2018-2019 Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my acceptance and scholarship. Hopefully one of you gets some money soon! Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like there is going to be a really big amount of nontrads in this class lol

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the email! Is Rosalind Franklin pass/fail?

Reactions: 5 users
"Please read the Intent to Enroll with Technical Standards and submit it with your tuition deposit within 2 weeks from the date of this correspondence to hold your spot in our fall 2019 entering class."
Does anyone know how much the tuition deposit is? Still waiting to hear back from one more school...

Members don't see this ad :)
"Please read the Intent to Enroll with Technical Standards and submit it with your tuition deposit within 2 weeks from the date of this correspondence to hold your spot in our fall 2019 entering class."
Does anyone know how much the tuition deposit is? Still waiting to hear back from one more school...

$100 and it is non-binding, I believe it is refundable as well

JUST GOT THE EMAIL! First MD acceptance congrats everyone, can’t wait to join y’all !

Edit: LM~69, OOS, interviewed 2/14/19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not aware of any that watch this thread. I'm an M2 and could maybe help - what's the question?

I actually have a couple of questions regarding specific experiences as a CMS student and the residency interviewing trail. But I do have a number of general of questions as well. Would you mind if I PM'ed you some of my questions?

I actually have a couple of questions regarding specific experiences as a CMS student and the residency interviewing trail. But I do have a number of general of questions as well. Would you mind if I PM'ed you some of my questions?
I don't mind a PM :), especially if you have personal/specific questions. For general questions I think it's usually best to answer in thread, so everybody can benefit though. And let me know what you'd like to know about the residency interviews - I can let you know what I've heard from the M4s.

Reactions: 1 user
Heard rumors from a current student that they are getting rid of the EMS course for M1's. Does anyone know if this is true/if it will be affecting us (class of 2023)?

Heard rumors from a current student that they are getting rid of the EMS course for M1's. Does anyone know if this is true/if it will be affecting us (class of 2023)?
I went to the Admitted Student Day last month, and the faculty said they were actually thinking about expanding it a little and providing more opportunities within it because students liked it so much. There will definitely be changes since last year was the first year, but it didn't sound like they were considering eliminating it.

Again no news today for me, goin on 6.5 months now

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
For the Class of 2023 the EMS course will still be in place, although altered from what it was this year (this was the 1st year for it, so there were...hiccups...with the execution). As to whether it will stay in the curriculum long term, can't say, though removing it has been discussed.
But it will be there next year.

I went to the Admitted Student Day last month, and the faculty said they were actually thinking about expanding it a little and providing more opportunities within it because students liked it so much. There will definitely be changes since last year was the first year, but it didn't sound like they were considering eliminating it.
:roflcopter::rofl::lol:
Whoever told you that... imma give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they were vastly uninformed.
I don't know a single M1 (and I know all of them) who didn't complain loudly, vehemently, and often about having to do it.

Couple of general questions I have, if CMS medical students or admitted students who attended second look can chime in:

1) What is the general consensus and feedback on the new curriculum? What have been the biggest praises and complaints about it? Do students feel that the curriculum prepares them well for step 1?

2) Regarding research - it seems like clinical research opportunities have to be pursued in the city. Can a medical student chime in with their experiences finding research opportunities and generating publications? Is there any sort of competition with the other schools in the Chicago area?

3) How was second look? Can anyone give feedback on their thoughts on the day and what was discussed?

4) What are the school's policies on "plan to enroll" and "commit to enroll"? I couldn't find anything on their website.

Hopefully some of the M1s will chime in too...

1) What is the general consensus and feedback on the new curriculum? What have been the biggest praises and complaints about it? Do students feel that the curriculum prepares them well for step 1?
There were ups and downs this year, as expected. But overall, as a M2 seeing it from the other side, I think the new curriculum is a good thing. There's better integration of material for each system, more board-style practice throughout, and more dedicated time at the end of M2 year with the new curriculum.
The complaints that I heard about the new curriculum most often were valid points - mostly about scheduling, grade weights and release times, and EMT vs Anatomy (there was a time/schedule conflict, which meant that the M1s missed out on most Anatomy dissections) - but the vast majority of these have been fixed already, or will be for next year (including anatomy - you'll get to do all the dissections). And the admin is open to student feedback to get the new curriculum tweaked into its final iteration, so things that become an issue next year can still be adjusted.
The current M1s won't be able to speak to preparedness for Step 1 for another year. But seeing what they've done, I think they (and future classes) will be just fine.

