2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo just wrapped up at Loyola. My first interviewer came in very late, distressed, and not ready for the interview. AND he started off with asking me to explain why I transferred undergrad schools and explain my withdrawals from undergrad, and then questioned and expressed his doubts about whether I would like being in Chicago. Totally caught me off guard and It felt like we started off on a bad foot... I felt attacked and like I had to defend myself and my intentions. In the end, I think he warmed up to me and we had a good conversation about our shared interests/passions and ideas about medicine. He seemed genuine when he gave me his business card and said it was great to meet me/my family must be proud. Having trouble shaking our initial interaction though.

I loved the school SO MUCH. But really Not sure how to feel about this interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have heard from a lot of people how they had an aggressive interviewer and didn't have a good feeling about the interview. But then they were accepted. So I don't think you should make any assumptions. Sometimes those people may also be aggressive about advocating for you in the admissions committee discussions and getting you an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I guess I'm going to medical school? First acceptance! NSU

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo just wrapped up at Loyola. My first interviewer came in very late, distressed, and not ready for the interview. AND he started off with asking me to explain why I transferred undergrad schools and explain my withdrawals from undergrad, and then questioned and expressed his doubts about whether I would like being in Chicago. Totally caught me off guard and It felt like we started off on a bad foot... I felt attacked and like I had to defend myself and my intentions.

This "aggressive" tactic is used in order to test an applicant from an HR perspective on "cultural fit". He was probably a very poor interviewer, and more than likely not HR personnel. Some people just have bad days. I'm not saying it's ok, but according to MSAR, they had 480 interviews for last cycle. The guy may hate that he has to interview and may merely be tired of interviewing. I wouldn't worry too much. I've had my fair share of aggressive/disinterested interviewers in the job world. From what you said, you didn't throw off any obvious red flags. If they are interested, you'll know.

Hi, I'm just here to vent for a quick second.

I'm feeling a lot of stress about only having 1 II so far. I know that it's still earlyish in the cycle and that I have yet to hear back from about 17 schools, but as a re-applicant, I can't help but have some rejection anxiety. So much so that I've started seriously regretting not applying DO this cycle...

I've decided to put that nervous energy into preparing for interviews. I would love to hear what reading materials/youtube videos you guys are using to prepare for questions/situations that may arise during the interview!

P.S. I'm happy to see so many non-trads doing well this year!

You know, quite a few folks are still waiting on any IIs...but honestly, it is still early in the cycle and you should try not to stress yourself out too much. I applaud your channeling nervous energy into interview prep. This is just anecdotal but I've heard from some folks that reading the New Yorker (which sometimes has excellent healthcare reporting) gave them good conversational fodder for interviews. Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, this is random, but do other nontrads feel that by sharing much about themselves (i.e. on a WAMC) that they will be super identifiable due to unusual background/experiences? Like you can no longer blend in easily with the 10k others with similar stats and activities. Not that I'm embarrassed by what I've done with my life to date (in fact, I'm pretty grateful to have ended up in the position I'm in today), but part of the appeal of online opining is the anonymity. I'm just curious what others' thoughts are on this.

Reactions: 5 users
You know, quite a few folks are still waiting on any IIs...but honestly, it is still early in the cycle and you should try not to stress yourself out too much. I applaud your channeling nervous energy into interview prep. This is just anecdotal but I've heard from some folks that reading the New Yorker (which sometimes has excellent healthcare reporting) gave them good conversational fodder for interviews. Good luck!
I hope I didn't come off as humble bragging! And coincidentally I just signed up for a New Yorker subscription a few weeks ago! More motivation to read!

Reactions: 1 user
Also, this is random, but do other nontrads feel that by sharing much about themselves (i.e. on a WAMC) that they will be super identifiable due to unusual background/experiences? Like you can no longer blend in easily with the 10k others with similar stats and activities. Not that I'm embarrassed by what I've done with my life to date (in fact, I'm pretty grateful to have ended up in the position I'm in today), but part of the appeal of online opining is the anonymity. I'm just curious what others' thoughts are on this.

totally agree! i thought about having a signature with my stats for a while, but then freaked out over the possibility of unintentionally revealing too much info about myself.

