2023-2024 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UC Davis Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Optional: Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report.(500 characters)

2. Optional: Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? (500 characters)

3. Activities: Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. The secondary activities may be used to highlight your experiences specifically relevant for UC Davis. You may use your most meaningful experiences listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis.
Please only list three. The admissions committee will review all AMCAS application activities as well; this an opportunity to highlight your most meaningful and/or relevant to UC Davis School of Medicine.

Prompt for activities: Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters each activity)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of California Davis School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will we have a better chance at getting accepted if we are interested in some of the programs on their secondaries but not all of the, or should I say I am interested in all of them despite being interested in a few programs?

Will we have a better chance at getting accepted if we are interested in some of the programs on their secondaries but not all of the, or should I say I am interested in all of them despite being interested in a few programs?
If you are interested in a few and can explain why that would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping to get accepted here and apply for the accelerated primary care pathway!

If anyone has the secondary questions for 2023-2024 please share!
Not out yet, to my knowledge. They do screen out applications without Northern California bias so it could be a few days to weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Received email acknowledging submission of application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Detailed article about UCD SOM today in the NY Times. Talks about their formula for admission (including getting a score of 0 if you have physician parents. Goodness.)

Detailed article about UCD SOM today in the NY Times. Talks about their formula for admission (including getting a score of 0 if you have physician parents. Goodness.)

Well yes, your disadvantage score might be zero but the rest of your attributes won’t be.
UC Davis is also unique in taking almost no OOS students.

@kath00 if it makes you feel better, I have physician parents and am not disadvantaged and got waitlisted last cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone post the prompts🙏

For the secondary activities section, what exactly is an "evidence of accomplishment?" One of the activities that I am involved in is clinical employment and so could I use my work timesheets as evidence?

So my guess is those who got an email saying primary received are still in review? or it is screen out already since some got secondary?

So my guess is those who got an email saying primary received are still in review? or it is screen out already since some got secondary?
Hey, be more patient everyone!
Their office has to process primaries and send out secondaries and they just got your primaries 2 working days ago!

Probably still under review. It takes time to screen the applications, and its still really early into the cycle.

I am a current MS3 at UCD. There are a lot of people in my class with physician parents. Our class is very diverse, not just in race/ethnicity. Also, in terms of OOS, I am 1 of 6 OOS students in my class. Connections to the area and experience working with disadvantaged communities helps, but OOS is not common.

It can take a long time for secondaries to go out, and they are not necessarily sent out to applicants in order of when their primary was received. So someone applying in August could get a secondary before someone applying in July. Until you get a rejection, you just have to be patient. Davis sends out secondaries July to December.

Reactions: 6 users
For the secondary activities section, what exactly is an "evidence of accomplishment?" One of the activities that I am involved in is clinical employment and so could I use my work timesheets as evidence?
do you mind posting the prompts please?

Reactions: 5 users
@wysdoc Secondary Recieved IS! Prompts:

1. Optional: Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report. (500 characters)

2. Optional: Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? (500 characters)

3. Activities: Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. The secondary activities may be used to highlight your experiences specifically relevant for UC Davis. You may use your most meaningful experiences listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three. The admissions committee will review all AMCAS application activities as well; this an opportunity to highlight your most meaningful and/or relevant to UC Davis School of Medicine.

Prompt for activities: Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters)

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, just got the secondary. How should I answer the participation in UC Davis sponsored programs? I volunteer in the Mind Institute.

I got the secondary here as well. Absolutely love this school, fingers crossed my application and goals resonate with them. :giggle:

Secondary Recieved! ORM in state LM 70. This school has always been a dream, crossing fingers.
Does anyone know how the unit conversion thing works? If I have a semester based course that gave me 3 credit hours, how would I convert it?

Secondary Recieved! ORM in state LM 70. This school has always been a dream, crossing fingers.
Does anyone know how the unit conversion thing works? If I have a semester based course that gave me 3 credit hours, how would I convert it?
See the AMCAS guide

I am a little confused about prompt #3...

Activities: Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. The secondary activities may be used to highlight your experiences specifically relevant for UC Davis. You may use your most meaningful experiences listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three. The admissions committee will review all AMCAS application activities as well; this an opportunity to highlight your most meaningful and/or relevant to UC Davis School of Medicine.

Prompt for activities: Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters)

So is it 500 characters PER activity x 3 (so 1500 total)?

Thank you!

I am a little confused about prompt #3...

Activities: Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. The secondary activities may be used to highlight your experiences specifically relevant for UC Davis. You may use your most meaningful experiences listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three. The admissions committee will review all AMCAS application activities as well; this an opportunity to highlight your most meaningful and/or relevant to UC Davis School of Medicine.

So is it 500 characters PER activity x 3 (so 1500 total)?

Thank you!
Yup that’s right. 500 per activity, and 3 activities. You get one box for each activity.

How are you guys doing the prerequisite units? It says "Refer to the conversion guide above", but does that mean 1 quarter would be 2.67 units? (8 units in a year / 3 quarters?) Or should I just put the actual number of units like what's on my transcript?

Does UC Davis only read the three selected activities, not the rest on the primary application?
Their secondary app states, "You may use your most meaningful experiences listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three. The admissions committee will review all AMCAS application activities as well; this an opportunity to highlight your most meaningful and/or relevant to UC Davis School of Medicine."

So sounds like they'll also read the rest on our primary!

Also ORM IS verified 6/29, secondary received on 7/5.

For the publication, is just adding the DOI or PMID acceptable? With only 500 char it seems that the full link would be a waste of space, especially since the citation was listed on my primary app and I have more than one pub.

Could you by any chance post the secondary prompts for the special programs? ARC-MD, TEACH, etc.
Rural-PRIME (Rural Program in Medical Education) Program

Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program. (500 chars max)

Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community. (500 chars)

TEACH-MS (Transforming Education and Community Health for Medical Students) Program

Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities. (500 chars)

Describe your future plans to serve as a primary care physician leader. (500 chars)

ACE-PC (Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care) Program

Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care. (500 chars)

REACH (Reimagining Education to Advance central California Health) Program in Medical Education?

Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in California's central valley. (500 chars)

Tribal Health PRIME

What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? More specifically, what involvement have you had with tribal communities/populations? (500 chars)

ARC-MD (Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors)

Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD) is a five (5) year honors pathway that mentors students who envision a career as research faculty in a medical school or who want to use research and quality improvement methods to improve health in their community. These students are drawn from diverse backgrounds and committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. That research may include basic-translational research, clinical-translational research, community engaged research, or policy and advocacy. Prior research experience or related activity as an undergraduate is preferred. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research will play a role in your career as currently envisioned. (500 chars)

• Love