2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do have the ability to work there, but I'm more concerned about how good of a job I will do. Each hospital has it's own way of charting things (consults, re-eval notes, medications, etc.) and I am utterly clueless as to how the others do things. My charts will be terrible and I will likely end up having to stay over after each shift trying to "clean up" while the physician is pissed because they can't sign their charts right away.

Blah. Maybe I'll go be a stripper.

img-thing

If it were me, I'd really sit down with my wife and try to budget it out and see if there is any way make it work without the job (without banking on loans and/or favors). That company sounds atrocious. I'd really try to make it work so I could tell them to pound sand.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I'd really sit down with my wife and try to budget it out and see if there is any way make it work without the job (without banking on loans and/or favors). That company sounds atrocious. I'd really try to make it work so I could tell them to pound sand.

Definitely. We went over some budgeting tonight briefly, but we will really hash it all out this weekend.

Oh, in addition to what I mentioned about the company...

No vacation, PTO, or sick days. Health insurance that (for anyone with a spouse or child) costs over $500 a month or another option that is cheaper but covers zero hospitalizations or surgeries. No dental or vision offered.

Sorry for the rant.

images

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely. We went over some budgeting tonight briefly, but we will really hash it all out this weekend.

Oh, in addition to what I mentioned about the company...

No vacation, PTO, or sick days. Health insurance that (for anyone with a spouse or child) costs over $500 a month or another option that is cheaper but covers zero hospitalizations or surgeries. No dental or vision offered.

Sorry for the rant.

images

Oh, hell no. **** them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty atrocious considering you've been there for THREE YEARS

It's not like you are some fresh college grad who has been working for a few weeks, and it is a legitimate reason. (I am very sorry for your loss)

Can you get a temporary position with a hospital in Reno? I'm sure there are clinics in that area who would love to get someone with your experience. I even bet there are some urgent care centers that could really use the help. Or even Tahoe!

That's pretty atrocious considering you've been there for THREE YEARS

It's not like you are some fresh college grad who has been working for a few weeks, and it is a legitimate reason. (I am very sorry for your loss)

Can you get a temporary position with a hospital in Reno? I'm sure there are clinics in that area who would love to get someone with your experience. I even bet there are some urgent care centers that could really use the help. Or even Tahoe!

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if the company I work for is in Reno, though. They made us sign a noncompete agreement, which would be hard for them follow up on with me but I've heard they've done it. Thanks!

noncompetes are almost impossible to enforce.
Courts will only consider the case if you're taking trade secrets with you or if you leaving to go work with someone else would be a significant financial loss for the company. Don't let them bully you!

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if the company I work for is in Reno, though. They made us sign a noncompete agreement, which would be hard for them follow up on with me but I've heard they've done it. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
^ that's a ****ty situation - I know how it feels to be a place of work that doesn't treat you well - it's not fun.

Just keep in mind it's temporary, I'd have someone take a look at the non-compete, my guess is it isn't enforceable, but get someone with legal knowledge to confirm, and move on from what sounds like a house of horrors

Program director said I should just bail on this cycle and reapply.

:depressed:

@VegasPreMed - I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. What I have found in my life, is that if one can make less money and work for better people, better companies and have an overall more stable life, it is worth it.

My life is lived like above. It was worth giving up extras to make my life less full of unnecessary b.s.

To program director:

61742089.jpg

@VegasPreMed - I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. What I have found in my life, is that if one can make less money and work for better people, better companies and have an overall more stable life, it is worth it.

My life is lived like above. It was worth giving up extras to make my life less full of unnecessary b.s.

Thanks for the thoughts. I likely will leave early. I already decided to just shell out as many of the shifts as possible to coworkers; we'll lose some money, but I'll get more time with the fam. My wife said we can just have weekly garage sales to make up the difference. :p

Thanks for the advice!

Long rant coming. I'm losing my shiznit.

My close friend passed away unexpectedly on Thursday last week (he was 33). I called my work (three days in advance) to let them know I would be calling out for today due to his memorial. I was told that any call outs result in a write up and I would be forced to call each of my coworkers individually to find coverage. After trying this and coming up empty handed, I called back and explained the situation. I officially now have a write up and "disciplinary notice" in my file for calling out. They then proceeded to send a mass text to everyone about "how important it was to find coverage for my shift so I can pay respects to my friend" minutes after writing me up for requesting that EXACT action from them.

Fast forward to today. Our March schedule (which was only published today) has moved me all over multiple facilities (we are credentialed at four). I have worked the same shift at the same hospital for approaching three years.

