2022-2023 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 499, I interviewed Feb 1st. My undergrad science GPA is 3.69. I also completed a post-bacc and graduated with a 3.9
Hope this helps!
Thank you! I'm guessing that invites are over so if so I’ll reapply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The website says “September through April: Interviews are scheduled.” I’m taking that as interview invites can be sent out in April? Like when do interviews actually end for them lol
Yes I believe in previous cycles, IIs have gone out through April. Some even got IIs in May last year. I guess it just depends on how many they expect to accept their acceptance so the class can be filled

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R, OOS complete in Sept

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Just got my pre-II rejection. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
How is Howard’s WL movement? Also when does the WL movement start, if anyone knows?

Last year they said they almost exhausted their entire WL & it seems like the year before that a lot of people were accepted off the WL as well, so I'm keeping hope alive! :)
'

Reactions: 3 users
Do we send our thank you notes directly to our interviewers with the email provided?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same question as above.

I'm an ORM so idk if I have a shot but I do want to attend here

Financial aid packages seem to have gone out for some students if you log into the portal: User Login
Edit: I mean financial aid as in the COA they calculated for how much loans you take.

But still have not received any info on scholarships. Has anyone here heard anything about scholarships yet?

Financial aid packages seem to have gone out for some students if you log into the portal: User Login
Edit: I mean financial aid as in the COA they calculated for how much loans you take.

But still have not received any info on scholarships. Has anyone here heard anything about scholarships yet?
Yes , I received a scholarship early March

• Wow
since aug no II or R, is II over

since aug no II or R, is II over
It is not over, but it has been quite long. I feel you, I feel disrespected not having heard anything by now - I would have rather been rejected by now if that was the case. We have to limit to three schools in a matter of weeks, and commit in less than month, to have a possibility of hearing about an II this month is stressful.

Reactions: 4 users

Their website says they interview through April, and invites are sent approximately one-month prior to anticipated dates, which implies that all of us who are still waiting are probably not getting good news.

They did say on their website that on March 15th, an Interim Email is sent to students who have not been invited to Interview, and that starting then they will send rejections. I did not get any such email so I don't know what is going on with their admissions.

I sent an update a while ago, and their response said "Files are considered until April 2023. If not selected for an interview, release emails are sent around June 2023." Sounds like we are rejected, but just have to wait until June for it to be formally confirmed. I hate this whole process.

Reactions: 4 users
I sent an update a while ago, and their response said "Files are considered until April 2023. If not selected for an interview, release emails are sent around June 2023." Sounds like we are rejected, but just have to wait until June for it to be formally confirmed. I hate this whole process.

Weird. I sent an update also but didn’t get a response back. Also love the username! I made tiramisu for the first time last week

I’m just so frustrated and confused. Why drag this out especially if you’re not sending out anymore interviews? 😭😭

Reactions: 5 users
I’m just so frustrated and confused. Why drag this out especially if you’re not sending out anymore interviews? 😭😭
I kinda lost hope when during one of the open houses it was asked how could we make ourselves more attractive to admissions and adcom was like "you can be a great applicant and just get missed bc of numbers." I been mentally checked out of howard since :)

Reactions: 2 users
I kinda lost hope when during one of the open houses it was asked how could we make ourselves more attractive to admissions and adcom was like "you can be a great applicant and just get missed bc of numbers." I been mentally checked out of howard since :)
Wonderful 🙃🙃

Honestly, that’s every school though, this process is beyond draining and while stats help.. a large extent of the process is luck/blessings lol

Honestly, that’s every school though, this process is beyond draining and while stats help.. a large extent of the process is luck/blessings lol
fair but the tone def rubbed me the wrong way as it didn't address the question at hand at all. At least at other info sessions I was able to get clear advice that I believe ultimately enabled me to be invited to interview (still waiting on decisions). Fingers crossed for Howard but I honestly wouldn't count on it

I think knowing that people will not be getting interview, but just for some arbitrary reason waiting until JUNE to let them know is beyond unacceptable. Lots of schools wait until the end of their interview season to send a mass rejection, but that’s STILL okay. If they don’t interview beyond April, they should reject everyone who hasn’t interviewed as of April.

fair but the tone def rubbed me the wrong way as it didn't address the question at hand at all. At least at other info sessions I was able to get clear advice that I believe ultimately enabled me to be invited to interview (still waiting on decisions). Fingers crossed for Howard but I honestly wouldn't count on it
What clear advice did you get?

