2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised at how many institutional aid forms basically ask you to rehash your entire FAFSA. I'd always been under the impression schools could see the info on your FAFSA, but perhaps not?

Maybe they can but they don't want to be bothered when you will do whatever they ask? I mean, how many times did I have to fill in the same info on secondaries that I had already entered into my AMCAS primary? :yeahright:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they can but they don't want to be bothered when you will do whatever they ask?

...this whole process

nailed it luther.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
just as an FYI, tonight is the last day to apply to be an astronaut for this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to learn American notes (I learned do re mi fa sol la si do growing up). The mnemonics here are awesome.
Screenshot_20160219-215843.png

Reactions: 1 users
I am happy to report that I was accepted to a school I enjoyed interviewing at this past Friday! :) I got the news right after walking out of another interview that I also enjoyed tremendously and know I hit a home run during!

It has been a long journey and I have made it! I am going to be a doctor! I am going to be a voice for the LGBT community in medicine! I am going to change the (community I call home in this big giant) world! :D

Reactions: 11 users
I am happy to report that I was accepted to a school I enjoyed interviewing at this past Friday! :) I got the news right after walking out of another interview that I also enjoyed tremendously and know I hit a home run during!

It has been a long journey and I have made it! I am going to be a doctor! I am going to be a voice for the LGBT community in medicine! I am going to change the (community I call home in this big giant) world! :D
Congrats!!!

marsyeah.gif

Do the Seattle nontrads want to do that Woodinville Whiskey Co. meetup sometime soon? Before UW actually makes its decisions and ruins it for some of us?
Maybe the first week of March, one day after work?

...apparently kaplan does not sell the independent Qbank anymore

I knew still being in classes this semester was going to end up turning my hair gray(er). Struggling badly in calculus and having repeated stress nightmares now that my acceptances end up rescinded because I end up with a C (before you tut-tut, there are policies about this...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew still being in classes this semester was going to end up turning my hair gray(er). Struggling badly in calculus and having repeated stress nightmares now that my acceptances end up rescinded because I end up with a C (before you tut-tut, there are policies about this...)
I'm sure I don't need to tell you to get a tutor and start visiting office hours.

Calculus was a nightmare for me. I tested in, but I shouldn't have. I guessed through the whole placement test. I failed my way through the entire first half of the semester and then started to get the hang of it and, thanks to very loving grading policies, managed to get out with a B.

That was first semester tho.

The point is, it suuuuuucks but you can dooooo iiiit!!
ImageUploadedBySDN1456151032.985809.jpg

I'm sure I don't need to tell you to get a tutor and start visiting office hours.

Calculus was a nightmare for me. I tested in, but I shouldn't have. I guessed through the whole placement test. I failed my way through the entire first half of the semester and then started to get the hang of it and, thanks to very loving grading policies, managed to get out with a B.

That was first semester tho.

The point is, it suuuuuucks but you can dooooo iiiit!!
View attachment 200681

I've got a fantastic tutor. We did 7 hours last week on my nights off. Still walked into a test this morning and struggled. My mind just jumbles things into a huge mess and I have no idea what can be done about that. Yargblargbubbles.

(pic made me lulz)

I've got a fantastic tutor. We did 7 hours last week on my nights off. Still walked into a test this morning and struggled. My mind just jumbles things into a huge mess and I have no idea what can be done about that. Yargblargbubbles.

(pic made me lulz)
I understand that. :/
Are you practicing testing conditions with your tutor?

Ughhhh I wish I could help! All I can say is I've been there and I know how disheartening it can be any I know you'll pull through! I dreamed about SnugSeal t-shirts last night. It must be a sign.

You'll do fine @Eccesignum!

Just received a Geisel interview as I was coming back from visiting a school with my wife. I am pretty sure I want to turn it down, but is there any reason I shouldn't? I really wish they would have invited me a few months ago, when I would have attended.

Just received a Geisel interview as I was coming back from visiting a school with my wife. I am pretty sure I want to turn it down, but is there any reason I shouldn't? I really wish they would have invited me a few months ago, when I would have attended.
If you can imagine wanting to attend on a huge scholarship, I'd go. I only regret declining UofV, which I knew was way pricier than I wanted, but a school I'd probably have enjoyed. And, you never know, could have been $$$.

Then again, decision fatigue is real. We need to start a non-trad decision thread soon.

Reactions: 2 users

Is Geisel a school you'd attend over most of the ones you have if you got in (money not being the only factor, remember...consider location, curriculum, research ops, etc)? If yes, go. If not, decline.

@pageantry @Eccesignum

Thanks for the replies. I am not really sure, which is the issue. It is very expensive, and I already have an ultra-expensive acceptance at USC, which I think I would prefer if money was no issue. So I am leaning towards declining for that reason.

