2019-2020 University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the final decision letter (live in Memphis), and it's an alternate as expected. The FAQ they include says that most alternate movement takes place in early May - does that hold true for this cycle? Or since they just sent out final decisions, do you think that alternate movement will be starting later?
I'm really conflicted on this because either way, there was a lot of movement in the beginning of the month because people holding multiple acceptances had to make a decision. But there also wasn't an alternate list yet to be pulling from... so did they accept more people than normal straight off of hold, or are we going to start getting calls in the next week to be pulled off of alternate list and into those vacant spots? I'm probably gonna ask once I've received my letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really conflicted on this because either way, there was a lot of movement in the beginning of the month because people holding multiple acceptances had to make a decision. But there also wasn't an alternate list yet to be pulling from... so did they accept more people than normal straight off of hold, or are we going to start getting calls in the next week to be pulled off of alternate list and into those vacant spots? I'm probably gonna ask once I've received my letter.

I wouldn’t hesitate asking about your relative position on the waitlist. (If you are middle or bottom third that is UTHSC’s way of giving you an R and you can get some closure.) But, they can’t predict how much waitlist movement there will be so I wouldn’t bother asking.

Reactions: 1 user
The alternate list FAQs sheet says they "do not inform alternates of their exact ranking or relative standing." I thought they would if you emailed them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is the best person to e-mail about finding out placement on the waitlist?

Who is the best person to e-mail about finding out placement on the waitlist?

I emailed Dean Strother last year. Not sure if they are asking people not to ask this year? So no promises. He replied within a few hours though :)

I asked during my interview day if we could ask him and he said yes. I’m assuming i didn’t get a response because i emailed before they even mailed letters. I will email him again once i actually receive my letter.

I asked during my interview day if we could ask him and he said yes. I’m assuming i didn’t get a response because i emailed before they even mailed letters. I will email him again once i actually receive my letter.
Update: he responded! I am in top third. Exciting, but who the heck knows what will happen

Reactions: 4 users
Really good chance you’ll be accepted off the waitlist
My only concerns are
1. Apparently only 30 people got off the waitlist last year?
2. with 268 people on the waitlist, the top third is a larger number of applicants

Reactions: 6 users
No not yet.. I'm kind of hesitant until I get the actual letter. Have you gotten yours yet?
That’s understandable. I haven’t, but I just saw it will be here today! I live in middle TN.

Members don't see this ad :)
My only concerns are
1. Apparently only 30 people got off the waitlist last year?
2. with 268 people on the waitlist, the top third is a larger number of applicants
According to MSAR, they accepted 60 people with the most recent data. I’m not sure if that’s for the last app cycle, but that’s what I have currently. Also, you never know if they are putting less on the waitlist this year! It could be 225 people. It could also be argued that 300 will be this year as well.

Also, for those asking who to contact, I believe Nelson Strother is the best. But I’m my interview, they said waitlist positions and movements aren’t dealt with by the adcoms. Instead, they are handled by the administration side of the COM. The adcoms are focusing on the next app cycle once it gets handed off

According to MSAR, they accepted 60 people with the most recent data. I’m not sure if that’s for the last app cycle, but that’s what I have currently. Also, you never know if they are putting less on the waitlist this year! It could be 225 people. It could also be argued that 300 will be this year as well.

Also, for those asking who to contact, I believe Nelson Strother is the best. But I’m my interview, they said waitlist positions and movements aren’t dealt with by the adcoms. Instead, they are handled by the administration side of the COM. The adcoms are focusing on the next app cycle once it gets handed off

1) They didn’t accept more than 40 people off the waitlist last cycle (they barely broke 30 by late July). My source for that is last year’s thread and I know people who were in the 50-60 range and were not accepted :(

2) The waitlist FAQ for this year says the waitlist is 268 people. That is 89-90 people in the top third so if this year is like last year, the top third of the top third has a decent shot, but definitely make a plan B no matter where you are on the waitlist. I don’t want to be a Debbie downer but AMCAS for the 2021 cycle can be submitted as early as May 28th so it can really hurt someone’s cycle if we give too much false hope. I know in the years before last year they accepted 60-70 people off the waitlist, but that was before the pretty substantial changes to the traffic rules that started last year.

