2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I just withdrew from the interview that I had on April 9th, which opens up a spot. If any of you are interviewing at a later date and want to move up your interview, I'm sure they'll move your date if you call. Just a heads up for ya'll. this is for Harlem btw

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED TO MIDDLETOWN!!!!! EVERYONE KEEP CHASING THE DREAM! I HAVE FAILED MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT TODAY THE HARD WORK PAID OFF!!! IF I CAN MAKE IT, YOU CAN TOO!!!

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

I don’t know your story but I’m genuinely happy for you!

ACCEPTED TO MIDDLETOWN!!!!! EVERYONE KEEP CHASING THE DREAM! I HAVE FAILED MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT TODAY THE HARD WORK PAID OFF!!! IF I CAN MAKE IT, YOU CAN TOO!!!
When did you interview?!

Props to ya! Can't say I'm not jealous!
I’m sure you’re right behind me! Clearly we are all in this because we have a goal down the road and want to change the world in a positive way. Just keep your eye on that dream and it will definitely work out. I am a firm believer in “where there’s a will, there’s a way.” Setbacks are in the past. Keep looking forward and turn those negatives into positives.

Reactions: 8 users
I’m sure you’re right behind me! Clearly we are all in this because we have a goal down the road and want to change the world in a positive way. Just keep your eye on that dream and it will definitely work out. I am a firm believer in “where there’s a will, there’s a way.” Setbacks are in the past. Keep looking forward and turn those negatives into positives.
You sound like a really cool guy. Hopefully we're classmates! Yet to find out !

If someone gets accepted with pending pre requisites, what are the chances that the school will follow up with the grade? Someone asking who took a 2nd year physics class to fulfill last pre req since 1st year class was full and is worried about the exam (midterm average was 28%)

Thank you

If someone gets accepted with pending pre requisites, what are the chances that the school will follow up with the grade? Someone asking who took a 2nd year physics class to fulfill last pre req since 1st year class was full and is worried about the exam (midterm average was 28%)

Thank you
My opinion is they won't care, but I'm not very informed on the topic .

I'm new here, so I'd like to thank Gymnmedicine for answering the question about pre-requisites post acceptance. If anyone else can chime in on that, that would be awesome because I have a lot of stress, given the challenging nature of the course.

I'd also like to chime in on the waitlist question that many people here seem to have.

I interviewed February 21 for TouroCOM-Harlem. It was one of many interviews (both allopathic and osteopathic) I had but I left this particular interview feeling that I did poorly (which goes to show we are not good judges of our interview performance; I was told to consider their masters programs during my interview). 2 weeks later, I was on the waitlist (so if you felt you had a bad interview, hang in there). When I was waitlisted, I lost a lot of hope and did not know whether there would be movement off the waitlist or when I would find out. Rest assured after checking earlier years and threads for TouroCOM-NY, I found that there is indeed significant movement off the waitlist and much happens towards the end of this month and all throughout May (so stay positive and confident). This helped my morale significantly.

About 2 weeks after being waitlisted, I wrote a formal letter of intent sent and addressed to the dean and admissions committee. In this letter, I made 3 points and concluded (the whole letter was 1 page, 1.5 spacing)

1) I stated unequivocally that I will attend if accepted.
2) I mentioned two genuine and specific reasons why this school was my number 1 choice and related it to my personal experience. (too many people write generic letters that all seem desperate; try to distinguish yourself)

After submitting the letter of intent, I did not receive a confirmation that my letter was received and like many people who submit these letters, was worried about this.

About 2 weeks after submitting my letter of intent, I received a congratulatory email of my acceptance!

This whole application process is a journey with peaks and valleys, highs and lows and constant panicking and checking threads every 15 minutes of our existences. But if it means as much to you as it does to me, you'll find a way to navigate this. Life is not linear nor the same for everyone. It can be easy to get discouraged seeing peers start their careers and lives, while we have so much uncertainty. However, this journey will change us in ways we can't anticipate. This is my third application cycle and I made it, you can too!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm new here, so I'd like to thank Gymnmedicine for answering the question about pre-requisites post acceptance. If anyone else can chime in on that, that would be awesome because I have a lot of stress, given the challenging nature of the course.

I'd also like to chime in on the waitlist question that many people here seem to have.

I interviewed February 21 for TouroCOM-Harlem. It was one of many interviews (both allopathic and osteopathic) I had but I left this particular interview feeling that I did poorly (which goes to show we are not good judges of our interview performance; I was told to consider their masters programs during my interview). 2 weeks later, I was on the waitlist (so if you felt you had a bad interview, hang in there). When I was waitlisted, I lost a lot of hope and did not know whether there would be movement off the waitlist or when I would find out. Rest assured after checking earlier years and threads for TouroCOM-NY, I found that there is indeed significant movement off the waitlist and much happens towards the end of this month and all throughout May (so stay positive and confident). This helped my morale significantly.

