2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can we still remain on other schools' waitlists after selecting commit to enroll?
“Plan to Enroll” keeps your other waitlists active.

“Commit to Enroll” is the nuclear option—it irreversibly binds you to that single school. This becomes available April 30th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned on this thread before, it appears that there is a lack of publicly available match lists for UA- PHX. I decided it would be useful to go ahead and compile a list on my own for the last 6 years (2016-2021) based on all of the match videos that UA-PHX has posted on YouTube. Here is an attached excel sheet for anyone to view. I know it can be difficult to tell how "competitive" or "prestigious" UA- PHX is (if that's the kind of thing you care about) because it's a newer program and sometimes hard to separate from UA-Tucson in how it's perceived/ranked. In my opinion, I was very impressed with the matches and I feel confident that UA - PHX can deliver students to any top specialty or program.

Please note:
  • This list is not exhaustive and is not perfect. Some students were hard to hear and every match may have not been announced in the videos.
  • There may very well be typos or incorrect names/locations (I'm just trying my best here). But if there is truly an egregious error, just DM me and I can fix it.
  • I could not find a video that displayed all the matches for the 2020 match. Please let me know if you find one. I just listed the ones I was able to glean from summary videos.
  • Radiology matches are listed as "Diagnostic Radiology" unless noted otherwise by the student (ex. Interventional Rad.)

If you don't feel like scouring through the lists, here is a summary:
  • Most common matches were IS, as to be expected, primarily at UA- Phoenix, UA- Tucson, University Banner Medical Center- Phoenix, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix Children's Hospital, St. Joseph's, and also several at Mayo - AZ.
  • Programs in California were by far the second most common with tons of matches at UCLA, UC- Irvine, UCSD, and plenty of other non-university hospitals such as Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.
  • Programs in Texas seemed to be third most common.
  • As one might expect, most common matches were Internal Med, Emergency Med, Ob/Gyn and Peds. However, many highly-competitive specialties and programs were represented. Here are some notable/unique matches by year:
    • 2016: 9 Rads (including 2 at Mayo), 2 Neurosurgery, 3 Optho, 2 Ortho (including 1 at Johns Hopkins), 2 Uro, 1 Vascular Surgery, Peds @ Penn, Psych @ Yale
    • 2017: 5 Anesthesiology (including Penn and Duke), 11 Rads (including Mayo and Columbia), Interventional Rads @ Stanford, 1 Optho, 5 Ortho (including Stanford and UCSF), 1 ENT, 1 Plastics, an Internal Med @ Johns Hopkins
    • 2018: Interventional Rads @ WashU, 2 Optho (including Emory), 4 Ortho, 4 total matches @ Penn
    • 2019: 7 Anesthesiology (including UCSF and 2 Mayo), Interventional Rads @ Emory, Neurology @ Barrow, 2 Neurosurgery (including Cleveland Clinic), 1 Ortho, 1 Optho, 2 ENT, Pathology @ Yale, an Internal Med @ Beth Israel Deaconess (Harvard)
    • 2020 (very incomplete): 1 Plastics
    • 2021: 7 Anesthesiology (including Columbia), 2 Derm (including Emory), 6 Rads (including Yale and Mayo), 2 Interventional Rads, 2 Ortho, some very impressive Peds matches @ WashU, Emory, Johns Hopkins, UMich.
Edit: Changed from a google sheet to an Excel Link

Attachments

• UA-Phoenix Match Results.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone hear back about the pathway scholars program today? During the March 2nd VAVD I thought I heard dean Fogerty say we should expect decisions by today, but now I’m thinking he might have said 4/5.
Anxiety is building over here—would appreciate any knowledge people have on the matter

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back about the pathway scholars program today? During the March 2nd VAVD I thought I heard dean Fogerty say we should expect decisions by today, but now I’m thinking he might have said 4/5.
Anxiety is building over here—would appreciate any knowledge people have on the matter
He said 4/6; I’m freaking out too! Good luck!!

