2020-2021 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CONGRATS ALLLLLL WOOHOOOO REACH OUT WITH ANY QUESTIONS!!!! y'all are amazing

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Pathways! The email notification literally woke me up! Best way to wake up! Only interviewed for Pathways.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Accepted to Pathways! The email notification literally woke me up! Best way to wake up! Only interviewed for Pathways.
Congrats! did you interview for HST also?

Accepted pathways! Best of luck to everyone else. To those waitlisted or R, you are amazing and I am wishing you the best!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Lmao well time to plan for a gap year and a reapp. Congrats to all with As. You guys are stellar.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
IT'S OVER. IM IN BABY. HELL YES.

• Love
Accepted Pathways! I haven’t been able to stop crying. 😭😭

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GOT IN TO PATHWAYSSSSS!!! MY DREAM SCHOOOL I AM CRYINGGG!!!

momma we made it!!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
If we haven’t gotten a notification yet does that mean we likely got an R or WL?

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone been accepted to MSTP yet? Haven't gotten any email and slowly accepting that's probably an R, but trying to see if there's any hope

I've still heard nothing. Only applied for Pathways. Braced for the R. <3 to you all, and congrats to those who got in!!

Reactions: 2 users
HST WL and Pathways R. Congrats to everyone that copped the A! Email received at 10:13AM

• Care
Was it one mass email sent out?? Are they sending R and A and WL all at the same time??

• Hmm
ACCEPTED IM SHAKING! First generation Latina this is surreal!!!!🥳🥳🥳

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Accepted into both HST and Pathways OMGGGGG!!! I sat down and cried for a solid 5 minutes

• Love
Got the R, assuming everyone else did too, 10:30am for posterity, best of luck to all! You'll be brilliant wherever you go, enjoyed this SDN thread heavily lmao

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Post II R, best of luck to everyone else

• Care
So I've seen As, WLs, and Rs... Anyone else still have total silence?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Also a fellow M1 and happy to answer questions. I'm copy pasting a helpful description that @boneitis posted in last year's thread:

"First Year
During M1, the grading scale is pass/fail. There is no pre-determined pass threshold. They told us that if we were getting at or above 70% cumulative for a block that we would be fine. If for whatever reason, we had a lower grade, they would take into consideration other things such as attendance, participation, subjective evals by faculty. In reality, I had friends who scored around 50% in some blocks but never needed to remediate. If remediation is required, you are offered an opportunity to retake an exam rather than remediate the entire block or year, like other schools. There is, allegedly, no mention of remediation on your transcript, unlike other schools. There are also OSCEs that take place throughout all four years, with an emphasis during first-year. At other schools, the OSCEs are part of your overall grade. At HMS, they are not graded. And most importantly, there is no internal ranking. I have friends who went to pass/fail schools only to find out that they were still ranked, completely defeating the purpose of a pass/fail curriculum.

Second Year
The bulk of the second-year is the "principle clinical experience." This consists of our core rotations in medicine (12 weeks), surgery (12 weeks), peds (6 weeks), ob/gyn (6 weeks), psychiatry (4 weeks), neurology (4 weeks), radiology (4 weeks), and a year-long primary care rotation that takes place one afternoon every 2 weeks. At many other schools, these clerkships are graded on an "honors/high pass/pass/fail" scale. Other schools also have AOA (HMS doesn't), which requires you to reach around the 90th percentile on shelf exams to honor a rotation. At HMS, we are only required to get above the bottom 5th percentile (or 10th percentile for medicine and surgery) on the shelf exams to pass (this translates to around a 60% raw score). The shelf scores are not part of our grade and they are not reported on our transcripts. If for whatever, you fail a shelf, you have multiple opportunities to retake it without failing the rotation.

Third/Fourth Year
At the beginning of third-year, we sit for Step 1. We are allowed to take upwards of 3 months off for dedicated, yet it seems that most of my classmates took less than 10 weeks. After that, we do a mix of clinical electives, advanced science courses, and dedicated research time for a scholarly project. We are required to do a mandatory 4-week sub-i in medicine at a different hospital than your medicine rotation. We are required to do two 4-week AISC classes, which are just advanced basic science courses, most have a clinical component to them. We have a 4-week global health/social medicine course that is an extension from a first-year class. We do a 4-week clinical capstone class and then we are given around 3 months of dedicated research time for our mandatory scholarly project. During these years, the grading scale moves to "honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail." What is great about this is that we don't have AOA, so there really is no "honors." At other schools, only the top percentiles of students are eligible for honors. At HMS, literally every student could get an "honors with distinction" on a rotation. The best part out of all of this: grades aren't reported to residency programs. Hated your neurology rotation? Unless you are applying to neurology, the grade and evals won't be given to programs. When we apply, we get something called a DSA, which only includes the grades and evals for the specialties that are relevant to what we are applying to. For example, if I wanted to apply to neurosurgery, the only grades that are reported are medicine (reported for everyone), general surgery, and any neurosurgery elective I did. I can't tell you how much stress this grading system removes from the process."