2) Regarding research - it seems like clinical research opportunities have to be pursued in the city. Can a medical student chime in with their experiences finding research opportunities and generating publications? Is there any sort of competition with the other schools in the Chicago area?
There are a few clinical options at eh VA next door, but yes, most of the clinical research opportunities are down in the city. Folks tend to do this during the post-M1 summer, and possibly continue into M2 year. I haven't delved into research here myself, but I haven't heard of anybody wanting research and not getting it. The school will help you find it if you're not sure where to start.

3) How was second look? Can anyone give feedback on their thoughts on the day and what was discussed?
I liked mine, but that was 2 years ago, so...

4) What are the school's policies on "plan to enroll" and "commit to enroll"? I couldn't find anything on their website.

Sorry, can't help with this one - this is a new thing since I enrolled. When in doubt, best to call the admissions office.

• Love
Hopefully some of the M1s will chime in too...

There were ups and downs this year, as expected. But overall, as a M2 seeing it from the other side, I think the new curriculum is a good thing. There's better integration of material for each system, more board-style practice throughout, and more dedicated time at the end of M2 year with the new curriculum.
The complaints that I heard about the new curriculum most often were valid points - mostly about scheduling, grade weights and release times, and EMT vs Anatomy (there was a time/schedule conflict, which meant that the M1s missed out on most Anatomy dissections) - but the vast majority of these have been fixed already, or will be for next year (including anatomy - you'll get to do all the dissections). And the admin is open to student feedback to get the new curriculum tweaked into its final iteration, so things that become an issue next year can still be adjusted.
The current M1s won't be able to speak to preparedness for Step 1 for another year. But seeing what they've done, I think they (and future classes) will be just fine.

There are a few clinical options at eh VA next door, but yes, most of the clinical research opportunities are down in the city. Folks tend to do this during the post-M1 summer, and possibly continue into M2 year. I haven't delved into research here myself, but I haven't heard of anybody wanting research and not getting it. The school will help you find it if you're not sure where to start.

I liked mine, but that was 2 years ago, so...

Sorry, can't help with this one - this is a new thing since I enrolled. When in doubt, best to call the admissions office.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! Two more questions if you or anyone do not mind answering:

5) What is the exam schedule like? Are there exams on Mondays or do they tend to be on Friday?

6) What should I expect my financial aid package to look like (how much of it is loans/grants/etc)?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! Two more questions if you or anyone do not mind answering:

5) What is the exam schedule like? Are there exams on Mondays or do they tend to be on Friday?

6) What should I expect my financial aid package to look like (how much of it is loans/grants/etc)?
5) Fridays (exclusively with the new curriculum). We had combined exams every 3 weeks but the systems schedule has them at varying intervals, shortest block was 2 wks and longest was 5 or 6, iirc.

6) That entirely depends on your individual circumstances. 100% loans are the most common. There is a general scholarship application that goes out a month or two after school starts and a fair number of people get something, but not much - usually in the $1000-1500 range. A few people get more, but that's much less common. Work-Study positions are not unusual for pocket money (mainly tutor/TA/Lab assist positions).

5) Fridays (exclusively with the new curriculum). We had combined exams every 3 weeks but the systems schedule has them at varying intervals, shortest block was 2 wks and longest was 5 or 6, iirc.

6) That entirely depends on your individual circumstances. 100% loans are the most common. There is a general scholarship application that goes out a month or two after school starts and a fair number of people get something, but not much - usually in the $1000-1500 range. A few people get more, but that's much less common. Work-Study positions are not unusual for pocket money (mainly tutor/TA/Lab assist positions).

Great stuff to know. Thanks for the info!

For the Class of 2023 the EMS course will still be in place, although altered from what it was this year (this was the 1st year for it, so there were...hiccups...with the execution). As to whether it will stay in the curriculum long term, can't say, though removing it has been discussed.
But it will be there next year.

:roflcopter::rofl::lol:
Whoever told you that... imma give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they were vastly uninformed.
I don't know a single M1 (and I know all of them) who didn't complain loudly, vehemently, and often about having to do it.
Yikes - thank you for correcting me. I was definitely under the impression that it was overall liked but just needed a few tweaks

Yikes - thank you for correcting me. I was definitely under the impression that it was overall liked but just needed a few tweaks
I'm really curious who told you that.
There's definitely a certain amount of sugar coating that happens on those days (they're trying to sell you on the school after all), but they're usually not give to gross over exaggeration like that.
The EMT course, in theory, is not a bad idea and a lot of people thought it looked good on paper. The issues with the execution were in how the class was managed (arranging clinical experiences, not letting EMTs opt out, etc) and what it cost to the M1s ($ for supplies, missing anatomy labs, etc.) So even the folks who came in excited for it were pretty quickly soured on the actuality.
Next year should be better, and how it plays out in round 2 will, I'm sure, have a lot of influence on whether it will be kept in the curriculum or not. As I said, the conflict with anatomy has been resolved and other issues are being addressed, so we'll see how the class of 2023 feels about it. The class of 2022 though has nothing good to say, and they've not been quiet about it, so, without accusing somebody of outright lying, I'm kinda mystified at how anyone could interpret that as them liking the course.

