2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine was just done! Really relieved to see my GPA is exactly how I calculated it.

Eww, looking at it now, I REALLY don't like the corrections they made. They changed my fresh/soph/jr/senior level for 80% of my classes, now I only have 12 units in my sophomore year?!
Congrats on squeaking in! That sounds really odd. Now I'm scared to see what they do to mine. I have like 240 credits....sheesh I hope they don't make a mess out of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, after I panicked after a rejection , I dropped 280 on adding 2 more schools to my app. Fingers crossed...

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on squeaking in! That sounds really odd. Now I'm scared to see what they do to mine. I have like 240 credits....sheesh I hope they don't make a mess out of it.
I have around 250, I initially broke them up into groupings as close to 30 units as I could, which grouped some years that I was attending part time together. They went by year regardless of how many units I had and threw everything else under senior year. Kind of changes the way my gpa trend looks, initially it was 2.3->1.2->4.0->3.9, now it is 2.8->1.0->1.6->3.8. None of my grades actually changed, so it is really just kinda annoying but oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting really worried about how I'm going to afford traveling for interviews, if I get any. I feel like I'm going to wind up limited to where I can attend interviews based on what is close enough to drive to within a few hours, which sucks when you would prefer a major change of scenery.

Last edited:
I'm getting really worried about how I'm going to afford traveling for interviews, if I get any. I feel like I'm going to wind up limited to where I can attend interviews based on what is close enough to drive to within a few hours, which sucks when you would prefer a major change of scenery.
Yeah I'm not at this point yet, but I'm already wondering how I can afford interviews. Especially since the applications themselves are so expensive.

Yeah I'm not at this point yet, but I'm already wondering how I can afford interviews. Especially since the applications themselves are so expensive.
Right, same. :/ I feel like, no matter how much I manage to set aside, it won't be enough when you need a plane ticket and hotel room at the minimum.

I am in the camp that hates the 'hold' status late into the cycle when you have been complete 'early' and especially when the school knows you are highly likely not to be selected. Last time I applied I was not given a decision by many schools till after months and months of waiting when other applicants to the same schools had received rejections. It makes planning your life a lot more difficult. I suppose it was a sign that I was competitive, but does it really take that long to decide that you are not competitive enough for their school? I know that since I have never been on an admissions committee I am not able to appreciate their perspective. But I needed to get this off my chest.
My other concern is when current students review applications, especially a traditional student reviewing a non traditional students application. What if that student can not relate to you or your experiences at all??? Especially when one could almost be old enough to be their momma.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

SAME!! I had the same situation last year and it was extremely frustrating. I received this notice from some schools as late as March, followed by a rejection in May. Didn't they realize they were going to reject me in March when they sent a hold out? I certainly did lol I'm a lot earlier in the game this year, because I took my MCAT in Sept. last year which really delayed my cycle, so I'm hoping that helps avoid some of the hold status' I received last year.

Also, where are students reviewing apps? I don't think this happens until interviews if you speak with med students but I could be totally wrong. I too feel like most med students would look at my app and not be able to relate given my nontrad status.

SAME!! I had the same situation last year and it was extremely frustrating. I received this notice from some schools as late as March, followed by a rejection in May. Didn't they realize they were going to reject me in March when they sent a hold out? I certainly did lol I'm a lot earlier in the game this year, because I took my MCAT in Sept. last year which really delayed my cycle, so I'm hoping that helps avoid some of the hold status' I received last year.

Also, where are students reviewing apps? I don't think this happens until interviews if you speak with med students but I could be totally wrong. I too feel like most med students would look at my app and not be able to relate given my nontrad status.

I had heard a recent med school grad say that. But then maybe he had reviewed them after he graduated.

Right, same. :/ I feel like, no matter how much I manage to set aside, it won't be enough when you need a plane ticket and hotel room at the minimum.
You can look into staying with a student host to save on hotel expenses. I agree that even one trip is expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Received my first secondary today from uc Davis. Expecting a downpour of the rest of them pretty soon. It begins....

I am done with secondaries as of 10 minutes ago. 28 flippin' secondaries.

And I am now the most free I have been since starting my post-bacc two years ago. I did classes and summer school then MCAT studying then primaries then secondaries. Now, I only have my job (scribing). What a bizarre feeling.