@pageantry @Eccesignum

Thanks for the replies. I am not really sure, which is the issue. It is very expensive, and I already have an ultra-expensive acceptance at USC, which I think I would prefer if money was no issue. So I am leaning towards declining for that reason.
Unless you were hoping to have a yard and a dog while in medical school, that makes a lot of sense.

the dartmouth hospital is beautiful though, and if you like the outdoors, that's the place to be

Ughhhhhhhhh one more "continued" decision at Pritzker. I am so sick of this process. 4 waitlists, 2 "continued." Why can't they just make decisions already?? Thank God for Tufts accepting me early on or I'd be just about ready to figuratively stab myself.

Do the Seattle nontrads want to do that Woodinville Whiskey Co. meetup sometime soon? Before UW actually makes its decisions and ruins it for some of us?
Maybe the first week of March, one day after work?

I'd be down for this!!

(pic made me lulz)

Calc 1? A tutor can be great, but the best way to learn calc (and any math, really) is to find a way to relate to the material--not just attempt rote memorization. Abstract algebra started out super abstract to me (see what I did there?), but once I figured out a way to mesh it with my learning style, it clicked. It's been like that for me from calc 1 up through real analysis, and the people I've helped were the same way.

Calc 1? A tutor can be great, but the best way to learn calc (and any math, really) is to find a way to relate to the material--not just attempt rote memorization. Abstract algebra started out super abstract to me (see what I did there?), but once I figured out a way to mesh it with my learning style, it clicked. It's been like that for me from calc 1 up through real analysis, and the people I've helped were the same way.

I know what you mean, and that worked for me in algebra. Still trying to figure out exactly how to "translate" calculus into something I can parse rather than just slapping numbers into random equations and hoping it's the right one. Just not there yet.

I know what you mean, and that worked for me in algebra. Still trying to figure out exactly how to "translate" calculus into something I can parse rather than just slapping numbers into random equations and hoping it's the right one. Just not there yet.

The only thing I've ever been able to use it for in my career is figuring out how to land at an exact landing spot in Kerbal Space Program.

Other than that? I have no use for Newton's shadow math.

The only thing I've ever been able to use it for in my career is figuring out how to land at an exact landing spot in Kerbal Space Program.

Other than that? I have no use for Newton's shadow math.

That sentiment is exactly what's wrong with math education in this country.

Please enlighten me as to what sentiment you're referring to.

That math is essentially useless outside of esoteric situations. It's a problem with how math is taught in the United States, not your perception. If it was taught more integratively, people might not feel that way (or at least a smaller number of people would).

I was speaking more tongue in cheek. But I agree with you that math being taught in the US is not up to par. I'm not convinced that 'integration' is the key.

I am, at this very moment, long term subbing for pre-calculus, teaching about annuities, compound interest, difference between continual compound and discrete compounding, etc. The new-age modality in this district is to rely heavily upon work sheets and self discovery in mathematics, with teacher re-enforcement of core principles.

I disagree with this.

I think this kind of teaching works if the student enters having a previously firm foundation in the prior principles, but sucks if there's any sort of hole. Which there often is, because the variability in quality is a very real deal.

What seems to be a breath of fresh air to these students is a simpler approach - introduction of the topic, multiple examples, and common trouble spots associated with the topic. It saves valuable time for students (which is increasingly rare for high performers, as they often have 4-6 hours of homework per night due to AP hell) and it allows exposure to diverse problems as they're not sitting their hitting their face on a table for 3 hours trying to solve something simple.

Additionally, most math teachers I've met knew enough math to slither by and take the CSET, qualifying them to teach in the state, but they lack themselves the foundation necessary to teach as sometimes it takes more than proficiency with the textbook and current modalities to teach a weaker student.

So I'm trying to get my financial aid stuff together - and it's super complicated.

At some schools I'm independent and they don't need parental info, and at others they want everything. Northwestern, for example, considers me independent BUT if I submit forms with parental info, they will take it into account and consider me dependent.

Is there a way to complete two different versions of FAFSA so that I have one with/without parental info? Has anyone else had this problem?

So I'm trying to get my financial aid stuff together - and it's super complicated.

At some schools I'm independent and they don't need parental info, and at others they want everything. Northwestern, for example, considers me independent BUT if I submit forms with parental info, they will take it into account and consider me dependent.

Is there a way to complete two different versions of FAFSA so that I have one with/without parental info? Has anyone else had this problem?
I know this is a non-answer, but you need to address it with the FinAid offices at each school. I have to think this is a more common problem.

I had this issue with UVA. I talked to someone in financial aid, and they made a note in my file to ignore the parental FAFSA section. Said no problem.

Just touch base with Northwestern etc and ask what to do.