Hi, I'm just here to vent for a quick second. So much so that I've started seriously regretting not applying DO this cycle...
It's really not too late to apply DO. October or even November is ok. (As stated by @Goro - I'm not an expert.) It's also a good strategy to apply late to DO as an MD backup primarily because DO schools have large, non-refundable deposits to hold an acceptance. MD deposits are refundable per policy. The ideal DO backup plan is to time it so that you have interviews in February or March and if you have an MD acceptance by then, you can cancel (save money/time) and if you don't, you'll have a clearer idea of your need for a DO acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
It's really not too late to apply DO. October or even November is ok. (As stated by @Goro - I'm not an expert.) It's also a good strategy to apply late to DO as an MD backup primarily because DO schools have large, non-refundable deposits to hold an acceptance. MD deposits are refundable per policy. The ideal DO backup plan is to time it so that you have interviews in February or March and if you have an MD acceptance by then, you can cancel (save money/time) and if you don't, you'll have a clearer idea of your need for a DO acceptance.
Great info--thanks for the reply! I definitely will have to research the DO application process! I haven't shadowed any DOs, is this a big problem? Any schools you suggest I look into?

Edit: I could totally do more shadowing if I needed to

I think you're probably fine posting a WAMC, but you give yourself away when you post about receiving an II in the school specific threads. AdCom's are aware of SDN and some read the threads for their schools. It would be very very easy to link a SDN profile to an applicant given date complete, date II sent, date interview scheduled, stats, etc. I doubt anyone actually does this, but it wouldn't be hard.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think it is a little different for everyone. Personally, I don't/wouldn't because I already know which schools are my target schools and have had conversations with their admissions staff on what a competitive applicant would look like. It would be nice to get some good feedback from the faculty staff that is on SDN but at the same time you are inviting anyone and everyone to start giving you feedback. The last thing I want is to deal with someone is just going around trolling people, giving people worthless/inaccurate information, or purposely trying to cause misery to others on forums. I deal with enough childish behavior between work, school, volunteering, coaching, and my own child I don't need or want it on an online forum.

I'm feeling a lot of stress about only having 1 II so far. I know that it's still earlyish in the cycle and that I have yet to hear back from about 17 schools, but as a re-applicant, I can't help but have some rejection anxiety. So much so that I've started seriously regretting not applying DO this cycle...

I've decided to put that nervous energy into preparing for interviews. I would love to hear what reading materials/youtube videos you guys are using to prepare for questions/situations that may arise during the interview!

It definitely would be more stressful as a reapplicant to get fewer bites than you expected.

May I ask if you reapplied after one year or two? Do you also know what the weaknesses in your application were last time and did you somewhat address them this time? Also, did you target schools that you could highlight a connection to?

I am finding out that applying to 'safe' schools which I have no links to has not worked for me, since I think they also know that you are applying to them as a 'safe' school. I did still apply to 'safe' schools this cycle just so that I don't have any regrets. So you may want to review your school list.

So far I have prepared for an MMI with just a couple of hours to do so. I watched videos on YouTube with examples and it was really helpful for me. I did not have time for mock interviews. I did record myself answering 'why medicine' just to see how I sounded. I could have gotten rid of a few 'umms' but otherwise found my performance satisfactory and that gave me confidence. I am really not the most articulate person in the world so I find interviews hard.

I also made a list of 10-20 top questions asked at med school interviews and wrote out answers to them. You can find a list of more questions too, but frankly I don't have the time for that level of preparation. I do recommend repeating your written answers out loud a few times to get to a point where you only have to occasionally reference the written material. Just like presentations, preparation is really the key to success for most people.

It definitely would be more stressful as a reapplicant to get fewer bites than you expected.

May I ask if you reapplied after one year or two? Do you also know what the weaknesses in your application were last time and did you somewhat address them this time? Also, did you target schools that you could highlight a connection to?

I am finding out that applying to 'safe' schools which I have no links to has not worked for me, since I think they also know that you are applying to them as a 'safe' school. I did still apply to 'safe' schools this cycle just so that I don't have any regrets. So you may want to review your school list.

