2020-2021 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im trying to decide between on campus vs off campus housing. Can some of the current students give an average price for Vandy? Also will the Cost of attendance increase if we decide to live off campus (Since its prob more expensive)? Thanks!
I'm living off campus and it is absolutely doable financially. I took out SIGNIFICANTLY less than the amount HMS estimated that I would need and have not had any issues with cost of living (no parental support either). Most people in my year (M1s) are off campus due to Covid and having roommates drives down the cost significantly. There will be tradeoffs between cost and proximity to HMS, but that's a personal decision. My understanding is that Vandy prices will depend on the room you want but are generally less than $1000/month. Prices in Mission Hill, Fenway, Brookline near Coolidge Corner, etc. will be anywhere between $900 - $1500 per month depending on the building, # of roommates, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! If you feel comfortable, would those accepted please mention their stats? Thanks!

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! If you feel comfortable, would those accepted please mention their stats? Thanks!
Despite the high median gpa and mcat, HMS is one of those schools known for taking a holistic approach to applicants. Stats matter, but after a certain point, they really don’t. For example, I was accepted with <3.6 gpas but 520+ Mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite the high median gpa and mcat, HMS is one of those schools known for taking a holistic approach to applicants. Stats matter, but after a certain point, they really don’t. For example, I was accepted with <3.6 gpas but 520+ Mcat.
Echo what was said! I had a reverse situation where I had a high GPA (~3.9) but "low" MCAT (513). Based on what I have gathered from other admits and current students, HMS admissions seems to be very holistic.

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone is curios, this seems to be this year's match list according to the match list thread on the Med student forum.

Harvard Medical School

Internal Medicine

MGH (11)
BWH (9)
UCSF (4)
Duke (3)
Johns Hopkins (2)
UCLA (3)
NYU (2)
Northwestern
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Cedar-Sinai
U of Chicago
Stanford
Penn

General Surgery
Penn
MGH
Stanford
BIDMC (2)
NYU
U of Miami
UTSW

Anesthesiology
MGH (3)
Stanford (2)
BWH
U of Utah

Medicine Prelim
BWH

Orthopedic Surgery
HSS (2)
MGH (3)
Stanford
Mayo Clinic

Urology
BWH
U of Texas San Antonio
Michigan

Family Medicine
UCSF
Boston University
Greater Lawrence Family Health Center
Maine Medical Center
OHSU

Dermatology
MGH (4)
Duke
Stanford
Northwestern
U of Miami
Penn
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
NYU
Boston University

Emergency Medicine
BIDMC
MGH
John Hopkins
Alameda Health Systems-Highland Hospital
Michigan
Western Michigan University
University of Cincinnati Medical Center
Emory
Riverside Community Hospital
Boston University
Ohio State (2)
Madigan Army Medical Center

Ophthalmology
Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary (2)
Columbia
Wills Eye Hospital Residency at Jefferson
UCSF

OB/GYN
BWH (2)
OHSU
BIDMC
Yale
UCSF
Naval Medical Center

Otolaryngology
Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary (3)
Vanderbilt
NYU
NYP - Columbia & Cornell

Pediatrics
Boston Children's Hospital (6)
Rush University Medical Center
CHOP
ISMMS Mount Sinai
UCSF

Neurosurgery
USC

Neurology
UCSF
Penn
Michigan

Radiation Oncology
MGH (2)
Memorial Sloan-Kettering (2)
Duke

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
MGH (2)

Psychiatry
BWH (2)
Cambridge Health Alliance (2)
UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience

Psychiatry-Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins

Medicine-Primary
UCLA
UCSF
BWH (2)
MGH

Plastic Surgery
BWH
U of Washington

Medicine-Pediatrics
Duke
Yale

Pathology
John Hopkins

Thoracic Surgery
Northwestern

Radiology
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
BWH

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the reply! Do you mind me asking if you were a grad student when you applied? thanks!

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?

Haven't received my FA award yet, but from some people I've talked to it seems that they expect their parents to contribute even when they makes less than 100k? Hopefully we can negotiate/adjust a little.

