2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First interview two days from now (of... a lot. I'm one of those guys who guys were kvetching about earlier with a LizzyM in the 80 range) and I'm freaking out a little. I travel tomorrow at way too early o'clock in the morning then drive for a couple hours to get to my student host. I've packed four outfits for a one-night trip and feel like a fool (one for post-travel Wednesday events, then suit, travel home outfit and "oops I spilled something" backup). And my cat is livid that I'm leaving two days after I got back from a family visit.

But I'm mostly hyperventilating about what is probably a terribly low-key interview. This is the best/worst.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
THIS is my life right now. Gahhhh. Doesn't help that Jeff let me know of my interview on the portal Five days before I got the email. So now I feel like I have to check!

WHAT! No, don't tell me that, ugh. As if I needed more reasons to keep checking the damned portals. I am complete at 28 schools, dammit.

First interview two days from now (of... a lot. I'm one of those guys who guys were kvetching about earlier with a LizzyM in the 80 range) and I'm freaking out a little. I travel tomorrow at way too early o'clock in the morning then drive for a couple hours to get to my student host. I've packed four outfits for a one-night trip and feel like a fool (one for post-travel Wednesday events, then suit, travel home outfit and "oops I spilled something" backup). And my cat is livid that I'm leaving two days after I got back from a family visit.

But I'm mostly hyperventilating about what is probably a terribly low-key interview. This is the best/worst.

Breeeeathe. LizzyM 80+, you better believe you got this! Also, totally with you on the four-outfits-one-night thing. I do that all the time. Drives my husband insane, but you just never know! As long as I don't exceed one suitcase, what does it matter, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it sounds like you're in a good position to succeed in this cycle! I mean multiple II?? Clearly you're doing something right! So good job! And relax! This school likes you since you got a (very early!) II. So now just show them who you are. Show them that there is a genuine and compassionate person behind those great stats and ECs. It'll all work out :)

So, I called OHSU today because I was concerned regarding why other people who submitted after me were complete and I wasn't. Turns out I am "pending verification" of my OR residency, as I did an out of state post-bacc program in Minnesota and am still living out here. The (very helpful) woman on the phone wasn't able to give me an exact timetable for this, but at least I have some clarity now about why there is a delay. Hopefully this verification doesn't take long. I just want to be complete so I can be considered for an interview, IS or OOS (with heritage)!

My first rejection today. Having gone through this process before I am happy about an early decision. You send out a hundred resumes, you get a few bites and even fewer job offers. That is life. I hope for better news in the coming days, weeks, months, and yes maybe even a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
My first rejection today. Having gone through this process before I am happy about an early decision. You send out a hundred resumes, you get a few bites and even fewer job offers. That is life. I hope for better news in the coming days, weeks, months, and yes maybe even a year.

If I sound like an old person, I am.

The other day I had said that I could almost be old enough to be some med schools student's mom. I would like to correct myself. I am definitely old enough to be many med school students' mom.

Reactions: 3 users
Not the start I was looking for. Rejected at rocky vista CO which would have meant living by my brother, and one of the places I lived, and loved.

Bummer cause I have higher then average matriculation stats, was in early, and think I had pretty damn good essays. My EC's are great too, but it's hard to not question everything being rejected so fast

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I'm a little late joining this forum, but glad to share this journey with fellow nontrads. This process is a roller coaster and it's easy for me to give in to neuroticism. I so appreciate hearing your stories. Best wishes to everyone courageous enough to embark on this path. We're all in this together.

Reactions: 1 users
Not the start I was looking for. Rejected at rocky vista CO which would have meant living by my brother, and one of the places I lived, and loved.

Bummer cause I have higher then average matriculation stats, was in early, and think I had pretty damn good essays. My EC's are great too, but it's hard to not question everything being rejected so fast

Sorry about the disappointment. I had a rejection last weekend too, from my alma mater (can you believe it)? I know how you feel. My rejection was quickly followed by an interview invitation, so please don't let you or your candidacy be defined by this decision. It's their loss.

Receiving a rejection from a place you have a connection would be very disheartening. I hope the rest of the cycle goes better for you.