So far I have prepared for an MMI with just a couple of hours to do so. I watched videos on YouTube with examples and it was really helpful for me. I did not have time for mock interviews. I did record myself answering 'why medicine' just to see how I sounded. I could have gotten rid of a few 'umms' but otherwise found my performance satisfactory and that gave me confidence. I am really not the most articulate person in the world so I find interviews hard.

I also made a list of 10-20 top questions asked at med school interviews and wrote out answers to them. You can find a list of more questions too, but frankly I don't have the time for that level of preparation. I do recommend repeating your written answers out loud a few times to get to a point where you only have to occasionally reference the written material. Just like presentations, preparation is really the key to success for most people.

I reapplied after 2 years, improving my MCAT from a 29 to a 511 (31-32), training and working as a CNA (I was lacking on patient exposure), and gaining more shadowing/volunteer experience. I applied broadly to schools within my LizzyM range that I felt would be a good fit for me as a non-trad with a humanities background....so hopefully some of them will pay off a little later in the cycle!

I was able to download "The PreMed Playbook" for free on my kindle, so I've been reading that so far. I've found it to be a bit repetitive, but it has a lot of good prompts for possible interview questions and advice for how to develop concise answers to questions such as "tell me about yourself." I'll definitely check out the MMI youtube videos--I think that just getting a feel for it will make me less nervous about the whole experience.

Has anyone read "Doing Right"? Do you think it's worth the $60.00?

Great info--thanks for the reply! I definitely will have to research the DO application process! I haven't shadowed any DOs, is this a big problem? Any schools you suggest I look into?

Edit: I could totally do more shadowing if I needed to

I think you should have time to shadow a DO and still apply, but some schools need a DO letter so if you're going to do it, it would have to be soon. Sorry, I don't know enough about DO schools to suggest any.

cross post, but I feel it deserves to be here

So after completing the interview today at OHSU, I have to say I LOVE the program. I have never been around a group of people that were more pleasant - from all the fellow interviewees, to the random dent/pa/med students we ran into throughout the building. Everyone was truly great, and the interview was way, way, less stressful than I imagined. I can't sing high enough praise for the school, their new curriculum (I could talk about this for days), the support they show their students, and just the overall feeling/vibe. The amount of flexibility, and making your education about you, was staggering.

If your interviewing there, just know that everyone seemed to be a relaxed, normal person, just trying to figure out who you are. The MMI interviewers were great, the one on one was great, the med students having lunch with us was great. I'm just thrilled with the experience - which is only going to help me moving forward with my other interviews. I was so nervous for my first interview ever, and it was a piece of cake - almost....fun.

As far as what I would recommend if you're looking to prep? Don't. Be yourself. Give honest answer and have meaningful dialogs in those 8 minutes. The questions didn't require any prep other than brining your brain and working through them. Honestly - don't stress, enjoy it!

Reactions: 3 users
I was so nervous for my first interview ever, and it was a piece of cake - almost....fun.

As far as what I would recommend if you're looking to prep? Don't. Be yourself. Give honest answer and have meaningful dialogs in those 8 minutes. The questions didn't require any prep other than brining your brain and working through them. Honestly - don't stress, enjoy it!

Just FWIW, I would be wary about having too much fun on interview day. At my interview I let my guard down a few times because everyone was so casual and friendly, and I made some mistakes as a result. Keep in mind that an interviewer could say or do anything - they could smile, nod, agree and play along, but secretly think you're an idiot. Being relaxed is good, but stay on your toes and remember that you're being evaluated by everyone from the time you enter the building until the time you leave.

Don't worry, you are definitely not alone in this. As far as DO goes, I applied to both, and DO schools have been significantly slower at responding to primaries. It doesn't help that I mistakenly copy/pasted the wrong draft of my ******* PS.... /facepalm

I've been checking my email a million times a day and walking to and from my mailbox... Probably would be better off applying that nervousness to studying or something like you are. Hang in there friend.

just wrote a big update letter, idk if it is too much though

Just FWIW, I would be wary about having too much fun on interview day. At my interview I let my guard down a few times because everyone was so casual and friendly, and I made some mistakes as a result. Keep in mind that an interviewer could say or do anything - they could smile, nod, agree and play along, but secretly think you're an idiot. Being relaxed is good, but stay on your toes and remember that you're being evaluated by everyone from the time you enter the building until the time you leave.