Just withdrew my acceptance, best of luck everybody!

Because I'm pathetic M1 who is avoiding studying for our first renal quiz, I decided to check on this board, and I created an account to clarify a few things.

There were actually many aspects of the emt course that many of us liked (mostly the hands-on things like tying tourniquets or our actual ER experiences). From what I've heard, they're aiming to keep those experiences that we thought were very helpful while tossing out many of the things that we thought were wastes of time. From what I understand, I think it's going to be more of a general skills class for the class of 2023. But this school's weakest area is probably communication so I'm never 100% sure what's going on.

Also, I cannot talk up enough how much better I think the curriculum is with the systems blocks. We have our weekly quizzes which help keep us on track and assess what we know, and our tests are nbme questions which are challenging but they definitely get you thinking in more of a clinical mindset. Really, from the beginning, even in our scientific foundations block, they integrated a lot of clinical medicine in with the basic sciences. You get to learn how things work, what happens when they don't work, and how to treat illnesses in the same block, and it just makes a lot of sense to me to teach that way. Not going to lie, I thought the arrangement of blocks was a little odd (especially having immunology which was hellishly difficult and not nbme in the fall), but once you are actually in the blocks and see the way everything builds on top of each other, it starts to make sense. I really cannot imagine not being in a systems-based curriculum now.

Also, I don't know if this adds more stress or less, but I interviewed in February of last year and received my acceptance in early June (I think), and I feel like half of the people I'm friends with here came off the waitlist, a lot in July and a few even in August! I think the July acceptances for my class even included a Canadian, if that matters to anyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Because I'm pathetic M1 who is avoiding studying for our first renal quiz, I decided to check on this board, and I created an account to clarify a few things.

There were actually many aspects of the emt course that many of us liked (mostly the hands-on things like tying tourniquets or our actual ER experiences). From what I've heard, they're aiming to keep those experiences that we thought were very helpful while tossing out many of the things that we thought were wastes of time. From what I understand, I think it's going to be more of a general skills class for the class of 2023. But this school's weakest area is probably communication so I'm never 100% sure what's going on.

Also, I cannot talk up enough how much better I think the curriculum is with the systems blocks. We have our weekly quizzes which help keep us on track and assess what we know, and our tests are nbme questions which are challenging but they definitely get you thinking in more of a clinical mindset. Really, from the beginning, even in our scientific foundations block, they integrated a lot of clinical medicine in with the basic sciences. You get to learn how things work, what happens when they don't work, and how to treat illnesses in the same block, and it just makes a lot of sense to me to teach that way. Not going to lie, I thought the arrangement of blocks was a little odd (especially having immunology which was hellishly difficult and not nbme in the fall), but once you are actually in the blocks and see the way everything builds on top of each other, it starts to make sense. I really cannot imagine not being in a systems-based curriculum now.

Also, I don't know if this adds more stress or less, but I interviewed in February of last year and received my acceptance in early June (I think), and I feel like half of the people I'm friends with here came off the waitlist, a lot in July and a few even in August! I think the July acceptances for my class even included a Canadian, if that matters to anyone.
really wish I didn't have to find roommates and organize an entirely new living situation a month out from school though

really wish I didn't have to find roommates and organize an entirely new living situation a month out from school though
The ease of finding housing is actually one of the biggest strengths of CMS honestly. Unless you're hellbent on living in Navy housing, it's incredibly easy to find housing here (I honestly can't speak on Navy housing though--it could also be easy for all I know). There is a housing application system that includes both student housing and the Woodlands, and when I applied for housing, only one layout of Woodlands apartments was unavailable due to being filled (hard to explain without actually having access to that form), so even if you get in the week of orientation, there will be housing available! I live in student housing, and people moved into student housing even during the middle of the year (a few people who decided that the commute wasn't worth living in the city). You can also get a random roommate if you're worried about finding one! I feel like the vast majority of my class who are in Woodlands or student housing did the random roommate thing (including me).

Alright sunny Friday, make this the second best Friday of my life!

This is the week... right? Anybody hear anything?

I recently withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to those who are still in the game!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got put on the "Alternate List" which I assume is the same as the waitlist, any other movement today? I interviewed in early January just fyi

Also alternate list just now. Interviewed in Sept.