2021-2022 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there, has anyone interviewed at McGovern’s MSTP program and know what time frames to block off for the interview on the two days, specifically the MDPHD day? I have an event at 6:30 EST and I’m really hoping that I can make it beforehand. Also if anyone can let me know what the itinerary is like or schedule overview I would really appreciate it! Thank you.
Hi! I interviewed last year for the MSTP program and I had a total of 6 interviews: 4 interviews for the MD/PhD on thurs and 2 MD interviews on Fri. The Thurs interviews are very research heavy and conducted by MD/PhDs or PhDs, one of which will be with a co-director of the program, while the Friday interviews are conducted will all the other MD applicants. If you were to apply straight MD, you would only be interviewed on that Friday. Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Has anyone that submitted in Mid/late august heard anything from McGovern? Most previous posts Ive seen are from june or july. reapplicant here. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if it's possible to know our financial aid from McGovern prior to submitting our rankings? I prematched at a higher ranking school but would still want to go to McGovern if they offered great aid.
Congrats! Call the admin office and see what they say if you got accepted. If you didn't prematch, i might wait until you hear or wait until Jan/Feb and then maybe submit a letter asking what the financials look like. I feel that that's a fair question to ask (maybe someone more experienced can weigh in?)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Complete mid-late July. IS LM ~75. II cancellations from other applicants must be taking effect!

Reactions: 4 users
Also got an II this morning. Complete early August

Hi! Has anyone that submitted in Mid/late august heard anything from McGovern? Most previous posts Ive seen are from june or july. reapplicant here. Thanks!
Complete 9/1 and II 9/27. Also a reapplicant!

Last edited:
Thanks! Good luck!!! Mind if I ask your stats?
Thank you!

IS, 513, 3.94.

I had a friend last year who was complete in June and did not receive an II from McGovern til November, so I would not worry about it yet! Also she ended up matching there :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!

IS, 513, 3.94.

I had a friend last year who was complete in June and did not receive an II from McGovern til November, so I would not worry about it yet! Also she ended up matching there :)

Close friend of mine got his II in January and pulled off WL in May. Hang in there everyone!

Thank you!

IS, 513, 3.94.

Anxiously waiting for an II, I am also a reapplicant . I did interview last year at McGovern. Invite didn't come until end of October. Have you had any other II besides McGovern. I also got at II at Tech this year. They say 3 II is the magic number.

Anxiously waiting for an II, I am also a reapplicant . I did interview last year at McGovern. Invite didn't come until end of October. Have you had any other II besides McGovern. I also got at II at Tech this year. They say 3 II is the magic number.
Right now I have II from McGovern, Baylor, and UTMB. Last year I had McGovern, Long, and UTMB and did not match. Hoping for better luck this year🙃

Right now I have II from McGovern, Baylor, and UTMB. Last year I had McGovern, Long, and UTMB and did not match. Hoping for better luck this year🙃
I also have McGovern, Baylor, and UTMB! No love from other schools unfortunately.

Would sending a letter of intent bode well for me at this time? How does McGovern view Letters of Intent? Also I already interviewed here, so it would be post-interview

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the deal with OOS students? Interviewed several weeks before Oct 15, but got no news. Haven't seen anything from other OOS folks either. Should I just assume its a WL, or keep holding out for later acceptance waves?

What is the deal with OOS students? Interviewed several weeks before Oct 15, but got no news. Haven't seen anything from other OOS folks either. Should I just assume its a WL, or keep holding out for later acceptance waves?
OOS students could hear a decision any time after October 15th. Most of the Texas schools send out acceptances in batches, after a committee meeting discussing recent interviewees, and not as a steady trickle of notifications. OOS notifications would be mixed in with in-state. Good luck!

Does anyone know if it's possible to know our financial aid from McGovern prior to submitting our rankings? I prematched at a higher ranking school but would still want to go to McGovern if they offered great aid.
Please report back if they work with you to make a financial aid package! I’m in the same boat.

Please report back if they work with you to make a financial aid package! I’m in the same boat.

If I recall correctly, you won't get financial aid package until long after match is over. Ditto for scholarships, which an app opens up later in April/May timeframe.

What are yall's stats (GPA and MCAT) if you dont mind be asking for those who have either recieved an interview or have already pre-matched?

MS2 at McGovern here. If you’re asking about scholarships, you won’t find out until March or April at the very very very soonest. They don’t send out scholarship applications until almost the entire class has been accepted, ie after match day. Hope this helps.

Would sending a letter of intent bode well for me at this time? How does McGovern view Letters of Intent? Also I already interviewed here, so it would be post-interview
Hi! I’m a McGovern MSII! If you send an email with a letter of intent to admissions, you’ll likely receive an email essentially saying thanks, we’ll add it to your file. That’s what happened with all my friends. As far as “how admissions views it”…I’m not admissions so I could only speculate

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do great on the interview here if this is our top choice?
Hi, McGovern MSII here. The best advice I can give to interviewees here is to be yourself. I genuinely mean that. The interviews here are mostly conversational. We know you’re smart enough to do medical school or you wouldn’t have received an invite. So at that point the question is “will this person be able to contribute to the collaborative and family culture at McGovern” and/or “will they further the mission/vision/values of the school”. We preach this to interviewees all the time as current students. So the best way to find that out is to just be you!!! Smile and have fun, go to the Pre interview social and ask tons of questions! Best of luck along your interview trail.

Does McGovern accept any update letters to help your chances of getting a II? I was complete mid/late July and still have heard nothing. Anyone else in the same situation?

Does McGovern accept any update letters to help your chances of getting a II? I was complete mid/late July and still have heard nothing. Anyone else in the same situation?
Same. Complete late July/early August, crickets.

