2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently interviewed here as well and we were told that they intentionally have not sent out any acceptances yet because they want to give late applicants (usually disadvantaged/ 1st Gen students) a fair shot. I really respect them for taking these things into consideration. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I recently interviewed here as well and we were told that they intentionally have not sent out any acceptances yet because they want to give late applicants (usually disadvantaged/ 1st Gen students) a fair shot. I really respect them for taking these things into consideration. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the insight. That definitely is very respectable. Sam Houston has been very impressive.

Reactions: 3 users
PREMATCH!!! Interviewed 10/9!!! Congrats to all!! So EXCITED to be staying in texas :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an A. Interviewed on 10/9

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
So what do you see on the portal exactly that lets you know you got in?

If we didn't receive a prematch offer, does that mean we have no chance of getting in to SHSU? I interviewed on 9/25 so could I still receive a prematch offer at a later date (if they still send more out after today)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So what do you see on the portal exactly that lets you know you got in?

A new side tab shows up titled “admissions status”

If we didn't receive a prematch offer, does that mean we have no chance of getting in to SHSU? I interviewed on 9/25 so could I still receive a prematch offer at a later date (if they still send more out after today)?

I believe pre match extends until Dec 15th (someone fact check me please). Then rolling admissions start Feb 1st. So you still have a chance!

You could still get pre-match offers by January 31 (extended COVID-19 date).
Even if you have no pre-matches, rank all the schools where you have interviewed when it's time to submit your rank for the Match.
People with no pre-matches are the majority and can still come out with a match.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prematched! Congrats to all who have and for those who haven’t, don’t beat yourself up. There is still plenty of time.

Now, let’s say I accept the offer, does that mean I can’t get acceptances from other schools I’m waiting to hear back from?

Prematched! Congrats to all who have and for those who haven’t, don’t beat yourself up. There is still plenty of time.

Now, let’s say I accept the offer, does that mean I can’t get acceptances from other schools I’m waiting to hear back from?
Prematch is non-binding! You can accept as many prematches as you want :)

Last edited:
Will SHSUCOM send R's to anyone who didn't prematch post interview?

Will SHSUCOM send R's to anyone who didn't prematch post interview?
No. You may be ranked very low and not match, but the first time an in-state student is going to be rejected is after the match.

Prematched yesterday :)
LM: 69 515 MCAT
Secondary submitted on 6/17
Second A. As a nontraditional reapplicant, I feel so incredibly grateful.

Prematched yesterday :)
LM: 69 515 MCAT
Secondary submitted on 6/17
Second A. As a nontraditional reapplicant, I feel so incredibly grateful.
Damn! Congrats!!! Do you think you'll end up choosing SHCOM? With those stats, I'm sure you'll have plenty of offers

You could still get pre-match offers by January 31 (extended COVID-19 date).
Even if you have no pre-matches, rank all the schools where you have interviewed when it's time to submit your rank for the Match.
People with no pre-matches are the majority and can still come out with a match.
I interviewed on the first date, 9/25, so if I didn't receive a prematch offer yesterday does that mean that I probably will not be offered a prematch offer since they will probably be sending them to the people who interview at later dates? Will I just have to wait until match day in May to find out?

I interviewed on the first date, 9/25, so if I didn't receive a prematch offer yesterday does that mean that I probably will not be offered a prematch offer since they will probably be sending them to the people who interview at later dates? Will I just have to wait until match day in May to find out?
Maybe you will have to wait a bit longer, but Match Day is March 5, 2020.

Damn! Congrats!!! Do you think you'll end up choosing SHCOM? With those stats, I'm sure you'll have plenty of offers
So, I did accept the offer. Basically, for now, I believe that it is best to accept all offers to keep my options open.
However, for a couple reasons, I do think I will go with my other acceptance.
I do really like SHSU and Conroe. However, I do think I will choose a more established school with a rather significantly lower tuition if I am reading the websites right. It looks to me that the annual rate for tuition and fees for SHSU is $55,000, while my other school for tuition and fees would be $20,770.
So, unless I am mistaken on the cost or I get offered a fantastic scholarship, I doubt I will choose SHCOM.

So, I did accept the offer. Basically, for now, I believe that it is best to accept all offers to keep my options open.
However, for a couple reasons, I do think I will go with my other acceptance.
I do really like SHSU and Conroe. However, I do think I will choose a more established school with a rather significantly lower tuition if I am reading the websites right. It looks to me that the annual rate for tuition and fees for SHSU is $55,000, while my other school for tuition and fees would be $20,770.
So, unless I am mistaken on the cost or I get offered a fantastic scholarship, I doubt I will choose SHCOM.
If you have been accepted to a school you would rather go to, why not release / withdrawal your pre-match offer for another student? I completely understand your reasoning on choosing the alternative acceptance.

If you have been accepted to a school you would rather go to, why not release / withdrawal your pre-match offer for another student? I completely understand your reasoning on choosing the alternative acceptance.
I understand this desire, but that's the purpose of the match. Those superstars with more than one TMDSAS acceptance will be dropped from all but their favorite on match day, while those who only have 1 school will have a shot to get into said school. After that, there are still waitlists and lots of movement also happens there. If OP isn't ready to let go, that's okay. You'll still get your chance.

