2022-2023 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Mediocre_Reapp99 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Wisconsin Secondary Essay Prompts
  1. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay. Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here. Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)
  2. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of UWSMPH. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow’s physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this mission. (250 words)
  3. Many inequities exist at the intersection between health outcomes and historical, societal, economic, or other systemic factors. Choose a broader issue or policy that impacts health outcomes where you believe change is needed to advance health equity. Discuss the role you hope to play as a physician in addressing this issue. (250 words)
  4. In a paragraph (200-300 words), please share how COVID-19 impacted your application in the following domains:
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine).

Required Essay for Re-applicants to UW-Madison:
Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.) (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Listed as "Optional Essays," but I am not sure if they are actually optional?? @wysdoc

1. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay. Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here. Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)
  2. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of UWSMPH. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow’s physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this mission. (250 words max.)
  3. Many inequities exist at the intersection between health outcomes and historical, societal, economic, or other systemic factors. Choose a broader issue or policy that impacts health outcomes where you believe change is needed to advance health equity. Discuss the role you hope to play as a physician in addressing this issue. (250 words max.)
  4. In a paragraph (200-300 words), please share how COVID-19 impacted your application in the following domains:
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine).

There is also an essay for those who are reapplying to UW-Madison!

Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Listed as "Optional Essays," but I am not sure if they are actually optional?? @wysdoc

2. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of UWSMPH. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow’s physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this mission. (250 words max.)
  3. Many inequities exist at the intersection between health outcomes and historical, societal, economic, or other systemic factors. Choose a broader issue or policy that impacts health outcomes where you believe change is needed to advance health equity. Discuss the role you hope to play as a physician in addressing this issue. (250 words max.)
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life

There is also an essay for those who are reapplying to UW-Madison!

Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words.
looks to me as if the first one is optional but the rest are expected?

IS non traditional planning to apply to UW. How cut throat are they with IS MCAT scores/retakes.

Anyone else see the message about how if you mark yourself considered "in-state" you don't submit til Aug. 25th? What's that about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else see the message about how if you mark yourself considered "in-state" you don't submit til Aug. 25th? What's that about?
It's because of a weird Wisconsin law, and UWSMPH has to abide by it 💁‍♂️

For the COVID essay, are we expected to address ALL academic, volunteer, research, work, AND personal life, or just those that are applicable to us?

For the COVID essay, are we expected to address ALL academic, volunteer, research, work, AND personal life, or just those that are applicable to us?
This one seems super explicit so I will prob address all of them while trying to maintain my overall narrative

Thank you! Also what are people writing if COVID did not cause a blow to academics? Just that?

Anyone OOS having trouble submitting? Weird 404 error keeps popping up...

IS non traditional planning to apply to UW. How cut throat are they with IS MCAT scores/retakes.
They are by no means cut throat regarding scores. As long as it’s not something that will raise a flag about future performance, they care a lot more about your activities and aligning with their mission.

So just to confirm, in-state applicants cannot submit the whole secondary before Aug 25th?

I think I can read right but this just feels so wrong ; |

Or is it just the residency form?
I called them and they confirmed this. Can't hit submit until the 25th for in staters

We go to culvers for fish friday's and drink spotted cows. Isn't that enough for a WI resident verification

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone know more about their humanities/social sciences intensive writing requirement? Maybe I should email them to get more clarification but I am not sure if I have a course from my undergrad or masters that meets that requirement.

Should I be concerned that I haven't received a secondary yet? I pass their screening qualifications and this is my dream school 😭

How long did it take you to receive your secondary after your primary was transmitted? Mine is taking awhile and I'm getting nervous

is UW oos friendly to other midwest states, should i apply or is it too late with a 509 and 3.7

i applied 7/30 with a 508, 3.6 undergrad, 4.0 masters, OOS. agree, you should apply!

Last edited:
Does anybody know what time of day in-states can submit our apps tomorrow? Or maybe midnight tonight? ; )

Reactions: 1 users
Just submit in the morning. I highly doubt that they stratify based on time submitted.

My understanding was that you're considered a resident if you've been a bona fide resident of WI for 12 months prior to the start of classes (matriculation). The residency application asked if you classify as a resident 12 months prior to the date of submission of the secondary (8/25). Any ideas about this? can you be classified as a resident if you've been a resident for 12 months but only before start of classes?

My understanding was that you're considered a resident if you've been a bona fide resident of WI for 12 months prior to the start of classes (matriculation). The residency application asked if you classify as a resident 12 months prior to the date of submission of the secondary (8/25). Any ideas about this? can you be classified as a resident if you've been a resident for 12 months but only before start of classes?

According to 36.27(2)(e)1 you can still be classified, but you must have factors that prove or disprove your intent to reside in Wisconsin including, but not limited to, timely filing of a Wisconsin income tax return of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, self-support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, physical presence in Wisconsin for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester or session for which the student register.

It makes sense since the residency form asked, "Do you have a W.I. driver's license?" They said the registrar would confirm residency status first, so if there are any problems, you'll have a chance to straighten things out with the registrar.

I haven't lived in Wisconsin in a decade but still have a surviving parent resident, and I also answered "NO" to that question. I am confident it will work out!

The residency FAQ made it seem like they would reach out to us in an e-mail to confirm residency if needed.

Good luck to all the IS applicants applying!
Also - anyone else applying to the WARM program?

According to 36.27(2)(e)1 you can still be classified, but you must have factors that prove or disprove your intent to reside in Wisconsin including, but not limited to, timely filing of a Wisconsin income tax return of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, self-support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, physical presence in Wisconsin for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester or session for which the student register.

It makes sense since the residency form asked, "Do you have a W.I. driver's license?" They said the registrar would confirm residency status first, so if there are any problems, you'll have a chance to straighten things out with the registrar.

I haven't lived in Wisconsin in a decade but still have a surviving parent resident, and I also answered "NO" to that question. I am confident it will work out!

The residency FAQ made it seem like they would reach out to us in an e-mail to confirm residency if needed.

WARM applicant here as well. Submitted secondary today

Interesting. Havent lived in wisco since 2016. However, born and raised in wisco and still have my driver license. Didnt realize how extensive it was.

Interesting. Havent lived in wisco since 2016. However, born and raised in wisco and still have my driver license. Didnt realize how extensive it was.
I also should add I graduated from a WI high school which is necessary for that residency exception.

WARM applicant here as well. Submitted secondary today
Super excited to see another hopeful rural MD! There hasn't been much talk about the WARM program specifically since 2018-2019ish. Best of luck to you!

Do we think IIs will start this week?? Or maybe next??

They just tweeted 5 minutes ago that they have not sent any II out yet. Their twitter is super helpful - suggest you give it a follow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-085224_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-085224_Chrome.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Y'all, I am a low stat OOS but this is my top school so I am what one would call stressed, this application cycle is going to be a long one

I'm just another applicant like y'all this cycle, but I currently work at the SMPH so if I can answer questions about the location/area/anything I do know I'd love to be helpful!

I'm just another applicant like y'all this cycle, but I currently work at the SMPH so if I can answer questions about the location/area/anything I do know I'd love to be helpful!
ill take you up on that if i miraculously get an interview!

• Haha