Couldn't agree more - I think it's important to always be cognizant of the situation, and keep in mind it is an interview at all times. I mostly enjoyed the challenge of it; I definitely was pushed to defend my answers, and some interviewers took my answers in a entire direction I wouldn't have really thought about at first blush. I also think it's important that being "relaxed and yourself", doesn't mean you can be unprofessional. I viewed it this way; I'm interviewing to become a physician, how would I act as a physician and in a professional setting. I think for many of us non-trads, we have a distinct advantage as most of us have worked in this kind of setting.

I'm brand new to this forum, but its great to see a thread for nontraditional students. I joined the Army right out of high school. I was lucky to get a degree as a Medical Lab Tech as part of my MOS, but because the Army shoves the 2 year training into a year, my GPA wasn't as good as it could be. Overall 3.5 GPA with a 497 MCATs, I feel like my stats are horrible compared to a lot of people I see, but I did get my first interview a few days ago at PNWU. I applied MD and DO, so it will be interesting to see what I'll wind up with. *Fingers Crossed*. Just curious but what is the "average" number of schools people apply for?

Last edited:
Curious how you all approached the "What have you been doing since graduating?" questions on secondaries? My whole application is more or less describing what I have been doing since graduating since that was a long time ago! Maybe one day schools will reword this to accommodate for the non-trad. ;)

Curious how you all approached the "What have you been doing since graduating?" questions on secondaries? My whole application is more or less describing what I have been doing since graduating since that was a long time ago! Maybe one day schools will reword this to accommodate for the non-trad. ;)

It can be difficult to fit all of those years worth of experiences in less than 250 words/characters :) I found myself listing lots of things without going too in-depth, since the rest of my application talked about the same expereinces in detail

Since I'm working full-time in a clinic, I pretty much reflected how that is preparing me for medical school in terms of giving me insights into the patients I hope to serve one day. I mean, I feel like my EC list pretty much sums up what I've been doing since graduation.. but I didn't feel comfortable leaving it blank.

Since I'm working full-time in a clinic, I pretty much reflected how that is preparing me for medical school in terms of giving me insights into the patients I hope to serve one day. I mean, I feel like my EC list pretty much sums up what I've been doing since graduation.. but I didn't feel comfortable leaving it blank.
definitely wouldn't leave it blank. i have such a hard time with this question though. i want to list everything, but then it feels so dense and BLAH that i think it'll be a knock against my application.

what i had been doing is detailing the different "legs" of what i've been doing post-graduation (ie service, learning, research etc etc) but leaving where/when out. its definitely a lot easier/more enjoyable to read.

however, i found out recently some schools blind their reviewers and don't give them the primary. in which case, my answer is a little light on the deets.

ah #nontrad problems ;)

Since I have been employed for most of my time out of school, I listed my employment with dates, without elaborating on them, unless the school specified not to answer with a list. All my extracurricular activities of interest to them are in my AMCAS. I think I just referred to my AMCAS for those. This may also be a place to address what you have done between your AMCAS submittal and secondary submittal and briefly mention your plans for the remaining application cycle.
I think they just want to know that you have not been sitting around doing nothing since graduating.

I have an essay just for this that i have different parts to that I paste in and out depending on the space and the mission of the medical school. Mostly relating it back to how my previous work would make me a better Doctor.
I think it is working ok Received 2.5 II's from MD schools so far.

Last edited:
I have an essay just for this that i have different parts to that I paste in and out depending on the space and the mission of the medical school. Mostly relating it back to how my previous work would make me a better Doctor.
I think it is working ok Received 2.5 II's from MD schools so far.
2.5?

I'm brand new to this forum, but its great to see a thread for nontraditional students. I joined the Army right out of high school. I was lucky to get a degree as a Medical Lab Tech as part of my MOS, but because the Army shoves the 2 year training into a year, my GPA wasn't as good as it could be. Overall 3.5 GPA with a 497 MCATs, I feel like my stats are horrible compared to a lot of people I see, but I did get my first interview a few days ago at PNWU. I applied MD and DO, so it will be interesting to see what I'll wind up with. *Fingers Crossed*. Just curious but what is the "average" number of schools people apply for?
Man, that is awesome you got an interview there! I hope you applied to your state schools as well. Also any private school where you have mission overlap or connection. Your Veteran status gives you a leg up. I would say the median is probably close to 12-18 with 6 being on the low side and 30 being on the high side.

