APPIC Internship Phase II Interview & Support Thread (2023)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychqueen12

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for those of us going into phase II. I thought it may be helpful for support, advice, and updated info on interviews and notifications. We got this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Did the phase II faculty members present differently during interviews from those in phase I? Like more chilled? Thank you!

Did the phase II faculty members present differently during interviews from those in phase I? Like more chilled? Thank you!
My phase 1 interviews were generally pretty chill. Yes, many of them had to ask me specific questions and some others asked questions that seemed like they developed them on their own, but I don't think any interviewers were particularly intense or not chill. Maybe just luck of the draw or the specific kinds of sites I picked?

Were yours not chill?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was performing interviews, I generally approached them the same as for Phase I. Although we understood that the applicants had much less time to review sites and know about specific experiences they might want.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished submitting my applications earlier today (Wednesday). Feeling a little queasy and can't sleep. I can't wait to be on the other side of this process.

Is there a Google Sheet to update info like Phase I?

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished submitting my applications earlier today (Wednesday). Feeling a little queasy and can't sleep. I can't wait to be on the other side of this process.

Is there a Google Sheet to update info like Phase I?
Congrats! I am feeling similarly. It’s such an exhausting process.
I haven’t seen a sheet but would love to contribute if there is one. Or I wonder if we could request to add a phase 2 column to the main spreadsheet?

Congrats! I am feeling similarly. It’s such an exhausting process.
I haven’t seen a sheet but would love to contribute if there is one. Or I wonder if we could request to add a phase 2 column to the main spreadsheet?
I created a tab for Phase II "PHASE II SITES & INTERVIEWS". I didn't have the bandwidth to remove the Phase I sites. If anyone is so inspired please feel free.

I created a tab for Phase II "PHASE II SITES & INTERVIEWS". I didn't have the bandwidth to remove the Phase I sites. If anyone is so inspired please feel free.
Hi-- please don't remove any Phase I tabs. It contains valuable info for next year's cohort of applicants :)

Hi-- please don't remove any Phase I tabs. It contains valuable info for next year's cohort of applicants :)
The Phase I rows remain on the original tab. It doesn't matter at all what we do to this new tab that was just created.

I submitted at like 3am on Feb 23 and the application status of my applications still remains "Received" instead of "Complete". Is that it will just need more hours to process the application and forward that to the sites?

I submitted at like 3am on Feb 23 and the application status of my applications still remains "Received" instead of "Complete". Is that it will just need more hours to process the application and forward that to the sites?
I would reach out to the site and check on the status of your applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
The anxiety and anticipation are seriously disrupting my productivity.

Same... I have one interview scheduled, but I am waiting on the others. I saw on the google form that one site I was interested in reached out to people to schedule an interview. Should I assume that means they do not want to interview me?

Good luck everyone! I went through Phase II and preferred it to Phase I.

Same... I have one interview scheduled, but I am waiting on the others. I saw on the google form that one site I was interested in reached out to people to schedule an interview. Should I assume that means they do not want to interview me?
If only to clear your mind of extraneous clutter.

Not necessarily as this is one area where Phase 2 can potentially differ from Phase 1.

Since some sites make Phase 2 interview invites on a rolling basis (especially if they are not holding a formal interview day with panels and such), there is less pressure to get everybody scheduled ASAP.

Hope you receive some good news!

Official Site Name: Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): No Track, but Neuro Emphasis
Date Invitation Received: 2/25 @ 1:30PM MST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personalized email
Interview Dates Offered: March 9th or 10th 12:30pm-4:30pm

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same!!!! Especially now that people are starting to get interviews and I haven't received anything. This whole process is horrible

Same!!!! Especially now that people are starting to get interviews and I haven't received anything. This whole process is horrible
They will come! Based on the spreadsheet the vast majority of sites have not sent out invites yet! We gotta stay positive! It'll be over soon

They will come! Based on the spreadsheet the vast majority of sites have not sent out invites yet! We gotta stay positive! It'll be over soon
Yeah, it's just tough because some of the places I applied to already sent out invitations and I didn't get any.

