2022-2023 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Meisbad for showing us the link to the questions for this year!

2022-2023 NYU - Long Island Secondary Essay Prompts (250 words each response)

NOTE: Questions 1-5 are required; questions 6 and 7 are optional.
All responses have a 250 word limit and must be submitted through the NYULISOM application portal. Any responses submitted by email or via attachment are not eligible for consideration.

QUESTION 1

NYU LISOM offers a direct link to residency into one of four ACGME-accredited residency programs at NYU Langone Hospital – Long Island in fields of medicine that address the primary care needs of the population and physician workforce shortages.
Please select the residency track for which you wish to be considered and reason(s) for your choice – including those experiences (pre-medical, professional or personal) which have confirmed your interest in this area. Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, General Surgery (Choose one)

QUESTION 2

NYU LISOM is committed to training physicians guided by the principles of primary care which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based.
Please tell us how these principles align with your professional goals as a future physician?

QUESTION 3
Among the core competencies expected of entering medical students are the capacity for improvement as well as evidence of adaptability and resilience.
Describe a situation or personal challenge that motivated you to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, re-assess or change your behavior, navigate an unexpected outcome and/or learn from your mistakes.

QUESTION 4 (For this question, you can answer EITHER Option A OR Option B.)

Option A
Problem-based learning (PBL) is a core active learning methodology at NYU LISOM which involves students working together in small groups on clinical case-based problems utilizing:
Self-directed learning:
Self-assessment: Teamwork:
Identifying information needed and thinking critically in applying this information to address the problem
Identifying knowledge gaps or what is not understood about the problem
Assisting peers to integrate and apply knowledge to a given problem as well as being able to learn from peers
Using this framework, please share an example of a problem-solving experience you have encountered in a small-group setting or leadership role which you feel has prepared you to be successful in an active learning environment and why?

Option B
The NYU Long Island School of Medicine seeks to prepare future physician leaders who will be ‘change agents’ in health systems science in domains such as:
  •  Healthcare Policy & Economics
  •  Population and Public Health
  •  Evidenced-based Medicine and Practice
  •  Health System Improvement and Patient Safety
  •  Clinical Informatics
    Which of these domains interests you the most and why? If applicable, please include those aspects of your academic studies, pre-medical, or professional experiences that have informed your interest in the domain you selected.

• QUESTION 5
  • Please provide the response that applies to you
  • - If you are still in school, please tell us your planned activities for the application cycle.
  • - If you have graduated from college, please tell us what you have been doing since that time and your reasons for doing so.
QUESTION 6 (OPTIONAL)
Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record or inconsistencies in your MCAT score; if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college; or any application irregularities about which you wish the admissions committee to know more.

QUESTION 7 (OPTIONAL)
We recognize applicants may have had to overcome significant obstacles or adversity in their lives. If you feel this applies to you, the admissions committee is interested to understand how these experiences may have impacted your personal, educational and/or professional path.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IS secondary received!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the number of students that will be in this year’s class? I remember reading that they plan to expand from 24 to 40 students somewhere but not sure if this has happened yet

"NYU LISOM is committed to training physicians guided by the principles of primary care which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these principles align with your professional goals as a future physician?"

Can I answer this question as a medical student instead of as a future physician?

"NYU LISOM is committed to training physicians guided by the principles of primary care which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these principles align with your professional goals as a future physician?"

Can I answer this question as a medical student instead of as a future physician?
You could. But, I am not sure that's the perspective the question is asking for. I could also be misinterpreting the prompt though.

Has "application eligible for review" always been there or was it "application complete? before?

Not to be rude or anything, I always wonder why people apply to this school if they only matriculate 24 med students. I was considering submitting an app here but I saw that number and decided not to proceed.

• Care
Not to be rude or anything, I always wonder why people apply to this school if they only matriculate 24 med students. I was considering submitting an app here but I saw that number and decided not to proceed.
I almost didn’t apply due to the same thought. Now I’m an MS1 here at NYULISOM. Give yourself a shot!

Reactions: 7 users
I almost didn’t apply due to the same thought. Now I’m an MS1 here at NYULISOM. Give yourself a shot!
@whataweirdo - Question for you, if you don't mind. Is it worth applying to NYULISOM if my goals are not in primary care?

Reactions: 1 users
@whataweirdo - Question for you, if you don't mind. Is it worth applying to NYULISOM if my goals are not in primary care?
You COULD still apply, but this school’s mission is very primary care focused. I would assume if you didn’t mention your passion for primary care throughout your secondary application and at least a handful of times in your primary application, you wouldn’t get much love. A lot of kids here changed their minds on doing primary care once they got here, but again, that was once they were already accepted and matriculated.

Members don't see this ad :)
You COULD still apply, but this school’s mission is very primary care focused. I would assume if you didn’t mention your passion for primary care throughout your secondary application and at least a handful of times in your primary application, you wouldn’t get much love. A lot of kids here changed their minds on doing primary care once they got here, but again, that was once they were already accepted and matriculated.

