2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does this exactly fit into the Step 1 studying method?
Do they TEST you on their powerpoints or boards materials? I think the difficulty in not using Zanki is bc we are unsure of the expectations tested in the curriculum
I dunno, I truthfully haven't really started studying for Step. The answer from faculty is that studying for your classes IS studying for Step and that their curriculum matches very well what we need to know for Step.
They test us on the assigned reading, which includes their powerpoints, monographs, etc. as well as lots and lots of book reading. A good bit of the reading is super dense and/or poorly written, and that's one of the areas where 3rd party resources come in handy. Our neurology book this year was particularly awful, so many of us resorted to using resources such as Ninja Nerd neurology videos on YouTube.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Could a current student speak to how they prepped for pbl meetings and in-general for tests to learn the material outside of pbl? Do they send out PowerPoints even though they don’t do lectures or is it just book material and 3rd party sources? Thank you!

They do send Powerpoints and other supplemental materials on some topics, but it is by and large on you to learn the material via the assigned reading and/or 3rd party sources. For example, say the syllabus for a module has 50 topics in it...there may be a Powerpoint or monograph on maybe 5 or 6 of those topics available on Canvas. In the beginning, trying to figure out which resources work best for you is overwhelming, and you want someone to just tell you which resources to use. The answer you'll hear a lot of is that you have to figure out what works for you, which is really irritating to hear at the time but ultimately true. If I had to recommend one resource to invest in early on, Boards and Beyond has helped me more than anything, but it's certainly not all-inclusive.

For those who are trying to decide between multiple offers, I recommend really asking yourself whether this self-learning style sounds like it will work for you. It doesn't for everybody. I personally think I would have fared much better in a traditional lecture-based curriculum, while others in our class love the PBL curriculum. I'm getting through it, and you most certainly will too regardless, but it's definitely a major factor to consider.

Going off naway, I personally really like the PBL curriculum and prefer it over lecture-based. I've never been a fan of lecture-based classes though. I also love Boards and Beyond, and also use sketchy, Pathoma, and certain video series on youtube (osmosis, Ninja Nerd, Armando Hasudungan, etc) as supplemental material. I honestly use these first, then read the textbooks as it makes reading through the textbooks easier for me since I already have some background information from the supplementals. Every PBL group that I have been in has created a google doc for all of the cases/what we need to learn from them and we split up the information, then present our topics in class.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone is looking for a place to live in Macon and doesn’t want to pay the outrageous downtown loft prices, shoot me a message. My landlord has a bunch of places that will be available this summer/fall, and she’s been awesome to work with the entire time I’ve lived here. My place will likely be available too, and I live about 10 feet from campus near Mercer Village so takes me roughly 7 minutes to walk to the med school building from my front door. Please feel free to share this with people in the accepted students FB group as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is looking for a place to live in Macon and doesn’t want to pay the outrageous downtown loft prices, shoot me a message. My landlord has a bunch of places that will be available this summer/fall, and she’s been awesome to work with the entire time I’ve lived here. My place will likely be available too, and I live about 10 feet from campus near Mercer Village so takes me roughly 7 minutes to walk to the med school building from my front door. Please feel free to share this with people in the accepted students FB group as well.
Going off this, anyone who is looking for an affordable/safe place in north Macon (I live off of Riverside Drive, 13-15 min drive to campus) can shoot me a message as well! :)

Every PBL group that I have been in has created a google doc for all of the cases/what we need to learn from them and we split up the information, then present our topics in class.
We should totally do this in Savannah! We typically just go into PBLs with no real game plan other than reading that day's cases and then letting things flow (or not flow) from there lol.

Anyone know if there is an official c/o 2023 group up and running, yet? My roommate is moving in with her fiance, so I need to find a new one lol.

Can't wait to meet everyone who is coming to Accepted Students Day tomorrow! :)

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from Mercer. I think its a phenomenal institution, but I don't think I'll do well in a curriculum that is 90-95% PBL. I'll need more structure. At my interview day, an M2 told us, almost verbatim, that Mercer's curriculum is essentially utilizing the resources in the library to learn the material specified on the syllabi and then reinforcing that material during the PBL sessions. I feel better about the programs that have a balance of teaching/learning approaches. However, I do see how this approach works best for self learners that are more efficient in their own right than lecturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what, if any, requirements Mercer has involving the “select your medical school tool”?? I haven’t seen anything on their website or the acceptance packet.

Withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck, everyone!

Does anyone know if the alternate list is the same thing as waitlist at Mercer?

Any other accepted students experiencing the phenomenon of experiencing the hurry up and wait feeling? Feels like forever since I got the acceptance and we’ve still got till August till this show gets on the road!

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Around this time last year people were being pulled off the waiting list, I don’t know if the new aamc choose your medical school tool will change that timeline but fingers crossed we’ll start hearing back soon! Best of luck to everyone else on the waiting list!

Reactions: 4 users
guys... why is our thread silent? have none of you gotten an acceptance off the waitlist yet? what's going on? im FREAKING OUT! :cryi:

• Sad
230 people on a waitlist is WAY too much when they only ever take 120.... 50 of those are probably already accepted and will stay... then what does that leave us with? about 70 people... THERE ARE 230 PEOPLE! IM GONNA SCREAM! with no rank... what is this a lottery? ****ing hell man

• Sad
Btw i emailed Misty and this is what she said (if it offers any sort of condolence, probably not): I can’t tell you much about placement on the waitlist, but there has been little movement on it. However, I can tell you we continue to fill the class up until the first day of class in August. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific.

Edit: worth noting that this was emailed on april 26 so who knows if that changed or not

Btw i emailed Misty and this is what she said (if it offers any sort of condolence, probably not): I can’t tell you much about placement on the waitlist, but there has been little movement on it. However, I can tell you we continue to fill the class up until the first day of class in August. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific.

Edit: worth noting that this was emailed on april 26 so who knows if that changed or not
it does suck. but all we can do is wait and keep hoping. in the meantime are you preparing to reapply to Mercer this upcoming cycle??

it does suck. but all we can do is wait and keep hoping. in the meantime are you preparing to reapply to Mercer this upcoming cycle??

I think I'm gonna wait it out a little longer and see what happens before I start thinking about the next cycle

Good luck to you all on waitlist movement! I can say that I attended the accepted students day a few weeks ago and that it seemed like a large number of people have accepted their spots in the class. I know that there were at least 50 people in the early admission class as confirmed by the updated MSAR that came out a few weeks ago. Not sure if this is helpful, but I wish you all the best!

Has anyone heard anything about movement at Mercer? Like maybe a friend or somebody?

Withdrew my acceptance to Mercer this morning. I was assigned to Savannah all 4 years, for those keeping count. Goodluck everyone! Hope my spot goes to someone here!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks...Your post and those of other people’s withdrawals have renewed my hope...just a little bit

Nothing here, I’m so stressed because on the Mercer secondary page it states that if you haven’t been removed from the waitlist by May 15th they strongly suggest you to reapply

• Sad
Does anyone know how the waitlist process works? Have they been pulling people off it this whole time or are they waiting to pull people off in bulk?

Nothing here, I’m so stressed because on the Mercer secondary page it states that if you haven’t been removed from the waitlist by May 15th they strongly suggest you to reapply
Does anyone know how the waitlist process works? Have they been pulling people off it this whole time or are they waiting to pull people off in bulk?

Yeah that’s why I was hoping we would hear something today since the last time they gave a date by which we should be waitlisted they sent a mass email waitlisting us.

I have no idea how the process works :/ last year on the 30th movement had started, this year not a peep.

• Sad
Sigh... this has been a loonnnggg app cycle.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
When I called last week, the person who answered the phone said that they've already started pulling people off the waitlist as they have people drop. I guess those people just don't post on sdn/aren't active here :/ Starting to lose hope lmao.

• Sad
UGHHHHH so are any of you guys reapplying to Mercer now?? If so, have you guys done any big updates to your app? honestly im thinking of just YOLOing and applying ED with largely same app since now I know I only wanna go to Mercer and maybe will boost chances. idk wat else to do

It’s just so hard to believe that no one on SDN has been pulled/ hasn’t posted about being pulled from the WL. :arghh:

• Sad
The number 230 waitlisted is way more than I expect for 20-30 opening that might have at this time of the year.

I don't *encourage* reapplying with the exact same application, but that's basically what I did and got in the second time fwiw. Sorry, guys. I've been there and know how much it sucks, but now I'm 18 days from finishing up my first year, so don't give up.

