2022-2023 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
sitting here clicking refresh on my inbox like a little rat in one of those behavior reward studies

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I'm curious if anyone's gotten a R or WL this week... awfully quiet compared to last year's thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
WL! They did mention that it's smaller than in recent years, which is nice.

• Care
can anyone post a bit about what the waitlist email said? I'm curious hahah – from a rejected rejectttt

If someone gets a WL and is accepted at another medical school, how does that work? I know some here have acceptances elsewhere? Do you have to give up your acceptance or can you take the A and then swap if you get off the WL?

If someone gets a WL and is accepted at another medical school, how does that work? I know some here have acceptances elsewhere? Do you have to give up your acceptance or can you take the A and then swap if you get off the WL?
accept your A and you can switch later.

can anyone post a bit about what the waitlist email said? I'm curious hahah – from a rejected rejectttt
basically that we should know by around May 3rd whether our WL will convert to an A and that the WL is smaller than recent years, apparently we get a live update in April as well

WL here too! Does anyone have a sense of how large the waitlist is or has been in previous years?

Got the waitlist as well! I think last year about 40 people were taken off eventually. Does anyone know how many people were initially waitlisted last year?

Just wanted to say I got the A via email! Good luck to all and thanks for all the updates from the forum. Very blessed to have been accepted.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone remember what Dean Rivera said about how LOI are viewed by the admissions committee? I assumed I was gonna get rejected LOL so I did not take good notes :(

Does anyone remember what Dean Rivera said about how LOI are viewed by the admissions committee? I assumed I was gonna get rejected LOL so I did not take good notes :(
IIRC he said the only time they can have any effect is basically an issue of some schools forcing people to choose "Plan to Enroll" vs. "Commit to Enroll". If a waitlisted candidate gets an A, he'll look to see if they've chosen Plan or Commit at their other school, if he sees they've chosen plan, he'll send the A. If he sees they've chosen Commit, he'll then look in their file to see if there's a letter of intent. If there isn't, he assumes the candidate is set on the other school and won't send the A. If he sees a LOI even if someone has chosen commit at another school, he'll send them the A. Based on what he said the actual decision is entirely independent of the LOI though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
IIRC he said the only time they can have any effect is basically an issue of some schools forcing people to choose "Plan to Enroll" vs. "Commit to Enroll". If a waitlisted candidate gets an A, he'll look to see if they've chosen Plan or Commit at their other school, if he sees they've chosen plan, he'll send the A. If he sees they've chosen Commit, he'll then look in their file to see if there's a letter of intent. If there isn't, he assumes the candidate is set on the other school and won't send the A. If he sees a LOI even if someone has chosen commit at another school, he'll send them the A. Based on what he said the actual decision is entirely independent of the LOI though.
thank you queen/king!!!

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? Could we call and find out our position?

This might be a silly question but if it isn’t ranked, how do they determine who gets off of it? Is it random or based on the applicant’s profile compared to those with an A who withdrew their spot?
My understanding is same too

This might be a silly question but if it isn’t ranked, how do they determine who gets off of it? Is it random or based on the applicant’s profile compared to those with an A who withdrew their spot?
does this mean if I'm female ORM and another female ORM drops their spot I'll be considered to take it? There has to be some sort of ranking right?

does this mean if I'm female ORM and another female ORM drops their spot I'll be considered to take it? There has to be some sort of ranking right?
During my infoessession Dean Rivera said there's no ranking and people are chosen to replace people with similar profiles and experiences. So probably instead of female ORM replacing female ORM they'd consider additional factors and it'd end up being more akin to female ORM with high stats and a heavy focus in research replaces another female ORM with high stats and a heavy focus in research that dropped out.

• Hmm
My understanding is same too
Per a post from last year's thread (which gave info from Dean Rivera's end-of-April waitlist webinar), the individual who is offered an acceptance off the waitlist is determined by assessing the profile of the individual who withdraws from the incoming class.

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there was in recent years? I’ve seen references to 30 people but that seems way too high. Also, does anyone think a letter of intent is helpful if NYU is truly your first choice? Thanks for your input.

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there was in recent years? I’ve seen references to 30 people but that seems way too high. Also, does anyone think a letter of intent is helpful if NYU is truly your first choice? Thanks for your input.
According to AAMC, 40 out of 250 ppl from WL got accepted in 2021-2022 cycle. I think Dean Rivera said that LoIs don't really make a difference because he knows everyone wants to come to NYU lol