2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am wondering if I have no ties and OOS, does that mean I should not waste my money for completing their secondary? when I receive it because I haven't received it yet
Personally, I wouldn't unless you were a 52X/3.8-4.0 with some significant community service. If you're from one of the surrounding states it may be worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if they send them in batches according to OOS, IS, or Idaho/Montana/Wyoming
I am an Idaho applicant complete as of 8/10 and haven't received a secondary yet either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hola Idaho Club. Verified 7/14, no secondary. I also personally know a couple of Utah IS that haven't received secondaries yet either.

I got one from my post above and I am not ED
Any chance you could share your stats? I'm wondering if they sent out the secondary to the "high-stat" applicants before they sent it out to others. Still haven't received the secondary.

Have any ED applicants been invited for an interview yet?

strange, i'm OOS, complete on 7/22, "under review" email on august 13th

Not me. I think they started sending out IIs on the 22nd (a Friday) last year, so maybe this Friday or next Friday?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
nope definitely not, LM 73 hahahhah -- this is why I said strange, not sure why i've been sent the secondary already

I was rejected pre-secondary today? I wonder if it's because I submitted without an MCAT score yet, good luck to the rest of you

I was rejected pre-secondary today? I wonder if it's because I submitted without an MCAT score yet, good luck to the rest of you

I would think that's it. When you get a secondary invite, it explicitly says "The University of Utah School of Medicine Office of Admissions invites you to complete the secondary application because you have met our minimum MCAT and GPA requirements." Still frustrating, though. Good luck to you in your cycle.

Last edited:

Not yet.

Edit: I just realized my secondary wasn't submitted all this time. I literally can't stop crying

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

That's strange. Last year I didn't receive a secondary application until I got my MCAT score back. Wish you luck with the other schools.

Not yet.

Edit: I just realized my secondary wasn't submitted all this time. I literally can't stop crying

Did you pass your deadline or were you still able to submit? It's okay if you just submitted it yesterday! 99% of applicants to the UUSOM haven't gotten their secondary yet anyway! Hope you're feeling better.

Anyone else a Utah resident and so far has only received the residency confirmation application? Not ED. I sent it in before the due date, but I also know they were having some technical difficulties. Just not sure what I should expect next.

Is the consensus still that most secondaries have not been sent out yet?

Anyone else a Utah resident and so far has only received the residency confirmation application? Not ED. I sent it in before the due date, but I also know they were having some technical difficulties. Just not sure what I should expect next.
Haven't even received that residency confirmation app here. When did you send your primary app?

Hi everyone. IS/ED, submitted Utah residency application on 8/13/20, just received an email this afternoon that my application was received & I was verified as a resident.

Hi everyone. IS/ED, submitted Utah residency application on 8/13/20, just received an email this afternoon that my application was received & I was verified as a resident.
I got a similar email confirming that they received my application the same day I submitted my residency app (Aug 13th as well), but I haven't received further emails about my residency application. (IS/ED)

"Greetings,

Thank you for completing your secondary materials for the University of Utah School of Medicine.

The Admissions Committee will review your application to determine if you are eligible for further consideration. Your file will be considered under review until you have been notified via email of the Admissions Committee decision. Interviews will be offered to approximately 500 applicants and will take place from September-February.

We thank you for your patience as we process your application.

University of Utah
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions"

The residency application asks for us to be as specific as possible and account for all months. If I was unemployed for a period after graduation, do I create a slot for unemployed? Do they only want examples of school, work, and military? I guess I am confused as to what it is really asking for... Can anyone provide some insight as to what they did? Apologies if this is a simple question I'm feeling fried from writing secondaries for the past month.:poke:
I just listed out some jobs and how long I worked there and also listed my time enrolled at the University of Utah. They got back to me today saying that they reviewed my response and agreed that I was a resident and that they would consider me for in-state tuition/residency.

I got a similar email confirming that they received my application the same day I submitted my residency app (Aug 13th as well), but I haven't received further emails about my residency application. (IS/ED)

"Greetings,

Thank you for completing your secondary materials for the University of Utah School of Medicine.

