2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same. Yeah I also prewrote for failure because last year's prompt had that. But based on the wording of this year's prompt I think I'm gonna have to rewrite or seriously modify my existing essay.

I guess you could say I regret prewriting it like that. Smh

I think you can still write about failure: the prompt is either failed or regret. I am writing about failure.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can still write about failure: the prompt is either failed or regret. I am writing about failure.
The prompt only says regret. Doesn't say anything about failure. I suppose you can talk about a regretful decision that caused you to fail at something. But the wording is different than it's been in previous years.

For the additonal details based on unique backgrounds check boxes, are people listing their specific identities or writing something akin to a diversity essay

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the additonal details based on unique backgrounds check boxes, are people listing their specific identities or writing something akin to a diversity essay
I wrote a diversity/adversity essay about how those identities impact my perspective.

The prompt only says regret. Doesn't say anything about failure. I suppose you can talk about a regretful decision that caused you to fail at something. But the wording is different than it's been in previous years.

You are correct. My apologies, I was looking at the prompt from last year. Yikes.

Does anyone know what the main differences are between the three campuses?

Does anyone know what the main differences are between the three campuses?
Green bay and Central Wisconsin are 3 year MD programs that set you up for primary care specialties. Many lectures are in remote classroom cause main campus is Milwaukee

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm an OOS-er. I realize there is significant IS favoritism here, but does anyone know if certain campuses are more OOS-friendly than others?

I'm an OOS-er. I realize there is significant IS favoritism here, but does anyone know if certain campuses are more OOS-friendly than others?

Milwaukee campus is much more OOS friendly and has a larger class size than the other two

Milwaukee is

Thank you all! Also, In the secondary question regarding regional campuses: "Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically under-served communities."

this question is to be answered no matter what campus you're applying to?

Thank you all! Also, In the secondary question regarding regional campuses: "Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically under-served communities."

this question is to be answered no matter what campus you're applying to?

I only applied to Milwaukee and did not have this question pop up

Thank you! just trying to understand bc I haven't received yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi There,

I am a non-traditional student-- this school is my first choice because we just relocated to Milwaukee with kids and the school also looks really awesome. Can you tell me if the school prefers in-state applicants at all campuses or simply at the regional campuses? I think we can get state residency because my husband started a job here back in April, but just trying to figure it out.

Thank you!

Hi There,

I am a non-traditional student-- this school is my first choice because we just relocated to Milwaukee with kids and the school also looks really awesome. Can you tell me if the school prefers in-state applicants at all campuses or simply at the regional campuses? I think we can get state residency because my husband started a job here back in April, but just trying to figure it out.

Thank you!

The school definitely has a preference for IS all around, but a good amount of OOS matriculate at the Milwaukee campus. Typically, 50-60% of Milwaukee matriculants are IS. IS is especially favored at the 3-year-track regional campuses with 95% of those students IS.

What are other people's opinions on the covid prompt? They say they understand there may be disruptions and ask if we have anything else to provide. So, should we not explain any disruptions?

What are other people's opinions on the covid prompt? They say they understand there may be disruptions and ask if we have anything else to provide. So, should we not explain any disruptions?

I personally left it blank as my application hasnt really been impacted that much. The main thing for me is having had to stop some of my volunteering activities but beyond that nothing much.

I felt like they could pretty clearly see that from the end date I put on activities

I personally left it blank as my application hasnt really been impacted that much. The main thing for me is having had to stop some of my volunteering activities but beyond that nothing much.

I felt like they could pretty clearly see that from the end date I put on activities
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I've started a couple of activities to help during the crisis. Do you think it would be inappropriate to mention that here?

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I've started a couple of activities to help during the crisis. Do you think it would be inappropriate to mention that here?

Do those activities appear on AMCAS? If not then I think this would be a good place to put that info

If it does appear then I don’t think it’s necessary to mention that for this prompt

I only applied to Milwaukee and did not have this question pop up
To clarify with those who have received secondary, the question "Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community" shows up no matter what campus you choose?
Thanks and sorry for many questions :)

To clarify with those who have received secondary, the question "Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community" shows up no matter what campus you choose?

Ive received and submitted my secondary but only selected Milwaukee. I did not have that prompt

Milwaukee. I did not have that prompt.

The school definitely has a preference for IS all around, but a good amount of OOS matriculate at the Milwaukee campus. Typically, 50-60% of Milwaukee matriculants are IS. IS is especially favored at the 3-year-track regional campuses with 95% of those students IS.

Thank you! Do you know anything about getting in-state residency in Wisconsin? I know some states are living in-state one year before matriculation, and others are a year before application...

Thank you! Do you know anything about getting in-state residency in Wisconsin? I know some states are living in-state one year before matriculation, and others are a year before application...

