2019-2020 Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok let’s get into and matriculate into the same school. K thanks.

Lets collect all the LGBT applicants and all go to one school.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
A few schools publish the % of students that identify as LGBT in their “incoming class profile.” I was amazed by how high Perelman’s was - 12%!

Reactions: 2 users

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Confirmed: 8/6

Completed: 8/8

Idk if anyone cares about that info but I'm a first time Canadian applicant and this is my first app ever completed and idk why but I'm excited

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Confirmed: 8/6

Completed: 8/8

Idk if anyone cares about that info but I'm a first time Canadian applicant and this is my first app ever completed and idk why but I'm excited

Its the little things :soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one who still checks my portal when other people report interviews even though I know it will be via email?

Lol are there schools who don't send emails for IIs?

Gonnif says there are, I don't believe him, but I still hit that refresh key to calm the little Elmo in my mind that says to do so.
I think someone on the Keck thread said they got an II on their portal but never got an email, not even in spam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the "other" prompt, is it way too risky to talk about holding certain political views in a location that's notoriously the opposite. I did learn a ton from the experience and it would be my best honest answer. I'm also willing to be a bit bold and take a risk, but if it's going to be an instant R I won't do it

For the "other" prompt, is it way too risky to talk about holding certain political views in a location that's notoriously the opposite. I did learn a ton from the experience and it would be my best honest answer. I'm also willing to be a bit bold and take a risk, but if it's going to be an instant R I won't do it
I did this.

Lol if it is being conservative in a majority liberal area I would be hesitant as I'm guessing a majority of adcoms will have liberal biases, but I'm not totally sure.

• Love
Lol if it is being conservative in a majority liberal area I would be hesitant as I'm guessing a majority of adcoms will have liberal biases, but I'm not totally sure.
This is probably true, especially at somewhere like Dartmouth. But I think as long as you word your answer tactfully and respectfully they will not count it against you. Differences in opinions are okay and welcome. That's kind of the point of the prompt.

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably true, especially at somewhere like Dartmouth. But I think as long as you word your answer tactfully and respectfully they will not count it against you. Differences in opinions are okay and welcome. That's kind of the point of the prompt.

Theoretically differences in opinion are welcome, but with the current political state of the country I would never count out someone letting their bias come into play...although it hopefully wouldn't. I would argue that someone who supports some of the things that Trump has done/said lacks important qualities of a future physician...

Of course, I don't think that only liberals should be allowed to become doctors, but if I was an adcom reading an essay about how you hold strong conservative views it would be hard to separate you from a lot of the terrible things we've seen lately. But, obviously I'm not an adcom and they're probably strongly told not to let this kind of bias affect them.

Theoretically differences in opinion are welcome, but with the current political state of the country I would never count out someone letting their bias come into play...although it hopefully wouldn't. I would argue that someone who supports some of the things that Trump has done/said lacks important qualities of a future physician...

Of course, I don't think that only liberals should be allowed to become doctors, but if I was an adcom reading an essay about how you hold strong conservative views it would be hard to separate you from a lot of the terrible things we've seen lately. But, obviously I'm not an adcom and they're probably strongly told not to let this kind of bias affect them.
I agree. And I should actually probably revise what I said earlier. Not all differences in opinion are welcomed. Like, you shouldn't express blatantly racist opinions (or even have them, I hope). But if it's something like economic policy then it should be fine.

You can also be vague and just say how you were in the minority of political opinion and how this taught you to respectfully disagree with other people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Know your audience. Adcoms have made a killing in the last 10yrs thanks to govt. loans provided for education - just look at the increase in tuition adjusted for inflation 2009-2019. I'd strongly advise one to leave politics out of the discussion - especially if your views conflict with those of their cash cow.

I agree. And I should actually probably revise what I said earlier. Not all differences in opinion are welcomed. Like, you shouldn't express blatantly racist opinions (or even have them, I hope). But if it's something like economic policy then it should be fine.

You can also be vague and just say how you were in the minority of political opinion and how this taught you to respectfully disagree with other people.

This is what I planned to do. I don't want to bring up specific issues as I feel that that is beside the point. The point is that I legitimately have increased my ability to have productive debates and see both sides of issues. I have also helped those around with the opposite views improve in the same way (according to them). The specific issues aren't pertinent to the essay, and I only have 250 words anyway. I'm a big proponent of honesty in applications and would rather risk it with genuine writing vs fluffing up some other situation.

