2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checking in. Hope the cycle is going well for everyone. Third interview invite came in today, but the MMI panic is beginning to set in since my interview dates are soon. Goodluck everyone <3

good luck! you're nervous for upcoming dates, meanwhile I'm sitting here biting my nails from anxiety of waiting forever. Both of my interviews are scheduled for late Jan and Feb, although I got the invites in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Any kind folk here to read a short essay for me??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checking in. Hope the cycle is going well for everyone. Third interview invite came in today, but the MMI panic is beginning to set in since my interview dates are soon. Goodluck everyone <3

Don't panic about MMI!!! I seriously had fun at mine and it was very low stress.

Reactions: 1 user
Finished my first interview! I'm kinda bummed coz I feel like I could've done so much better :/ totally bombed the physician assisted suicide question I think. I didn't do a good job of reasoning out my opinion especially when challenged... Oh well just gotta hope for the best at this point I suppose.:shrug:

Stopping by to say good luck to all the nontrads with interviews! If anyone is interviewing at UNRSOM, let me know. We can meet up and chat.

Finished my first interview! I'm kinda bummed coz I feel like I could've done so much better :/ totally bombed the physician assisted suicide question I think. I didn't do a good job of reasoning out my opinion especially when challenged... Oh well just gotta hope for the best at this point I suppose.:shrug:

I think they are also looking for if you were able to maintain your calm when challenged. Also remember that the interview is one part of your application and you likely did not do much worse, if at all compared to other interviewers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think they are also looking for if you were able to maintain your calm when challenged. Also remember that the interview is one part of your application and you likely did not do much worse, if at all compared to other interviewers.

True that! Aside from that question though, I think the rest of that faculty was very good. The interviewer was very engaged in the conversation and was very enthusiastic and interested in the things I was saying. Oh well, all there is now is the long wait until Oct. 15. Hoping the high post-II acceptance rate that my student host mentioned to me is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get waitlisted. Plus, I gotta prepare for the other interviews I was very fortunate to receive!

You guys are inspirational. Thank you for sharing your stories, worries, and successes. It helps put this whole crazy process in perspective.

I agree with those saying that waiting is difficult. You feel like you put yourself out there as best you could and now hope that some adcom somewhere is interested. I'm sure the post-interview waiting (should I be so lucky!) will be just as challenging.

It's hard to not double guess yourself. At my job I get exactly 15 days of vacation, so that is the number of schools I applied to figuring that would be the maximum number of interviews I could possibly accept. Since the primary, one school has rejected me pre-secondary for being OOS/ not fitting their mission and I am still waiting on a secondary from another school. Part of me feels like I should add another school or two, but the other part is saying that since my committee letter only just got sent out Aug. 17 that I should wait the full 8-10 weeks that most schools say it takes to evaluate complete applications and see how things are looking at that point?

You guys are inspirational. Thank you for sharing your stories, worries, and successes. It helps put this whole crazy process in perspective.

I agree with those saying that waiting is difficult. You feel like you put yourself out there as best you could and now hope that some adcom somewhere is interested. I'm sure the post-interview waiting (should I be so lucky!) will be just as challenging.

It's hard to not double guess yourself. At my job I get exactly 15 days of vacation, so that is the number of schools I applied to figuring that would be the maximum number of interviews I could possibly accept. Since the primary, one school has rejected me pre-secondary for being OOS/ not fitting their mission and I am still waiting on a secondary from another school. Part of me feels like I should add another school or two, but the other part is saying that since my committee letter only just got sent out Aug. 17 that I should wait the full 8-10 weeks that most schools say it takes to evaluate complete applications and see how things are looking at that point?

Personally, I would apply to any school I was able/willing to attend. It's highly unlikely you will get II's to all the schools you apply to-- and even if you do, you can turn them down if you are doing that well! Increasing the number of schools you apply to gives you an increased chance of being accepted. If you feel like adding schools, do it ASAP!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Personally, I would apply to any school I was able/willing to attend. It's highly unlikely you will get II's to all the schools you apply to-- and even if you do, you can turn them down if you are doing that well! Increasing the number of schools you apply to gives you an increased chance of being accepted. If you feel like adding schools, do it ASAP!

This, i applied to 30 schools. I do not have the PTO to go to every II. Iam unlikely to get a II from every school, and if i do that means i can go to the first 15 IIs increasing the chance that I will matriculate. Apply to more schools ASAP and finish the secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. Just make sure you are willing to attend of accepted.

Yes, do NOT apply if you really wouldn't go there. I applied to all the schools I could and would attend.

Good luck, fellow old farts!

I'm jealous. 8 II's so far. I'm sweating interview requests over here...

Kind of a strange question....

If I don't get in this year, I am considering what I will have to do to improve...

If I were to switch job areas/career areas from my current one...would it be better to work in a chemical lab or maybe to get a cert. for MRI tech/sono tech for a hosp?

