2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Sam Houston accept updates from applicants? I'm technically out of state but I have lived and work in Texas. I've been here for 6 months.
No they don't. I tried.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting for a friend who doesn't have SDN:

Did anyone have technical difficulties during their interview? At one point my interviewer started typing the questions and I had to read them and answer them.

Did anyone have technical difficulties during their interview? At one point my interviewer started typing the questions and I had to read them and answer them.
One of my interviews started 5-10 min late because one of my interviewers had poor connection. We had to switch to Zoom before starting. I haven't pre-matched so this might not be very helpful to you given that I don't know if it impacted me negatively but I figured it might make you feel a little better knowing you aren't the only one lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

They mentioned they would be willing to consider make-up interviews for technical difficulties. This may be an opportunity for you to explore if you believe the technical difficulties impacted your interview!

Overall, loved my interview experience and think SHSU COM did a fantastic job setting up this virtual interview day!

Do yall think its a bad idea to email the adcoms and ask them about our application status post interview?

Personally, I dont want to come out as impatient to them which is why I'm hesitant to contact them. However I interviewed in Oct, and not hearing back from them for 2 months has made me really anxious.

Should I assume they rejected me?

Do yall think its a bad idea to email the adcoms and ask them about our application status post interview?

Personally, I dont want to come out as impatient to them which is why I'm hesitant to contact them. However I interviewed in Oct, and not hearing back from them for 2 months has made me really anxious.

Should I assume they rejected me?
Personally, I think its never good to ask your status post-interview. They would most likely just say "its in review & will update you if any changes have been made". Pre-match is not match. Pre-match is basically an early acceptance & if you dont pre-match it doesnt mean you won't match. There is a very good chance you will match. A lot of people who pre-match will drop their seat (by ranking another school higher or declining the prematch) and allow for signficant movement on match day. I know its a horrible wait until march, but keep in mind they can still send out pre-matches until Jan 31st! Hope that calms your anxiety some!! Keep in mind most people get their first acceptance on match day!! They dont reject anyone (usually) until after match day. Manifesting an A for you!!

Reactions: 6 users
Personally, I think its never good to ask your status post-interview. They would most likely just say "its in review & will update you if any changes have been made". Pre-match is not match. Pre-match is basically an early acceptance & if you dont pre-match it doesnt mean you won't match. There is a very good chance you will match. A lot of people who pre-match will drop their seat (by ranking another school higher or declining the prematch) and allow for signficant movement on match day. I know its a horrible wait until march, but keep in mind they can still send out pre-matches until Jan 31st! Hope that calms your anxiety some!! Keep in mind most people get their first acceptance on match day!! They dont reject anyone (usually) until after match day. Manifesting an A for you!!
Thank you for providing me with some reassurance! The waiting part really really sucks because I'm not sure when I should gear up for reapplication (retake MCAT, gain additional clinical hours, etc) i don't want to spend the time and energy preparing for next cycle, only to find out i matched in March.

• Care
This answer brings calm to my nerves. Thank you 💗

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Prematched just now! Interviewed 12/04* (i accidentally put the wrong date)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Kinda bummed, I interviewed last cycle and was waitlisted. Still have not gotten an interview invite this cycle. I thought it would be much different! Congrats to all of those with acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda bummed, I interviewed last cycle and was waitlisted. Still have not gotten an interview invite this cycle. I thought it would be much different! Congrats to all of those with acceptances!

Have you heard back from other schools?

Yes! I’ve been accepted to 2, but I would love to be in Texas! I have a lot of family out here, and I even moved here during the pandemic!

Has anyone interviewing tomorrow 12/11 received the group assignment yet? Not sure if I'm looking in the right spot. Said we'd get it Thursday and haven't received anything.

Has anyone interviewing tomorrow 12/11 received the group assignment yet? Not sure if I'm looking in the right spot. Said we'd get it Thursday and haven't received anything.
I interviewed in Oct, and for me they didn't give us the group assignment before hand. You find out during your group assignment time.

Reactions: 1 user
Not interviewing tomorrow, but your group assignment should be in an email titled "Virtual Interview Day Details and Resources"

One of my interviews started 5-10 min late because one of my interviewers had poor connection. We had to switch to Zoom before starting. I haven't pre-matched so this might not be very helpful to you given that I don't know if it impacted me negatively but I figured it might make you feel a little better knowing you aren't the only one lol
Just finished interviewing, and unfortunately also had technical difficulties with the interview part. First interview started 15 mins late had to switch to zoom. Second interview, interviewers had to start typing questions because I wasn't able to understand them. I just really wonder if this makes a huge difference when considering me

I really doubt it will affect their consideration much. My question is to those of you who interviewed and have 1 or more acceptances elsewhere, have you ever mentioned this during the interview? To explain why you would prefer SHSU over the other(s) for various reasons such as school size, state, mission ect. ?? Letting them know you have already qualified elsewhere but really consider SHSU your top choice, or is this not a good strategy.?

