2021-2022 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Primary Supplemental Questions @PapaGuava:

Question 1: (2000 characters)

a) Have you ever applied to ANY academic program (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) at the University of New England? If yes, please indicate the program and year in which you applied. If no, please respond N/A.
b) Describe your interests in attending UNE COM and any contact you've had with our students, alumni, or faculty. If you are related to a UNE COM graduate, please list that person’s full name, year of graduation, and relationship to you.

Question 2: (2000 characters)
a) How many Osteopathic Vs Allopathic medical schools have you applied to this cycle? b) If you previously only applied to Allopathic medical schools, why are you now applying to Osteopathic Medical schools? Please be concise and specific. c) If this is more than your first round of application to medical schools, what have you done to enhance your preparedness? Please be concise and specific.

Question 3: (2000 characters)
UNE COM’s curriculum is built on a foundation of team-based education. Give an example of when you worked on an effective team, either academically or professionally. Explain why a team-based approach is the right model for your medical education.

Question 4: (2000 characters)
If everything goes according to plan, how and where do you see yourself professionally in ten years? How come?

Last edited:
I'm about to start the supplemental questions. Any advice on how to go about these?

Members don't see this ad :)
for q2 a, do we just mention a number or do we have to write the names of the schools too?

for q2 a, do we just mention a number or do we have to write the names of the schools too?
Just a number should be fine, that's what I did

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if it will be looked negatively if you say you are applying to a lot more MD schools? Like you are not serious about DO?

This may be a dumb question but for the secondary questions with multiple parts, should we just answer them in essay format or put "a." "b" etc.

Were you guys contacted by the school/got a secondary after apps went out yesterday? If you're referring to the supplemental questions above there were individual text boxes for each question

Were you guys contacted by the school/got a secondary after apps went out yesterday? If you're referring to the supplemental questions above there were individual text boxes for each question
UNE stated that there was not a secondary application and that the supplemental questions were it. There were individual text boxes for each question but not for the question parts.

UNE stated that there was not a secondary application and that the supplemental questions were it. There were individual text boxes for each question but not for the question parts.
Thank god you answered that, for a second I thought I submitted my application wrong (essays with abc when not needed- but *phew* 😅) Got me all worried for nothing.

was wondering if I would get auto-screened out if I put down that I was applying to 5 DO, 30 MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
was wondering if I would get auto-screened out if I put down that I was applying to 5 DO, 30 MD?
I asked them how they used this information at the recent ChooseDO Session and they basically said they use it to gauge interest in osteopathic medicine. So if your essays don't really fit the osteopathic perspective, you don't emphasize "why DO" or seem to be too interested in the school, the ratio of DO vs MD will hinder you. But they did not make it seem like they "screen out".

Reactions: 1 user
I asked them how they used this information at the recent ChooseDO Session and they basically said they use it to gauge interest in osteopathic medicine. So if your essays don't really fit the osteopathic perspective, you don't emphasize "why DO" or seem to be too interested in the school, the ratio of DO vs MD will hinder you. But they did not make it seem like they "screen out".
okay, thanks so much. i was really on the fence about applying despite how my mission aligns with DO, but I'll go ahead with it.

Lol I applied to 19 MD and only UNECOM for DO. Maybe that will be a bad thing, but I wrote about how geographically UNE was ideal for me and about some student shadowing I did there as an undergrad put the school on my radar and peaked my interest. Who knows how they'll take it but figured I'd be honest and hope for the best.

Lol I applied to 19 MD and only UNECOM for DO. Maybe that will be a bad thing, but I wrote about how geographically UNE was ideal for me and about some student shadowing I did there as an undergrad put the school on my radar and peaked my interest. Who knows how they'll take it but figured I'd be honest and hope for the best.
Wishing you the best! It's kind of BS that they ask the question to begin with

sorry if this is a dumb question. I submitted my primary to like 20 MD's but I realized that I'm doing the secondaries for 15 only. Do i have to write 20 md schools for their question or 15 is fine?

sorry if this is a dumb question. I submitted my primary to like 20 MD's but I realized that I'm doing the secondaries for 15 only. Do i have to write 20 md schools for their question or 15 is fine?
I think 15 is fine since you are only technically fully applying to 15 !

How late is considered too late to submit this application?

How late is considered too late to submit this application?
For UNECOM we are already submitting the secondary through AACOMAS so in retrospect, this is still very early! I would say I wouldn't worry about late until like July / Late August.

when did you guys submit your primary?

Did you expand upon the reasoning or just state the numbers of both schools? TIA
I said, "I have applied to X Osteopathic medical schools and Y Allopathic medical schools."

I didn't explain it any further because they didn't ask for an explanation

Just got an email to complete a secondary. Primary submitted on May 17 and verified on May 18. Did anyone else get anything?

Was there any essay prompts and if so do you mind sharing please?
Just got an email to complete a secondary. Primary submitted on May 17 and verified on May 18. Did anyone else get anything?

How much does this secondary cost? I couldn't find this information on their website.

Have not received secondary fee email. OOS.

Any of y'all get the email to pay the secondary fee? I got the email but the link to the payment portal is not working for me, it never loads. Are any of y'all having the same problem?

Any of y'all get the email to pay the secondary fee? I got the email but the link to the payment portal is not working for me, it never loads. Are any of y'all having the same problem?
I didn't have any trouble with it, you might want to contact them. And I actually got a confirmation email from UNE COM they received the payment as well.

I didn't have any trouble with it, you might want to contact them. And I actually got a confirmation email from UNE COM they received the payment as well.
Nevermind, I waited long enough and it worked! Must be my slow internet haha

Is it weird I still haven't received anything after that first email yet?

Reactions: 1 users
does UNECOM force observant Jewish students to break Shabbat to attend orientation or other ceremonies or special classes which don't really qualify as a halachically valid reason to break Shabbat for reasons of pikuach nefesh (to save a life)? I do notice that in 2020 they held their orientation ceremony on a Saturday.