2023-2024 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As someone from South Texas idk if i’m even gonna turn in this secondary. The regional bias is kind of insane.
Not every school will be a fit for every applicant- in TX we’re just used to applying to all the TMDSAS schools.
The regional focus is intentional, not insanity :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
2023-2024 UT Tyler Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Answer these checkbox questions:
  • I have direct ties to the East Texas region (born, graduated high school, community college, undergraduate, etc.)
  • I have indirect ties to the East Texas Region (family members, in-laws, visited East Texas frequently, attended summer camp in East Texas, etc.)
  • I have ties to a rural region with similar characteristics to the East Texas region (size, demographics, health disparities, etc.)
  • I do not have ties to the East Texas region; however, I’m interested in practicing in this area after graduation.
  • I do not have ties to the East Texas region but am still interested in attending the UT Tyler School of Medicine.
2. Are you a reapplicant? Yes/No

3. Are you a reapplicant to UT Tyler SOM? Yes/No
If yes, What have you done between the last application cycle to make your application stronger? (no character limit)

4. Why are you interested in applying to UT Tyler’s SOM? (500 words)

5. Describe any experiences/information you have in/about East Texas as it relates to our Mission Statement. (500 words)

6. Please share with the committee what unique skills, experiences, and/or qualities/characteristics and/or ideas you may have/possess that will help you contribute to the mission of UT Tyler School of Medicine if selected for the class. (500 words)

7. Please review the SOM Values and select the value that most resonates with you. Explain why. (500 words)

8. Optional question (highly recommend): Please use this space to share with the committee any additional information that may help us evaluate your candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere in the application. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Just so you know, question 1 has a box that pops up for you to explain if you have any ties to East Texas or a similar region:
"Our mission is to improve the quality of life and reduce health disparities in our rural East Texas region. Please indicate (select one) your connection to East Texas as outlined in our county map and explain below"

Reactions: 1 user
Just so you know, question 1 has a box that pops up for you to explain if you have any ties to East Texas or a similar region:
"Our mission is to improve the quality of life and reduce health disparities in our rural East Texas region. Please indicate (select one) your connection to East Texas as outlined in our county map and explain below"
Yes, I am aware of their map of E Texas and E Texas-adjacent counties :)

Some applicants might feel this regional focus "is not fair".

From their point of view, they are trying to train doctors who would love to stay and settle down in this region and practice.

OK, here comes the "plain-spoken Texan" part: What they don't want is med students who will be miserable and complaining about it their whole 4 years, just waiting for the chance to get the tarnation out of there and go back to a hip big city.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am aware of their map of E Texas and E Texas-adjacent counties :)

Some applicants might feel this regional focus "is not fair".

From their point of view, they are trying to train doctors who would love to stay and settle down in this region and practice.

OK, here comes the "plain-spoken Texan" part: What they don't want is med students who will be miserable and complaining about it their whole 4 years, just waiting for the chance to get the tarnation out of there and go back to a hip big city.
Oh, I wasn't pointing out the map! I just copy and pasted that quote from the secondary website haha. I was trying to tell you that question #1 has a mini 250-word essay along with the checkboxes asking the applicant to explain the boxes they checked off on #1.

1687223960393.png

Reactions: 1 users
The DUET Scores have not been updated on the status tab. Anyone know what's going on, or is it just a matter of time until they are updated.

The DUET Scores have not been updated on the status tab. Anyone know what's going on, or is it just a matter of time until they are updated.
I did DUET like 3 weeks ago and it's updated for mine

I did DUET like 3 weeks ago and it's updated for mine
Wait I took CASPer and DUET at the same time but only my CASPer scores show up in the portal. Should I ask admissions?

I've recently started working full-time in Houston, Texas (since October 2022). Would this count as having direct ties to East Texas because I work here? Or would this fit more under indirect ties, as I don't know the area as well as some born Houstonians but I've lived here for a nearly a year?