Reactions: 4 users
Post-II R. Congratulations to everyone accepted -- what a remarkable achievement! :)

• Care
I'm copy pasting a helpful description that @boneitis posted in last year's thread:

"First Year
During M1, the grading scale is pass/fail. There is no pre-determined pass threshold. They told us that if we were getting at or above 70% cumulative for a block that we would be fine. If for whatever reason, we had a lower grade, they would take into consideration other things such as attendance, participation, subjective evals by faculty. In reality, I had friends who scored around 50% in some blocks but never needed to remediate. If remediation is required, you are offered an opportunity to retake an exam rather than remediate the entire block or year, like other schools. There is, allegedly, no mention of remediation on your transcript, unlike other schools. There are also OSCEs that take place throughout all four years, with an emphasis during first-year. At other schools, the OSCEs are part of your overall grade. At HMS, they are not graded. And most importantly, there is no internal ranking. I have friends who went to pass/fail schools only to find out that they were still ranked, completely defeating the purpose of a pass/fail curriculum.

Second Year
The bulk of the second-year is the "principle clinical experience." This consists of our core rotations in medicine (12 weeks), surgery (12 weeks), peds (6 weeks), ob/gyn (6 weeks), psychiatry (4 weeks), neurology (4 weeks), radiology (4 weeks), and a year-long primary care rotation that takes place one afternoon every 2 weeks. At many other schools, these clerkships are graded on an "honors/high pass/pass/fail" scale. Other schools also have AOA (HMS doesn't), which requires you to reach around the 90th percentile on shelf exams to honor a rotation. At HMS, we are only required to get above the bottom 5th percentile (or 10th percentile for medicine and surgery) on the shelf exams to pass (this translates to around a 60% raw score). The shelf scores are not part of our grade and they are not reported on our transcripts. If for whatever, you fail a shelf, you have multiple opportunities to retake it without failing the rotation.

Third/Fourth Year
At the beginning of third-year, we sit for Step 1. We are allowed to take upwards of 3 months off for dedicated, yet it seems that most of my classmates took less than 10 weeks. After that, we do a mix of clinical electives, advanced science courses, and dedicated research time for a scholarly project. We are required to do a mandatory 4-week sub-i in medicine at a different hospital than your medicine rotation. We are required to do two 4-week AISC classes, which are just advanced basic science courses, most have a clinical component to them. We have a 4-week global health/social medicine course that is an extension from a first-year class. We do a 4-week clinical capstone class and then we are given around 3 months of dedicated research time for our mandatory scholarly project. During these years, the grading scale moves to "honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail." What is great about this is that we don't have AOA, so there really is no "honors." At other schools, only the top percentiles of students are eligible for honors. At HMS, literally every student could get an "honors with distinction" on a rotation. The best part out of all of this: grades aren't reported to residency programs. Hated your neurology rotation? Unless you are applying to neurology, the grade and evals won't be given to programs. When we apply, we get something called a DSA, which only includes the grades and evals for the specialties that are relevant to what we are applying to. For example, if I wanted to apply to neurosurgery, the only grades that are reported are medicine (reported for everyone), general surgery, and any neurosurgery elective I did. I can't tell you how much stress this grading system removes from the process."
Congrats, all — just a note here — this is only a description of pathways, not the HST curriculum, but if you were admitted to HST and are trying to decide between HMS and somewhere else or HST and pathways, you will get MORE than enough info about it during revisit. Don't worry! If after revisit you're still unsure, I'd be happy to talk — I made the choice last year, but there's really no reason to worry about it until you've actually heard from HMS what the difference is :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Also a post II R; happy to have interviewed and I know great things are in store for all of us! Once again, congrats to those who were accepted!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted HST and Pathways, WL for MSTP!! I honestly can’t believe this is real!

• Love
Congrats again to all of you who have received an A today! I can’t wait to see you in the fall! Also, those who didn’t get an A — keep your heads up! You are all going to be amazing doctors!

Just curious, how many other international students got an A today? Would love to connect!

got the R but got the A from my dream school right after so it's been a roller coaster! still a little sad I missed out on this one bc I really fell in love w the program after interviewing but congrats you all <3

• Care