Welcome back, folks. Anyone hear the good word? Expecting a WL email sometime soon lol.

Accepted as well!! Got called around 12:30 TX time so 10:30 AZ time. He was so nice and really personable on the phone. I am an IS student and pretty positive I will be attending. My VAVD was 2/22

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those accepted! Hope to see y'alls introductions in the FB page very soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked to him this morning, he said he was making about 14 calls if that helps anyone.

When I talked to him this morning, he said he was making about 14 calls if that helps anyone.
Hmmm... that makes me think there will be another round of As, based on the ratio of offers to matriculated from previous years.

Did anyone get an email today? Just wondering because I haven’t received any communication, call or email

Lol this is the second straight decision day that they forgot us

• Haha
Has anyone applying to Pathway Scholars gotten a call or email? I’m dying waiting over here lol

Decisions coming out this afternoon for those of us left on read

Reactions: 4 users
Also I called and tried to be vague about identifying info to not appear needy, but they responded over email sooo

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone think As are going to come out today? Doesn't seem like a lot of calls actually happened..... Or is this just emails for WL/R/Deferred.......

Anyone think As are going to come out today? Doesn't seem like a lot of calls actually happened..... Or is this just emails for WL/R/Deferred.......
One person said Dr. Fogerty said he was making about 15 calls, which is the norm. So I would assume it would be for final WL/R decisions

Does anyone know if there is a Groupme or Facebook group or something for accepted students?

Just got placed on the alternate list!

Alternate list. Attended first VAVD on 9/1 and was deferred a total of 10 times, guess I’ll just keep waiting and hoping lol

• Care
Is this the normal portal we sent our secondary in? I just was looking on that and did not see anything.
No it’s the one they emailed to us months ago with the subject title “Your personalized Applicant Portal.” I’m sorry you didn’t know about this a long time ago. This is where all the second look registration and zoom links were. It has our next steps to prepare for enrollment and everything.

Perhaps check your spam or promotions folders if you can’t find it.

No it’s the one they emailed to us months ago with the subject title “Your personalized Applicant Portal.” I’m sorry you didn’t know about this a long time ago. This is where all the second look registration and zoom links were. It has our next steps to prepare for enrollment and everything.

Perhaps check your spam or promotions folders if you can’t find it.
I just got accepted yesterday so I just might not have gotten it yet. But this super helpful regardless so thank you!!

I got accepted to the pathway scholars program yesterday! Omg this is a dream come true!! It’s been 7 years since I decided I wanted to be a physician. It’s been a road of ups and downs and I excited to finally say IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR! Can’t wait to meet you all who have been accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting and hoping!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Ngl seems like a lot of us are on the alternate list. 😬

Ngl seems like a lot of us are on the alternate list. 😬
Yes, but also I heard that due to covid, most med schools are not requiring deposits to hold their spot?? So there could be more people than previous years who will choose a different school. At the same time, with way more applicants this year, it might be the same number taken off the alternate list since its been so much tougher to get in.

Have any scholarship form apps heard back yet?
I’m wondering the same thing. I just got the email from Dr. Fogerty and scholarships are mentioned in there. It says “if you asked to be considered for a scholarship, our review committee has completed their initial scholarship selections and notifications.”
I haven’t gotten a notification, so I assume I didn’t get a scholarship? Can anyone that got a scholarship confirm that notifications went out?

I’m wondering the same thing. I just got the email from Dr. Fogerty and scholarships are mentioned in there. It says “if you asked to be considered for a scholarship, our review committee has completed their initial scholarship selections and notifications.”
I haven’t gotten a notification, so I assume I didn’t get a scholarship? Can anyone that got a scholarship confirm that notifications went out?
Wondering the same!

+1, I haven’t heard from the limited institutional scholarship but heard from the PCP one.
I hope they give us something...