My wife and I have enough savings to pay for arriving in Reno two months in advance in order to get my daughter accustomed to the move and new city. I can afford to quit now, but we would come up short for both the move and even leaving early. I have been selling all of my stuff (old books, brewing equipment, etc) on Ebay to try and stem the financial pain, but quitting this early would basically squander it and leave us begging any family members for money.

I'm at a loss. Should I just eat it and keep working? I really have no idea what to do. I'm so tired of this company.
This has to be Scribe America, right?

Also, so incredibly sorry for your loss. It never comes at an easy time and I'm sorry if this is going to put financial stress on you.

While you very likely need to be preparing to reapply, there's no point in "bailing". You paid for the application and all those secondaries; you have the right to let them stay under consideration to the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has to be Scribe America, right?

Also, so incredibly sorry for your loss. It never comes at an easy time and I'm sorry if this is going to put financial stress on you.

I appreciate it.

I worked for a smaller-ish, physician owned ED company that was recently bought out by Team Health/PhysAssist. Not happy to say the least.

Shoutout to you supportive doctors-to-be
if they had the hand raised emoji, I would give you guys some
instead, ill give you one of these
:astronaut:

at least my astronaut application still hasn't been rejected

Reactions: 3 users
Shoutout to you supportive doctors-to-be
if they had the hand raised emoji, I would give you guys some
instead, ill give you one of these
:astronaut:

at least my astronaut application still hasn't been rejected

highfive.jpg

also, just realized I'm going to have to become internet friends with the 2017 non-trads

also, just realized I'm going to have to become internet friends with the 2017 non-trads
Same thing happened to me first time, chin up. On the bright side, you'll also get to join the "Re-Applicant" forums.

Anyone else have to do NeedAccess for their school(s)? Good grief, this thing is intense.

Anyone else have to do NeedAccess for their school(s)? Good grief, this thing is intense.

I do, but only for some of my schools. It's frustrating because my wife and I filed our taxes already, but some of the schools I got into want parent info and of course that has not been filed yet. I've been telling my mom nonstop to please get on that, but she still hasn't filed and it's out of my control. She is used to filing in April.

I do, but only for some of my schools. It's frustrating because my wife and I filed our taxes already, but some of the schools I got into want parent info and of course that has not been filed yet. I've been telling my mom nonstop to please get on that, but she still hasn't filed and it's out of my control. She is used to filing in April.

Wow, definitely didn't realize you need parent info if you're filing with your wife and basically have nothing to do with your parents' financially.

Wow, definitely didn't realize you need parent info if you're filing with your wife and basically have nothing to do with your parents' financially.

yep, it's pretty ridiculous. I have been financially independent for a long time. My wife will be working and supporting us while I'm in med school, so they are taking into account her income (which is completely understandable) but also my parents income, even though they will not be contributing anything financially.

yep, it's pretty ridiculous. I have been financially independent for a long time. My wife will be working and supporting us while I'm in med school, so they are taking into account her income (which is completely understandable) but also my parents income, even though they will not be contributing anything financially.

That's absolutely absurd. I haven't filled out a FAFSA in a while (thank God for TA), but I could have sworn that if you're independent, that you don't have to list your parents' info.

That's absolutely absurd. I haven't filled out a FAFSA in a while (thank God for TA), but I could have sworn that if you're independent, that you don't have to list your parents' info.

that is correct, the FAFSA does not require that I submit parent info. However for many of the schools I got into, they give need based institutional aid and require parent info for that, so I have to add parent info into the FAFSA if I want to be eligible for any institutional aid.

that is correct, the FAFSA does not require that I submit parent info. However for many of the schools I got into, they give need based institutional aid and require parent info for that, so I have to add parent info into the FAFSA if I want to be eligible for any institutional aid.

Ah, I understand. I didn't realize the schools that gave institutional aid required it. That seems a bit behind the times and not very considerate of non-trads.

What's even more fun is that at one of my school, I'm considered independent by the registrar for the purpose of in-state tuition, but not by financial aid for purpose of need-based aid. The registrar at the same school even seemed baffled that anyone would consider someone in their 30s not financially independent.

This is about to get funky, I can feel it.

Those moments when AMCAS keeps reminding you that you haven't yet sent letters of evaluation to this list of schools. I STILL DIDNT GET SECONDARIES THERE, OKAY?!

Last edited:
For those of us who need to submit the Need Access application

I called to ask about parent tax information if they a) haven't filed yet, and b) don't file federal income tax (they live in PR). They said that I should note in the "Special circumstances" section that the tax information I'm adding is for a PR income tax return, and that it is 2015's information since it will match exactly their 2015 return.

