2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical College at Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the "I have overcome a significant hardship" checkbox. Would overcoming a speech impediment count for this question?

Question about the "I have overcome a significant hardship" checkbox. Would overcoming a speech impediment count for this question?
Sounds more like a challenge/adversity essay than a challenge. Not a hardship. I personally wouldn’t

Sounds more like a challenge/adversity essay than a challenge. Not a hardship. I personally wouldn’t
MCW doesn't have a challenge/adversity, just "significant hardship." So just leave that one blank in your opinion?

secondary received! @TheDataKing

Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals.

Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

regional campus essays

Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically under-served communities.

Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
secondary received!

Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals.

Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

regional campus essays

Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically under-served communities.

Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community.

Word/character count?

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received! @TheDataKing

regional campus essays

is the second prompt recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret? I prewrote for failure so wanna be sure before I scrap it...yikes

is the second prompt recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret? I prewrote for failure so wanna be sure before I scrap it...yikes

Same. Yeah I also prewrote for failure because last year's prompt had that. But based on the wording of this year's prompt I think I'm gonna have to rewrite or seriously modify my existing essay.

I guess you could say I regret prewriting it like that. Smh

Reactions: 2 users
OOS secondary received last night. was in my spam folder

Reactions: 1 user
thinking about writing about my IA for a decision I regret and what I learned from it. would y'all rec to stay away from talking about an IA? i def regret it and learned a lot from it lol

thinking about writing about my IA for a decision I regret and what I learned from it. would y'all rec to stay away from talking about an IA? i def regret it and learned a lot from it lol

I think it's probably best to stay away from emphasizing it more. I think the essay would probably be good but you want to stay away from being remembered as "the one with the IA"

I think it's probably best to stay away from emphasizing it more. I think the essay would probably be good but you want to stay away from being remembered as "the one with the IA"
after some research i think you’re right. might as well to try to find something else i regret haha

So I took Ca$per in May and their website says that it has been delivered to all the schools I selection, but my application status on the MCW secondary site says it hasn't been received... This happening to anyone else??

Reactions: 4 users
So I took Ca$per in May and their website says that it has been delivered to all the schools I selection, but my application status on the MCW secondary site says it hasn't been received... This happening to anyone else??
Same here, something similar happened with a different school and it showed up as complete after I submitted, so I wouldnt worry too much yet

Does the Dean's Form have to be filled out even if we didn't matriculate at a med school previously and didn't have any disciplinary actions taken against us?
looking at past years' threads the status for that form goes away once you hit submit, so no if you didn't have either of those situations you don't need to fill it out.

OOS, secondary was in my spam folder July 12.

Here I was sitting confused why I didn’t get a secondary....turns out, MCW sent the invitation to the school email I used TWO YEARS AGO when I first applied. I in no way linked this application to that old email, good thing I still have access to it

Add the email to your contact list! I've been doing this to try and avoid pertinent messages landing in my spam.
Better yet, set up a filter so that any emails that are defined as spam still show up in your inbox. i did this with my gmail account. i do get other junk showing up in my inbox as a result, but its better than constantly checking the spam folder to see if you missed anything

Might be a stupid question lol but which campus is their main one?

Happening to me, I'll give it a few days before contacting them

Same. Yeah I also prewrote for failure because last year's prompt had that. But based on the wording of this year's prompt I think I'm gonna have to rewrite or seriously modify my existing essay.

I guess you could say I regret prewriting it like that. Smh

So I just realized the prompts were not the same and also pre-wrote my secondary on last year's prompt and (unfortunately) wrote about a failure. I submitted mine yesterday. This is probably a rejection because I didn't answer the question, do you think? sad times :(

So I just realized the prompts were not the same and also pre-wrote my secondary on last year's prompt and (unfortunately) wrote about a failure. I submitted mine yesterday. This is probably a rejection because I didn't answer the question, do you think? sad times :(
Was it a decision that led to a failure? I had mine pre-written as a failure essay too but I shifted the wording a bit so I make it clear I made a poor decision a regretful one and that happened to result in a failure. Don't get why they tweaked it randomly

No secondary for me. My MCAT is this Saturday, does anyone know if they require the MCAT prior to sending secondaries this cycle?

Anyone just applying to the Milwaukee campus? My entire app is all about urban health and I feel like it would be kinda disingenuous to write about experiences with rural communities for the regional campus essays, but also don't want to make it look like I'm trying to avoid doing the other two essays.

No secondary for me. My MCAT is this Saturday, does anyone know if they require the MCAT prior to sending secondaries this cycle?
I dont take the MCAT until August and I got mine on Saturday! Hang in there, im sure its coming

Anyone just applying to the Milwaukee campus? My entire app is all about urban health and I feel like it would be kinda disingenuous to write about experiences with rural communities for the regional campus essays, but also don't want to make it look like I'm trying to avoid doing the other two essays.
I’m just applying to Milwaukee. I have rural connections, but not in Wisconsin, and I’m not super interested in their three-year programs. There are plenty of reasons someone would just apply to the main campus!

Reactions: 1 users

I'm only applying to Milwaukee, and I grew up in a rural background in the midwest. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Was it a decision that led to a failure? I had mine pre-written as a failure essay too but I shifted the wording a bit so I make it clear I made a poor decision a regretful one and that happened to result in a failure. Don't get why they tweaked it randomly
I did the same thing! Changed it to a decision that I regretted that resulted in a failure.

Let me know what you hear if you do contact them. Just checked mine again and still no update of my casper score

+1. I’m guessing it will take a couple more days

In state,
Secondary received: 7/13
Submitted: 7/13
Marked complete: 7/14

Received a secondary today, OOS with no MCAT yet, so it seems like they are sending them to people without MCAT scores. I'm also under the 90 credit minimum requirement as of right now.

My portal also says that they have not received my CASPer yet but the CASPer site said results were delivered so that seems to be a widespread issue.

Received a secondary today, OOS with no MCAT yet, so it seems like they are sending them to people without MCAT scores. I'm also under the 90 credit minimum requirement as of right now.

My portal also says that they have not received my CASPer yet but the CASPer site said results were delivered so that seems to be a widespread issue.

Yea I contacted them about that CASPer issue, because I already took the CASPer test on June 4, but it wasn't appearing in my portal. I emailed them about this discrepancy and they were able to fix the issue and show my score as received on my portal.

I think they have to retrieve it or something because RWJMS does something similar where they match your Casper score to your app after submission