I do know that by state law, the University of Wisconsin school of medicine looks at your place of residence within the year before matriculation, thus people claiming In State cannot submit their applications until exactly one year before matriculation if they were accepted (August 17th). I unfortunately cannot tell you more as I’ve been a resident near my entire life. On MCWs secondary there is a link to the residency form posted that must be submitted before starting med school there if you are claiming in state residency, perhaps that form has more info or you could reach out to the school.

I do know that by state law, the University of Wisconsin school of medicine looks at your place of residence within the year before matriculation, thus people claiming In State cannot submit their applications until exactly one year before matriculation if they were accepted (August 17th). I unfortunately cannot tell you more as I’ve been a resident near my entire life. On MCWs secondary there is a link to the residency form posted that must be submitted before starting med school there if you are claiming in state residency, perhaps that form has more info or you could reach out to the school.
You’re referring to Madison, this is MCW. I already submitted MCW but have to wait till mid-August for Madison.

Ok, thanks!

You’re referring to Madison, this is MCW. I already submitted MCW but have to wait till mid-August for Madison.
Do you live in Wisconsin already? I'm confused why you have to hold onto the Madison app.

Do you live in Wisconsin already? I'm confused why you have to hold onto the Madison app.
I'm a WI resident. You can't submit it as a WI resident until middle of August if you checked on an earlier page that you would like to be considered as a WI resident

is the Dean's Certification Form required to submit? I do not have any institutional action problem

A few questions if anyone knows:
Does that Green Bay campus also require quite a bit of travel to clinical sites? It looks like the central WI does.
Also, for the three-year curriculum, it looks like OBGYN/anesthesiology etc are options going forward into residency. But in one or two other places it mentions only primary care, psychiatry, and gen surgery. Does anyone know how it works?

A few questions if anyone knows:
Does that Green Bay campus also require quite a bit of travel to clinical sites? It looks like the central WI does.
Also, for the three-year curriculum, it looks like OBGYN/anesthesiology etc are options going forward into residency. But in one or two other places it mentions only primary care, psychiatry, and gen surgery. Does anyone know how it works?

I can attest for the residency question.

The 3-year program allows you to place in the ones you mentioned (PC, Psych, Gen surg). If you want to do anything else (EM, Anes, etc) you end up having to do a 4th year at the Milwaukee Campus.

I applied only to the Milwaukee campus because I'm OOS, and because I didn't want to limit myself just to primary care, psych, or general surgery even though I truly am interested in primary care and talk about that in the secondary. Plus I'd rather get a 4th year of medical education to further develop my skills and see more stuff and all that. But now I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot, especially since in addition to the "underserved" specialties, I checked off EM in their checklist thingy -will it make it seem like I'm disingenuous about primary care?

I applied only to the Milwaukee campus because I'm OOS, and because I didn't want to limit myself just to primary care, psych, or general surgery even though I truly am interested in primary care and talk about that in the secondary. Plus I'd rather get a 4th year of medical education to further develop my skills and see more stuff and all that. But now I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot, especially since in addition to the "underserved" specialties, I checked off EM in their checklist thingy -will it make it seem like I'm disingenuous about primary care?

You can have an interest in primary care specialities while also having an interest in other specialities

I wouldn’t worry about that

Reactions: 4 users
Also, would someone mind posting the exact wording of the COVID-19 prompt? Thanks!

Anyone else’s secondary application missing the CASPer results? I submitted secondary a few days ago but my CASPer score is missing although i sent it over a month ago...

Anyone else’s secondary application missing the CASPer results? I submitted secondary a few days ago but my CASPer score is missing although i sent it over a month ago...
I sent my ca$per scores to schools in May, submitted my MCW secondary on the 12th, and my scores are still missing from the MCW portal. I emailed admissions and they said: "Unfortunately we are currently experiencing a technical issue related to visibility, which is why the status of the CASPer test score is not accurately reflected on your portal at the moment. Our IT folks are working diligently to resolve this, and hope to have the issue fixed in the very near future. There is no action needed on your part. Thank you in advance for your patience!"

Reactions: 4 users
For the regret prompt, do you guys think it has to be about something in college, or do you think we could go back as far as high school? Also, is it a good idea to stay away from more taboo topics on this one?

For the regret prompt, do you guys think it has to be about something in college, or do you think we could go back as far as high school? Also, is it a good idea to stay away from more taboo topics on this one?
I would write about anything you can write passionately about.... Adcom would likely rather read a passionate piece about a regret from high school rather than a bland regret from college.

Is anyone else having trouble with the CASPer score? I took CASPer in may and the portal says not received.

Is anyone else having trouble with the CASPer score? I took CASPer in may and the portal says not received.
I took CASPer in late June and did not have any issues with it being received. It was available upon receiving my secondary application on 7/11.

I took CASPER June 28 and MCW hasn't received it, though all of my other CASPER schools have.

I took CASPER June 28 and MCW hasn't received it, though all of my other CASPER schools have.

I emailed MCW late last week and it’s an error on their end they are working to fix