2019-2020 Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question about their academic requirements. It says "...one year each (8 semester hours or equivalent)..." for bio and physics. My courses were only 3 semester hours each, so one year = 6 credits. Think that's what they mean by "or equivalent" ???

No, equivalent likely refers to those that use quarter systems. The 8 semester hours typically involve two 3-credit hour lectures and two 1-credit hour labs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having a super hard time answering the required "anything else" essay. I feel like I've covered so much of my life and activities in my application, so any other tidbits about myself would not be very "helpful to the Admissions Committee", just tangential. If the committee would like to hear about my middle school obsession with Broadway, I haven't covered that in my app, but I'm pretty sure it's not helpful.

I am an incoming M1 student here at Geisel. If anyone has any specific questions about the application or the program, feel free to message me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did everyone do who was on quarter hours for the pre-reqs portion? I'm assuming we convert to semester hours, but is there any reliable calculator/method for that??

I believe it is like two thirds or something similar. IE: 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours. 4 = 2.666. I am not 100% on this.

Question about their academic requirements. It says "...one year each (8 semester hours or equivalent)..." for bio and physics. My courses were only 3 semester hours each, so one year = 6 credits. Think that's what they mean by "or equivalent" ???

I think normally they're referring to schools that are on a quarter system or use a non-semester system. Did your bio and physics courses include labs? That's normally what they're looking for if they put 8 hours.
EDIT: sorry for being redundant, SDN didn't load a bunch of responses after you oops...

Are people using the 'anything else' part of the application for 'Why Dartmouth?' or does that not fit the prompt?

Are people using the 'anything else' part of the application for 'Why Dartmouth?' or does that not fit the prompt?
I think it’s fine as long as you have good reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
I wrote my diversity essay for the additional information prompt. Would that be inappropriate?

If my lab courses are listed separately from science courses, should I be adding those also to the requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Application complete 7/14

If your school goes by trimesters/quarters the credits/time unit are different

I tried to call the admissions office to clarify this, but have not heard back from them yet so wanted to see if anyone here might have an idea.

I did not take biochem as part of my postbacc program, as I was told that most schools that require it would allow me to take it prior to matriculation and it would have been very expensive. How should I list it in that case, since I am not sure if/when/where I would be taking it yet?

I think normally they're referring to schools that are on a quarter system or use a non-semester system. Did your bio and physics courses include labs? That's normally what they're looking for if they put 8 hours.
EDIT: sorry for being redundant, SDN didn't load a bunch of responses after you oops...
Dartmouth's undergrad has a strange system where every single course is one credit, so they are used to dealing with strange numbers of credits. They are just trying to say that they want the course you use as a prereq to be equivalent in content to a normal one semester course at most universities.

I tried to call the admissions office to clarify this, but have not heard back from them yet so wanted to see if anyone here might have an idea.

I did not take biochem as part of my postbacc program, as I was told that most schools that require it would allow me to take it prior to matriculation and it would have been very expensive. How should I list it in that case, since I am not sure if/when/where I would be taking it yet?

I also have a similar thing but with calculus. I listed it with my current university (so list it with your post bac school or your local university that allows you to take classes as a student at large) with the course number and mark it in progress. I don’t think you have to specify when. Just where and the class number.

Hi everyone! Seeing all of your posts on submitting like the day after getting your secondary, I am getting a little concerned about submitting today (two weeks after I received). Is it the case for most schools to look down upon applicants who submit this late? My LM is 69, so not very strong - high mcat, low gpa. I know that no one here is an expert on every school, but I was hoping for some insight!

Hi everyone! Seeing all of your posts on submitting like the day after getting your secondary, I am getting a little concerned about submitting today (two weeks after I received). Is it the case for most schools to look down upon applicants who submit this late? My LM is 69, so not very strong - high mcat, low gpa. I know that no one here is an expert on every school, but I was hoping for some insight!

No, you're fine. 2 weeks is golden.

No, you are 100 percent in the right. We submit day 1 because we prefer instant gratification and feeling productive than the delayed gratification of a finely polished application. Don’t worry about it.

Reactions: 3 users
No, you are 100 percent in the right. We submit day 1 because we prefer instant gratification and feeling productive than the delayed gratification of a finely polished application. Don’t worry about it.
I'm in this post and I don't like it

Reactions: 10 users
Thank you for all of the support folks! I am super sure you all are gonna be amazing in this cycle! :)

Hi everyone! For the tell us something else question, I could use some feedback as to whether or not it is considered something not discussed elsewhere in the application. I discuss a quality of mine that I think is at the core of my character, and use an example that was something within an activity. I discuss the activity in my work activity section but do not discuss it in this context. I am not re-stating any previous information and everything I am responding with is new content, but technically it refers to an activity previously listed. Is this okay? Or should I avoid anything activity related at all?