About 2 weeks after being waitlisted, I wrote a formal letter of intent sent and addressed to the dean and admissions committee. In this letter, I made 3 points and concluded (the whole letter was 1 page, 1.5 spacing)

2) I mentioned two genuine and specific reasons why this school was my number 1 choice and related it to my personal experience. (too many people write generic letters that all seem desperate; try to distinguish yourself)

After submitting the letter of intent, I did not receive a confirmation that my letter was received and like many people who submit these letters, was worried about this.

About 2 weeks after submitting my letter of intent, I received a congratulatory email of my acceptance!

This whole application process is a journey with peaks and valleys, highs and lows and constant panicking and checking threads every 15 minutes of our existences. But if it means as much to you as it does to me, you'll find a way to navigate this. Life is not linear nor the same for everyone. It can be easy to get discouraged seeing peers start their careers and lives, while we have so much uncertainty. However, this journey will change us in ways we can't anticipate. This is my third application cycle and I made it, you can too!
Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations, I'm sure it's an awesome feeling

Can I love this? I don't know you, but I'm genuinely glad for you--The kind of future doc I'll be proud to call a colleague

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, I am loving how this thread has been such a positive space - you guys are wonderful!

Second - does anyone have an idea of when the committee might be meeting to discuss the March 12th interview? It's been four weeks and the wait is killing me!

Still waiting to hear from February 26th!

Interviewed 2/26. Also got the waitlist email. Did anyone receive an acceptance?

Interviewed on Feb 26th at Middletown, also got the waitlist email yesterday. That’s 2/2 waitlisted so here’s to some more waiting lol, good luck to everyone else!

Interviewed on Feb 26th at Middletown, also got the waitlist email yesterday. That’s 2/2 waitlisted so here’s to some more waiting lol, good luck to everyone else!
Same that’s my fifth waitlist. Good luck to you!

Does anyone have any idea how many people are in the Middletown waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
****! Its been a month since my interview, and I haven't heard anything yet! I interviewed at Middletown, and its really where I want to go because I loved the school, so we'll see how it goes.

Patience friend. They took 8 weeks for me! (Waitlisted).

****! Its been a month since my interview, and I haven't heard anything yet! I interviewed at Middletown, and its really where I want to go because I loved the school, so we'll see how it goes.
It took them over two months to give me a decision. It was absolutely EXCRUCIATING. Stay positive and try to keep yourself busy (aka don't obsessively check your email every 2 minutes bc it will literally make you go insane LOL). Best of luck to you!!!

It took them over two months to give me a decision. It was absolutely EXCRUCIATING. Stay positive and try to keep yourself busy (aka don't obsessively check your email every 2 minutes bc it will literally make you go insane LOL). Best of luck to you!!!
took me 9 weeks. Finally got accepted tho! lol patience.

Reactions: 2 users
This is more painful than waiting for my MCAT score to be released lol! Well, I guess there's no point in obsessively worrying. I'll post back when I get an email. Thanks a lot everyone, and best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

For Middletown people, be patient! People who interviewed in February had to wait two months due to all the snowstorms. We were informed by email. That may be why your decision is being delayed.

For those who have been accepted for a while now: Have you heard back positive about submitting things such as FAFSA, health records, and transcripts? I received one transcript confirmation but not from my other school. Left them a message a week ago but have not heard back yet.

For Middletown people, be patient! People who interviewed in February had to wait two months due to all the snowstorms. We were informed by email. That may be why your decision is being delayed.
I was informed that I'd hear back within 3-4 weeks, but I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm getting a bit nervous since this is the 4th week.

For those who have been accepted for a while now: Have you heard back positive about submitting things such as FAFSA, health records, and transcripts? I received one transcript confirmation but not from my other school. Left them a message a week ago but have not heard back yet.
One of your acceptance/deposit emails should have instructions on what to fill out online for FAFSA and health forms. I called Financial Aid, and they said that we should get FAFSA decisions near the end of May.

does anyone out there know whether touro harlem or nyitcom is ranked higher?

which school gets better residencies?

anyone deciding or already decided between the 2 have any insight into what influenced their decision?

Did you get your response from tourowaitlist yet?

anyone deciding or already decided between the 2 have any insight into what influenced their decision?

There’s a 2018 match discussion you can find on SDN and many people from different DO schools have posted the match lists from their schools. So you can check that and compare the two schools that way.

NYITCOM all the way man. Don't worry, I interviewed at middletown.

I’m starting to feel like there’s no major difference btwn DO schools. I’d chose a school based on location and cost of attendance (nyc vs Long Island). The match list is something the students worked for.

Also, consider the curriculum- nyit and touro have different ways of teaching (standard lecture vs flipped classroom).