I really like the option that some schools provide for 'additional information' of our choice on the secondary. I feel this is the best place to highlight any connection you have to the school or why the location is desirable for you if you currently live on the other side of the country. I sometimes don't know why a school would pick me if I have no connection to it or live far from it. I have been wanting to add a few more schools but I always stop myself because I don't know if those schools will take me seriously because of this reason. To me all schools offer a basic set of opportunities: research and volunteer. Some have required research, some have a more robust global outreach program, some stress biomedical advances, so when one mentions those as things that attract you about the school within a limited space, it almost feels like one could add 'but I know other schools have similar offerings'. To me the only thing that would set me apart is a connection of some kind or interest in very specific research that they are known for. But a lot of times schools don't provide opportunity in the secondary app to highlight that kind of interest. And that is why the med school process can be maddening. And this is also why I don't ask 'if I have a chance' because nobody can answer that question. The only info I monitor is if II went to people who were complete before or after me and what their stats were. Because that way I can gauge if I have been passed up during that round of reviews.

One thing to keep in mind, is some of time the app evaluators aren't even directly connected with the school - so something uber specific like that might hit home as much as you would think (they prolly won't even know what you are talking about). Several schools have info on who makes up the committees/screeners, and from what i've seen a lot of time it isn't just people working for the school, it's "people in the community that have an interest in the school"

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to keep in mind, is some of time the app evaluators aren't even directly connected with the school - so something uber specific like that might hit home as much as you would think (they prolly won't even know what you are talking about). Several schools have info on who makes up the committees/screeners, and from what i've seen a lot of time it isn't just people working for the school, it's "people in the community that have an interest in the school"

Yet another twist to add to to the unpredictability.

Just wanted to drop a little encouragement to those worried about age...at orientation today I found out that at 36, I'm only the third oldest in my class (and there's yet another close in years right behind me). We're out there. Now go gettum!

Reactions: 14 users
Sorry to hear that -- could you apply to CU SOM? There's always residency in CO! (I say this as a CO native.)

Just wanted to drop a little encouragement to those worried about age...at orientation today I found out that at 36, I'm only the third oldest in my class (and there's yet another close in years right behind me). We're out there. Now go gettum!
There were quite a few people 30+ in the post-bacc program I just finished, and a few with kids! Made me happy that people were pursuing their dreams. :) (In fact, I was one of the younguns at 25.)

Unrelated, but I'm really torn on what to do during my gap year. I have a job lined up as a med tech at a local clinic (wanted more clinical experience and something to talk about at interviews).

But, I've been looking into MCAT tutoring more, and I could make a lot more money (like twice as much) doing that. The problem is that I don't really need any more teaching experience, as I'm a former teacher. So, it would be a job that wouldn't really contribute to my application at all, just more money/flexibility. Decisions, decisions.

Was it a pre-secondary rejection saying you didn't meet their minimum technical standards? They had an issue with mistake rejections last year (I was one, they reversed it later but I never completed the secondary). If it says that and you do actually meet their minimums I'd contact them and just be sure it wasn't accidental.

Rooting on from the sidelines
Good luck my fellow non trads!!!

@MC_Infarction i kinda had a similar situation. I could've done more clinically related work, but instead I went for research (which I have had thousands of hours of already) because it paid 3X more. I figured I needed the money to pay for the app cycle anyway and I could always just volunteer to add on to my clinical experience.

Having a hard time with these secondaries. I'm having the same issues others mentioned about not being very good at describing their experiences and attributes in captivating ways. Of course I think I provide diversity. I'm nontraditional as heck (and also a URM). How to put that into elegant words is another thing. Combined with a flare up of some health issues the past few days, I'm just so frustrated. Will try again tomorrow morning. :)

Was it a pre-secondary rejection saying you didn't meet their minimum technical standards? They had an issue with mistake rejections last year (I was one, they reversed it later but I never completed the secondary). If it says that and you do actually meet their minimums I'd contact them and just be sure it wasn't accidental.

Unfortunately not, got the "due to a highly competitive application pool" email.

On a different note - I'm pretty thrilled about this;

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 10.48.25 AM.png

Gotta stay positive about something!

Reactions: 5 users
Having a hard time with these secondaries. I'm having the same issues others mentioned about not being very good at describing their experiences and attributes in captivating ways. Of course I think I provide diversity. I'm nontraditional as heck (and also a URM). How to put that into elegant words is another thing. Combined with a flare up of some health issues the past few days, I'm just so frustrated. Will try again tomorrow morning. :)

My advice is that you do the secondaries for schools that are lower on the choice list for you or ones that are reach schools first. For me this seems to work well, because I come up with better ways to articulate my thoughts as I fill out more and more secondaries. Do what works best for you.

