2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got calls today- when were you matched? I’m wondering if they’re doing all the calls today or just the first wave
I matched on 5/21, but I am still awaiting a call from HR.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that got the call received the email yet? I answered when they called but was not in a place where I could write down the email address for transcripts, I figured it would all be in the email but nothing has come through yet (I got my call yesterday afternoon)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that got the call received the email yet? I answered when they called but was not in a place where I could write down the email address for transcripts, I figured it would all be in the email but nothing has come through yet (I got my call yesterday afternoon)
I got a call yesterday afternoon but they left a voicemail and officially accepted this morning. I haven’t seen an email come through yet either.

Just Checked my portal and it changed to "Confirmation Matching" I almost lost hope! Waiting for an email to confirm!

Reactions: 1 users
I looked today on my portal and it was the same as interview. But I just got an email that I was matched to Carson city, Nevada. Sooo don’t give up just yet!

Just Checked my portal and it changed to "Confirmation Matching" I almost lost hope! Waiting for an email to confirm!
Just got the email, got offered Cincinnati Ohio! working in public health surveillance (I am from Cleveland)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I am confused about what it means to accept a match— PHAP is a 2-year program, but will Associates move to multiple sites over the course of the two years?? Or will we be staying where we got matched for the whole time? Does it depend?

Hi all, I am confused about what it means to accept a match— PHAP is a 2-year program, but will Associates move to multiple sites over the course of the two years?? Or will we be staying where we got matched for the whole time? Does it depend?
Associates will stay at the matched location/host site for the duration of the two years.

For those of you that already got the call and contract, have you started looking for a place to stay?? Or did anyone’s location change from what they originally gave you??

For those of you that already got the call and contract, have you started looking for a place to stay?? Or did anyone’s location change from what they originally gave you??
This may be different for each depending on location. I was matched OCONUS, so outside of the continental US. The reason this makes a difference is how the move will take place, who pays, etc. I received an email about location departure and location arrival which starts the next phase of paperwork. there is supposed to be an email following the official acceptance call that will require us to send our official transcripts to the proper place. My email mentioned that it now going through the Human Resources Office for the actual hiring process. I believe there is still more paperwork as well and may include a background check. So we accepted the terms of the PHAP program, location, and the call was to verify this, state the salary, and terms (2 years), along with promotion potential (start at GS5, GS7 after a year, with the ability to convert after 2 years). The next step is the HR official hiring process, from what I understand.

I wouldn't jump right into finding a place to live and the move just yet. My date for my first day on the host site is October 12. This is assuming all else goes through. Now, scouting the cost of living, good neighborhoods, transportation options etc... is great! But I am waiting until the official hiring is done, then I will be flying out to find housing.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
The official email from the HR department will walk you through the steps. You will follow the link, officially accept the offer. Prepare to send official transcripts to the person assigned. My school has the option to send official e-transcripts so mine was very quick and simple.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE DATES. My window to accept was 1 business day. Check those spam folders.

Once you accept, the portal will guide you through the demographic and basic forms, along with the initial start to the background check. There will be a PDF form as well. On my computer it opened in the browser, it will be signed electronically. Just pay attention to the instructions.

I just graduated undergrad (political science major and a few minors) and was hoping to hear good news at this point. I think I’m gonna go ahead and take this L. I haven’t gotten any emails or portal updates. You know what they say about hope and eternal misery. Does anyone have any tips for reapplying next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated undergrad (political science major and a few minors) and was hoping to hear good news at this point. I think I’m gonna go ahead and take this L. I haven’t gotten any emails or portal updates. You know what they say about hope and eternal misery. Does anyone have any tips for reapplying next year?
I would say don't put all your eggs in one basket. Hope breeds eternal misery is the siren song of the damned. Hope is fine, it must be backed with direction and conviction. If you were passed over this round, look at the requirements, and adjust for the headwinds if this is your path. A hope and a wish are what you put out into the aether, but you must take the real-world actions that make those hopes and wishes come true. Look at what the basic BS or BA in public health require, look at your transcripts and figure out how to bolster those missing classes or work in the real world towards acquiring the skills you can then apply towards the application.