Reactions: 6 users
Super jealous @gribear, I have a couple left, and biochem is just killer right now. 12 week mixed grad student/450 level class (two different biochems, the online one happens to be the higher level one). Class started Monday, first exam was thurs, another one this Thursday, and final the Thursday after. 10 hours of lecture between exams.

Also to vent, I missed several questions that were complete BS. One was a citric acid cycle question, and he asked the product of the enzyme fumarase had double bonds. I said yes (it has two carbonyl carbons) but he had it as false. Apparently we were supposed to telepathically know that "does it have double bonds" means "excluding the two that connect oxygen". Also, in a class of 59, he currently only has 4 A's, a handful of B's, and the rest are C/D/F. I had the 2nd highest overal score last quarter in a class of around 65 people (he makes up his own curve), and got a 3.7. Pretty over it right now

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Super jealous @gribear, I have a couple left, and biochem is just killer right now. 12 week mixed grad student/450 level class (two different biochems, the online one happens to be the higher level one). Class started Monday, first exam was thurs, another one this Thursday, and final the Thursday after. 10 hours of lecture between exams.

Also to vent, I missed several questions that were complete BS. One was a citric acid cycle question, and he asked the product of the enzyme fumarase had double bonds. I said yes (it has two carbonyl carbons) but he had it as false. Apparently we were supposed to telepathically know that "does it have double bonds" means "excluding the two that connect oxygen". Also, in a class of 59, he currently only has 4 A's, a handful of B's, and the rest are C/D/F. I had the 2nd highest overal score last quarter in a class of around 65 people (he makes up his own curve), and got a 3.7. Pretty over it right now

What utter BS on that carbonyl question. I would challenge that, but he sounds like a jerk. Im sorry!! I took Orgo over last summer and had a similarly difficult time. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow non-trads! Graduated a few years ago, taught elementary school for a few years, and eventually made my way to medicine.

Applied to 16 schools (might add another couple of schools depending upon how I feel about doing more secondaries). LizzyM of ~79. Almost all of my secondaries are done, but I'm still working on some of the longer ones (like Duke's). Not really super rushed because I'm waiting for my school to finish my committee letter, which will probably take about another month. Frustrated I have to wait that long, but totally out of my control!

I can't imagine doing a compressed Biochem class. That was so much material even for a normal 4 month semester. Plus you've got to be able to argue that double bond question! If the question is ambiguous, you've got an argument!

And in other news, I succumbed to the pressure and submitted to one more school... I'm super annoyed that one of my letter writers still hasn't turned in his LOE and since I assigned my letters to schools when I submitted my primary, a handful of secondaries I have are still incomplete! So I decided to apply to one more school and not assign his LOE to that. I've written essays for the secondary prompts anyway so I'll be able to submit my secondary immediately after I receive it.

Ways to save money on interview expenses:

Traveling:
- drive when possible
- look at trains and buses too, not just planes
- use frequent flyer miles (your own and other people's)
- go on interview junkets (so schedule three interviews in one week-say, on M, W, and F of the same week-so you can fly to each place one way and make four flights total rather than three out-and-back flights, which would be a total of six flights)
- if flying, bring food with you (airport restaurants gouge you) and wait to drink anything until you get on board

Lodging:
- stay with students at the med school (many schools offer this is a service - to maximize your odds of finding a host, start contacting students early, and start at the bottom of the list, as the students at the top of the list tend to get contacted the most)
- stay with SDNers (I saved tons of money doing this while interviewing)
- share hotel rooms with fellow interviewees (did a bit of this too, with people I met through SDN)
- look at hostels or BnB
- stay with friends or relatives in that city

Food:
- again, always cheapest to make and bring your own (PB&J for the win)
- go to local grocery stores instead of eating out

Local Travel in Other Cities
- cabs are usually the most expensive way of getting a ride
- consider taking public transportation from the airport if available
- consider Uber
- if staying at a hotel, see if they offer a shuttle service (can often also be used to take you to the med school for your interview)
- if staying with a host, offer to pay your host to pick you up (many will do it for free)

You could have nontrad students reviewing your app too, you know. I did this as a med student adcom. :)

Also to vent, I missed several questions that were complete BS. One was a citric acid cycle question, and he asked the product of the enzyme fumarase had double bonds. I said yes (it has two carbonyl carbons) but he had it as false. Apparently we were supposed to telepathically know that "does it have double bonds" means "excluding the two that connect oxygen".
And on a completely different note, I agree that, while it's true that a carbonyl is not an unsaturated C=C bond, the question was indeed ambiguous as worded, and I would have conceded the point and given you credit for it. But it was a dumb question to begin with anyway. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 6 users
Got overwhelmed with work and other things this past week and basically didn't touch my secondaries. This will be the week that I get the ones I have so far (which is only 4 -- not verified yet) done. It has to be.

Do any of you know if there are ways to stop getting notifications from the school specific threads? If not I may need to quit SDN. I am getting way too caught up and upset by comparing myself to others who already have 5, 6, or even 7 II, and sad when schools I love have started rolling out II :(

So - how do I remove these notifications so I'm not tempted to head over there and bring myself down? Anybody know?

EDIT: I figured it out. I can't bear it, it really makes me doubt myself and compare myself to others to watch those threads! Killin the self esteem. I need to focus on my journey and successes, not the successes of others.

Last edited:
Do any of you know if there are ways to stop getting notifications from the school specific threads? If not I may need to quit SDN. I am getting way too caught up and upset by comparing myself to others who already have 5, 6, or even 7 II, and sad when schools I love have started rolling out II :(

So - how do I remove these notifications so I'm not tempted to head over there and bring myself down? Anybody know?

There's an "Unwatch Thread" button at the top next to the "Previous Thread" and "Next Thread" buttons. I know how you feel though... It's pretty heartbreaking to not get those II while other people are complaining about not getting IIs for all the schools they've submitted to.

I'm very happy that I have one though and it's a favorite school of mine so I just gotta stay positive and focus on nailing my one II. Hopefully you'll find some comfort in your one interview as well! :)

Last edited:
I'm very happy that I have one and though it's a favorite school of mine so I just gotta stay positive and focus on nailing my one II. Hopefully you'll find some comfort in your one interview as well! :)

This. I love Jeff. I need to focus on that. And I am so, so grateful for that early interview. I am going to try my best to focus all that negative/sad/heartbroken/"I'm not good enough" energy into positivity for that interview and knock it out of the park. Thanks for these words. This thread is why I'm not deleting my SDN account. You guys are the best.

EDIT: I figured it out. I can't bear it, it really makes me doubt myself and compare myself to others to watch those threads! Killin the self esteem. I need to focus on my journey and successes, not the successes of others.
You could keep them on watch in case you want to refer to them, and just change your notifications. I have mine set so that I only get alerts when someone quotes me or likes my post.

You could keep them on watch in case you want to refer to them, and just change your notifications. I have mine set so that I only get alerts when someone quotes me or likes my post.
Actually forgot about that. This is the setting that I use.

I feel everyone. As someone who is new to the forums and is just trying to get a better idea of where I stand, sometimes these alerts can be kinda maddening. I've submitted almost all of my secondaries, but my committee letter is going to take about another month to get to schools. So I know it will be at least 2+ months, at least, until I get any IIs. I have to remind myself to be patient, and be grateful that I even had the chance to apply to these schools.

I think what I tell myself is that I have done everything in my power to be the best applicant possible. Being totally honest with myself, I really think there's nothing else I could have done for my scenario. Comparing myself to others is kind of pointless because I'm a unique applicant, have my own personal strengths and weaknesses, etc. Hopefully, you can realize that, too! It's all about your mindset. :)

PS. Shout out to a fellow teacher applying! :D

I also want to add that most people reporting IIs right now have very high LizzyM scores, or at least that is my perception. I haven't kept any hard statistics. So I am hoping they will get to an 'average' applicant like me sometimes this month after they are done with all the applicants with high stats. Like many of you it has been a long road for me and the black box that is the med school application process does not make it any easier. At this time I keep asking my self if my secondary responses sucked or if my resume is not right for med school. But at this point in time nothing can be done. I hope all of you receive good news soon.

Woo! Just gotta stay positive.

Also keep in mind that SDN is a very self-selecting population. The most type A people out of the already type A pre-med group. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Not a word from the 4 California schools that screen. :-(. I was hoping for at least a secondary.

None of the UCs I applied to have sent me a secondary, including the UC that sent me one the last time I applied. It's still very early in the cycle.

I am OOS for UCs.

First II today, guys. I'm so happy right now.

I feel this post so much. I've been trying hard to get out of the cyclic thought patterns lately. I know overthinking doesn't get me anywhere, but that awareness doesn't really help in easing my anxiety. I feel ridiculous, because I'm aware it's just the beginning of a long, trying year. Honestly, this relief from getting an II is almost overwhelming. I'm going to ride the wave for as long as I can. Maybe even manage some actual sleep. That would be awesome.

Reactions: 5 users
First II today, guys. I'm so happy right now.

I feel this post so much. I've been trying hard to get out of the cyclic thought patterns lately. I know overthinking doesn't get me anywhere, but that awareness doesn't really help in easing my anxiety. I feel ridiculous, because I'm aware it's just the beginning of a long, trying year. Honestly, this relief from getting an II is almost overwhelming. I'm going to ride the wave for as long as I can. Maybe even manage some actual sleep. That would be awesome.

Congrats from one fellow RN to another. :thumbup:

It's funny how when other aspects of my life get stressful, I let it creep in to my app anxiety. I've been super good about staying off school specific threads other then when I actually need to see if there is info on something - like how western has apps for both campus' on my dashboard, but never sent me my Oregon one - but with biochem, work being more awful than usual, and some other stuff, I found myself checking all my portals even this weekend, going through all the school threads, etc.

It's really remarkable how much this process can take out of a person. With that said, with the exception of two second campus secondaries that I will just be copying pasting whenever they decide to actually send them out, I am all submitted. Thank you baby Jesus, thank you Taco Bell. If you don't chew big red, then F&CK YOU.

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Only two secondaries left (well, plus one other, assuming I pass the screen)! One of them is Duke's, though. Ugh.
I'm finishing up my last prereq class this summer, so the last couple of weeks have been absolutely brutal, studying and writing secondaries. Can't wait to be done. Have forgotten what it's like to have free time.

I just got verified!!!! They didn't alter a single thing! I'm crying in the middle of the student union. Man this process makes me so emotional. Every step feels like a huge milestone!

Bring on the secondaries!!!! Excited for you!

Just found this thread. I'm a non-trad applying this cycle. Just have three more secondaries to finish! Fingers crossed I receive the third one from a school that does a heavy pre-screen. Shout out to all the other veterans applying this cycle!

Reactions: 7 users
17 secondaries submitted, finishing 4 more this week, waiting on 4 more (3 of which I'm very unlikely to receive). For those of you beasting 20+ secondaries already, I'm in awe of you.

For real, I don't understand how people can force themselves to write that much (20+ secondaries). Really impressive.

For us nontrads, what is everyone doing during their gap year?

I just got verified!!!! They didn't alter a single thing! I'm crying in the middle of the student union. Man this process makes me so emotional. Every step feels like a huge milestone!

YEAH! Excited for you. Get them secondaries in!

For real, I don't understand how people can force themselves to write that much (20+ secondaries). Really impressive.

Working part-time, school full-time, and generally getting my life in order.

BUT, more importantly, going to Europe next week! :nod:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
YEAH! Excited for you. Get them secondaries in!

Working part-time, school full-time, and generally getting my life in order.

BUT, more importantly, going to Europe next week! :nod:

It has to be a good sign that the first post-verification secondary I got was my #1 OOS school, right?

I am a nuclear medicine technologist by day, student by night. I am going to try to keep up my full time status at the hospital so I don't lose my benefits while taking Biochem... I am in this lovely limbo where my manager doesn't care if I have a lab report due and my professors don't appreciate my pager going off during class.

I keep checking my applicant portals like there's going to be some kind of change without an email... boo
I'm only complete at one school so far, and I've already checked it like 5 times haha

I keep checking my applicant portals like there's going to be some kind of change without an email... boo

THIS is my life right now. Gahhhh. Doesn't help that Jeff let me know of my interview on the portal Five days before I got the email. So now I feel like I have to check!