A couple notes I thought y'all might appreciate from an interview.

The first was that both of my interviewers emphasized how schools really like non-traditional applicants, though they didn't expand on why (and it obviously wasn't my place to ask), and I could tell my career-changing story had left an impression on them. The second was that students mentioned there was a 54 year old in one of their classes. I think she may have been an M3, but I didn't get clarification.

The first was that both of my interviewers emphasized how schools really like non-traditional applicants, though they didn't expand on why (and it obviously wasn't my place to ask), and I could tell my career-changing story had left an impression on them. The second was that students mentioned there was a 54 year old in one of their classes. I think she may have been an M3, but I didn't get clarification.

I could not love this post more! So, are you going to tell us what city you are in? I think I can guess.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I prefer to keep most of that private on the main threads, but I will happily answer more detailed questions via message. Beyond that, consider me from Dillon. :)

Sounds like you had a successful interview! Well done!

So I've been fortunate enough to recieve a couple more II, but I had to schedule my first back to back interview... Nothing about this feels good. I had the first one scheduled already and the second invite only offered 2 days, the day of prior interview and the day after. I only have to drive 4 hours after my first interview, fly to a different city to stay at a buddy's place, and then drive for an hour in the morning. What could go wrong?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
So I've been fortunate enough to recieve a couple more II, but I had to schedule my first back to back interview... Nothing about this feels good. I had the first one scheduled already and the second invite only offered 2 days, the day of prior interview and the day after. I only have to drive 4 hours after my first interview, fly to a different city to stay at a buddy's place, and then drive for an hour in the morning. What could go wrong?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
Pass on some of the II luck. I mean I'm sure you applied to way more places than me, but I still have nothing....

Pass on some of the II luck. I mean I'm sure you applied to way more places than me, but I still have nothing....

It's a long cycle man. I applied to 29 schools.

So excited for all of you who have received II's! Congratulations guys! Realize it's early, but I'm in Colorado - if any of you are headed to CU Denver and need info about the area feel free to reach out.

Uh oh. I just realized I put the wrong date on one of my experiences on my amcas. I meant to put 8/15 but I put down 8/16 . Nothing I can do about it now. But how much do y'all think I need to freak out?

Uh oh. I just realized I put the wrong date on one of my experiences on my amcas. I meant to put 8/15 but I put down 8/16 . Nothing I can do about it now. But how much do y'all think I need to freak out?
Lol no. You're fine.

Super jealous @gribear, I have a couple left, and biochem is just killer right now. 12 week mixed grad student/450 level class (two different biochems, the online one happens to be the higher level one). Class started Monday, first exam was thurs, another one this Thursday, and final the Thursday after. 10 hours of lecture between exams.

Also to vent, I missed several questions that were complete BS. One was a citric acid cycle question, and he asked the product of the enzyme fumarase had double bonds. I said yes (it has two carbonyl carbons) but he had it as false. Apparently we were supposed to telepathically know that "does it have double bonds" means "excluding the two that connect oxygen". Also, in a class of 59, he currently only has 4 A's, a handful of B's, and the rest are C/D/F. I had the 2nd highest overal score last quarter in a class of around 65 people (he makes up his own curve), and got a 3.7. Pretty over it right now

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Wait, you guys have multiple choice tests? You don't need to develop synthesis pathways or determine the products of certain reactants?

Another Monday with no overnight II's :(:nailbiting: 24 secondaries submitted so far, 0 II's.

Letters were in to AMCAS 7/22 so it's been a full 2 business weeks now, and my application is objectively very strong on paper... But I'm getting more and more worried that the subjective aspects (essays, activity descriptions) are going to hold me back. In retrospect both my PS and diversity essay are pretty cringy :mad:

If I don't get any II's this week I'll go from Defcon 5 to Defcon 4 panic level and start doing more secondaries.

Another Monday with no overnight II's :(:nailbiting: 24 secondaries submitted so far, 0 II's.