I was speaking more tongue in cheek. But I agree with you that math being taught in the US is not up to par. I'm not convinced that 'integration' is the key.

I am, at this very moment, long term subbing for pre-calculus, teaching about annuities, compound interest, difference between continual compound and discrete compounding, etc. The new-age modality in this district is to rely heavily upon work sheets and self discovery in mathematics, with teacher re-enforcement of core principles.

I disagree with this.

I think this kind of teaching works if the student enters having a previously firm foundation in the prior principles, but sucks if there's any sort of hole. Which there often is, because the variability in quality is a very real deal.

What seems to be a breath of fresh air to these students is a simpler approach - introduction of the topic, multiple examples, and common trouble spots associated with the topic. It saves valuable time for students (which is increasingly rare for high performers, as they often have 4-6 hours of homework per night due to AP hell) and it allows exposure to diverse problems as they're not sitting their hitting their face on a table for 3 hours trying to solve something simple.

Additionally, most math teachers I've met knew enough math to slither by and take the CSET, qualifying them to teach in the state, but they lack themselves the foundation necessary to teach as sometimes it takes more than proficiency with the textbook and current modalities to teach a weaker student.

By integration, I meant incorporating real world examples where students can see how the critical thinking and logic skills that math teaches translates to real life as opposed to simply learning to some standardized test.

Finland has that sort of integrated teaching model and is currently number one in the world for education, so it probably works. I've used it when when tutoring other math majors and grade school students, and it really helps them both see the utility (mostly the kids there) and understand the material.

Can we move this to a "Things the American Educational System fails to do" Thread?

Reactions: 2 users
I had this issue with UVA. I talked to someone in financial aid, and they made a note in my file to ignore the parental FAFSA section. Said no problem.

Just touch base with Northwestern etc and ask what to do.
Thanks for the idea! Glad it worked for UVA - I called NW and they were not as understanding about it.

I plan to try submitting FAFSA without any parental info to all of the schools and then send parental info to the schools that want it (they usually ask again on need access, etc anyway). This was FAFSA's idea; I hope it works.

Thanks for the idea! Glad it worked for UVA - I called NW and they were not as understanding about it.

I plan to try submitting FAFSA without any parental info to all of the schools and then send parental info to the schools that want it (they usually ask again on need access, etc anyway). This was FAFSA's idea; I hope it works.

Wow. I'm really sorry they're making this into a thing. Flipside, you could contact the schools that did tell you to put it on FAFSA and confirm that it's okay if you just include it on their forms/NeedAccess.

Edit: Especially if Northwestern is not your first choice but one of the parental-requiring schools is.

Last edited:
Long rant coming. I'm losing my shiznit.

My close friend passed away unexpectedly on Thursday last week (he was 33). I called my work (three days in advance) to let them know I would be calling out for today due to his memorial. I was told that any call outs result in a write up and I would be forced to call each of my coworkers individually to find coverage. After trying this and coming up empty handed, I called back and explained the situation. I officially now have a write up and "disciplinary notice" in my file for calling out. They then proceeded to send a mass text to everyone about "how important it was to find coverage for my shift so I can pay respects to my friend" minutes after writing me up for requesting that EXACT action from them.

Fast forward to today. Our March schedule (which was only published today) has moved me all over multiple facilities (we are credentialed at four). I have worked the same shift at the same hospital for approaching three years.

My wife and I have enough savings to pay for arriving in Reno two months in advance in order to get my daughter accustomed to the move and new city. I can afford to quit now, but we would come up short for both the move and even leaving early. I have been selling all of my stuff (old books, brewing equipment, etc) on Ebay to try and stem the financial pain, but quitting this early would basically squander it and leave us begging any family members for money.

I'm at a loss. Should I just eat it and keep working? I really have no idea what to do. I'm so tired of this company.

I'm at a loss. Should I just eat it and keep working? I really have no idea what to do. I'm so tired of this company.

That's horrible behavior from the company you are working for.

Do you have the ability to go to all the facilities you are scheduled at? If so, I would suggest just trying to stick it out and keep working until your scheduled move date. You're almost done! Just think every day that it is one day closer to being in med school.

That's horrible behavior from the company you are working for.

Do you have the ability to go to all the facilities you are scheduled at? If so, I would suggest just trying to stick it out and keep working until your scheduled move date. You're almost done! Just think every day that it is one day closer to being in med school.

I do have the ability to work there, but I'm more concerned about how good of a job I will do. Each hospital has it's own way of charting things (consults, re-eval notes, medications, etc.) and I am utterly clueless as to how the others do things. My charts will be terrible and I will likely end up having to stay over after each shift trying to "clean up" while the physician is pissed because they can't sign their charts right away.

Blah. Maybe I'll go be a stripper.

img-thing