Start looking at non-profits or opportunities in volunteer work within community health. The volume of applicants this round was very high from what I understand. This makes it even more competitive for those with degrees outside of Public Health. Do NOT let this get you down. You JUST graduated. Perhaps you can contact the program and ask for advice directly. You have a year. Do NOT make this your only focus. It is a government job and there are plenty out there. Poly Sci could carry over to other fields as well, all in the same bureaucracy that is federal employment. Spend time on USAJobs and look at the requirements for each job per agency. You are going to have to figure out what you want to do, I mean, health, policy, admin, and where and what. Step back, look at ALL of the opportunities, and you may find working for the Dept of the Interior, Embassy, even USDA, or another agency would actually fulfill your hopes.

Look at the requirements, consider the competition, look at what the basic PH program provides, see if this creates a disparity in your education or resume, decide if you can fill this in with education or real-world experience, look at other opportunities geared towards your academic base. Never let a job application get you down, you're worth more than that.

Hi, everyone! 2020 PHAP here in Columbia, SC. If anyone was matched to SC I’d love to talk! Was born and raised here in Columbia, moved to Charleston to go to school at CofC, and then moved back to Columbia. I’m assigned to immunizations and currently working in the COVID response. Feel free to reach out 😊

Same here lol I also got matched there and don’t know anything about it.
I'm from Columbia and I am currently placed here in immunizations. Feel free to message me with any questions!

I emailed them today and told them my portal still hasn't updated past the "ready for interview" they asked if I completed my interview and I told them when I did it. They then told me they're still in the process of matching and it will fall into next week. I do wish we got some type of update though.

I would say don't put all your eggs in one basket. Hope breeds eternal misery is the siren song of the damned. Hope is fine, it must be backed with direction and conviction. If you were passed over this round, look at the requirements, and adjust for the headwinds if this is your path. A hope and a wish are what you put out into the aether, but you must take the real-world actions that make those hopes and wishes come true. Look at what the basic BS or BA in public health require, look at your transcripts and figure out how to bolster those missing classes or work in the real world towards acquiring the skills you can then apply towards the application.

Start looking at non-profits or opportunities in volunteer work within community health. The volume of applicants this round was very high from what I understand. This makes it even more competitive for those with degrees outside of Public Health. Do NOT let this get you down. You JUST graduated. Perhaps you can contact the program and ask for advice directly. You have a year. Do NOT make this your only focus. It is a government job and there are plenty out there. Poly Sci could carry over to other fields as well, all in the same bureaucracy that is federal employment. Spend time on USAJobs and look at the requirements for each job per agency. You are going to have to figure out what you want to do, I mean, health, policy, admin, and where and what. Step back, look at ALL of the opportunities, and you may find working for the Dept of the Interior, Embassy, even USDA, or another agency would actually fulfill your hopes.

Look at the requirements, consider the competition, look at what the basic PH program provides, see if this creates a disparity in your education or resume, decide if you can fill this in with education or real-world experience, look at other opportunities geared towards your academic base. Never let a job application get you down, you're worth more than that.
Wow, thank you so much! This was really insightful. I’ll keep all this in mind :)

Hey everyone! I got matched/accepted the offer to work in Charleston, WV in health equity/access to care over 3 weeks ago but haven't received any information...I assume most people are in the same boat it seems? I got one random call from GA about a week ago but it was a 762 area code so I don't think it had anything to do with PHAP/I couldn't call them back. If anyone has any updates on who your calls/emails are coming from for HR please let me know! I'm also slightly confused on if we can still be denied or anything after accepting a host site match...

Hey everyone! I got matched/accepted the offer to work in Charleston, WV in health equity/access to care over 3 weeks ago but haven't received any information...I assume most people are in the same boat it seems? I got one random call from GA about a week ago but it was a 762 area code so I don't think it had anything to do with PHAP/I couldn't call them back. If anyone has any updates on who your calls/emails are coming from for HR please let me know! I'm also slightly confused on if we can still be denied or anything after accepting a host site match...
I missed the call the first time and they left a voicemail and called me again the next morning.

Calls will typically be coming from the 404 and 770 area codes. In regards to the last part of your post, after accepting your host site match you are in the program! The only reason that you can still be denied at this point is failing to clear the eQIP security clearance/background check, but I've heard that's a rare occasion.