Letters were in to AMCAS 7/22 so it's been a full 2 business weeks now, and my application is objectively very strong on paper... But I'm getting more and more worried that the subjective aspects (essays, activity descriptions) are going to hold me back. In retrospect both my PS and diversity essay are pretty cringy :mad:

If I don't get any II's this week I'll go from Defcon 5->4 panic level and start doing more secondaries.
I had 2 secondaries submitted within a couple days of the June 24 opening. 2 more early/mid July within a couple days of receiving them, and 2 more that I added on a week and a half ago, and still no II's. You're not alone lol. The stress is eating me alive.

If I don't get any II's this week I'll go from Defcon 5 to Defcon 4 panic level and start doing more secondaries.

It's very early. Plus. Also, just because AMCAS has your letters doesn't mean your app looks complete yet to your schools. Heck, it's taking some of mine 3 weeks to confirm letters. Most won't consider for interview until you show complete. It's even entirely too early to go into Defcon even if your letters were received earlier.

I had 2 secondaries submitted within a couple days of the June 24 opening. 2 more early/mid July within a couple days of receiving them, and 2 more that I added on a week and a half ago, and still no II's. You're not alone lol. The stress is eating me alive.

Are you only applying to 6 schools?!! :nailbiting: If you're that committed to a particular area, maybe there are DO schools you could also look at?

Are you only applying to 6 schools?!! :nailbiting: If you're that committed to a particular area, maybe there are DO schools you could also look at?
Yeah because I have a family and can't afford to move. And there's only one DO school in my state.
I only applied MD anyways, because I figured I had a pretty strong app. LizzyM 76. No research and volunteer hours are on the lower side, but I'm a veteran, so I figured I'd have a couple bites by now.

Just gotta be patient I guess.

Submitted 15/29 secondaries. Complete at 3 schools. Still need to submit 12 secondaries this week. I'm hanging in there but this processes is pretty rough so far.

Got an II from a school I have dreamed about for a long time. That quite made my night. Still a long way to go (and who knows, my impressions of it in person may be entirely different from my thoughts about it now), but it's a nice feeling I'm going to use to get me through some of this waiting game.

Checking in here now that I discovered this thread. About to complete my last secondary. Anyone else working full time while trying to get through this app cycle? i need a long nap after this

Checking in here now that I discovered this thread. About to complete my last secondary. Anyone else working full time while trying to get through this app cycle? i need a long nap after this

Yes, working full-time. July was a special kind of torture...I did 29 secondaries while working 40+ hours per week. We feel you!

Welcome!

Also working full time about 60 hrs a week. My wife is getting tired of spending our free time on secondaries haha.

I hear ya. I'm working 40-50, but my commute is 1 hour each way :confused:

My fiance started complaining about that too.

Yes, working full-time. July was a special kind of torture...I did 29 secondaries while working 40+ hours per week. We feel you!

Hats off to you! That's almost double the amount I did!

Moved cross country yesterday by myself with suitcases that weigh more than me and a very scared cat on an airplane. What an adventure. Falling a little behind on secondaries. Is it a death sentence to exceed the 2 week rule? I'm hoping that since I'm an smp student and they won't review my app asap maybe it's not a big deal. My goal now is to have everything done by labor day.

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Good Tuesday morning my fellow non-trads! I know waiting can be excruciating. After my first II two weeks ago, I became seriously depressed because all I had got since was complete silence from all the schools. Then yesterday two IIs hit me two hours apart from places I thought were out of my reach to begin with. Stay strong y'all! Don't be miserable like me...

So much truth to these words. I was feeling pretty low since I had silence since my first II in mid-July. Then I got another II yesterday from the school in my current city and feel a lot better. Waiting definitely sucks but will be worth it!

As an aside, the red tape to determine my Oregon residency is really killing me. OHSU is doing their best, but it seems its going to take a very long time for them to process my IS verification. But, the waiting will be worth it in the end! I just hope its not too late by the time I am IS verified.

Got another II and its for my top non-reach school! So pumped!!!

but also these cross country trips are really hurting my bank account... I could stack my two interviews on top of each other to save some money since their both in SoCal but I'm also thinking that I should take some time between the two just so I can assess how I did in my first and be more prepared for my #1.

But hey, at least I'll free round trip tickets for a random vacation pretty soon! :D

lol. my husband is pushing me to finish them. I thought about not finishing all of them, but he was like, hell no! :) He's been good support.

I'm so happy for my fellow non trads!!

As for me, its getting harder and harder to complete secondaries as ii's come out and I don't receive any. Totally childish but it's hard to reason with yourself when going through such an emotional process

Last edited: