2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Sadly, no...though I’m hoping it’s alphabetical lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection email sent at 10:24 AM today. After 4 long months of getting rolled over, I gotta say this is the worst outcome I could possibly conceive of. My username now takes on an appropriate sense of irony as I am now resigned to the osteopathic acceptances I have. Best of luck everyone, don't let the process erode you. See you guys in residency, - future Bone Wizard.

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current students recommend places to live in Macon? I’m touring all around town today and want any input I can get on commute with low rent vs higher rent with shorter commute, etc.

Does anyone know how often they release admissions decisions? I interviewed on January 15th!

Does anyone know how often they release admissions decisions? I interviewed on January 15th!

I think it’s the third Wednesday of every month and then they make calls or email decision the next day. On the portal it says decisions will be made by March 20.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my invitation to Accepted Student Day (second look day) on April 13th via snail mail this past Saturday! It only says it's at the Macon campus. Anyone know if there is one happening at the Savannah campus?

Got my invitation to Accepted Student Day (second look day) on April 13th via snail mail this past Saturday! It only says it's at the Macon campus. Anyone know if there is one happening at the Savannah campus?
I got mine last week. I’m also attending the Savannah campus but I’m pretty sure The event is only in Macon. I will be going so that I can learn more about the school, etc. but like you I wish there was one in Savannah also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine last week. I’m also attending the Savannah campus but I’m pretty sure The event is only in Macon. I will be going so that I can learn more about the school, etc. but like you I wish there was one in Savannah also.

There should be a lot more events for incoming students as it closer to school starting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity based on the number of people in the group does the class seem full?

Right now, there’s 90 people in the group. However, i think there’s some people who haven’t been added yet. Also, there’s some current students and faculty in the group as well to account for some of the 90 members.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't wait to meet everyone on April 13!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty contradictory information it says
"You are automatically placed on the alternate list - there is no need to respond to this email."
then goes on to say
"3. If you wish to remain on our Alternate List, please reply to this e-mail to [email protected] within 5 business days with your full name, AAMC ID, and complete contact information indicating that you accept this invitation to be on our Alternate List."

Pretty contradictory information it says
"You are automatically placed on the alternate list - there is no need to respond to this email."
then goes on to say
"3. If you wish to remain on our Alternate List, please reply to this e-mail to [email protected] within 5 business days with your full name, AAMC ID, and complete contact information indicating that you accept this invitation to be on our Alternate List."
Hahaha glad Im not the only one who noticed that! I was confused too about that but sent a reply email just in case

Reactions: 3 users
So who else is in Mercer's waitlist purgatory with me?!? :eek:

What are some of yall planning to do in the mean time?

Does anyone know when the deposit deadline is for those who were accepted? Just curious to see when people will start dropping deposits & us seeing movement on the waitlist lol.

Does anyone know when the deposit deadline is for those who were accepted? Just curious to see when people will start dropping deposits & us seeing movement on the waitlist lol.

TBH I’m not entirely sure. But I think somewhere around April 15 accepted students have to start narrowing down their acceptances.

Waitlisted after waiting since October

Mercer’s waitlist movement is usually very good! If you’re waitlisted and Mercer is your #1, definitely send a letter of intent

Mercer’s waitlist movement is usually very good! If you’re waitlisted and Mercer is your #1, definitely send a letter of intent
What if we already sent a substantial update? They state that we can only send one update to our application :/

Is a letter of intent submitted in the same way that a substantial update is submitted? The email says they accept updates so I just wasn’t sure if that included a LOI. Thanks for your constant willingness to help all of us!!

What if we already sent a substantial update? They state that we can only send one update to our application :/

I wondering the same thing. I sent one after my interview. If you call them can you let us know what they say please

Did anyone else apply for Nathn Deal scholarship? If so, have you heard anything?

Last edited:
I wondering the same thing. I sent one after my interview. If you call them can you let us know what they say please
I’m just going to let my app be for now. I was waitlisted 3/13 and sent my substantial update a few weeks prior. My update was 50/50 update and LOI so I’m not sending another

Did anyone else apply for Nathn Deal scholarship? If so, have you heard anything?
I applied! Haven’t heard anything... but i know a few people who already got interview invites for the scholarship. They started interviews this week.

Those of you who requested to stay on the waitlist, did y’all get a response from them after emailing them?

Could a current student speak to how they prepped for pbl meetings and in-general for tests to learn the material outside of pbl? Do they send out PowerPoints even though they don’t do lectures or is it just book material and 3rd party sources? Thank you!

Could a current student speak to how they prepped for pbl meetings and in-general for tests to learn the material outside of pbl? Do they send out PowerPoints even though they don’t do lectures or is it just book material and 3rd party sources? Thank you!

Did you hear back from them already?

Does anyone know if a Dean's Certification Letter is required for accepted students?

They do send Powerpoints and other supplemental materials on some topics, but it is by and large on you to learn the material via the assigned reading and/or 3rd party sources. For example, say the syllabus for a module has 50 topics in it...there may be a Powerpoint or monograph on maybe 5 or 6 of those topics available on Canvas. In the beginning, trying to figure out which resources work best for you is overwhelming, and you want someone to just tell you which resources to use. The answer you'll hear a lot of is that you have to figure out what works for you, which is really irritating to hear at the time but ultimately true. If I had to recommend one resource to invest in early on, Boards and Beyond has helped me more than anything, but it's certainly not all-inclusive.

For those who are trying to decide between multiple offers, I recommend really asking yourself whether this self-learning style sounds like it will work for you. It doesn't for everybody. I personally think I would have fared much better in a traditional lecture-based curriculum, while others in our class love the PBL curriculum. I'm getting through it, and you most certainly will too regardless, but it's definitely a major factor to consider.

Reactions: 3 users
They do send Powerpoints and other supplemental materials on some topics, but it is by and large on you to learn the material via the assigned reading and/or 3rd party sources. For example, say the syllabus for a module has 50 topics in it...there may be a Powerpoint or monograph on maybe 5 or 6 of those topics available on Canvas. In the beginning, trying to figure out which resources work best for you is overwhelming, and you want someone to just tell you which resources to use. The answer you'll hear a lot of is that you have to figure out what works for you, which is really irritating to hear at the time but ultimately true. If I had to recommend one resource to invest in early on, Boards and Beyond has helped me more than anything, but it's certainly not all-inclusive.

For those who are trying to decide between multiple offers, I recommend really asking yourself whether this self-learning style sounds like it will work for you. It doesn't for everybody. I personally think I would have fared much better in a traditional lecture-based curriculum, while others in our class love the PBL curriculum. I'm getting through it, and you most certainly will too regardless, but it's definitely a major factor to consider.

How does this exactly fit into the Step 1 studying method?
Do they TEST you on their powerpoints or boards materials? I think the difficulty in not using Zanki is bc we are unsure of the expectations tested in the curriculum