Yeah, it's just tough because some of the places I applied to already sent out invitations and I didn't get any.
That is tough and I understand. Same thing happened with me and I had a dream last night that I matched with one of those that didnt send me an invite.. I guess this process is really getting to me

Official Site Name: Ohio State University Psychiatry & Behavioral Health
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Health Psychology track
Date Invitation Received: 3/1 @ 10:00AM MST
Interview Dates Offered: Will contact to schedule 3 Zoom faculty interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Ohio State University Psychiatry & Behavioral Health
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Health Psychology track
Date Invitation Received: 3/1 @ 10:00AM MST
Interview Dates Offered: Will contact to schedule 3 Zoom faculty interviews.
Lol, one of the few programs I didn't get an interview invite from.

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University of Colorado School of Medicine
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Depot Hill Integrated Primary Care
Date Invitation Received: 3/1 @ 3:20PM MST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: Schedule Zoom faculty meetings via Signup Genius.

Last edited:
That is tough and I understand. Same thing happened with me and I had a dream last night that I matched with one of those that didnt send me an invite.. I guess this process is really getting to me
Same!!! I'm having the weirdest dreams and for sure this whole process has taken a toll on my mental health.

Is it possible that many sites will send out notifications early next week? Now it is going very slowly but it is already near the end of Thursday. But how could they accommodate everybody's schedules if they only send out interview offers next week?

Official Site Name: Ancora Psychiatric Hospital
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Date Invitation Received: 3/2 @ 1:45PM MST
Interview Dates Offered: 3/9 @ 1pm EST

Official Site Name: Hawaii Psychology Internship Consortium (HI-PIC)
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Mental Health Division
Date Invitation Received: 3/2 @ 4:55PM MST
Interview Dates Offered: 3/13 - 3/15

Is anyone aware of how many interviews are needed to match in Phase II typically?

I doubt that Phase II apps are still open, but if anyone is open to hearing it for PMVS, Conemaugh Memorial in Johnstown, PA is a good site for Health Psych that is regularly overlooked. Rotations are in: Oncology, Bariatrics, Inpatient Psych, Rehab, Family Medicine, and the Supervision of Medical residents.

How to interpret if no one has heard from the site by the end of 3/6? Is it likely that they are actually not processing any applications for phase II because they are too busy???

How to interpret if no one has heard from the site by the end of 3/6? Is it likely that they are actually not processing any applications for phase II because they are too busy???
My only experience with Phase 2 is during internship, whebn my site had 2 unfilled spots.

Our TDs immediately began looking at apps and coordinating with current interns to connect us with applicants to get more info about the site so unless a site is pausing internship training next year, my guess is that unfortunately you didn’t receive an interview from this site.

Feel free to f/u by email if it’s a place that you’re very interested in. Good luck!

At this point I prefer to receive a rejection rather than so frustratingly waiting...

I get that but not only me, no one has said that they heard from that site about that particular position by the end of 3/6. I also emailed the TD's but no replies yet. Thus I am super worried that they might just decide not to recruit for that particular position because they were overwhelmed by the number of applications that they have received for phase II this year.
Hmmm, that's frustrating. However, I highly doubt it's because the site received too many applications.

Let's say 200 people applied for a single spot. The APPIC portal allows the TD to sort via top line stats like # hours and # integrated reports and also by other groupings such as degree type and home program. Even if they were totally crunched for time, the TD could spend seconds to a handful of minutes to generate a top 5/10/etc list based on valued criteria to review and see if those people could be a fit for interviewing.

If they are truly radio silent, I think it's more likely there are behind the scenes factors such as a site deciding that they would actually prefer to leave their unmatched spots unfilled. Or more serious things are being worked out such as if the site can host interns at all.

I don't know if being "overwhelmed by the number of applications" is really a factor. An internship supervisor I know said that their TD and other supervisors have evaluated many great applications for Phase II, but it's a health psych track position and most of the applicants are clearly neuropsych-focused people. They are trying to decide whether they should should accept one of these applicants even though they generally don't have the health psych background or real interest or if they should just go with one fewer interns for the next year.