Or...would continuing working in freight be a good option, merely because it's different?

I guess I'm just wondering what adcoms think when they look at a resume.

Thanks for entertaining my question.

You guys are at a really amazing point in this journey - my first interview was exactly a year ago and it is so hard to believe where I was then and where I am now. Crush the interviews and best of luck!

I'm flying to Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon for my first interview at Jeff on Wednesday. Then, I go straight to Chicago for my Loyola interview on Thursday. Feeling very nervous and unprepared. These first two interviews will likely not be as smooth or polished as my later ones, but crossing my fingers they go alright. Time got away from me and now here I am, 2 days from go time, with no mock interviews under my belt.

Here's to hoping that being a slightly older applicant with interview experience helps.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm flying to Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon for my first interview at Jeff on Wednesday. Then, I go straight to Chicago for my Loyola interview on Thursday. Feeling very nervous and unprepared. These first two interviews will likely not be as smooth or polished as my later ones, but crossing my fingers they go alright. Time got away from me and now here I am, 2 days from go time, with no mock interviews under my belt.

Here's to hoping that being a slightly older applicant with interview experience helps.

If you want to mock interview real quick, I can do one with you on Skype or phone tonight or tomorrow after 6pm EST. I know not everyone's comfortable Skyping, but offer's there :)

Sitting at an Airbnb before my first interview tomorrow! Also feeling very unprepared. It's going to be interesting!

Sitting at an Airbnb before my first interview tomorrow! Also feeling very unprepared. It's going to be interesting!

Best of luck! I went into my first one underprepared too. One just has to do the best one can with the time that one has. That thought helped calm my nerves.

I got 2 more secondaries in the email today

worth filling out? or too late?

+1 Not too late to complete. It is getting late to submit new MD applications but not to submit secondaries.

Last edited:

Unless you are already in, I can't think of a single good reason not to proceed.

Just got my first rejection letter... This process is too slow. Anxiety levels are at an all time high

Unless you are already in, I can't think of a single good reason not to proceed.

Just got my first rejection letter... This process is too slow. Anxiety levels are at an all time high

^ This is true. But try to relax. That's all we can do at this point, or else we shall all go mad

Got rejected by the same school 3 times on different days through emails lol.

Unprofessional to reference written questions I have written down in my padfolio when asked if I have any? Should I memorize them tonight? Also, how many questions are appropriate?

Unprofessional to reference written questions I have written down in my padfolio when asked if I have any? Should I memorize them tonight? Also, how many questions are appropriate?

I don't know about referring to written questions, but I think 2-3 would be appropriate, unless you have some really specific ones that you would like answered for that particular school. If it is just an exercise to show that you are prepared then I think 2-3 is good. What does everybody else think?

Interview went well today! I stumbled on a few things, but both of my interviewers basically said, "I think you'll be a great doc, I hope to have you as a student next year". I give my performance a 7/10. Glad to have had the practice, and will do better next time!

Also, this morning while I was getting ready to head to campus for the interview, I received an II from one of my top picks! Yay!

Reactions: 11 users
I was "unrejected" from Mayo Arizona today. I didn't know this was possible. I am excited but prepared for a double rejection.
Yeah, there were a few for Mayo MN the last couple days too. I think they overestimated the size of the pool before considering the large overlap of applicanta for the two campuses.

And good luck btw, I got a Mayo LORr, too, last week from MN

I need someone to tell me it's ok. I flew to Philly with 6 pairs of my right contact and instead if 3 pairs right and 3 pairs left. I have to wear my glasses to 2 interviews now. I hate them. Will this be ok?

Glasses make you look smarter.

Source: Rick Perry

I need someone to tell me it's ok. I flew to Philly with 6 pairs of my right contact and instead if 3 pairs right and 3 pairs left. I have to wear my glasses to 2 interviews now. I hate them. Will this be ok?

LOL.

Why wouldn't it be ok? You aren't interviewing for a modeling job. As long as your appearance looks professional, you're fine.

New (at least to this board) non-traditional checking in! Currently waiting to hear back on secondaries that were submitted between 8/12 - 8/16 for Michigan's 6 MD schools. Feeling realistically optimistic...or generally hopeful, tempered by the knowledge that if not this year I will come back even stronger (at least in terms of GPA) next year.

Glad to see my fellow non-traditionals having success and earning those interviews/admits!

I think you'll be OK as long as you don't look this uncomfortable:
tumblr_m4dww5Dlvz1r8h9ijo1_1280.png

Getting a touch nervous, my first interview is Friday and unfortunately one of my top choices, would have rather had a few under my belt first. Also just found out that yesterday, a co-worker that shares my office had to leave with pink eye. How not to get into medical school - give all your interviewers conjunctivitis.