OP should still apply if they are interested in one of the guaranteed residencies that NYU LI offers. They are looking for students that are best suited to fill these spots which are not all primary care.

OP should still apply if they are interested in one of the guaranteed residencies that NYU LI offers. They are looking for students that are best suited to fill these spots which are not all primary care.
Surgery and OB are the only non-primary care residency tracks here, and even then they consider those tracks as “primary care” tracks here lol. Basically what I’m saying is you have to mention primary care in your app here in one way or another.

I disagree—my app makes no primary care mention, but is heavily surgery-focused. I interviewed last cycle
But this specific school considers surgery as part of their whole mission, so that makes sense, does it not?

Guys I was just reading through last years SDN thread for NYULISOM and first II went out 8/17... hoping for good news this week!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Guys I was just reading through last years SDN thread for NYULISOM and first II went out 8/17... hoping for good news this week!!!
that was meeeee 😃😃😃 (idk why i still lurk these threads im sorry its a fun break from studying)

that was meeeee 😃😃😃 (idk why i still lurk these threads im sorry its a fun break from studying)
bro i literally read the entire thread 😫 I felt like i was reading the most riveting book ever. Also manifesting that I am u this year hahahah

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
bro i literally read the entire thread 😫 I felt like i was reading the most riveting book ever. Also manifesting that I am u this year hahahah
LMFAOOO i had the most insane cycle here. got “accepted”, waitlisted, then accepted again when i thought all hope was lost💀💀💀

Does anyone know the number of students that will be in this year’s class? I remember reading that they plan to expand from 24 to 40 students somewhere but not sure if this has happened yet
That plan was in 2019 however they seem to have moved away and plan to matriculate 24 again this year.

I just got my first secondary! I am literally shaking right now. Holy smokes. I didn't expect this.

First II! IS ORM complete in late July, Lizzy M ~74

II today!! Complete 7/7, IS, ORM, LM 70

• Love
II OOS yesterday. LM 75.

Does anyone know if this school is expanding its class from 24 to 40 this year? No ties to the area so I'm nervous that my chances for this school are pretty slim.

Last edited:
II OOS yesterday. Complete 7/11. LM 75.

Does anyone know if this school is expanding its class from 24 to 40 this year? No ties to the area so I'm nervous that my chances for this school are pretty slim.
I don't think they are planning on expanding :/

@flymflam314 Thanks! I realized the question had already been asked on this thread after I posted. Maybe NYU LI can help me work on my reading skills lol :rofl:

• Haha
Hi, everyone. IS with II! I did some sleuthing on the process last night from the previous two cycles thread, and thought I'd put this together....I don't know if will it be accurate for us, but as a history lesson ..

Interview → within 4-6 weeks after, apps were flat out rejected or moved into the next applicant "pool" (lots of jargon, top pool, candidate pool, final pool, hard to suss out if they changed language throughout the cycles TBH)

In February (likely around the 15th/16th) is when they'll send out their first Accpetances. People get WL/R either that day, some days later.

Waitlist:
°In 2020 14/24 matriculants came from the waitlist (that means 14 accepted students rescinded their A*)
°In 2021 6/24 matriculants came from the waitlist

*They can only accept as many students as they have residency spots for. So someone has to decline the offer for the WL to move up.

Many students said the MMI/game was the best experience they had on the application trail. No details because those interviewed signed NDAs.

For acceptances, students either got a call or a text message ("hi, its the dean of XYZ.... call me"). For WL/R it has an email.

Lots of portal glitches in the past with unaccessible tabs appearing such as "offer" and the like, that didn't seem to align with admissions outcomes- so, take a tech glitch for what they are.

Student mixer thing before interview is like business casual, most men were not wearing suits but some where (seemed like the exception)

in 2021 (previously said 2022, thank you Chipotlemayo7 for catching this!), 30 accepted students (6 declined, 6 from waitlist) / 510 interviews = post interview acceptance rate of 5.88% (can't different IS/OOS bc WL state status is unknown)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'll play along... I love a good history lesson :love:

The data from MSAR (I see the same numbers you're quoting right now on the database) are from 2 cycles ago. Not the last cycle (aka the entering class this year) but the entering class of 2021. This is NYULI's class of 2024 and the 2020-2021 app cycle. They conducted 510 interviews for class of 2024, but who knows how many they interviewed last cycle.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many stations there are and how many minutes we get per station? I could not find this information on their portal or their website.

Does anyone know how many stations there are and how many minutes we get per station? I could not find this information on their portal or their website.
According to a user on reddit from 3 years ago, there are 7 7 minute stations and 1 14 minute traditional station.

Hey if anybody knows, how was the interview experience from last year. I know everyone signed NDAs but generally was it chill, not chill, etc. Just general.