I don't know if being "overwhelmed by the number of applications" is really a factor. An internship supervisor I know said that their TD and other supervisors have evaluated many great applications for Phase II, but it's a health psych track position and most of the applicants are clearly neuropsych-focused people. They are trying to decide whether they should should accept one of these applicants even though they generally don't have the health psych background or real interest or if they should just go with one fewer interns for the next year.
Do you know if there will be negative consequences for the site if they leave that spot unfilled?

Do you know if there will be negative consequences for the site if they leave that spot unfilled?
Not to my knowledge (at least from APPIC). A site could make every attempt possible but still not fill their spot or have a compelling reason to essentially withdraw from Phase 2 so it would be unfair/unwise to punish solely for unfilled slots.

Where issues arise (e.g., accredidation status threathened) are when the day to day functioning of the training program does not meet APPIC/other standards. Or if a site officially matches with intern(s) but then reneges on that commitment, which is a major no-no.

My VA site had a Phase 2 spot during my internship year. They did interviews but ultimately decided there was not a good fit so that spot went unfilled that year (details are likely a little fuzzy). But VA internship training is basically 100% by the book so if they had to scramble and fill the spot, they would have.

There could potentially be internal issues for not filling internship spots regularly (e.g., does the insitution want to continue to support committing resources to training?) but that is not APPIC dependent.

Not to my knowledge (at least from APPIC). A site could make every attempt possible but still not fill their spot or have a compelling reason to essentially withdraw from Phase 2 so it would be unfair/unwise to punish solely for unfilled slots.

Where issues arise (e.g., accredidation status threathened) are when the day to day functioning of the training program does not meet APPIC/other standards. Or if a site officially matches with intern(s) but then reneges on that commitment, which is a major no-no.

My VA site had a Phase 2 spot during my internship year. They did interviews but ultimately decided there was not a good fit so that spot went unfilled that year (details are likely a little fuzzy). But VA internship training is basically 100% by the book so if they had to scramble and fill the spot, they would have.

There could potentially be internal issues for not filling internship spots regularly (e.g., does the insitution want to continue to support committing resources to training?) but that is not APPIC dependent.
Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm I wonder why do sites even bother to go to Phase II then? It looks like it would be much easier and less work for the site to just do Phase I. Many people have commented before that it's such a hassle for the sites to review all apps, conduct interviews, worry about filling their spots....and oftentimes hiring a intern means losing money because they can't bill for the services interns provide, etc. etc. It just sounds like training interns is a burden to them....

But would it be so unfair that they have their unfilled position posted for phase II on APPIC webpage but they actually do not want to review applications to that position without letting APPIC know that they withdraw? I mean that just wastes the applicants time on submitting their applications (we need to submit all applications within six days!!!). I am okay with the sites deciding not take anyone after finishing the interview process. But I feel that is a problem if they don't even schedule interviews for that position. It looks like APPIC just doesn't care? I suspect that at least for 3 of the positions that I applied to there have been no interview offers sent out based on the Google spreadsheet (these 3 sites are very popular and many people keep an eye on it). I could just have applied to other sites rather than wasting time on these 3 positions. I am really furious about such slack responsibility.

There are many applicants that are not on SDN updating the spreadsheet.

I think that would be so random that people have tracked their interview offers for all the VA positions for those sites but no one has mentioned that they have received interview offers for all their non-VA positions. These sites usually receive 100+ applications. If APPIC is overseeing and making sure that these sites are scheduling interviews for each position, I would believe that. But now there is NO ONE overseeing this phase II process and sites could just be whatever slack they want without any punishment. This is not fair for the applicants without enough transparency and supervision.

Are you saying that a site should be forced to take applicants from the pool if there are none that they deem a good fit?

So they are so lucky that for all their VA positions they all have great candidates but for their non-VA positions they don't like anyone from the pool? Not to say that someone who received their offer for the VA position said that they did not hear from them about the non-VA position that they also applied to yet. These sites are super popular and they usually receive 100+ applications even for phase II. That's okay that sites do not take anyone from the pool. I know there could be 1000 unknown factors behind it. But without supervision and transparency, how to prevent this from happening to the applicants? Do you think this is an equally fair process for both sides?