The Admissions Committee will review your application to determine if you are eligible for further consideration. Your file will be considered under review until you have been notified via email of the Admissions Committee decision. Interviews will be offered to approximately 500 applicants and will take place from September-February.

We thank you for your patience as we process your application.

University of Utah
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions"

I received the same email the day I received & submitted my residency app! My last name is towards the very beginning of the alphabet, if they're working through it that way.

I received the same email the day I received & submitted my residency app! My last name is towards the very beginning of the alphabet, if they're working through it that way.
Ah, so keep an eye out for a different email. Thanks for the clarification!

Secondary received today! OOS ORM, non-ED, 3.52 / 515 and verified 6/4.

For the Activities section, do you guys think we can just use the experience descriptions from our primary application? I'm hesitant to straight up copy and paste, but they're asking for the exact same information...

Secondary received today! OOS ORM, non-ED, 3.52 / 515 and verified 6/4.

For the Activities section, do you guys think we can just use the experience descriptions from our primary application? I'm hesitant to straight up copy and paste, but they're asking for the exact same information...

Be careful!! There's a text limit, but it's not "hard," so you can technically submit as much text as you'd like. If you look at the activity description before you write anything in, you'll see in light gray text that you're asked to keep your description around 300 characters. Be cautious of your text limits throughout the app.

Personally, I think it's fine to keep your descriptions very similar (although abridged), except I did split my shadowing up and explain each shadowing experience in more detail as opposed to grouping them into one activity like on the primary app.

Ah, so keep an eye out for a different email. Thanks for the clarification!

Yep! This is the email I received today confirming in-state status:

"Greetings,

Your Utah Residency Application has been reviewed and you have been verified as a Utah resident. Through the application process, you will be considered for in-state tuition purposes.

If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected].

Thank you for your interest in the University of Utah School of Medicine.

University of Utah School of Medicine

Office of Admissions"

Still haven't received a secondary...was waitlisted after interviewed last year, OOS 513 MCAT 3.6.
Is it just that they have not really sent out secondary apps to OOS? other than the individual above I guess. Does anyone have information about this?

Got a secondary this afternoon, international.

Just received my Utah Residency Application this afternoon, IS.

Any other instate applicants waiting on a secondary? Or am I the only one?..

I received a secondary invite on Friday and I am OOS and not from a neighboring state. For the activities section, are you guys writing these from scratch or taking some stuff from the primary?? I am so confused why they are asking this again.

I received a secondary invite on Friday and I am OOS and not from a neighboring state. For the activities section, are you guys writing these from scratch or taking some stuff from the primary?? I am so confused why they are asking this again.
Every committee does things differently but yes, it’s annoying to have to re-state things in the primary. However, it does give you an opportunity to list anything you might not have been able to list on AMCAS. I used my primary as a reference to summarize each activity.

Every committee does things differently but yes, it’s annoying to have to re-state things in the primary. However, it does give you an opportunity to list anything you might not have been able to list on AMCAS. I used my primary as a reference to summarize each activity.
thank you!!

3.94/3.98 - 525

Not sure if I should complete this secondary though, from what I've read around unless you have ties to the state it's not worth it.

I've seen people saying on this thread that the secondary has a 300 character limit. Does anyone know if this true for the activity section on the residency application? I don't see any character limits shown anywhere.

I've seen people saying on this thread that the secondary has a 300 character limit. Does anyone know if this true for the activity section on the residency application? I don't see any character limits shown anywhere.
I don't believe so; I think you can write as much as you would like to explain. But, I think it is just for determining residency and not taken into account any further after that. I would be surprised if the admissions team looked at it.

I don't believe so; I think you can write as much as you would like to explain. But, I think it is just for determining residency and not taken into account any further after that. I would be surprised if the admissions team looked at it.

Thanks! I just emailed admissions to make sure, and they said pretty much the same thing. They said the residency application is only used to determine whether a student is eligible for in-state tuition and that I'd have an opportunity to address my activities on the secondary application.

How long after submitting the residency application did most people receive a secondary?