Hi everyone! I am a 2019 PHAP stationed in Raleigh, NC working in HIV. If there's anyone here that was matched in Raleigh or in NC in general, I would love to chat! :) I've lived in NC for most of life and went to UNC for my undergrad.

I got matched on June 7th but still haven’t got a call or email yet
On the Facebook group, some May 21st matches still haven’t received a call and email yet. It does seems to be trickling down though…might take more time for them to start June 7th batch. 😅

I was fully prepared to take this L. I interviewed may 6th and got matched today for my first choice Washington DC working in chronic disease: population health! If any other current or past associates would like to connect please let me know!!

Reactions: 4 users
I was fully prepared to take this L. I interviewed may 6th and got matched today for my first choice Washington DC working in chronic disease: population health! If any other current or past associates would like to connect please let me know!!
I live in DC right now if you have any questions about the area!

I also received a match today! working on Tobacco prevention and control in Madison, WI. if anyone has worked on Tobacco prevention and control please lmk as I have no idea what this will entail. It was not one of my choices I selected and I know nothing about it. I am worried that this may be one of the 'glorified secretary' position that was mentioned earlier in this chat and in other, so just looking for anyone who knows anything about this topic! please message me!!!

Last edited:
I also received a match today! working on Tobacco prevention and control in Madison, WI. if anyone has worked on Tobacco prevention and control please lmk as I have no idea what this will entail. It was not one of my choices I selected and I know nothing about it. I am worried that this may be one of the 'glorified secretary' position that was mentioned earlier in this chat and in other, so just looking for anyone who knows anything about this topic! please message me!!!
Congrats! I'm from Madison and I actually know someone who had a lot of roots in Tobacco prevention work, though it was during their undergraduate years. I think that PHAP doesn't allow secretary work anymore and I think they take preventative measures to make sure that the sites don't just give you a lot of paperwork. Let me know if you'd like the chat!

Congrats! I'm from Madison and I actually know someone who had a lot of roots in Tobacco prevention work, though it was during their undergraduate years. I think that PHAP doesn't allow secretary work anymore and I think they take preventative measures to make sure that the sites don't just give you a lot of paperwork. Let me know if you'd like the chat!
messaged you!

Hey y'all! My name's Kane, I'm a 2019 PHAP working in TB Prevention in Guam. I hope everyone is weathering the matching process ok, it can be a lot to take in at once but it's a good warm up to the flexibility PHAP requires.

If anyone has questions about the process my email is below and I would be happy to answer them if I can! Special call out for anyone who matched and accepted to Guam, CNMI, American Samoa or any of the USAPI I'd love to connect you to the other PHAPs working out here, we're psyched to have you on board! :) Good luck everyone!

Email: [email protected]

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if matches are still going out? Will they end in August?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if matches are still going out? Will they end in August?
I emailed them yesterday, and they got back to me this morning saying they are still in the process of recruitment and to remain patient, as hard as that is!

For those who are discouraged for not getting an offer like me..don’t be. If it’s not meant to be, there’s another door and opportunity waiting for you.

I just got offered a remote position within the CDC Foundation with a salary of 75K. It’s not CDC but it’s the nonprofit organization of CDC and I’ll take it. I don’t have my MPH yet and graduated in 2020. I graduate with my MPH in Dec 2021. Wishing everyone the best!! Stay encouraged!! Apply everywhere and don’t give up!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone gotten the instructions for the background check? It’s not letting me create an account.

Has anyone gotten the instructions for the background check? It’s not letting me create an account.
If you are referring to the e_Qip site, did your contact send you the registration code? My instructions left a lot to be desired. I ended up contacting my ..contact, in order to clarify. It is time-sensitive, so don't wait and don't be shy about it. Email your contact and also, make sure you are assigned a fingerprint location near you. My background info had to be completed in 48 hours. contact them now.

edit: 48 hours or two days not 72 hours

Last edited:
If you are referring to the e_Qip site, did your contact send you the registration code? My instructions left a lot to be desired. I ended up contacting my ..contact, in order to clarify. It is time-sensitive, so don't wait and don't be shy about it. Email your contact and also, make sure you are assigned a fingerprint location near you. My background info had to be completed in 48 hours. contact them now.

edit: 48 hours or two days not 72 hours
I did contact them and was finally able to connect. We got it straightened out.

