2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will it hurt to email a dean of admissions directly with a letter of intent than sending to the generic admissions email? Thanks

I know about someone it’s worked for. I’d say to go ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How important are the dates on LORS? I asked my biochem prof to update the date of my letter to reapply and was told he will not. That I have to wait a year and think about whether I want to pursue medicine (or if medicine is even interested in me). That none of his students have had to apply more than twice (ouch). If I wait a year my MCAT will expire and I’ll be years away from my W/A.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
How important are the dates on LORS? I asked my biochem prof to update the date of my letter to reapply and was told he will not. That I have to wait a year and think about whether I want to pursue medicine (or if medicine is even interested in me). That none of his students have had to apply more than twice (ouch). If I wait a year my MCAT will expire and I’ll be years away from my W/A.
Do not use this letter!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Question for adcoms- the CTE date for my backup school is nearing but I'm still on the WL for my top choice. A student at my top choice told me they think you can switch schools after CTE to one (like you are ABLE to) bc the AAMC traffic rules just say "Making an offer of admission to an applicant who has already matriculated at another school could result in the other school having an unfilled slot in its class. Each school is encouraged to take reasonable measures, including asking applicants under consideration whether they have already matriculated at another medical school, and carefully consider that information when deciding whether to make an offer to an applicant." This gives the idea you can switch schools until matriculation aka attending orientation (not considering ethics)

Is this true that you can switch to school B after CTE to school A or incorrect?

This gives the idea you can switch schools until matriculation aka attending orientation (not considering ethics)

Is this true that you can switch to school B after CTE to school A or incorrect?
The AAMC does not enforce the traffic rules.
Asking a school to break rules on your behalf is not a good look, but there is no law keeping you from trying it.
If school A discovers that you are doing this, it is grounds to rescind an acceptance or scholarship, though.

Last edited:
  • Love
At this point, is there any hope? The CTE deadline is July 10 for the school I got into. But I’m waitlisted at my dream school in Texas. And I’m an OOS student for Texas.

At this point, is there any hope? The CTE deadline is July 10 for the school I got into. But I’m waitlisted at my dream school in Texas. And I’m an OOS student for Texas.
You got into a medical school!
Count your blessings and look for housing.
60% of applicants would love to trade places with you.

Reactions: 7 users
You got into a medical school!
Count your blessings and look for housing.
60% of applicants would love to trade places with you.

Of course! I’m definitely grateful for what I do have!

It’s the uncertainty that’s getting to me though.

I’m on the waitlist at 5 schools. I sent my letters of intent/internet in may and I’ve sent emails to admissions saying I’m still interested. Now what do I do? Call? More emails? Email different people ?

I don’t have any updates, honestly I quit my job

• Care
I’m on the waitlist at 5 schools. I sent my letters of intent/internet in may and I’ve sent emails to admissions saying I’m still interested. Now what do I do? Call? More emails? Email different people ?
You have done everything in your power.

Reactions: 4 users

I don’t have any updates, honestly I quit my job
I almost sent in a 3rd LOI today right—I called the school first and asked if I’m doing too much and they said “You can send in as many as you want!!!” and I just decided to let it go and rest. You’ve done what you can. I’m wishing you luck and I hope you can come back here to share good news.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
How are we all feeling? I also had a quick question. The school I am waitlisted at had their CTE deadline today. Is it safe to assume that I should be moving on (I already submitted my reapp and everything so I’m prepared)

How are we all feeling? I also had a quick question. The school I am waitlisted at had their CTE deadline today. Is it safe to assume that I should be moving on (I already submitted my reapp and everything so I’m prepared)

No one knows for sure but in this case, I would say you are better off moving on and starting afresh by submitting your reapp. Schools do and can accept applicants after their CTE deadline, but those instances are far and few. You would simply benefit from getting your reapp on the way and you can always withdraw should any offers be made. You’ve made it this far. Believe in that you are just as qualified as any other candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one knows for sure but in this case, I would say you are better off moving on and starting afresh by submitting your reapp. Schools do and can accept applicants after their CTE deadline, but those instances are far and few. You would simply benefit from getting your reapp on the way and you can always withdraw should any offers be made. You’ve made it this far. Believe in that you are just as qualified as any other candidates.
Already submitted my reapp 6/12 so I’m ready for the new cycle as well 🤠

My WL school’s CTE deadline is this coming Friday 6/23…I was told recently that there are only a few ahead of me on the waitlist. Think the WL will move a few by Friday??

My WL school’s CTE deadline is this coming Friday 6/23…I was told recently that there are only a few ahead of me on the waitlist. Think the WL will move a few by Friday??
They actually told you your place on the WL??????????????????

Here you go!