3) I emailed Nelson Strother last year to ask my position and he replied within a few hours. He is still telling people their relative position this year based on the post from @Chickenluv27 :)

P.S. all these numbers are for instate people. They can legally matriculate only 17 OOS students so I am almost positive there is a separate waitlist for OOS.

1) They didn’t accept more than 40 people off the waitlist last cycle (they barely broke 30 by late July). My source for that is last year’s thread and I know people who were in the 50-60 range and were not accepted :(

2) The waitlist FAQ for this year says the waitlist is 268 people. That is 89-90 people in the top third so if this year is like last year, the top third of the top third has a decent shot, but definitely make a plan B no matter where you are on the waitlist. I don’t want to be a Debbie downer but AMCAS for the 2021 cycle can be submitted as early as May 28th so it can really hurt someone’s cycle if we give too much false hope. I know in the years before last year they accepted 60-70 people off the waitlist, but that was before the pretty substantial changes to the traffic rules that started last year.

3) I emailed Nelson Strother last year to ask my position and he replied within a few hours. He is still telling people their relative position this year based on the post from @Chickenluv27 :)

P.S. all these numbers are for instate people. They can legally matriculate only 17 OOS students so I am almost positive there is a separate waitlist for OOS.
Thank you for this. Do you know how people found out they were specifically in the 50-60 range?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for this. Do you know how people found out they were specifically in the 50-60 range?

They were homies with Dean Strother? But seriously, I have no idea, I was wondering that too last year lol

• Haha
My guess would be that they were told they were in the top third and ended up not getting off the list. Not sure if that makes sense but just a thought

So peeps who are on waitlist... what’s your plan B for next year? What are you gonna do to boost your application?

So peeps who are on waitlist... what’s your plan B for next year? What are you gonna do to boost your application?
Currently holding a position at a DO school. Regardless of what happens, I’ll be content, just more hoops to jump through. I haven’t received my official WL btw, still waiting

Just got my alternate list letter in the mail! Left a message with Dean Strother to hopefully find out my place on the list.

Dean Strother just replied to my email that I sent yesterday asking about my spot on the alternate list, and I was told that I'm in the top 3rd! Hopefully that's a good sign

Reactions: 3 users
also in top 3rd but seems like a lot of people are...

Just turned down my acceptance- hopefully will open up a spot for one of yall waiting to hear something!

Reactions: 10 users
i’ll be attending another school but i haven’t gotten the official alternate list letter in the mail yet.

For anyone wondering, I emailed Nelson Strother and asked him how many got off the waitlist last year - he said off the top of his head, around 60. Big news!!!

Reactions: 5 users
For anyone wondering, I emailed Nelson Strother and asked him how many got off the waitlist last year - he said off the top of his head, around 60. Big news!!!

that is awesome! I hope this year is like that!

Same. Also very suspicious
6 people have posted about being in the top third, and there are 89-90 people who are in it. Not suspicious at all, the people that are in the top third just happen to be posting.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
6 people have posted about being in the top third, and there are 89-90 people who are in it. Not suspicious at all, the people are in the top third just happen to be posting.
Hope you’re right. I wonder when we’ll start to see some movement

Got my letter, and sent the email. Reeeeally hoping I get told top third...
Did he respond pretty quickly to y’all?

Well I am middle third so it’s been fun guys, I will be getting my masters it looks like and apply again next year!

I’ll post this here as an FYI because the thread for the UTHSC Master’s of Pharmacology is pretty dead. As of last week, 0 out of the 20 MD applicants in the UTHSC Master’s of Pharm program were accepted to UTHSC COM this cycle. Some people might get in off the waitlist but I would be extremely cautious of that master’s program going forward.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll post this here as an FYI because the thread for the UTHSC Master’s of Pharmacology is pretty dead. As of last week, 0 out of the 20 MD applicants in the UTHSC Master’s of Pharm program were accepted to UTHSC COM this cycle. Some people might get in off the waitlist but I would be extremely cautious of that master’s program going forward.
Well that’s rough bc that’s the masters program I’m doing lol