Hey everyone! I am a 2020 PHAP in Phoenix, Arizona working at Maricopa County in TB Prevention. If you're coming to AZ and have any questions, feel free to text me 843-830-0412!

Hey there! Has anyone heard anything recently or been given any preliminary offers?
Nope. I talked to them a week ago and they said offers would still be going until August or later than that. I’m not sure how late since associates would begin their assignments on October.

Nope. I talked to them a week ago and they said offers would still be going until August or later than that. I’m not sure how late since associates would begin their assignments on October.
My current roommate for the program told me that one of her friend received an tentative email offer from the program today. They are still matching! ^^

Hi everyone! I was just offered a position in Madison, Wisconsin for Injury Prevention: Occupational Health and Safety. I received an email around 2pm, and no phone call. I'm from DC and will not only have to prepare for a relocation in less than two months, but I also have to get out of a lease or find someone to rent my room since I have roommates. Pretty big decision to make in less than 24 hours haha. I am excited though. If anyone has any advice I welcome and appreciate it! Also, if you are from Madison or surrounding areas or are currently working there!

Edit: I accepted the offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I was just offered a position in Madison, Wisconsin for Injury Prevention: Occupational Health and Safety. I received an email around 2pm, and no phone call. I'm from DC and will not only have to prepare for a relocation in less than two months, but I also have to get out of a lease or find someone to rent my room since I have roommates. Pretty big decision to make in less than 24 hours haha. I am excited though. If anyone has any advice I welcome and appreciate it! Also, if you are from Madison or surrounding areas or are currently working there!

Edit: I accepted the offer.
Let me know if you have any questions about Madison/the culture!

Hi! I was offered a position earlier today in Cherokee, NC working on Community Health Improvement Planning and Community Health Assessments. I am thinking it would be best for me to move to the Asheville area. If anyone has any insight on this particular position or either of the areas mentioned I'd love to chat!

Has anyone else been "cleared" by their security personnel, but not received the formal offer yet?/ If you have received the formal offer, did they contact you by phone or email?

I
got an email about 2 weeks ago from my security specialist that said I was approved, but I have not been contacted by anyone at CDC with the formal offer yet. I'm sure it's coming, but I'd prefer to wait for it before I sign my name on any lease/ make any financial commitments. If anyone has been in this situation, how long do you think I should I wait before I just sign my name on a lease? Obviously we don't have to move until October, but since I'm moving 2,000+ miles away, I'd prefer to go straight to an apartment with my name on the lease.

Let me know if you have any questions about Madison/the culture!
Thank you! I’m currently looking for an apartment to rent in the city. I want to live in a more diverse area. Do you have any areas in mind?

Has anyone else been "cleared" by their security personnel, but not received the formal offer yet?/ If you have received the formal offer, did they contact you by phone or email?

I
got an email about 2 weeks ago from my security specialist that said I was approved, but I have not been contacted by anyone at CDC with the formal offer yet. I'm sure it's coming, but I'd prefer to wait for it before I sign my name on any lease/ make any financial commitments. If anyone has been in this situation, how long do you think I should I wait before I just sign my name on a lease? Obviously we don't have to move until October, but since I'm moving 2,000+ miles away, I'd prefer to go straight to an apartment with my name on the lease.
Just an update, I received my final official offer today by email. I completed background check/eQIP paper two weeks ago, my security person did not email me whether i cleared security or not. Two other individuals on the discord have also confirmed that they received an official letter.

I find it shocking that so many people WITHOUT any types of Public Health degrees were selected

I find it shocking that so many people WITHOUT any types of Public Health degrees were selected
PHAP doesn’t specify a public health degree at all. I would even say they emphasize little to no public health experience. Is it really that shocking?

PHAP doesn’t specify a public health degree at all. I would even say they emphasize little to no public health experience. Is it really that shocking?
That people with nothing related to public health got accepted for a PUBLIC HEALTH associate program?