The funding structure between VA and non-VA is HUGELY different. The VA is incentivized to fill those positions no matter what. And yes, I do think this is a fair process fundamentally.

I agree with you that the VA is incentivized to fill those positions. Thus I suspect that they only review applications to their VA positions and give up filling the non-VA positions without bothering notifying APPIC in advance. That's fine that you think it is a fair process. I am not trying to argue about anything. But I hope there is more supervision on this process without trusting that every site is responsible and diligent (I can see that your site is very responsible for making decisions for phase 2 based on your descriptions, but not every site is like this). Phase 2 is a super fast process and if the site does not have good organizations or whatever they could quickly miss the timeline, but it is the applicants who swallow the negative consequences of their slackness.

I am no longer at a site at the moment, I think you are responding to another poster. I have no experience in Phase II as a faculty. We always matched in Phase I for our spots. I'm just not sure where adding multiple regulation and extra steps to Phase II accomplishes much. Under no circumstance should we force sites to take applicants that they do not rank nor do they feel is a great fit. It's a huge financial and time cost to take interns, and no one should be forced to do so.

Hmmm I wonder why do sites even bother to go to Phase II then? It looks like it would be much easier and less work for the site to just do Phase I. Many people have commented before that it's such a hassle for the sites to review all apps, conduct interviews, worry about filling their spots....and oftentimes hiring a intern means losing money because they can't bill for the services interns provide, etc. etc. It just sounds like training interns is a burden to them....
I'm not a training director or have enough background process info so I don't know if every site that has unmatched spots from Phase 1 automatically participates in Phase 2 (or is required to regardless of site preference) or if each program has to specifically affirm their preference or withdraw from further participation.

If it's the former, that's less than ideal and would put unorganized/disinterested programs in a position to receive applications that take a lot of time which may not be considered.

If it's the latter, then these sites are likely still reviewing applications in good faith and with due diligence but potentially not extending many/any interview offers based on how their application review process goes. I'm sure there are exceptions (but hopefully not too many since I've found people interested in training to be some of my favorite professionals in our field but that's my bias).

The best case scenario is that a site finds applications from people who could have matched with the site in Phase 1 had they applied/ranked the program, do a handful of interviews, and match with one of those people.

The worst case scenario is that a site only receives applications from interns that they don't believe would be a good fit for their training program and don't offer any interviews or submit any Phase 2 ranks, which sucks for applicants.

As far as transparency goes, there will always be some inherent lack of transparency (why somebody received an interview versus somebody else who didn't, why an applicant ranked site A but not site B, etc). I agree that more transparency such as if a site is no longer considering Phase 2 interviews, that should be made public to inform people and potentially save Phase 2 application time.

I'm not a training director or have enough background process info so I don't know if every site that has unmatched spots from Phase 1 automatically participates in Phase 2 (or is required to regardless of site preference) or if each program has to specifically affirm their preference or withdraw from further participation.

If it's the former, that's less than ideal and would put unorganized/disinterested programs in a position to receive applications that take a lot of time which may not be considered.

If it's the latter, then these sites are likely still reviewing applications in good faith and with due diligence but potentially not extending many/any interview offers based on how their application review process goes. I'm sure there are exceptions (but hopefully not too many since I've found people interested in training to be some of my favorite professionals in our field but that's my bias).

The best case scenario is that a site finds applications from people who could have matched with the site in Phase 1 had they applied/ranked the program, do a handful of interviews, and match with one of those people.

The worst case scenario is that a site only receives applications from interns that they don't believe would be a good fit for their training program and don't offer any interviews or submit any Phase 2 ranks, which sucks for applicants.

As far as transparency goes, there will always be some inherent lack of transparency (why somebody received an interview versus somebody else who didn't, why an applicant ranked site A but not site B, etc). I agree that more transparency such as if a site is no longer considering Phase 2 interviews, that should be made public to inform people and potentially save Phase 2 application time.
I think you meant to respond to another poster.