I'm in the same boat, and i don't think they do:(((( i think you can look on the website but there it says no, i even went into the adcom office and asked in person. They said you can send updates if you've been invited to interview, but not before

Same. Complete late July/early August, crickets.
I know someone last year who was complete around the same time and got a McGovern interview in December. His MCAT was a 514. The window is still open!

I just got an invitation to take an on campus tour in the mail with a mask. Very dumb question but is this sent to all interviewees?
Did you interview? I got a UT health mask in the mail last year after i interviewed !

So excited for my II!!! Submitted 9/1 ♥️♥️♥️

I see the question from August232 quoted above but am unable to find it. I have the same question - I received a mask in the mail with a magnet, and a thank you letter that included an invite to tour. Is this sent to all interviewees?

Looking back at the board from last year I see some folks that received it had prematched, others matched, and some didn't match with McGovern after all. So, I'm assuming it's a cordial type of thing and not a positive or negative indicator?

If anyone has any thought on the matter or concrete info or also received this package today please let me know!

I see the question from August232 quoted above but am unable to find it. I have the same question - I received a mask in the mail with a magnet, and a thank you letter that included an invite to tour. Is this sent to all interviewees?

Looking back at the board from last year I see some folks that received it had prematched, others matched, and some didn't match with McGovern after all. So, I'm assuming it's a cordial type of thing and not a positive or negative indicator?

If anyone has any thought on the matter or concrete info or also received this package today please let me know!
I interviewed last year, was waitlisted, but Ultimately rejected. I think it's a cute gift they send out to their interviewed students.

I received this package today too! Yeah, I don't know what it means though, I wanna think it's a good sign. Like maybe their way of saying you're not rejected yet? idk honestly, it's probably just something they send all of their interviewees though

I received this package today too! Yeah, I don't know what it means though, I wanna think it's a good sign. Like maybe their way of saying you're not rejected yet? idk honestly, it's probably just something they send all of their interviewees though
No, it's not something they give to everyone they interview. There are also different packages? Some include different things and different letters. But, like Pastakween said, it is by no means a pre-match. Im choosing to take it in a positive light but nothing more than cordial! I dont think its worth worrying over or reading into, just a thoughtful package from a fantastic school! I won't be repping the mask bc I dont want to jinx it 😝 the magnet will make a great holder for my grocery list though!

No, it's not something they give to everyone they interview. There are also different packages? Some include different things and different letters. But, like Pastakween said, it is by no means a pre-match. Im choosing to take it in a positive light but nothing more than cordial! I dont think its worth worrying over or reading into, just a thoughtful package from a fantastic school! I won't be repping the mask bc I dont want to jinx it 😝 the magnet will make a great holder for my grocery list though!
Yeah that's true! My package had a mask and a sticker loll. I'll take it as a good sign for now

Unless something has changed, just about everyone who's interviewed should receive it. Sometimes there are shipping errors are things get lost in the mail but it's a complimentary gift by McGovern.

Unless something has changed, just about everyone who's interviewed should receive it. Sometimes there are shipping errors are things get lost in the mail but it's a complimentary gift by McGovern.
It seems like that would be the case! But again, different packages, and I know several people who got accepted last year who never received anything of the sort. Again, seems like it isnt indicative of anything, just wanted to share my thoughts/experiences!

II received! Complete early-mid September and OOS still in the process of residency appeal.

It seems like that would be the case! But again, different packages, and I know several people who got accepted last year who never received anything of the sort. Again, seems like it isnt indicative of anything, just wanted to share my thoughts/experiences!
Ask to check what addressed they had on file, I'm from CT but live in TX and my mask last year was sent to CT at my parents house

IS II received about an hour ago! Complete 8/10

Just curious, does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate for UT McGovern?

is that for rolling acceptance IS or prematch too?
Here's the link:

I imagine that for IS, this means that there's a 52% chance that you'll either prematch or match into McGovern (assuming you rank it #1)

For OOS, they don't participate in the match (rolling basis for them), so the 52% comes from how many OOS applicants are accepted from the pool of OOS interviewees.

Anyone who knows more feel free to correct/add.

Here's the link:

I imagine that for IS, this means that there's a 52% chance that you'll either prematch or match into McGovern (assuming you rank it #1)

For OOS, they don't participate in the match (rolling basis for them), so the 52% comes from how many OOS applicants are accepted from the pool of OOS interviewees.

Anyone who knows more feel free to correct/add

Thanks so much for the data! Just curious, where did the numbers come from, and for what year? Some questions for the numbers on Sheet2 as well. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the data! Just curious, where did the numbers come from, and for what year? Some questions for the numbers on Sheet2 as well. Thanks!
I believe 2020. There is probably a 2021 doc floating around (the %s are likely very similar). Data comes from US News & World Report.

Edit: Here is 2021!

Last edited:
  • Love
Thanks! Curious why the following schools are not included on the list (UT-Austin Dell, UT-Rio Grande Valley)....

Thanks! Curious why the following schools are not included on the list (UT-Austin Dell, UT-Rio Grande Valley)....
Schools have to be willing to fill out a lot of information to give to USNWR to get on their ranking radar.
I would hazard a guess that neither of these schools did that.

Got my swag today (sticker and mask). Trying to explain to my dad that does not mean I'm going to get in lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
First, congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance from McGovern! And good luck to the people who have interviews coming up!
This is my second time applying and I was really hoping for an II from McGovern. I love the mission, the location, and everything about the curriculum. But I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary on June 1st. After seeing lots of people getting IIs and pre-match offers now, should I assume I've been screened out? Does McGovern send out pre-interview R's?