I haven’t gotten my package yet and I’m starting to lose hope lol
Me neither, I imagine they send them as they finalize them. It seems, though, that some people are getting lower packages than they expected, which is a little disappointing when you compare it to the FA/scholarships awarded by equally prestigious institutions.

Last edited:
I am applying in 2022, but I wanted to ask if any UC Riverside undergrads got into HMS? I was surprised to see riverside community hospital on the match list so that's why I'm asking. For those who don't know, UCR is a low tier school in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying in 2022, but I wanted to ask if any UC Riverside undergrads got into HMS? I was surprised to see riverside community hospital on the match list so that's why I'm asking. For those who don't know, UCR is a low tier school in CA.
Don’t think anyone’s undergrad affects their chances.. if anything better to stick out from a small pond. Sure, plenty of HYP, Stanford, Columbia, etc folks who were accepted, but I think overall like 80 undergrad schools have students who were accepted this cycle

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted from a pretty much unknown state school. Do well and try your best!

• Love
thanks for replying! What do you think got you accepted to HMS?
I know this isn’t addressed to me - but First and foremost do things you are passionate about. Branch out from your college campus to positively influence your community in some way. Plenty of opportunities to do good outside the college bubble.

thanks for replying! What do you think got you accepted to HMS?
Pretty much what @Mr.Blackdoc.5 said. I was very passionate about a select number of activities and I crafted a cohesive narrative that highlighted them on my application.

• Love
I personally know someone who was accepted to HMS from UCR! He took a few gap years before applying and ended up choosing UCLA with a Geffen Scholarship, that's all I'll say about him to protect his identity but I think if you network with UCR med. alum you'd be able to find him. He's a really nice guy and is equally passionate about giving back to the IE. GOOD LUCK!

• Wow
I personally know someone who was accepted to HMS from UCR! He took a few gap years before applying and ended up choosing UCLA with a Geffen Scholarship, that's all I'll say about him to protect his identity but I think if you network with UCR med. alum you'd be able to find him. He's a really nice guy and is equally passionate about giving back to the IE. GOOD LUCK!
I might end up doing what your friend did. The financial aid award I got from Harvard was not what I expected (in a bad way).

I might end up doing what your friend did. The financial aid award I got from Harvard was not what I expected (in a bad way).
He had really strong ties to CA and his dilemma was mostly HARVARD because it’s Harvard or UCLA which ended up being most practical. He’s really happy with his choice though so either way you’ll end up in a great spot. Congrats on those options :)

this is so cool, I genuinely thought UCR grads had a hard time even being accepted to low teir med schools. Thanks for letting me know, could I pm you asking you what he did during his gap years? I was planning to take one but maybe I should take more.

Hello! Congrats to everyone accepted and those on the WL! I was wondering, when should we expect WL movement if there is any?

Hello! Congrats to everyone accepted and those on the WL! I was wondering, when should we expect WL movement if there is any?
In the email they sent when they waitlisted us, it said in the FAQ at the bottom, “There are roughly fifty candidates on the Pathways waitlist and thirty candidates on the HST waitlist. The number of candidates admitted from the waitlist varies from year to year depending on the number of declines and deferrals received from the original pool of admitted candidates. While we initially extend offers of admission to more candidates than we can accommodate in the incoming class, we fully expect to be making offers to waitlisted candidates in May and early June.”

:)

Anyone in the last days of making a decision ... reach out if you have any questions about first year at HMS or anything about your decision!

Withdrew from the pathways waitlist because I got into my dream school!! Wishing the best of luck to everyone 😊

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
JUST GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!😭😭😭
8:30 CST

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got off the waitlist for pathways as well. For those still waiting.

• Love
just got off waitlist @ my dream school. Withdrawing from pathways WL - good luck everyone :)

is the primary submission the earlier the better? Is mid of June too late?

is the primary submission the earlier the better? Is mid of June too late?
HMS is one of the few schools that truly has non-rolling admissions.
Regarding other schools in general, mid June is just fine, the rate limiting step is secondaries which you can prewrite as you await during verification

Quick question about Harvard. Is the secondary the same price if we choose to apply to Pathways, HST, or both?