I understand this desire, but that's the purpose of the match. Those superstars with more than one TMDSAS acceptance will be dropped from all but their favorite on match day, while those who only have 1 school will have a shot to get into said school. After that, there are still waitlists and lots of movement also happens there. If OP isn't ready to let go, that's okay. You'll still get your chance.
But don't you have to pay the deposit if you prematch? For each one you accept?

Only the DO schools and 1 or 2 of the TX MD schools ask for a deposit.

A person with more than one pre-match offer at this point is allowed to take their time and decide. They are not required to withdraw.
The TMDSAS Match will do the narrowing down for you, and anyone who has interviewed at a school and ranks it for the Match has a chance to come out the other side of the match with an acceptance.

The only time in our TMDSAS timeline that you are urged to narrow things down is if you get more waitlist offers after Match Day, and then you are asked to get it narrowed down to one school by April 30.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither of my schools required any deposit. I just want to hold off on deciding definitively right now in case a scholarship arises or something else happens that may affect my decision. Also, my other school hasn’t updated on my TMDSAS prematch page. While my status says accepted in their portal, I like having the comfort of something in the TMDSAS page. Needless paranoia probably, but there is always that lingering fear that something may go wrong...

Neither of my schools required any deposit. I just want to hold off on deciding definitively right now in case a scholarship arises or something else happens that may affect my decision. Also, my other school hasn’t updated on my TMDSAS prematch page. While my status says accepted in their portal, I like having the comfort of something in the TMDSAS page. Needless paranoia probably, but there is always that lingering fear that something may go wrong...
FYI, that fear doesn't go away after it says something on TMDSAS. I still feel like the bottom will drop out on my prematch despite paying the deposit that wasn't due until May!

Reactions: 1 users
Yea SHSU doesn’t require any deposit (was so happy when I saw it!) cause some DO schools have really expensive deposits

I just canceled my interview scheduled for 12/4, hope one of you guys gets it!! Good luck!!!

Prematch just now! Interviewed 9/25, ORM, IS, LM70

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I'm starting to doubt myself that I'll be able to get a prematch from SHSU 🥺

I'm starting to doubt myself that I'll be able to get a prematch from SHSU 🥺
Just remember match day will be some serious movement. Many with prematches here will match elsewhere, freeing up spots. Then more movement could come later with wait lists. There's LOTS of cycle left!

Does anyone know how many interviews this school will do and how many may have already been done? Thanks.

Does anyone know how many interviews this school will do and how many may have already been done? Thanks.
they said they interview over 1000 interviewees. From what I saw on my interview day, they interview around 75 applicants a day and there has been 5 interview days so far. Next one is next Friday. So, they have interviewed around 375-400 applicants more or less? I think they've scheduled December and January interviews, but im sure not all of them are filled up yet (maybe the December slots are filled up, but January most likely not). This could all change though I think they said, but they did say over 1000 get interviewed.

I have not had to use zoom for any reason this year, so how does the group activities work? this is my top choice school because it is very close to home and I want to perform my best.
They have a couple of guidelines and tips for using Zoom on their portal, but here are some of my tips:

-upload a professional pic as your profile pic
-make sure you have good lighting and your computer camera is at eye level
-clear your background as best as you can
-be vigilant of your mic and video button. Mute it during presentations, unmute when your interview starts (bottom left corner)

For your group activity you will enter a zoom meeting room with everyone, then they will put you in breakout rooms to discuss a scenario, then you will be placed back into the main room to discuss/present.

I have not had to use zoom for any reason this year, so how does the group activities work? this is my top choice school because it is very close to home and I want to perform my best.
Personally, I’m introverted & I tend to not be the loudest or talkative in the room so I thought I did horrible in the group activity because of that, but I think they really just tend to look at the quality of your contribution rather than if you’re the one constantly talking or something. Really, just show your personality!! Goodluck! :)

Personally, I’m introverted & I tend to not be the loudest or talkative in the room so I thought I did horrible in the group activity because of that, but I think they really just tend to look at the quality of your contribution rather than if you’re the one constantly talking or something. Really, just show your personality!! Goodluck! :)
This got me wondering, for those of you who prematched, how well (or bad) did you think you did on your interviews and group activity?

This got me wondering, for those of you who prematched, how well (or bad) did you think you did on your interviews and group activity?
interviews itself (for me): I felt I did really great. My interviewers seemed really invested in what I was saying and some even made conversation based off my answers.
Group: as I said, thought I did horrible (so was surprised at my prematch) cause everyone was trying to take control & I contributed my thoughts but not nearly as much as them. I did make it a point to agree and be involved (like nodding or saying I agreed/disagreed) and expanded on my answers. You don’t always have to be the leader to make a meaningful contribution. Hope that helps!

I'm interviewing on 12/11. Does anyone know if they plan on extending any more pre match offers prior to the new year?

Does Sam Houston accept updates from applicants? I'm technically out of state but I have lived and work in Texas. I've been here for 6 months.