2021-2022 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, current MS-2 here happy to answer any questions via PM!

Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was wondering is anyone could tell me about their experience at Campbell. I’ve been back and forth with applying to this school because I think that it could be a great school to attend, but the only thing that is holding me back is knowing it has Christian ties. I am a gay agnostic woman and I’m a little worried about the culture and fit. Can anyone who has attended tell me their opinions of what it may be like for LGBTQ+ folks?
There's very little religious tones from what I've experienced so far. There's one professor that like to give a short prayer before his lectures, and there are a few guest lectures that talk about religion in medicine, but really nothing other than that. I wouldn't imagine there would be anything against LGBTQ, and I haven't heard anything from those members of our class indicating otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody receive secondaries yet or just an email saying "thanks for submitting initial application"?

I received my invite for the secondary today!

I received my invite for the secondary today!
It looks like they are doing these one by one; I received that mass email yesterday. No secondary just yet. Do you mind sharing the prompts?

No secondary yet either :( but I got the email yesterday

Reactions: 4 users
It looks like they are doing these one by one; I received that mass email yesterday. No secondary just yet. Do you mind sharing the prompts?
1.The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation.*Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission. [1200 characters]

2. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. [2000 characters]

3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? [2000 characters]

4. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? [2000 characters]

Reactions: 1 users
Received secondary app today around 1pm. Same questions as stated above. No MCAT score yet and cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.2.

Received a pre-secondary rejection and said it was due to my sub 40th percentile sub score, didnt expect the first R so soon:). My breakdown is 126/130/124/129

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received a pre-secondary rejection and said it was due to my sub 40th percentile sub score, didnt expect the first R so soon:). My breakdown is 126/130/124/129
That sucks. Sorry.

Received secondary today pre-MCAT score!

1.The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation.*Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission. [1200 characters]

2. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. [2000 characters]

3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? [2000 characters]

4. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? [2000 characters
For those writing their secondaries, specifically looking at question 4 ---- I applied last cycle to MD programs and had no luck (applied late, MCAT canceled then needed to retake and a bunch of other things went wrong plus I was not ready to apply) --- is this question really asking me to list EVERY school I applied to because that will take up a lot of characters lol

For those writing their secondaries, specifically looking at question 4 ---- I applied last cycle to MD programs and had no luck (applied late, MCAT canceled then needed to retake and a bunch of other things went wrong plus I was not ready to apply) --- is this question really asking me to list EVERY school I applied to because that will take up a lot of characters lol
If you're gonna run out of space then maybe list only DO schools you've applied to? They're really responsive to their emails so I would ask if you think it's important.

I am retaking the MCAT in July. Will I still receive a secondary based on my first MCAT or will they hold my application?
I think you can possibly receive a secondary as long as you have indicated on your primary that you plan on taking the MCAT in July.

How did y'all pay the secondary processing fee? I used the site link and nothing shows under the application fee tab? I also created a login because I thought that was the problem.

How did y'all pay the secondary processing fee? I used the site link and nothing shows under the application fee tab? I also created a login because I thought that was the problem.
I am having the same issue so I just emailed them!

When you go to the touchnet link that they sent, instead of going to "applications" go to the search bar (top right) and search "Application" and it should show up as "CUSOM Application Fee."

I think you can possibly receive a secondary as long as you have indicated on your primary that you plan on taking the MCAT in July.
Should I just wait to apply until I receive my score since they will hold my application?

Should I just wait to apply until I receive my score since they will hold my application?
No. Go ahead and apply and submit secondary. They are following COVID app process which means they are wiling to send out secondaries and offer interviews even before you have LOR or MCAT score. So don't wait.

Has anyone received this email

"Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

But not got a secondary yet? I got that email two weeks ago and since then nothing, no secondary :cryi:

"Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

But not got a secondary yet? I got that email two weeks ago and since then nothing, no secondary :cryi:
I received that email but the next day received the secondary. Maybe they are reviewing your app more in depth.

I'm currently in the same boat!

For question #4 on the secondary: I applied to med schools (MD only) in 2018. Anyone have thoughts on if I should still share this information since it is asking within the last two years? I don't mind sharing and discussing it with schools, just more writing I would have to do and want to use my time wisely with writing essays lol

Hey guys did anyone get this email? I just got it but still no secondary, anyone know what it means?

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

Once we review your application with the committee we will contact you with a status update."

Hey guys did anyone get this email? I just got it but still no secondary, anyone know what it means?

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

Once we review your application with the committee we will contact you with a status update."
I didn't receive this email, got an email to invite me to the secondary application portal. When were you verified?

I didn't receive this email, got an email to invite me to the secondary application portal. When were you verified?
A while ago like June 3rd, I dont know what it means. Hopefully its not bad news

Has anyone noticed that the Campbell secondary asks to "describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission" twice?

What are we supposed to do with that?
I sort of ignored it and answered the first part.

I am retaking the MCAT in July. Will I still receive a secondary based on my first MCAT or will they hold my application?
hey was kind of in the same boat and worried I would receive the pre secondary R as someone else indicated because one of my first scores was below 50th percentile. but I just received the secondary today so you should be fine as long as you have it listed on aacomas that you plan on retaking!

hey was kind of in the same boat and worried I would receive the pre secondary R as someone else indicated because one of my first scores was below 50th percentile. but I just received the secondary today so you should be fine as long as you have it listed on aacomas that you plan on retaking!
Yes, I am planning to apply after I take the MCAT so I don't have to worry about secondary right now. I just hope that it won't be too late due to my pending score.

Curious - did you ever hear back?

I got this same email! I submitted on 6/15 and received this email on 6/24, and I haven't heard anything back since. Based on their mission, I'm wondering if they may have a preference for in state or regional candidates. I'm neither of those, so maybe that's why they want to do a more in depth review before sending a secondary? This is all just my own speculation though!

I got this same email! I submitted on 6/15 and received this email on 6/24, and I haven't heard anything back since. Based on their mission, I'm wondering if they may have a preference for in state or regional candidates. I'm neither of those, so maybe that's why they want to do a more in depth review before sending a secondary? This is all just my own speculation though!
Do you think? I was thinking maybe it's because I had an IA for academic probation or maybe because I had to report criminal history for speeding tickets (misdemeanors in my state, so dumb) and maybe those set off alarms? I do hope they get back to me

Do you think? I was thinking maybe it's because I had an IA for academic probation or maybe because I had to report criminal history for speeding tickets (misdemeanors in my state, so dumb) and maybe those set off alarms? I do hope they get back to me
I don't have any IA's but I do have the same issue with speeding tickets- I'm blessed to live in one of those states too!

I don't have any IA's but I do have the same issue with speeding tickets- I'm blessed to live in one of those states too!
It sucks doesn't it 😅 if only I could've kept my younger self from speeding and being dumb

Secondary Received! Primary submitted 6/25 LM 65.5

Reactions: 1 users
For question 4 on the secondary.. "list all of the medical schools you applied to in the past two years".
Do y'all think I should list all MD and DO schools, or just DO?