I've also heard that Houston is not exactly considered "East Texas", but I believe Houston is classifed as East Texas on the map they give so I'm not entirely sure what to make of that

I've recently started working full-time in Houston, Texas (since October 2022). Would this count as having direct ties to East Texas because I work here? Or would this fit more under indirect ties, as I don't know the area as well as some born Houstonians but I've lived here for a nearly a year?

I've also heard that Houston is not exactly considered "East Texas", but I believe Houston is classifed as East Texas on the map they give so I'm not entirely sure what to make of that
Hi! So I was confused about this too at first but I realized the map shows counties in East Texas. So it’s talking about Houston county not the city, I believe.

Reactions: 3 users
I am from Dallas, Tx and have absolutely no ties to East TX. Is it even worth applying? I completely understand the regional bias and am not opposed, just do not want to waste my time because the secondary is sooo long.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Dallas, Tx and have absolutely no ties to East TX. Is it even worth applying? I completely understand the regional bias and am not opposed, just do not want to waste my time because the secondary is sooo long.
people got in this year with no ties. if you have passion for primary care or rural medicine, you could still be in the running

Wait I took CASPer and DUET at the same time but only my CASPer scores show up in the portal. Should I ask admissions?
Did you ever reach out to anyone about this? Having the same issue.

Did you ever reach out to anyone about this? Having the same issue.
Yes, I did. I emailed admissions, and they told me that Duet scores will be received by the end of this week. So hopefully, this means that they mark it as complete in the portal.

Just received info that my app is complete.

Is Houston city considered part of East Texas? I have strong ties to Houston but I don't know if it's a stretch to say I have strong ties to East Texas.

Google says Houston is part of East Texas, but the map on UT Tyler' page doesn't show Harris county

Attachments

• 1687630556087.png
    1687630556087.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 79
Is Houston city considered part of East Texas? I have strong ties to Houston but I don't know if it's a stretch to say I have strong ties to East Texas.

Google says Houston is part of East Texas, but the map on UT Tyler' page doesn't show Harris county
Pretty sure UT Tyler doesn't consider Houston in their range, as it is a huge medical center and they are more focused on the underserved areas of northern/east TX

I would say Houston does not count as well. I would just check and see if you have ties in the counties they specifically present in the map.

I can confidently say that Houston does not count. The map says “Counties”, it is not by city.

Dallas is 2.5 hours away from Tyler and doesn’t count. Not that distance is the defining factor, but Houston is about 4.

Someone asked this a few comments above as well.

Last edited:
I can confidently say that Houston does not count. The map says “Counties”, it is not by city.

Dallas is 2.5 hours away from Tyler and doesn’t count. Not that distance is the defining factor, but Houston is about 4.

Someone asked this a few comments above as well.
@cranberrylimeade have there been any stats as to how many they took year 1 who have no affiliation? I assume some admitted in year 1 are from Dallas and Houston.

@cranberrylimeade have there been any stats as to how many they took year 1 who have no affiliation? I assume some admitted in year 1 are from Dallas and Houston.
recently they publicly stated that 95% of the class had ties! i posted the interview either in this thread or the 22-23 one in May.

recently they publicly stated that 95% of the class had ties! i posted the interview either in this thread or the 22-23 one in May.
“if you were to look at the 40 students in this first class, something like 34 of them are from Smith County and our surrounding counties. There are a couple, a few students, a handful of students, six or so, that are from more distant areas like Dallas. Everyone’s from Texas. Every one of our students in the new med school are people from Texas but just a few from outside the region. But every single one of those who are outside the region, they have deep ties, family members, parents, someone here in East Texas.”

Seems like if you’re from Dallas you better have some strong ties!

I'm going to self-screen myself from this school. They fit my mission of offering a medical degree, but after trying to write their secondaries...I realized I didn't fit their mission at all!

Reactions: 3 users
two questions for @wysdoc

1. can we expect the MSAR to be updated for their first class anytime soon? you may not know but just in case you remember from previous new schools.

2. do we have an interview feedback link for UTT?

two questions for @wysdoc

1. can we expect the MSAR to be updated for their first class anytime soon? you may not know but just in case you remember from previous new schools.