Well to be fair this is likely every school, just Howard is straightforward enough to admit it lol. Can you imagine receiving 9000 applications and only being able to give out 400 interviews? At a certain point, you cannot differentiate between different applicants, a lot of the files will look the same, and it honestly will become kind of a lottery. Everyone will try to make themselves stand out and look unique while also trying their best to appeal to the school's values, but there are 8,999 other people trying to do the exact same thing. It is an impossible game to win and while everyone works ridiculously hard and does their absolute best, in the end and after a certain point in the admissions process it is down to the luck of the draw. For all the people that don't get an interview here, please do not forget any of this and do not use it as a reason to think you are any less deserving of being in medical school than someone who was fortunate to receive an acceptance.

Reactions: 5 users
What clear advice did you get?
advice regarding involvement in local communities (what type of involvement) as is aligns with the school's mission, when to submit primaries/ secondaries in the cycle especially as a low stat applicant, some schools weren't worried so much about the diversity of your community service/clinical experience so long as it was consistent and you have a good take away from it, some schools were very transparent and said without a certain gpa/mcat dont bother no matter how impressive your extracirrculars are, others really emphasized the latter and are willing to look past lower than average stats if its clear you were occupied elsewhere. I got some of this info before applying and tailored my application to suit. I arrogantly applied to 2 of the schools who pretty much were like dont bother if u dont have above 3.5 and 510 MCAT and i got zero love.

I think knowing that people will not be getting interview, but just for some arbitrary reason waiting until JUNE to let them know is beyond unacceptable. Lots of schools wait until the end of their interview season to send a mass rejection, but that’s STILL okay. If they don’t interview beyond April, they should reject everyone who hasn’t interviewed as of April.
I think that’s the issue, though, so often we as applicants assume that the cycle is over. Which, for a lot of schools it is, but I know for a fact, Howard was still offering interviews into May last application cycle. Of course, it is very rare, but as much as we like to save our behind… I am sure that howard is trying to do the same thing. They will hold applicants until they know for sure that their application season is over, and that they filled all seats. As annoying of a process as this is, we just have to wait. And by no means, am I supporting this process. Or Howard. Just thought I’d play devils advocate. Cause I can see both ways.

Well to be fair this is likely every school, just Howard is straightforward enough to admit it lol. Can you imagine receiving 9000 applications and only being able to give out 400 interviews? At a certain point, you cannot differentiate between different applicants, a lot of the files will look the same, and it honestly will become kind of a lottery. Everyone will try to make themselves stand out and look unique while also trying their best to appeal to the school's values, but there are 8,999 other people trying to do the exact same thing. It is an impossible game to win and while everyone works ridiculously hard and does their absolute best, in the end and after a certain point in the admissions process it is down to the luck of the draw. For all the people that don't get an interview here, please do not forget any of this and do not use it as a reason to think you are any less deserving of being in medical school than someone who was fortunate to receive an acceptance.
if this entire process wasnt as costly financially / emotionally perhaps I'd have more empathy for the other side. This is coming from someone who is fortunate enough to have the finacial support of parents. I have several friends who have done this alone further pushing themselves into debt. With applicants dishing out literally thousands of dollars the LEAST that can be done is giving pointers on how we can better help ourselves. super frustrating imo tis all

have people on the WL seen movement? I think starting April 17th, people can only hold onto 3 acceptances, but I wanted to see how WL movement has been going so far and/or when we should begin seeing more momentum

if this entire process wasnt as costly financially / emotionally perhaps I'd have more empathy for the other side. This is coming from someone who is fortunate enough to have the finacial support of parents. I have several friends who have done this alone further pushing themselves into debt. With applicants dishing out literally thousands of dollars the LEAST that can be done is giving pointers on how we can better help ourselves. super frustrating imo tis all
I agree! I do believe schools can be better about giving applicants feedback, but I think I meant more specifically for applicants who have great stats, ECs, clinical experience etc., who still get rejected just because there are thousands of applicants who have the same profile. In those cases it's just hard. But also, there are only a few medical schools that I know of that provide one-to-one meetings for rejected applicants with admissions staff, and who will go over your entire application with you and tell you specifically what is missing or how you can boost your chances for the next cycle. I wish they would all offer that, and I do genuinely feel that people deserve that much of their time.

Preach

Should we expect any WL movement after April 17th or just keep our eyes on May 2nd?