want to live. I just prefer MD, because in case I decide to go to a competitive residency, such derm, I have better odds to get in.

Goro said if my app is in by Dec, I should be fine..... I will finish all four my Interviews before OCT 20, so I may just want to wait till then and see where I am at. If the universe and cosmic energies decide to all work in my favor, I will have an acceptance by the end of that month and I will not have to worry about anything else besides my financial affairs which are pretty bad now.

Last edited:
I personally "dig" the DO, approach and would not mind going to a DO school. Right now is more a matter of writing and finding good DO schools at places that I would want to live. I just prefer MD, because in case I decide to go to a competitive residency, such derm, I have better odds to get in.

The writing's not terribly much. AACOMAS is almost the same as AMCAS (you might have to alter your PS a bit, fewer characters allowed), but I did a lot of copy-pasting between the two. The pain in the butt for AACOMAS was having to assign your pre-req classes to every school separately.

There's also a service in AACOMAS that'll do your transcript entry for you for a fee if you want.

Also if you do AACOMAS, be sure and log into your MCAT score thing at AAMC and designate AACOMAS as a score recipient. You have to do that manually.

Goro said if my app is in by Dec, I should be fine..... I will finish all four my Interviews before OCT 20, so I may just want to wait till then and see where I am at. If the universe and cosmic energies decide to all work in my favor, I will have an acceptance by the end of that month and I will not have to worry about anything else besides my financial affairs which are pretty bad now.

Maybe open an AACOMAS account and fill your stuff out now without assigning any schools, so you have it ready to fire off for verification later if needed. It does take a bit to get everything in, even with everything written already from AMCAS.

Maybe open an AACOMAS account and fill your stuff out now without assigning any schools, so you have it ready to fire off for verification later if needed. It does take a bit to get everything in, even with everything written already from AMCAS.
Yes, I just started to fill it out. Also, I qualify for their FAP (screw you amcas-because I could not provide my father's tax info, who I speak very little, they denied me) , so I am just gonna go ahead and fill out little by little everyday. Thanks for the support ;) .

So that's what a rejection feels like. First one happened to A) be my best chance B) be my top choice C) be my state school. Ouch.

So that's what a rejection feels like. First one happened to A) be my best chance B) be my top choice C) be my state school. Ouch.

Don't give up! I was also rejected from a couple of places that I thought would be my best bets, but then later received IIs from schools that seemed like long shots. The interview season is just getting going!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't give up! I was also rejected from a couple of places that I thought would be my best bets, but then later received IIs from schools that seemed like long shots. The interview season is just getting going!

Thanks. It's not a good sign though, as I work at the hospital in an upper level position (for almost 6 years now), am a non-trad gpa repair and am going to their undergrad now and am top 5% of my class, and even got a letter of rec from one of the members of the leadership team. I think this is going to be a rough cycle for me.

Just sucks it had to be the first one.

Thanks. It's not a good sign though, as I work at the hospital in an upper level position (for almost 6 years now), am a non-trad gpa repair and am going to their undergrad now and am top 5% of my class, and even got a letter of rec from one of the members of the leadership team. I think this is going to be a rough cycle for me.

Just sucks it had to be the first one.

Can't base an entire cycle off one school. We're all going to fit at some places and not at others, and the whys will be a mystery. September is way too early to panic!

First MD II at my state school (UNSOM). MMI format. Somewhat nervous!
Same here my state school does MMI as well. The only way to prepare from what I've seen is to be yourself and maybe read up on some medical ethics.

NOOOOOO....I was rooting for ya :'( I was hoping to have an SDNer on interview day :'(

Can't base an entire cycle off one school. We're all going to fit at some places and not at others, and the whys will be a mystery. September is way too early to panic!
I agree with this @mavric1298 !!! Especially WA schools...it's such a specific mission. Did you apply to MD and DO there?

Got my second II today. Definitely not my top choice, but it's good to get another bite and further soothe my neuroticism that a few blemishes on my application have sunk my chances. Now i'm at 2 II and 2 rejections. Excited for the cycle to heat up and hear back from the other 18 schools i applied to.

I'm shocked to hear that Mavric. I know it's gotta be tough coming from your state school (i live in seattle and am applying to UW as well....still waiting a decision after being complete end of July), but like eccesignum said, these decisions are often inexplicable. I've been turned down by two schools i thought i was a perfect match for. If you applied broadly, with experience like yours you're bound to get in somewhere.

Got my second II today. Definitely not my top choice, but it's good to get another bite and further soothe my neuroticism that a few blemishes on my application have sunk my chances. Now i'm at 2 II and 2 rejections. Excited for the cycle to heat up and hear back from the other 18 schools i applied to.