They also suggested to note anything and everything common for non-traditionals in this section, as schools will definitely read it. This is, of course, in addition to the student contacting schools' financial aid offices and telling them about these particular circumstances directly.

This doesn't make the process any easier, but at least it helps me submit it earlier and its not considered fraudulent.

For those of us who need to submit the Need Access application

I called to ask about parent tax information if they a) haven't filed yet, and b) don't file federal income tax (they live in PR). They said that I should note in the "Special circumstances" section that the tax information I'm adding is for a PR income tax return, and that it is 2015's information since it will match exactly their 2015 return.

They also suggested to note anything and everything common for non-traditionals in this section, as schools will definitely read it. This is, of course, in addition to the student contacting schools' financial aid offices and telling them about these particular circumstances directly.

This doesn't make the process any easier, but at least it helps me submit it earlier and its not considered fraudulent.

Where is the Special Circumstances section? I don't think I've seen it yet, but I'm far from done with it.

Where is the Special Circumstances section? I don't think I've seen it yet, but I'm far from done with it.

Its at the very end of the student form. Unfortunately, you will have to click through the entire form to get to that section :/

You know, I really don't understand why NeedAccess asks for my parents' retirement account values. Ridiculous.

Good lord, the Need Access form is even more painful that I could have imagined. How are y'all estimating your income / income tax for this year?

Accepted to Brown!!! Received the email a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Good lord, the Need Access form is even more painful that I could have imagined. How are y'all estimating your income / income tax for this year?

Estimating the income wasn't too bad, just calculated my gross pay from January until May. Are they asking for us to estimate our federal/state tax for 2016? I don't remember seeing that question.

FYI, if you search for "need access ref x" you will find a document they put out that provides a few extra details about how to fill out each line. It only helped me with one question, though, so it might be best to call them.

Also, Im probably going to call them during my lunch hour about whether refusing to add some of the more perplexing parent information (retirement savings, debt, etc) will place us at a disadvantage when schools review our information. My parents do not appreciate that they're asking all this and frankly, neither do I.

Also, Im probably going to call them during my lunch hour about whether refusing to add some of the more perplexing parent information (retirement savings, debt, etc) will place us at a disadvantage when schools review our information. My parents do not appreciate that they're asking all this and frankly, neither do I.

Same here. The information I provided on the FAFSA was intrusive on its own; some of the questions they want me to ask my father for NeedAccess just make me cringe. I need to have a bit of a talk with my schools too.

I feel like I'm missing something. What is Need Access? Does everybody need to fill it out in addition to fafsa?

Are they asking for us to estimate our federal/state tax for 2016? I don't remember seeing that question.
Yeah, I believe the question asks for "estimated income tax paid - 2016." Estimating my income wasn't too bad but I'm completely ignorant about tax information. Haha.

I'd love to hear what they say when you call. So much of what I'm entering on this form is completely made up! Not sure how much of a factor it'll play.

I feel like I'm missing something. What is Need Access? Does everybody need to fill it out in addition to fafsa?
No, it depends on the school. Some schools use Need Access for institutional aid - but not all.

Yeah, I believe the question asks for "estimated income tax paid - 2016." Estimating my income wasn't too bad but I'm completely ignorant about tax information. Haha.

I'd love to hear what they say when you call. So much of what I'm entering on this form is completely made up! Not sure how much of a factor it'll play.

No, it depends on the school. Some schools use Need Access for institutional aid - but not all.
OK so schools that do use or will let me know if I need to fill it out?

List of Med Schools selectable in NeedAccess (If you're doing financial aid for one of these be sure and check if you have to do NeedAccess! some don't require it if you're over a certain age but some do). Hopefully I didn't miss any.

Alpert (Brown)
Boston University
Case Western Reserve
Columbia
Creighton (M3 and M4)
CUNY
David Geffen
Duke
Dartmouth
Harvard
Hofstra
Icahn (Mount Sinai)
Northwestern
NYU
Perelman
Pritzker
Quinnipiac
Stanford
University of Cincinnati
University of Pittsburgh
Rochester
VCU
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell
Western Michigan
Yale

Yeah! Are we thinking downtown or the 'burbs? Downtown is easier for me. And Wednesday works best.

I know @charlie517 and @Family practice PA are in the Seattleish area, but not so sure how easy it is for them to meet in Seattle.

@Eccesignum do you know what's better?

staying in the hostel above the shop and waking up to the smell of pie wafting in to your room.

Reactions: 3 users