OHSU Friday, Touro-CA Monday, then UW on the 4th and PNWU on the 7th. I requested a couple days off for the first two, now have to request days for the next two. I haven't told work yet that I'm interviewing (but they know because my boss wrote a LOR - just not comfortable talking about it with them at this point). Yes, I randomly need a Tuesday off, don't ask questions!

Did 3 mock interviews, feel pretty good at this point, but might want to do one more.

Reactions: 3 users
Getting a touch nervous, my first interview is Friday and unfortunately one of my top choices, would have rather had a few under my belt first. Also just found out that yesterday, a co-worker that shares my office had to leave with pink eye. How not to get into medical school - give all your interviewers conjunctivitis.

OHSU Friday, Touro-CA Monday, then UW on the 4th and PNWU on the 7th. I requested a couple days off for the first two, now have to request days for the next two. I haven't told work yet that I'm interviewing (but they know because my boss wrote a LOR - just not comfortable talking about it with them at this point). Yes, I randomly need a Tuesday off, don't ask questions!

Did 3 mock interviews, feel pretty good at this point, but might want to do one more.

That's a whirlwind tour of interviews! You're going to kill it!

Just wrapped up at Jefferson. I loved it, and think I did a great job with the faculty interview. Easy, natural conversation and I stressed the points I wanted to get across in a natural way. I felt a little awkward with my student interviewer but I think that was more about her than me. Hopefully faculty has more weight. I would love to go here and think it was a perfect start to my interview season. Onto Loyola tomorrow before 2 back to back MMIs next week.

Side note: my glasses suck and are maroon and the wrong prescription but I made it work. What can you do!

Last edited:
Just wrapped up at Jefferson. I loved it, and think I did a great job with the faculty interview. Easy, natural conversation and I stressed the points I wanted to get across in a natural way. I felt a little awkward with my student interviewer but I think that was more about her than me. Hopefully faculty has more weight. I would love to go here and think it was a perfect start to my interview season. Onto Loyola tomorrow before 2 back to back MMIs next week.

Side note: my glasses suck and are maroon and the wrong prescription but I made it work. What can you do!

You probably looked smarter (so says a regular glasses wearer:)

What can you do!

Personally, I would've just used the contacts in both eyes. It obviously wouldn't have been perfect, but as long as it's not falling out it wouldn't be too bad. Or, just wear the one correct contact. Again, not ideal, but it'll get ya by.

Glad it went well for you, otherwise, though

Personally, I would've just used the contacts in both eyes. It obviously wouldn't have been perfect, but as long as it's not falling out it wouldn't be too bad. Or, just wear the one correct contact. Again, not ideal, but it'll get ya by.

Glad it went well for you, otherwise, though

I thought about that, but the prescriptions are so different between my right and left eyes it would have given me a splitting headache. Same with only wearing one. So glasses it was! I don't think it was detrimental, despite making my morning more stressful than I would have liked.

However, I have a guardian angel out there somewhere as my eye doctor faxed my prescription to a random optical shop by Jefferson, and I walked out with 10 pairs of free contact lenses post- interview. I'll be wearing contacts tomorrow at Loyola :clap:

Kind of a strange question....

If I don't get in this year, I am considering what I will have to do to improve...

If I were to switch job areas/career areas from my current one...would it be better to work in a chemical lab or maybe to get a cert. for MRI tech/sono tech for a hosp?

Or...would continuing working in freight be a good option, merely because it's different?

I guess I'm just wondering what adcoms think when they look at a resume.

Thanks for entertaining my question.
It's hard to answer that question without the context of your full app. What clinical experience do you already have? If it's deficient, then adding more (either paid or unpaid) is going to be helpful. If not, then it doesn't matter. Adcoms will not care one way or the other about how much freight experience you have.

In general, always focus on the weakest link. You don't improve your app by continuing to improve on your greatest strength. You improve it by bettering your biggest weakness.

Ok, I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. Yes, it will be ok. Probably most of your interviewers will be wearing glasses (readers for presbyopia if nothing else).

Good luck on your interviews, everyone. Don't go looking for small stuff to sweat.

Hey there guys. I'm a non-trad too. Can anyone look at my activity bulleted list for one secondary essay?

Would really appreciate it. Really need to submit soon!! :D

PM it over and I'll look over it while I'm waiting for a haircut tomorrow

Sooo just wrapped up at Loyola. My first interviewer came in very late, distressed, and not ready for the interview. AND he started off with asking me to explain why I transferred undergrad schools and explain my withdrawals from undergrad, and then questioned and expressed his doubts about whether I would like being in Chicago. Totally caught me off guard and It felt like we started off on a bad foot... I felt attacked and like I had to defend myself and my intentions. In the end, I think he warmed up to me and we had a good conversation about our shared interests/passions and ideas about medicine. He seemed genuine when he gave me his business card and said it was great to meet me/my family must be proud. Having trouble shaking our initial interaction though.

I loved the school SO MUCH. But really Not sure how to feel about this interview.