2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank the heavens -- OHSU approved my in-state residency and I am officially complete. PHEW!

@HopefulPilot I am sure you are close behind

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So guys, need a few options. Like many of you here we have pretty much done many other things/degrees but medicine and I just got hit with the "why now" question and I know why now somewhere in the depths of my brain and heart but not sure how to articulate it so ideas people, why now for you guys?

Did you have late exposure to medicine as in not ever having considered it till later in your life due to some event, or was it a slowly developing interest? Just put your random thoughts down on paper to get started and then adding to it. Finally you can go back and start editing. That worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, medicine started early for me - my version of a dollhouse as a kid was a hospital with staff to boot lol but then life happened... and I am struggling with articulating that on paper because of how personal it was. So my issue now is conveying just enough to adequately answer the questions but not feel like I gave too much of me away, if that makes sense.

It does. You should write all details down, including personal ones. You will find that due to word limit, you will have to cut down all you wrote. As you cut down, you will naturally remove a lot of details that you didn't feel comfortable sharing. But you have to get started to get anywhere with it. You can also Google ideas on how to word personal life events without sharing details. I myself feel very uncomfortable sharing personal issues, so I understand. I am confident you will find a way to articulate your thoughts, but not if you don't get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two II this week. Feeling blessed. But also relieved that my secondary responses were not a total disaster and that my LORs did not raise any major concerns.
Both are MMI. I have no experience with those. So I have some prep to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I have also been complete for 2 weeks with no II's, so those of you who haven't heard anything aren't alone. Remembering that it's a long, labor-intensive process for schools and trying to keep neuroticism at bay. First rejection last week - so hard to resist the last-minute addition of more schools out of reactionary insecurity. Thinking of you all this week as I resist the temptation to constantly refresh my email. It's still early.

Reactions: 1 users
I have also been complete for 2 weeks with no II's, so those of you who haven't heard anything aren't alone. Remembering that it's a long, labor-intensive process for schools and trying to keep neuroticism at bay. First rejection last week - so hard to resist the last-minute addition of more schools out of reactionary insecurity. Thinking of you all this week as I resist the temptation to constantly refresh my email. It's still early.

I set the email alert on my phone to vibrate in a heartbeat pattern. "buzz, buzz.... buzz, buzz"

Looking back, it probably wasn't the best idea since it's drove me absolutely nuts thinking about the potential for my first II or rejection each time it goes off.

Telemarketers and T-Mobile text messages aren't helping me.

First II, and at my #1 school. Still have only heard back from RVU-CO other then the news that just came, so waiting on 28 schools. After a cycle last year with nothing, this felt so. so. good.

And doing full time 50+ hours work, 30 secondaries, and taking condensed biochem (my final is tomorrow). Naps and beers will be in large demand hopefully soon

Reactions: 10 users
Quick question:
Are you guys taking class in the fall or just working/interviewing?

First II, and at my #1 school. Still have only heard back from RVU-CO other then the news that just came, so waiting on 28 schools. After a cycle last year with nothing, this felt so. so. good.

And doing full time 50+ hours work, 30 secondaries, and taking condensed biochem (my final is tomorrow). Naps and beers will be in large demand hopefully soon

Good job mavric. Congrat

My AMCAS should be verified today or Monday and I am trying to finalize my school list. I'm a non-trad obviously. Wondering if I could get some feedback based on my stats. I have a >3.9 for my pre-reqs but took a college math class my senior year of high school (10 years ago) that drags my BCPM GPA down to ~3.7. This was obviously before I had even considered medical school. Wondering how others in a similar situation approached their school selection?

My AMCAS should be verified today or Monday and I am trying to finalize my school list. I'm a non-trad obviously. Wondering if I could get some feedback based on my stats. I have a >3.9 for my pre-reqs but took a college math class my senior year of high school (10 years ago) that drags my BCPM GPA down to ~3.7. This was obviously before I had even considered medical school. Wondering how others in a similar situation approached their school selection?

3.7 is still great. I'm not sure I'd let that 1 grade from your high school period affect school selection at all.

My situation is slightly similar. Couple of Bs in dual-enrollment high school classes, and science classes as a freshman (that I ended up retaking for my post-bacc for a 4.0), which brought my GPA down. Seeing as how your GPA is still a 3.7, I'd say that your GPA isn't going to keep you out of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a term of 5 F's while dual enrolled because I didn't turn in a drop form. Don't stress over having a 3.7 because of it...your are still in the upper half

Bought my suit for my interview! I'm really excited actually. I finally got a suit that fits nicely and makes me feel like an adult, not a kid playing dress up with his older brother's suit. And I got the most ridiculous deal! Full suit, 2 shirts, a tie and socks at Macy's for only $380!!! I mean come on. Such a great day. And it's GF approved so thats good haha

Reactions: 5 users
Got two IIs! Things are getting real guys

Reactions: 7 users
took a long time off of SDN

App got verified, and my SMP/graduate GPA came in at a solid 3.73 from the 2.8 that I had in UG.
Secondaries in, here's hoping they take a chance on me!

Reactions: 3 users
Aww got my first rejection last night. Waking up to one of those def doesn't feel good, especially since I really really liked that school. :( I can't complain though since I've got quite a few II in hand. Just gotta stay positive and focused on those!

AMCAS finally verified me last night, and 5 more secondaries rushed in. Now I have 6 to do and 4 more schools I haven't received one from so far. I'm glad things are finally getting rolling, but my overwhelmededness levels, financially and time wise, just shot up. Think I'm going to pick my top 3 or 4 for now and see if I start getting any IIs for a bit before I work on the others. But first...I have a Pokemon egg to hatch. :p

I have to do two secondaries at schools I have a shot at ASAP so I can get in line for interviews while there are still spots! :)

Just got my first II! So much relief! Maybe now I won't feel so compelled to check SDN every 5 minutes.

Reactions: 11 users
Just got my first II! So much relief! Maybe now I won't feel so compelled to check SDN every 5 minutes.
Congrats!!!! I'm so happy to hear of my fellow non trads'successes!

In part because it gives me hope!;)

Anyone else still waiting for their first ii with secondaries completed in early July?

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!!! I'm so happy to hear of my fellow non trads'successes!

In part because it gives me hope!;)

Anyone else still waiting for their first ii with secondaries completed in early July?
Yep.... 2 in late June, 2 in mid July, 2 in late july. Nothing yet

Just got my first rejection. Womp womp. Not a school I was in love with, so I'm not terribly upset. Glad they let me know quickly instead of playing a waiting game!

On to the next one.

Same. How should I be interpreting no II, while others submitted around the same time (and later) are getting them?

You shouldn't take anything from it. We don't know anything about the process, aka maybe yours is in a stack for a person that's slow, maybe they have some sort of priorities etc. The cycle is long, stay strong and don't let it get to you

First DO II today, so up to two so far and two rejections.

This early in the cycle tho, I'd take silence over a rejection any day!
I'll take silence "happily" for the first 3-4 months. After that, I will hope for any response. :)

A few interview tidbits I wanted to pass along:

* Everyone I've interviewed with seems completely nonplussed by my age and non-trad background. I have had one comment about my age (early 30s) only for the guy to mention that he thought it was a good age to go into medicine.
* Having a unique personal background and achievements really makes you stand out. Multiple comments have been made about the things that stand out about my application and how lots of people have looked at it since the story is so different than the usual.
* Feeling comfortable in your own skin while wearing business attire gives you more confidence about your presentation. Several of the recent graduates who have interviewed with me have commented about feeling like dressing up in their suits. While I don't love wearing it, I certainly feel authoritative and comfortable, and I think that stands out.
* The interview days are long, especially if you're traveling on the front or back end. Prepare yourself mentally for that and eat the food when it's there! A lot of the recent grads are nervous about "eating too much" at breakfast and had like half a Danish, then got uncomfortably hungry before lunch. You're going to be so jazzed on adrenaline and walking and energetic that you won't be at your best by not eating. Be professional, but don't freak out about eating what's given.

Reactions: 6 users
Like others said. Be patient. You cannot do anything anyway if u're worried. Apply broadly, do your best and let fate decide. I'm much happier since I apply that mentality.

A few interview tidbits I wanted to pass along:

* Everyone I've interviewed with seems completely nonplussed by my age and non-trad background. I have had one comment about my age (early 30s) only for the guy to mention that he thought it was a good age to go into medicine.
* Having a unique personal background and achievements really makes you stand out. Multiple comments have been made about the things that stand out about my application and how lots of people have looked at it since the story is so different than the usual.
* Feeling comfortable in your own skin while wearing business attire gives you more confidence about your presentation. Several of the recent graduates who have interviewed with me have commented about feeling like dressing up in their suits. While I don't love wearing it, I certainly feel authoritative and comfortable, and I think that stands out.
* The interview days are long, especially if you're traveling on the front or back end. Prepare yourself mentally for that and eat the food when it's there! A lot of the recent grads are nervous about "eating too much" at breakfast and had like half a Danish, then got uncomfortably hungry before lunch. You're going to be so jazzed on adrenaline and walking and energetic that you won't be at your best by not eating. Be professional, but don't freak out about eating what's given.

So I'm an athlete and I have to eat between 8000 and 10000 a day, with meals about every 2 hours or so. Think it will look bad if I bring my own food? Suggestions on how to handle this without getting way hungry or crashing?

So I'm an athlete and I have to eat between 8000 and 10000 a day, with meals about every 2 hours or so. Think it will look bad if I bring my own food? Suggestions on how to handle this without getting way hungry or crashing?

What about something like almonds that are easy to carry, quiet to eat, and full of protein? Just make sure to drink water afterward so they don't get stuck in your teeth.

Admissions committees don't always read in order. At this point, it may mean nothing.

What about something like almonds that are easy to carry, quiet to eat, and full of protein? Just make sure to drink water afterward so they don't get stuck in your teeth.

My first thought was peanut butter sandwiches. Will try to stealth eat.

@Riles Depends on the school. At some of my interviews last year they provided snacks (cookies, almonds, trail mix, muffins, granola bars, etc) throughout and had no issues with bringing additional food. I brought a peanut butter sandwich in my bag but never got a chance to actually eat it at two interviews. One school only allowed water in their "receiving/briefing room" but provided lunch in a different room. I would highly recommend emailing or calling admissions once you get an II date so you can properly prepare.

@Riles Depends on the school. At some of my interviews last year they provided snacks (cookies, almonds, trail mix, muffins, granola bars, etc) throughout and had no issues with bringing additional food. I brought a peanut butter sandwich in my bag but never got a chance to actually eat it at two interviews. One school only allowed water in their "receiving/briefing room" but provided lunch in a different room. I would highly recommend emailing or calling admissions once you get an II date so you can properly prepare.

Sounds good. I will check in with schools as interviews (hopefully) come up.

Hi - I'm just slogging through - have two secondaries to do. Trying to do and submit one at a time.
Work starting next Monday. Already have low energy so I am worried how I will manage it all.

so I just realized that I made a big mistake on one of my secondaries (I pasted in a sentence about another school) and idk if i should just withdraw it altogether

Same. How should I be interpreting no II, while others submitted around the same time (and later) are getting them?

I sincerely don't know what to feel. I don't think it's neurotic to think to myself, "what the heck?", when I see people who submitted secondaries 1-3 weeks after me get IIs while I just refresh my inbox =).

I sincerely don't know what to feel. I don't think it's neurotic to think to myself, "what the heck?", when I see people who submitted secondaries 1-3 weeks after me get IIs while I just refresh my inbox =).
its hard for me as well. its starting to become a bit of a bummer to be sitting here with 0 IIs. i know its early, so lets keep our heads up? or something. lol.

MASH, Lost, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Shameless, True Detective, Anthony Bourdain stuff...

@HopefulPilot Strangely Scrubs has been deemed as the most accurate portrayal of a doctor going through internship. Not the comedy aspect but the actual neurotic aspects, fears, and various medical situations (the intern reaction to specifically) that occur.

I just started Stranger Things. It's absolutely living up to the hype.

If you're not watching the Olympics you have a problem. I just watched the first American woman win gold in wrestling.

She cried. I cried. It was beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Silicon Valley
GoT
Stranger Things
Broadchurch
Sherlocke

I just re-watched HIMYM and friends and I'm realizing now how un-funny they are