2022-2023 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do they start releasing interviews ??

Members don't see this ad.

When do they start releasing interviews ??
According to CycleTracker, the earliest reported MD interview during last cycle was on September 13th. A few caveats being that there may be earlier IIs that weren't reported (since not a lot of people used CycleTracker last year), also there's no guarantee that this cycle will be exactly the same schedule. Still though, with Harvard being one of the most well-known schools and also many applicants using it as a "reach" school on their applications, they probably have to comb through an inordinate amount of applications. I wouldn't be surprised if they're behind a lot of other schools on sending out invites for that reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to submit the secondary mid- august?
I think an app becomes late when you submit a secondary in October or November. Ivies will do interviews and release all the decisions in March, so they are non-rolling. I think you should be good. Also, check out my profile pic! :D

Reactions: 1 user
I think an app becomes late when you submit a secondary in October or November. Ivies will do interviews and release all the decisions in March, so they are non-rolling. I think you should be good. Also, check out my profile pic! :D
cute profile pic but be sure not to snack after midnight when studying o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just noticed their LoR requirements have 2 science faculty and 1 non-science faculty. I have 4 LoR's but none are from a non-science faculty (just science fac and research PI). Does anyone know if the non-science faculty LoR is a hard requirement? Don't want to waste my money on their secondary if it will auto-reject
Same.. have one science prof who taught me and one science PI.

On their website it says "While we strongly recommend meeting the criteria listed above, these are not strict requirements. Ultimately, the letters applicants choose to include are up to their own discretion. Applicants should choose the letters of evaluation they believe will best support their application." - so I think I'm okay?? Applying anyways. Hope so - fingers crossed

Any older non-trads have advice on how to approach the gap year essay? I've done so much since graduating 1,000 years ago that summarizing my activities would feel like repeating my application. Select a few activities that stand out to me and highlight them? Use all 4,000 characters and go crazy? Thanks for any help, and I understand if it's tough to help. These schools typically accept many more traditional students, so I get that the prompt is not geared toward a fellow like me haha.
So I used up every character LOL. I wove a lot of what I learned and specific details of my jobs into a 1.5 page essay to show skills/competencies I have gained. I included some details on why I am coming back to medicine NOW specifically. I did touch on experiences stated in my AMCAS but did not put any of the info I included into this essay. I then wrote up very specific projects for my HST essay. I know this reply is kinda late in coming but in case anyone else wants to know...

Did people get a confirmation email saying that the entire application (secondaries, LORs, etc.) is complete and under review or nah?

Under what question did you guys explain why you want to go to Harvard?

Under what question did you guys explain why you want to go to Harvard?
I put in specifics about programs/etc that they offer where it felt natural to in my responses but didn't force it or focus on it.

They're Harvard, they know people want to go there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I put in specifics about programs/etc that they offer where it felt natural to in my responses but didn't force it or focus on it.

They're Harvard, they know people want to go there.
Lol would you apply this to the other top schools as well or no

Lol would you apply this to the other top schools as well or no
Depends on the prompts, some (e.g. Mayo) still specifically ask why. Yale didn't, and they were one of the ones I could have said the most about why I want to go there! I just tied in the specifics that they offer with my past experiences and interests.

Depends on the prompts, some (e.g. Mayo) still specifically ask why. Yale didn't, and they were one of the ones I could have said the most about why I want to go there! I just tied in the specifics that they offer with my past experiences and interests.
Also just to confirm, most ivies go by non-rolling so for them its more OK to submit secondaries later right like lets say around labor day weekend

Does the HST program make it harder to get into if you apply to it?

Also is it extra essays?
It's one extra essay (though it's of considerable length). HST and Pathways are just distinct (you can be accepted into neither, one, or both), and it's just based on what you're personally interested in. See Choosing an MD Track.

Current student here. Just got word that interviews will run from Mid Sept to January. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Current student here. Just got word that interviews will run from Mid Sept to January. Best of luck!
88A86381-1737-4845-9DC9-AABF2E505C75.jpeg

Can you ask them to send II tomorrow?

• Haha
I got my II invite Oct 6 and interviewed around the end of the month. I know classmates who got theirs late August to early Sept and interviewed mid to late Sept. I have other classmates who got their II in Dec and interviewed during early Jan. I honestly don't think when you get an II and interview really matter. We truly are non-rolling in nature and it might depend on a number of factors when your app gets read.

Reactions: 5 users
I got my II invite Oct 6 and interviewed around the end of the month. I know classmates who got theirs late August to early Sept and interviewed mid to late Sept. I have other classmates who got their II in Dec and interviewed during early Jan. I honestly don't think when you get an II and interview really matter. We truly are non-rolling in nature and it might depend on a number of factors when your app gets read.
wanted to add my experience, I got mine in early december and interviewed just before christmas

Did you guys max out the char count for your Harvard secondary essays?

Yes, but I’m not expecting a II tbh (3.95, 512, no research, URM). Just applied as a What If?
Same here, maxed em and knew they wouldn't be in touch with good news, but crazier things have happened. You never know what some of these schools are looking for, especially some of the more prestigious ones.

• Care
Did you guys max out the char count for your Harvard secondary essays?
So I actually did not for all of them. I used up every character to describe what I have been doing since graduation since it has been 10 years plus I wrote a very long HST essay. The other ones I wrote about a 1/4 of the character count and did not submit a COVID essay but I sort of regret it now. I submitted this one first and have since written a few good COVID essays. Also not expecting an interview but I would definitely consider writing the COVID essay since I keep running back to that with regrets. The other essay explicitly states not many people will need the space. I used up a 1/4 of it to talk about my demographic/experience as a mom. Good luck!

When do they start releasing II bro

hi HMS, I think you skipped me during this II wave, i'll forgive you this time, but next time idk

thanks,

Reactions: 7 users
Hi! I just got an email from the Harvard Recruitment Office encouraging me to apply. I am semi-high stats (not as high as Harvard usually accepts) 3.9 GPA and 517 MCAT. I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community and a Mexican woman so I guess that is why they reached out. I guess I am just wondering, is it worth it to apply this late with these stats? I am TMDSAS so I don't even have an AAMC application.

Hi! I just got an email from the Harvard Recruitment Office encouraging me to apply. I am semi-high stats (not as high as Harvard usually accepts) 3.9 GPA and 517 MCAT. I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community and a Mexican woman so I guess that is why they reached out. I guess I am just wondering, is it worth it to apply this late with these stats? I am TMDSAS so I don't even have an AAMC application.
Could be automatically sent. For AMCAS, it will be like a $45 charge for the school addition, plus verification and waiting time. For the verification time, I wouldn't recommend it.