I also have a similar thing but with calculus. I listed it with my current university (so list it with your post bac school or your local university that allows you to take classes as a student at large) with the course number and mark it in progress. I don’t think you have to specify when. Just where and the class number.
Great. That is what I ended up doing as well. Thanks for the confirmation!

Hi everyone! For the tell us something else question, I could use some feedback as to whether or not it is considered something not discussed elsewhere in the application. I discuss a quality of mine that I think is at the core of my character, and use an example that was something within an activity. I discuss the activity in my work activity section but do not discuss it in this context. I am not re-stating any previous information and everything I am responding with is new content, but technically it refers to an activity previously listed. Is this okay? Or should I avoid anything activity related at all?

You could always call or email admissions

Verified 7/17, Secondary Received 7/18 OOS

Could anyone share their opinion about the "plans for the 2019-2020 academic year" question? I don't know if this should be utilitarian or lengthy. I know previous years requested specific course lists. Is that still what you think they are trying for, or should I write about my school year?

Could anyone share their opinion about the "plans for the 2019-2020 academic year" question? I don't know if this should be utilitarian or lengthy. I know previous years requested specific course lists. Is that still what you think they are trying for, or should I write about my school year?
I made mine pretty lengthy. Listed my class plans and my plans to become a leader of a club and contribute more community service.

This is what I did so I think it's fine.

Brief but specific (especially if you will be in school next year) in my opinion. One paragraph telling them your coursework, planned continuing activities, and planned new activities (be careful here not to include overzealous plans; they will be skeptical of it).

Might be a dumb question but where did you guys put the actual name of the course when listing the prereqs? I only see boxes for college, department, course #, and semester hours, but in the directions they mention "for course names, abbreviations are fine" which is why I'm confused

when its talking about "reflect on a situation", is it asking for a specific situation? For example, I will be talking about being harassed throughout my elementary, middle, and high school career for the general theme. In this case, can I use "being bullied" as the situation, or do I need to think of an exact situation in which I was bullied, "that one time I was beat up".

when its talking about "reflect on a situation", is it asking for a specific situation? For example, I will be talking about being harassed throughout my elementary, middle, and high school career for the general theme. In this case, can I use "being bullied" as the situation, or do I need to think of an exact situation in which I was bullied, "that one time I was beat up".
I think "being bullied" qualifies as a situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "being bullied" qualifies as a situation.
thank you for your reply. So in answering this prompt, I also want to give a "what I learned" and how I implement the lessons that I learned in a new situation. Would it be OK if I talked about how I implemented what I learned in highschool? I know that adcoms like to see stuff you have done after highschool (at least for the W/A section), so I'm not sure how strong of an example this would be. It's really a proud moment of my life though.

Don’t adcoms not take it seriously if it’s in hs lol
They prefer activities from after high school for the work and activities section on the primary. Mentioning high school in a secondary is OK, but I also suggested talking about after high school as well.

Sure. Maybe talk about how you implemented it after high school, too, though.
Basically I'm going to be talking about stopping a bully picking on someone else because I know how it feels to be bullied. I've never witnessed an event like this happen at the university, which is why I can't really talk about any "situations" after highschool

I encountered a similar type of question elsewhere, and what I did was, state the theme of your situation (i.e., I was bullied over X years in school...), then recall a specific situation to make it personal to the reader, then reflect on how it affect you personally (e.g., well-being, grades, feelings of exclusion, etc.), and finally how that made you grow (e.g., now I'm more sensitive to others' feelings, I make sure everyone is included, etc.)

Got the secondary. Given that there is no word or character limit for the second prompt (sharing something about yourself), is there still a reasonable or unspoken word limit to keep to? I have an essay that I believe would really fit the prompt, but its around 750 words. Would that be considered too long?

Got the secondary. Given that there is no word or character limit for the second prompt (sharing something about yourself), is there still a reasonable or unspoken word limit to keep to? I have an essay that I believe would really fit the prompt, but its around 750 words. Would that be considered too long?

This is advice coming from another applicant, so take it with a grain of salt. My essay for this one also ended up being quite long, but I’ve been just asking myself “Does this all feel genuine and does it all feel necessary to get across the point I want to?” If the answer is yes, I say go ahead and use it.

Mine ended around 340 because I literally just picked one anecdote that isn’t in my primary and threw it in there. Tell them something about yourself, not everything. Save something for the interview!

Last edited by a moderator:
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/19/19
Secondary submitted and complete 7/28/19

Does anyone have the prompts for MD-PhD? Thanks!
No prompt, just list up to 12 faculty members you would be interested in working with.

• Wow
II!!!!

EDIT: Complete 7/13,
2 dates available mid-September

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users