Looking forward to meeting anyone attending the Savannah campus meet and greet tomorrow :)

Hey guys,

I am currently waitlisted as well after being deferred from ED to Regular Decision so the waiting game has been super miserable! Plus, last years WL movement was more transparent on sdn beginning in April so it's really hard not to worry since we're reaching the end of May. I heard that this could definitely be due to each school's CTE deadline however. Do we know when Mercer's is?

Also, based on what I am assuming are last year's numbers on Mercer's website ( https://medicine.mercer.edu/www/mu-...information/committee/upload/Publication1.pdf) it seems that they only interviewed 281 applicants and the class size is 122. However, this year they told us that 230 were WL. If they were to remain consistent from last year on how many people they interview/accept then these numbers don't add up. Do we have any insight on how many people they interviewed this year?

• Sad
Hey guys,

I am currently waitlisted as well after being deferred from ED to Regular Decision so the waiting game has been super miserable! Plus, last years WL movement was more transparent on sdn beginning in April so it's really hard not to worry since we're reaching the end of May. I heard that this could definitely be due to each school's CTE deadline however. Do we know when Mercer's is?

Also, based on what I am assuming are last year's numbers on Mercer's website ( https://medicine.mercer.edu/www/mu-...information/committee/upload/Publication1.pdf) it seems that they only interviewed 281 applicants and the class size is 122. However, this year they told us that 230 were WL. If they were to remain consistent from last year on how many people they interview/accept then these numbers don't add up. Do we have any insight on how many people they interviewed this year?
OMG thats awful!! Im so sorry for you, not hearing anything for this long and being ED. Now im scared cuz im planning to reapply ED this upcoming cycle but your situation now makes it hard to make the call.. and this cycle i'd guess they interviewed at least 300+ if their class is basically full now and 200 of us are waitlisted. this. is. hell. ughhhhhh

Last edited:
I’m right here with you. ED deferred to RD, now on this everlasting WL.

• Sad
That’s so unfair, why interview more people this cycle if the class size hasn’t changed at all? I asked misty during my interview about how many people Mercer was interviewing and she said 300 people in total, 100 at the Macon campus and 200 at the Savannah campus. If that’s the case and they accepted 120 people and waitlisted 230 that means they haven’t sent out a single rejection letter post interview to anyone. Wouldn’t it make sense to reject people who clearly don’t fit their mission and lower the waitlist numbers to people who do???

• Wow
Hey guys,

They have not yet established a CTE date. I’ve spoken several times to different people and each one have told me the choose your medical school tool is for students who have multiple acceptances, and there is no CTE deadline at this time.

That’s so unfair, why interview more people this cycle if the class size hasn’t changed at all? I asked misty during my interview about how many people Mercer was interviewing and she said 300 people in total, 100 at the Macon campus and 200 at the Savannah campus. If that’s the case and they accepted 120 people and waitlisted 230 that means they haven’t sent out a single rejection letter post interview to anyone. Wouldn’t it make sense to reject people who clearly don’t fit their mission and lower the waitlist numbers to people who do???

So if they really interviewed 300 people and have a full class now these numbers don't add up lol. And plus they definitely did send out rejections based on what I've read on this thread.

So if they really interviewed 300 people and have a full class now these numbers don't add up lol. And plus they definitely did send out rejections based on what I've read on this thread.
Oh wait you’re right, they interviewed 350 people, but that’s exactly what I was thinking?? They definitely rejected some people so how did 230 end up on the waitlist?

I definitely know from misty that savannah campus interviewed 200 students and I just asked a friend who interviewed at Macon and they interviewed approx 150 students. Last years data stated that they interviewed 281 students which wouldn’t make sense for this year since 230 were waitlisted :(

I definitely know from misty that savannah campus interviewed 200 students and I just asked a friend who interviewed at Macon and they interviewed approx 150 students. Last years data stated that they interviewed 281 students which wouldn’t make sense for this year since 230 were waitlisted :(

Do you know if that’s including ED applicants?

For anyone who was waitlisted last year and got accepted, did you have any say in what campus you wanted to be at or was there no choice left?

Also has anyone waitlisted already filled out FAFSA?

For anyone who was waitlisted last year and got accepted, did you have any say in what campus you wanted to be at or was there no choice left?

Also has anyone waitlisted already filled out FAFSA?

I got my first choice (Macon all four years) and I know a lot of people who got their second choice