I would say the median is probably close to 12-18 with 6 being on the low side and 30 being on the high side.

Hmm I only have 6 complete secondary applications. Now I feel like I should apply to some more before deadlines approach. This is such an expensive process though :(

You sound like me, I periodically apply to schools as I get more nervous and as I get paid.
I have been adding schools every time i freak out that I am not doing as well as I should during this cycle, or that i aimed too low or too high in my list. Still have 4 secondaries left. YOLO.

I have been adding schools every time i freak out that I am not doing as well as I should during this cycle, or that i aimed too low or too high in my list. Still have 4 secondaries left. YOLO.

The thought of applying to more schools keeps lingering in my head as well. I am confident in the schools I have chosen (both for personal desire to attend, and chances for admission), but as the time ticks on it gets harder to not catastrophize.

I was sooooo glad to stop filling out apps... Completed 24 (4 DO and 20 MD // Re-applicant to 2 DO and 9 MD // II's to 2 DO and 1 MD [new schools], 1 rejection pre-interview). Feel a lot better than last year (zero II's), but also have basically run out of money.

Waiting for news is definitely a bummer, but I'll happily take it this year (with a side of any of your cheapest liquors!).

I
The thought of applying to more schools keeps lingering in my head as well. I am confident in the schools I have chosen (both for personal desire to attend, and chances for admission), but as the time ticks on it gets harder to not catastrophize.
think I will chill out after I just received my third II. But maybe just finish up for the sake of finishing up.

I've only submitted 9 secondaries out of the 13 I got. I don't have any excuses other than I've been really overwhelmed with finances and life in general. Going to do a couple more now even though it's not ideal to turn them in this late. Only one II so far. I think it mostly went okay, but there were also a couple of questions I wasn't that prepared to answer and kind of rambled on. :/ I hope I don't have to apply DO lateish because that's more financial strain, but I think I'm going to if I don't get anymore interviews by, idk, mid-October?

I've only submitted 9 secondaries out of the 13 I got. I don't have any excuses other than I've been really overwhelmed with finances and life in general. Going to do a couple more now even though it's not ideal to turn them in this late. Only one II so far. I think it mostly went okay, but there were also a couple of questions I wasn't that prepared to answer and kind of rambled on. :/ I hope I don't have to apply DO lateish because that's more financial strain, but I think I'm going to if I don't get anymore interviews by, idk, mid-October?
Finish up those secondaries!!! Also get your primary DO application verified and then just add additional schools. I know how exhausting it can be having a full tine job, family, and children while going through this, but as non trads we won't get any slack in submission.

Last edited:
Finish up those secondaries!!! Also get your primary DO application verified and then just add additional schools. I know how exhausting it can be having a full tine job, family, and children while going through this, but as non trads we won't get any slack in submission.
I am doing 2 more of the secondaries. Can't afford the fee to submit AACOMAS right now.

If it makes you feel better, I'm in a similar position. Have to submit as finances/time allow. I think more people submit secondaries this time of year than you might expect by looking at SDN.

If it makes you feel better, I'm in a similar position. Have to submit as finances/time allow. I think more people submit secondaries this time of year than you might expect by looking at SDN.
I think you're right, honestly. I keep meeting people in real life who are like, "Yeah, I don't even look at anything online." and applied late by SDN standards.

I think you're right, honestly. I keep meeting people in real life who are like, "Yeah, I don't even look at anything online." and applied late by SDN standards.
No need expending nervous energy and resources on things outside our control at this point. I would be pre-writing secondaries and researching DO schools that you may find acceptable if MD falls through. Once you have enough money to spare submit the secondary as soon as possible.

If time allows, there's a lot free (or cheaper) to do on aacomas like essays, transcripts, activities. If you think you'll pull that trigger (when money comes in), I'd start all the rest when you're free...

Hey fellow non-trads! Just checking in as I just found this thread (oddly enough). On my way to my third interview and feeling very grateful that this cycle is off to a better start than the last. Wishing all kinds of luck to every one of you! #secondcareerforthewin

Reactions: 6 users