2. do we have an interview feedback link for UTT?
I'm surprised MSAR hasn't been updated. The admissions offices have until end of March (usually) to send in updates, but they can update during the cycle as necessary (leadership or policy change, etc.).

I'm surprised MSAR hasn't been updated. The admissions offices have until end of March (usually) to send in updates, but they can update during the cycle as necessary (leadership or policy change, etc.).
they have it updated with 23-24 dates but not demographics of the first class

INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY! i could cry.

edit: Complete 6/22. Was waitlisted last year & this remains my top choice so I’m hopeful.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

edit: Complete 6/22. Was waitlisted last year & this remains my top choice so I’m hopeful.
Congrats! Ended up not completing the secondary due to their regional focus, but I'm wishing you all the best!

• Love

edit: Complete 6/22. Was waitlisted last year & this remains my top choice so I’m hopeful. There’s interviews until Jan again with 2-3 dates a month starting in August.
Congrats!!!

• Love
Here are the interview dates and times for the cycle:

Tuesday, August 1, 20228:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Saturday, August 12, 20228:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Tuesday, August 29, 20228:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Thursday, September 14, 202212:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, September 26, 20228:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Thursday, October 12, 202212:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Saturday, October 21, 20228:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Thursday, November 9, 202212:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Thursday, November 16, 202212:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Thursday, December 14, 202212:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, January 9, 20238:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Best of luck to y'all!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
What is the interview process?
Day of? Last year we were split into two groups but they're doing 4 this year so I'm assuming each day is the 24 people: one did the group activity first (teamwork eval) and the other did the MMI, then we went to an info session going over curriculum and such.

Hi! International applicant. And new forums. Why there big difference between number of girls accepted to this medical school and boys? What reason behind this?

I received OOS secondary on June 28th. I have indirect ties to East Texas but that was not indicated in my primary application. I did speak about my aunt having to travel hundreds of miles for her care in my personal statement. That is a big problem in East Texas as far as I understand and that may have resonated with them. Not sure why I got a secondary based on the quote from the dean in this thread. (520 MCAT 3.89 GPA, 24M, White, Fluent in Spanish; for context.)

Day of? Last year we were split into two groups but they're doing 4 this year so I'm assuming each day is the 24 people: one did the group activity first (teamwork eval) and the other did the MMI, then we went to an info session going over curriculum and such.
Since you are in the very first batch of people to be called, you should be considered a strong applicant. Please prepare well for the interview the two interview formats.

congrats!!!!!!! do you have ties to east tx?
Graduated UTT undergrad, worked healthcare here for 5 years + throughout COVID.
Since you are in the very first batch of people to be called, you should be considered a strong applicant. Please prepare well for the interview the two interview formats.
I was in the first batch last year, too, so my fingers are crossed!

Hi! International applicant. And new forums. Why there big difference between number of girls accepted to this medical school and boys? What reason behind this?
They do gender-blind admissions. The committee never sees you or your gender or even your name. They didn't even know how many they had until it was submitted for match per a friend who's higher up.

They do gender-blind admissions. The committee never sees you or your gender or even your name. They didn't even know how many they had until it was submitted for match per a friend who's higher up.
Huh. That sounds very egalitarian and all @cranberrylimeade but doesn’t the in-person interview kind of break the code?

Huh. That sounds very egalitarian and all @cranberrylimeade but doesn’t the in-person interview kind of break the code?
Interviewers are not part of the admissions committee, they just receive feedback from them. Interviewers are faculty from the med school & undergrad. They do screen for conflicts though so we aren't interviewing with our chem profs haha

i agree that the strategy is kinda imperfect. i have a few extracurriculars that make me identifiable without any of the factors i mentioned.

Last edited:
Graduated UTT undergrad, worked healthcare here for 5 years + throughout COVID.

I was in the first batch last year, too, so my fingers are crossed!
I dont think they knew what they were doing last year. I expect them to be more streamlined this year with a year of practice.

Thanks to you explaining. I sure they all great. Just not sure as male if I need apply. I rural medicine focus and like school mission.