Edit: Also for clarification, I absolutely do not hold any racist/discriminatory views against any group

Last edited:
This is what I planned to do. I don't want to bring up specific issues as I feel that that is beside the point. The point is that I legitimately have increased my ability to have productive debates and see both sides of issues. I have also helped those around with the opposite views improve in the same way (according to them). The specific issues aren't pertinent to the essay, and I only have 250 words anyway. I'm a big proponent of honesty in applications and would rather risk it with genuine writing vs fluffing up some other situation.

Respect. Still think it may be taking an unnecessary risk if done incorrectly but good luck with it! Hopefully I'm wrong about how closed-minded the adcoms could potentially be but I'm just aware of how polarizing today's political scene is haha

EDIT: With a LM of 84 they probably won't read your essay anyways lmaooo

Respect. Still think it may be taking an unnecessary risk if done incorrectly but good luck with it! Hopefully I'm wrong about how closed-minded the adcoms could potentially be but I'm just aware of how polarizing today's political scene is haha

EDIT: With a LM of 84 they probably won't read your essay anyways lmaooo
Haha I'll keep this thread updated in case anyone in the coming years is wondering about a risky prompt. The worst that can happen is that I'll get rejected right off the bat :)

Haha I'll keep this thread updated in case anyone in the coming years is wondering about a risky prompt. The worst that can happen is that I'll get rejected right off the bat :)

Haha it sounds like you'll probably not do it poorly enough for that to be the case, I expect it'll be a good essay :thumbup:

-Side note: you feeling the need to clarify that you're not racist shows the standard that our president has created in this country :rofl:

-Second side not: not calling you racist, just taking another shot at Agent Orange ;)

Haha it sounds like you'll probably not do it poorly enough for that to be the case, I expect it'll be a good essay :thumbup:

-Side note: you feeling the need to clarify that you're not racist shows the standard that our president has created in this country :rofl:

-Second side not: not calling you racist, just taking another shot at Agent Orange ;)
While on the subject of adcoms and politics, is it ever possible or likely to be asked a somewhat political health related question during interviews? Such as about abortion or fully govt funded healthcare (although I would kinda expect the latter to be a viable Q)? I was talking with a physician the other day, he said that it is usually not OK to be asked these, but that he did get a Q on abortion during his interview.

Not to say I'm on one side or the other of politics, but I was curious whether I should prepare for the more "sensitive" healthcare related topics

I mean, n = 1, but I’ve already gotten IIs to places where I used this essay and I mentioned political differences in my answer. I am liberal though.

I used “I have a child and my friends don’t” as the ‘other’ essay. Kinda generic, probably could have done being ostracized by my wife’s family while visiting on the Rez...meh, let’s see

While on the subject of adcoms and politics, is it ever possible or likely to be asked a somewhat political health related question during interviews? Such as about abortion or fully govt funded healthcare (although I would kinda expect the latter to be a viable Q)? I was talking with a physician the other day, he said that it is usually not OK to be asked these, but that he did get a Q on abortion during his interview.

Not to say I'm on one side or the other of politics, but I was curious whether I should prepare for the more "sensitive" healthcare related topics
Definitely prepare. I've talked to people I know who interviewed/ are student interviewers and they said it's fair game. Abortion/ assisted suicide are obviously less likely than healthcare policy (which is almost a guarantee at at least one of your II), but still prepare

I used “I have a child and my friends don’t” as the ‘other’ essay. Kinda generic, probably could have done being ostracized by my wife’s family while visiting on the Rez...meh, let’s see
I think that's a great essay and I'm sure having a child has developed your character a ton. Dartmouth loves non trads so you should be looking good!

Finally submitted, good luck everyone! May the odds be ever in our favor.

Finally submitted, good luck everyone! May the odds be ever in our favor.
I see you are one of the applicants who fled towards the woods to find resources. We shall see if you shall overcome the established base at the center of the arena.

Edit: *he says as he desperately refreshes his Dartmouth portal hoping for any news*

• Haha
II just now!!!!!!! this will never not be thrilling!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users