I really doubt it will affect their consideration much. My question is to those of you who interviewed and have 1 or more acceptances elsewhere, have you ever mentioned this during the interview? To explain why you would prefer SHSU over the other(s) for various reasons such as school size, state, mission ect. ?? Letting them know you have already qualified elsewhere but really consider SHSU your top choice, or is this not a good strategy.?
I didn't interview with an A on hand at the time, but this question keeps popping up and my mentor on an adcom definitely got frustrated with it when she was conducting interviews at our school (not SHSUCOM) this semester. I think you're more than capable of explaining your preference for SHSU without mentioning other schools, especially other acceptances. As far as they're concerned, they already know you're qualified because they chose you for an interview so just continue proving to them "why" SHSU not "why not" school X (plus, your interviewer very well could've gone to/worked at/know people at school X and take offense to any implication that school X has whatever deficiencies you allude to in your answer if you don't word it correctly).

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't interview with an A on hand at the time, but this question keeps popping up and my mentor on an adcom definitely got frustrated with it when she was conducting interviews at our school (not SHSUCOM) this semester. I think you're more than capable of explaining your preference for SHSU without mentioning other schools, especially other acceptances. As far as they're concerned, they already know you're qualified because they chose you for an interview so just continue proving to them "why" SHSU not "why not" school X (plus, your interviewer very well could've gone to/worked at/know people at school X and take offense to any implication that school X has whatever deficiencies you allude to in your answer if you don't word it correctly).
Great advice. I’ll take it !

Just got an email about their upcoming virtual student panel.

Hopefully this means that they haven't formally rejected me yet since they still have my contacts hahah

Just got an email about their upcoming virtual student panel.

Hopefully this means that they haven't formally rejected me yet since they still have my contacts hahah
Those hours don't work with my work schedule :/ so hopefully they don't hold it against me for not going.

Reactions: 1 users
to my 12/11 interview peeps y’all think we’ll hear back this week?

II, complete late september! Interview dates start in mid-January

Reactions: 5 users
Just got rejected pre-II. Good luck to everyone else.

• Care
Acceptance just now! Interviewed 12/11!

Reactions: 9 users
ii yesterday ! was complete around late September, LizzyM 65 urm

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone go to the student panel earlier this morning? How was it? Anything I need to do to prepare?

Did anyone go to the student panel earlier this morning? How was it? Anything I need to do to prepare?
Probably think of questions to ask? It's only if you want to know more about the school. Not really that helpful aside from getting a students perspective of the school.

Hey guys, does anyone know when we have to accept or deny the offer of admission through the portal by? Also just to make sure, it isn't binding, correct?

Last edited:
does shsucom do silent rejections or do they let you know post-interview that you haven't been accepted. interviewed 12/4 and i've heard of people hearing back within the week but i haven't heard anything yet. keeping fingers crossed though!

does shsucom do silent rejections or do they let you know post-interview that you haven't been accepted. interviewed 12/4 and i've heard of people hearing back within the week but i haven't heard anything yet. keeping fingers crossed though!
As with most TMDSAS schools, you most likely won't get rejected until after Match Day if you've Interviewed (if you are in-state of course in order to participate in the Match). Match Day fills every seat in all the schools and then the waitlist begins after. If you are chosen to be on the WL, they will let you know after Match Day. Right now we are in pre-match period (early acceptance basically). If you don't pre-match it doesnt mean you cant match, as multiple people can hold many offers and Match Day clears all that up by only letting everyone have one acceptance to fill all seats. TMDSAS has all this info laid out on their website as well.

Reactions: 4 users
As with most TMDSAS schools, you most likely won't get rejected until after Match Day if you've Interviewed (if you are in-state of course in order to participate in the Match). Match Day fills every seat in all the schools and then the waitlist begins after. If you are chosen to be on the WL, they will let you know after Match Day. Right now we are in pre-match period (early acceptance basically). If you don't pre-match it doesnt mean you cant match, as multiple people can hold many offers and Match Day clears all that up by only letting everyone have one acceptance to fill all seats. TMDSAS has all this info laid out on their website as well.
thank you for your response! does this mean that they are only doing pre-matches right now and i won't be hearing anything between now and match day, or could i still hear back, whether it be an A or R?

thank you for your response! does this mean that they are only doing pre-matches right now and i won't be hearing anything between now and match day, or could i still hear back, whether it be an A or R?
You could hear back if you pre-match, but it's more likely you'll find out on match day

Did anyone get one of the student panelist's email from the info session last week?