I'm shocked to hear that Mavric. I know it's gotta be tough coming from your state school (i live in seattle and am applying to UW as well....still waiting a decision after being complete end of July), but like eccesignum said, these decisions are often inexplicable. I've been turned down by two schools i thought i was a perfect match for. If you applied broadly, with experience like yours you're bound to get in somewhere.

Thanks. I did, 20 apps so we'll see, but it's also hard when you own a home, right off light rail (so as of next year could hop right on to school), and moved here 6 years ago as a career changer with every intention of getting in to UW. Oh well such is life. Move on and cross my fingers I get love from somewhere

Thanks. I did, 20 apps so we'll see, but it's also hard when you own a home, right off light rail (so as of next year could hop right on to school), and moved here 6 years ago as a career changer with every intention of getting in to UW. Oh well such is life. Move on and cross my fingers I get love from somewhere

When I went to my closest in-state school (previously one of my high-hope favorites) for an open house, the associate dean looked me right in the eye after I'd told him my entire story and told me my low cumulative GPA just didn't show much commitment.

Crossed them off the list, haven't looked back.

Do the same, man. Don't look back, adapt.

My state school hates me (UH). Despite the fact that I have been living here over 10 years, want to practice and continue living here, they still give me a hard time because I am not originally from here, nor I have family here. I am a legal resident of the state, but I am not considered a "resident" for the admission process. I feel that it is pretty ridiculous from their part. I was rejected last year and I believe not being "resident" played a great part on their decision, according to some professors that spoke, they have huge bias towards people that are from here. More or less I have no state preference anywhere. It kind of sux..... So, thats why I applied over 30 schools.

Their criteria for residency:

"an applicant is scored on the following six criteria on the Residency Screen:
1) legal residence of the applicant, 2) legal residence of the applicant’s parents, 3) birthplace, 4) location of high school graduated, 5) location of college or university attended (degree not required) and 6) Legacy. The information will be accessed from the applicant’s AMCAS application. An applicant is required to have a minimum of three out of the six criteria indicating ties to the State to be considered a ‘resident’ for application purposes. An applicant who has less than the minimum three points will be considered a ‘nonresident’ for application purposes. The Residency Screen is not to eliminate an applicant at this stage of the application process. The screen is used to determine whether an applicant proceeding to the Secondary/Academic Screen is a ‘resident’ or ‘nonresident’."

The awkward thing - I have to talk with the dean of admissions - because I'm the incoming president of the largest campus premed honors society, and she's our guest speaker at our premed expo every year. Ha. Oh well, perseverance got me where I am and I'll keep pressing forward. If I have to apply again next year so be it - when I decided to change careers, I knew there would be hardships and pressing on regardless towards your goals only make them that much sweeter when you accomplish them.

Still have 19 pending apps, and if this year doesn't work out I have another 3 quarters to strengthen my undergrad.

Did you apply to the DO out east? There is still WSU which may start one next year ....I too have made the huge move across the country to WA and own a home and am pretty settled...I definitely would consider reapplying...I don't know if it's at all possible in your case...best of luck! (sweet location by the light rail btw!)

see ya there! :)

Anybody else already neurotically planning their backup career based on deafening silence from schools?!??!?!

*nervous laughter*
*sobbing*

:bang:+pity++pissed+:smack::eyebrow:

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody else already neurotically planning their backup career based on deafening silence from schools?!??!?!

*nervous laughter*
*sobbing*

:bang:+pity++pissed+:smack::eyebrow:

I'm sitting on school silence and have been navigating some personal health curiosities over the past month or two. Both of which have me wondering... What if?!?

Awesome!

Not gonna lie, it's up there on my list that might end up canceled if I get into one of my favorites in October. But we shall see :)
I'm in the same spot as you. First interview is on monday and hope to hear from them before this other interview that we both have so i can cancel the spot if i get in. With the number of interviews you're getting i'm sure you will hear back from somewhere before the 16th! Good luck!

I'm in the same spot as you. First interview is on monday and hope to hear from them before this other interview that we both have so i can cancel the spot if i get in. With the number of interviews you're getting i'm sure you will hear back from somewhere before the 16th! Good luck!

You're interviewing at a school that I love *sniffle* Wanna trade for one?! :D

Good luck to you!

I'm sitting on school silence and have been navigating some personal health curiosities over the past month or two. Both of which have me wondering... What if?!?

Sorry to hear about the health issues :( I also had a (minor) health thing that stuck around for a long time and has finally cleared. Any other time in life it wouldn't have been a big deal, but in this high stress cycle it just seemed much more bothersome!

First rejection of the cycle. I know it was coming, but still hurts. Oh well, life must continue.

YOU GUYS

II! First one. CA Northstate (new school)

Submitted 8/22