2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another week gone and not a single SDN member reports waitlist movement from Mercer.

But I guess none of the Georgia schools have had any movement on SDN with the exception of a couple people from MCG. Trying to stay hopeful

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Another week gone and not a single SDN member reports waitlist movement from Mercer.

But I guess none of the Georgia schools have had any movement on SDN with the exception of a couple people from MCG. Trying to stay hopeful

Yeah it's definitely a nationwide delay in WL movement. I noticed last year Mercer waitlisted people in mid February and this year it was mid March. Hoping we see some movement by early June.

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current medical students here speak about the books they purchased as an MS1? The financial aid page of Mercer says we are allowed $2700 for books and supplies for year 1, but I think this is excessive. I’ve seen other threads here that say an anatomy atlas, pathoma, and first aid are more than enough but I’m unsure. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it confidential.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current medical students here speak about the books they purchased as an MS1? The financial aid page of Mercer says we are allowed $2700 for books and supplies for year 1, but I think this is excessive. I’ve seen other threads here that say an anatomy atlas, pathoma, and first aid are more than enough but I’m unsure. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it confidential.
I do most of the assigned reading in the syllabus, but I use PDFs of the textbooks. There will be google drives going around with PDF downloads. Sometimes the versions of the books available are outdated and you'll have to do some additional digging if you want the newer version where the page numbers match up with the syllabus. Whether or not you want to buy paper copies of the books is up to you. I personally prefer PDFs because I can copy and paste images into my notes. When I take notes, I do a split screen with One Note on one side of my screen and the textbook on the other side.

If you do decide to purchase the books, I agree that $2700 is excessive. I've heard my classmates who bought the full set of books say they paid about $500. Some of that money is also supposed to go toward a roughly $500 kit for med practice that comes with an otoscope, ophthalmoloscope, etc. They'll tell you that purchasing it is mandatory. It is not (unless they change things for you all. Both our class and the class before us were told we had to buy those kits. Very few of us did).

Accepted students going to the Macon campus, please sign up and come to Summer Jam at Lofts at College Hill in Macon this Saturday at 6 pm! Great chance to meet your fellow classmates and us current 1st years! Free food and drinks! See you there

Accepted students going to the Macon campus, please sign up and come to Summer Jam at Lofts at College Hill in Macon this Saturday at 6 pm! Great chance to meet your fellow classmates and us current 1st years! Free food and drinks! See you there

Lol if I get in before this weekend I’ll definitely come thru.

Lol if I get in before this weekend I’ll definitely come thru.

Fingers crossed for you and everyone else waiting! I’m so sorry waitlist movement has been little to none this year :(

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone recently contacted the school to see if they’re expecting movement or if they already accepted people off the waitlist?

I feel like they’re telling us waitlist is moving but in reality they might have over accepted and are now waiting for enough people to drop

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone recently contacted the school to see if they’re expecting movement or if they already accepted people off the waitlist?

I feel like they’re telling us waitlist is moving but in reality they might have over accepted and are now waiting for enough people to drop
I called the admissions office last week and they still won't give out much but reiterated as others have said before... the class is full, they will take people off one by one till august as people drop their acceptances. Honestly im not holding out much hope for this past cycle.

• Sad
So I'm wondering if they just over accepted this time and that's why compared to last year we've seen minimal WL movement?

Well, that sucks.

So I'm wondering if they just over accepted this time and that's why compared to last year we've seen minimal WL movement?

Well, that sucks.

Hey so my friend reached out to admissions earlier today and they informed him that the waitlist has been moving and as of right now the class is completely full. They said they accepted a couple people last week as well. I'm guessing at this point no one is posting their WL decision on SDN. Also the facebook group grew by like 7 members in the last week so I guess it's having the same movement as last year people just aren't posting.

edited to give my friend credit for calling :rolleyes:

Hey so my friend reached out to admissions earlier today and they informed him that the waitlist has been moving and as of right now the class is completely full. They said they accepted a couple people last week as well. I'm guessing at this point no one is posting their WL decision on SDN. Also the facebook group grew by like 7 members in the last week so I guess it's having the same movement as last year people just aren't posting.

edited to give my friend credit for calling :rolleyes:
Thanks for the update after all the inactivity. Though not sure how I should react to this news...

On the bright side we know that there are less people in front of us on the waitlist now. But then again, it could mean that there is less of a chance we are going to see more movement from here on if there has already been that much movement :/

Hey Guys I am currently looking to apply here for the upcoming cycle and had a question about one of the secondary questions

Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain. (230)

Have accepted applicants only been individuals who have lived in these regions or if not what did you put for this question. I don't consider myself to have been raised in a medically underserved region but I'd hate to just leave the question blank. I have worked with medically underserved populations but I feel like I should save that the next question that asks me to highlight my experiences. Any advice?

Can you apply for Mercer Medical School if you don’t do rural medicine? What percentage of graduates do rural medicine from Mercer?

Can you apply for Mercer Medical School if you don’t do rural medicine? What percentage of graduates do rural medicine from Mercer?
Yes you can apply. It is not required. Once you complete residency you can practice anywhere you land a job. According their site, 60% of graduates practice in Georgia and 80% of those practice in rural or underserved areas (or is the key word). Statistics tell us that 48% of graduates practice in Georgia in a rural or underserved area. So less than half. If you’re a ga resident, I would definitely apply.

hey y’all!! any interview advice? i have my ED interview tuesday on the savannah campus.