2022-2023 South Dakota (Sanford)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary received yesterday afternoon (8/2). OOS with strong ties to SD.
  1. Given the mission statement of the school, please explain how your experiences and long-term goals would help meet the mission. (1500 characters)
  2. Given the diversity statement of the school, explain how your background and experiences with diversity will bring value to the school. (1500 characters)
  3. Describe how your experiences in health care or social care activities will help you become a good physician. (1500 characters)
  4. Briefly describe a crisis or significant challenge in your life, how you have worked through the crisis or challenge, and what you have learned from this experience. (1500 characters)
  5. What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to a medical school this year or after several applications? (1500 characters)
  6. Please use this space to update the information contained on your AMCAS application (i.e. grades in recent courses; alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation; additions to your extracurricular activities) or anything else you want the committee to know. (1500 characters)
  7. For repeat applicants only. Since your last application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Please note any relevant academic, employment, clinical and personal experience. (1500 characters)
  8. For non-South Dakota residents applying to the regular MD program – please describe your ties to South Dakota. (1500 characters)
  9. Please share and explain any disruptions/hardships in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (5000 characters)
  10. Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; how the pandemic has affected your outlook on the role of medicine. (5000 characters)
  11. Knowledge and skill are crucial, but why should a physician be kind? (5000 characters)
@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Original interview date I was invited for was in early November but I have a conflict so they moved me to early December

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone in this thread interviewed in previous years and/or could provide some information on what to expect during interview day?

Has anyone in this thread interviewed in previous years and/or could provide some information on what to expect during interview day?
I interviewed last year, it is two separate interviews in the afternoon (you'll get the names of your interviewers ahead of time), in the morning it is a break down of I believe curriculum and finance stuff if I remember correctly

Interviewed December 9th, anyone else on this thread also interview December 9th and what did you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, I interviewed here last year as well. I felt like my interviewers this year were a better fit.

Yeah I liked my interviewers, I felt sort of exhausted by the second interview

Any MD/PhD students on here? I applied MD/PhD and am interviewing early Jan just want to know what your experience was like! Thank you :)

Does anyone remember the date of their adcom meeting and when decisions might be out?

Okay cool. I see we’re all freaking out about the same thing. PHEW!

Wonder when we’ll hear.

Did a little digging and in previous years people began posting about A, WLs, and Rs on or around today (Monday prior to Christmas) so I am hopeful we can all get some good news today/soon before the holidays!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know how the pended pool differs from the WL? Are people already on the WL or does that not happen until after March 5th?

Does anybody know how the pended pool differs from the WL? Are people already on the WL or does that not happen until after March 5th?
From my understanding everyone is either accepted or pended initially. Pended means they will look at all pended applicants at the last admissions committee meeting March 5th and send out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections to all the pended pool.

Is anybody familiar with Vermillion? Do most medical students live in Vermillion during pillar one or commute from surrounding town/cities? So far, I’m not seeing a lot of options with rentals but hopefully that changes by spring.

can anyone remember if adcom met this weekend and if that means we will be getting news today?

can anyone remember if adcom met this weekend and if that means we will be getting news today?
That was the information put out at the Dec. 9th interviews, that ADCOM was on the 28th. And it has typically been the following Monday when they have emailed those decisions. Good luck!

Me too. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted yet.
Each time the ADCOM meets before their final meeting in March, they either don't accept anyone or accept 1-4 "no-brainer" students. 2/3 of the committee had to give the highest vote to the student for them to get accepted right away instead of pended. I know two students who have been accepted so far, but the rest of us should hear on March 6th. Good luck :)

Each time the ADCOM meets before their final meeting in March, they either don't accept anyone or accept 1-4 "no-brainer" students. 2/3 of the committee had to give the highest vote to the student for them to get accepted right away instead of pended. I know two students who have been accepted so far, but the rest of us should hear on March 6th. Good luck :)
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated

Appreciate the info!

I know the meeting was earlier today and our fate is already sealed, but good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone hear anything yet? How many of us are just sitting here refreshing this page waiting for some word that the email is there? Just me? 😬

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear anything yet? How many of us are just sitting here refreshing this page waiting for some word that the email is there? Just me?

Exact same here. Nothing yet.

the silence is becoming deafening, I am so anxious 😰

Hey there, new to this forum. I am waiting for anything at all from SSOM right now. I got pended last week so supposedly today should be when I hear back. I'm guessing I will hear from them at 1:30 CST because that was around the time I heard from KansasCOM last week, but that's just my guesstimate.

Hey there, new to this forum. I am waiting for anything at all from SSOM right now. I got pended last week so supposedly today should be when I hear back. I'm guessing I will hear from them at 1:30 CST because that was around the time I heard from KansasCOM last week, but that's just my guesstimate.
Welcome! And thanks for the input. What I have gathered from conversations with a few who have applied before is, historically, SSOM has usually put out emails in the morning (09-11-ish), but there's never been a consistent time. Here's to hoping for 1330!

I don’t think my email can withstand another refresh.

Edit: if I get one more email that isn’t an application update… 🤯

Reactions: 5 users