2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These articles have the numbers I think, but I don't know how they arrived at them.

I've had exposure to industry and understand its allure and have many friends in finance, VC, tech, consulting, etc. I get it. But I left it to apply to medical school, and so seeing applicants post Going to Venture Capital, Consulting, or Pharma after med school? just reminds me that the culture of silicon valley pervades everything there, including its medical schools and students. If you're into that kind of thing like I was, it can be great. But if you're not, it's a good thing to know going in.

Very relevant and matches what I've heard of Stanford Medical School. And culture is definitely a good thing to know for prospective students, that's what a school discussion thread is about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m actually glad this discussion occurred, although the tone was a bit hostile. These articles were eye opening, I didn’t realize that only 65% of students actually applied to residencies. I do think the term “dropout docs” throughout the articles is a bit demeaning for people who graduated with a MD.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m actually glad this discussion occurred, although the tone was a bit hostile. These articles were eye opening, I didn’t realize that only 65% of students actually applied to residencies. I do think the term “dropout docs” throughout the articles is a bit demeaning for people who graduated with a MD.

The reason I didn't cite 65% is that I heard that number is off (e.g. it *might* only account for 4 year students when Stanford is known to have a lot of research years). Still, the stereotype is that a lot of students are lured into tech/business. I also think the dropout might refer to people who drop out of the program and do not get an MD, which is not uncommon.

I apologize for the tone, but I'm familiar with the Bay Area and the industry and do not have great opinions of it. That on top of the other condescending posts I've seen from hellokittens (I was there through it all, I know I'm not the only one) just irked me.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got waitlisted ☹️. Interviewed 1/13
Anyone know how many people they generally take from the waitlist?

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
For those accepted, do we need to submit a deposit or the acknowledgement is all we need to for now?
No deposit yet. Just have to acknowledge acceptance within 2 weeks of receiving it or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know about the likelihood for deferring matriculation for professional pursuit (not academic fellowship)? Stanford's website makes it sound like they're more warm to it than other schools which only consider "extraordinary circumstances".

Members don't see this ad :)
Any late Jan interviewees still waiting to hear back?

Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but they keep tossing around the phrase "debt-free" and it's hard not to have high hopes

Oof I definitely misheard then. Will PSTP applicants receive an MD decision before then?
from my understanding of the pstp info session, being accepted to MD means you're automatically in the pstp program too (given that you interviewed as pstp). i might be mistaken, but i hope that makes sense?

Reactions: 1 user
WL applicants, is it worth it to send updates or do they not matter anymore since the "two week" post interview time frame has passed?

Reactions: 1 users
1/27 interviewee here. My MedAdmit portal just updated this morning to finally remove the Candidate Update option. So I would guess that means an initial post-interview decision has been made, but who knows. Perhaps some January results are being released today/soon? Good luck y'all!

I'm getting REALLY impatient for these MSTP decisions y'all.................................. I just want this cycle to be over pls, thx so much

• Care
like this if you’ve been admitted MD but are still waiting for the MSTP?

Reactions: 4 users
can anyone speak to the amount of aid Stanford gives to middle class families? browsing thru forums seems to show that the median indebtedness is because richer families offset the debt.

PSTP interview 2/9, got the A call today at 2:50pm PST!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
In calculating financial aid, does anyone know if Stanford Med financial aid takes into account whether a student owns their primary residence / has equity in it / etc.?
I think so, their financial aid application is super invasive. They use the FAFSA, CSS profile, and a Stanford-specific supplemental financial questionnaire. I can't open them back up to look for sure, but I want to say you get asked about any assets, cars you've owned, debt you have, property, investments, siblings, parents W2s, etc. Maybe you could look at the CSS website to see what they ask about.

Has anyone that interviewed on Jan 22 been accepted yet?

Does anyone know if they have given out all their PSTP acceptances or if more are coming? It feels like they have only given out a few but it’s hard to tell

Just got the A call! Overwhelmingly honored and excited. 1/27 MD only interviewee

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
OMG YAY CONGRATS FUTURE CLASSMATES! Dr. Gibbs called me too! But I haven't received the email yet confirming the acceptance

Has anyone who's been accepted to MD heard anything from MSTP yet?

2 quick questions for anyone who already finished the financial aid application process - Is there any deadline for completing FA apps? Also, I know we need to do the FAFSA and CSS, and a questionnaire, and there's a place to upload parent W2 and tax returns. Once we're done with this, is there some sort of notification letting you know you're complete?

Thanks so much in advance, a lot of anxiety about financial aid, as it will determine my final choices!

2 quick questions for anyone who already finished the financial aid application process - Is there any deadline for completing FA apps? Also, I know we need to do the FAFSA and CSS, and a questionnaire, and there's a place to upload parent W2 and tax returns. Once we're done with this, is there some sort of notification letting you know you're complete?

Thanks so much in advance, a lot of anxiety about financial aid, as it will determine my final choices!
I believe that it's 4/1 for a financial aid package in time for the 4/30 deadline (although you might get your financial aid package far before that!)

For your other question--on Axess (where you submit the questionnaire and other documents), there's a list of those items that will be marked as "complete" within a week or so of submitting. For me it took about a month after completion until I got my financial aid letter.

Besides the deadline, it's rolling, so the earlier you submit it all, the sooner you'll get your package. Mine processed in ~2 wks.