Attachments

• MSAR_Application_Timeline_03.21.23.pdf
    274 KB · Views: 226
Has anybody withdrawn their 2024 AMCAS after getting off a WL but still hasn’t received any refund? I withdrew last Monday but still have nothing. Wondering if I should call or if this is normal

Has anybody withdrawn their 2024 AMCAS after getting off a WL but still hasn’t received any refund? I withdrew last Monday but still have nothing. Wondering if I should call or if this is normal
i don’t see anything about them doing refunds on their website

I believe the general fee is not refundable but if you paid extra $$ to send your app to schools they may refund that portion

The school I was waiting for had their CTE deadline yesterday, if I don’t hear anything back today should I move on? (since post-CTE acceptance offers are much rarer)

I just got accepted to the school I was waiting for while I was at the gym! Throwing up, crying, screaming!! Good luck everyone, I really hope everyone receives good news🩷🩷🩷🩷

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 37 users
I just got accepted to the school I was waiting for while I was at the gym! Throwing up, crying, screaming!! Good luck everyone, I really hope everyone receives good news🩷🩷🩷🩷
brb, going to the gym

edit: also, congrats!!! :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
Is it recommended to call a school that is my top choice/that I'm waitlisted at? My CTE deadline for the school I am currently going to is coming up next week.

Is it advisable to call a school that is my top choice/that I'm waitlisted at? My CTE deadline for the school I am currently going to is coming up next week.
You have nothing to lose at this point.

If schools are looking to fill up any more spots, is it safe to assume it will more likely be individuals without any other acceptances?

If schools are looking to fill up any more spots, is it safe to assume it will more likely be individuals without any other acceptances?
If they do not have a rank ordered waitlist and it is very close to the start of school, and those without acceptances are comparable to those with acceptances... yes.

If they do not have a rank ordered waitlist and it is very close to the start of school, and those without acceptances are comparable to those with acceptances... yes.
That makes sense. The CTE deadline passed for USF last Friday and I’m still on the waitlist and it’s unranked. I submitted my reapp already, what should I do going forward (sent my LOI in April)

That makes sense. The CTE deadline passed for USF last Friday and I’m still on the waitlist and it’s unranked. I submitted my reapp already, what should I do going forward (sent my LOI in April)
You've done everything possible.

Accepted off my only wait-list yesterday, over a week after the CTE! Was almost done pre-writing secondary essays too, so glad I decided to wait before paying to send my verified primary to the rest of the schools on my list. It really isn't over until classes start! Hopefully there's more movement left for everyone here still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 27 users
Accepted off my only wait-list yesterday, over a week after the CTE! Was almost done pre-writing secondary essays too, so glad I decided to wait before paying to send my verified primary to the rest of the schools on my list. It really isn't over until classes start! Hopefully there's more movement left for everyone here still waiting!
A huge congratulations! Did you do anything in terms of updates that you think helped?

I never want to hear anyone lecture me about patience ever again in my entire life 😢

If Waitlifting was a sport, I’d be a Slow-lympic athlete. If I starred in an action movie, it’d be called Admission: Impossible — Ghost, Do Not Call. Adcoms got me sitting on the bench so long, they’re calling me Dwyane Wait. Letter of Intent so desperate, they removed me from their nursing program’s mailing list. Update letter looking so thin I had to rub some Rogaine on my keyboard. They ask what I wanna specialize in, I tell em slow down let’s talk about what I wanna generalize in. Accepted students complaining about imposter syndrome, meanwhile I got not-on-the-roster syndrome 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
I never want to hear anyone lecture me about patience ever again in my entire life 😢

If Waitlifting was a sport, I’d be a Slow-lympic athlete. If I starred in an action movie, it’d be called Admission: Impossible — Ghost, Do Not Call. Adcoms got me sitting on the bench so long, they’re calling me Dwyane Wait. Letter of Intent so desperate, they removed me from their nursing program’s mailing list. Update letter looking so thin I had to rub some Rogaine on my keyboard. They ask what I wanna specialize in, I tell em slow down let’s talk about what I wanna generalize in. Accepted students complaining about imposter syndrome, meanwhile I got not-on-the-roster syndrome 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
@wintercactus, that was so clever and hilarious!
The process of getting to and through medical school is absolutely an exercise in delayed gratification.
Keep your humor about you because sometimes you can only laugh instead of cry.
I hope you are swooped off a waitlist soon but if not, make a comeback. :thumbup:

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
A huge congratulations! Did you do anything in terms of updates that you think helped?
Thanks!! It was a ranked waitlist, no updates allowed. I wish I had more advice to give, it was just pure luck in this case.

I can say, in preparing for next cycle, reaching out to all schools that rejected me and asking for feedback was critical. On top of giving extremely useful advice both about essays/interviews and about how this process looks from their perspective, a couple meetings I had ended up connecting me with other programs I didn't know existed.

I don't think I've ever felt as hopeless as I did while reapplying, and at the very least those meetings helped me make sense of where I failed and where I needed to improve. There's some truly wonderful people in these admissions offices, even if the process itself is so, so awful.

Hey everyone, just a quick question that I hope someone has the answer to. This week is commitment date for me. (CTE). I know it says it'll drop you from WL on aamc, but the school themselves don't. Are you able to CTE and if accepted somewhere else go there instead? Is there a punishment?

Hey everyone, just a quick question that I hope someone has the answer to. This week is commitment date for me. (CTE). I know it says it'll drop you from WL on aamc, but the school themselves don't. Are you able to CTE and if accepted somewhere else go there instead? Is there a punishment?
If you don't commit to your "now" school you will lose your spot there definitely.
Clicking the CTE button you are stating you will drop your WLs.

my time on the WL is officially over, the new class is started :( big sad

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Congratulations !!!

Still waitlisted at a TMDSAS school as an OOS applicant. Haven’t received any responses to my emails about my waitlist status. No CTE, since it’s a Texas school. Is there still a chance?