2023-2024 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
weird question, but with a class size of 55. How many people do you think the algorithim has to filter through to fill out the rest of the class? I was predicting that on match day RGV has 20-25 spots to fill and the computer probably goes through around 50ish people to fill them.

Members don't see this ad.

weird question, but with a class size of 55. How many people do you think the algorithim has to filter through to fill out the rest of the class? I was predicting that on match day RGV has 20-25 spots to fill and the computer probably goes through around 50ish people to fill them.
Probably more than 50, just from browsing this forum I have noticed a lot of people rank UTRGV below multiple other schools on their lists. I would guess it’s probably closer to 200 if I just had to guess. Also, not everyone who prematched here will attend plenty of ppl will rank other schools higher or lower. But we will never know tbh

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

Reactions: 5 users
1 and only tmdsas MD ii here. no match today. Hopeful for some waitlist movement (if there is one).
Glad to have an OOS DO acceptance in hand, but still holding on to hope with this school IS. Best of luck to everyone today and congrats to those who matched. Looking forward to being done with this 2nd cycle of mine lol.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
1 and only ii here. no match today. Hopeful for some waitlist movement (if there is one).
Glad to have an OOS DO acceptance in hand, but still holding on to hope with this school IS. Best of luck to everyone today and congrats to those who matched. Looking forward to being done with this 2nd cycle of mine lol.
Hey same here! Only ii and no match. Also hoping for some waitlist movement. Have an ii at incarnate word in april, but I'm hoping for RGV

Members don't see this ad :)
1 and only tmdsas MD ii here. no match today. Hopeful for some waitlist movement (if there is one).
how do we have the same experience lol

Hey friends, this was also my only ii with no match today. RIP. Does anyone have any information on how UTRGV's waitlist works? Several of my friends who didn't match to other tmdsas schools received waitlist emails from their schools this morning by 8:30am, but only silence on my end. Has anyone heard anything?

Hey friends, this was also my only ii with no match today. RIP. Does anyone have any information on how UTRGV's waitlist works? Several of my friends who didn't match to other tmdsas schools received waitlist emails from their schools this morning by 8:30am, but only silence on my end. Has anyone heard anything?
i would love to know this too

I think I saw on last year's thread some ppl didn't get the WL email until the week after match. So maybe it'll be similar
Also, if iirc, at the group interview they said everyone was on the WL right?

Reactions: 1 user
I think I saw on last year's thread some ppl didn't get the WL email until the week after match. So maybe it'll be similar
Also, if iirc, at the group interview they said everyone was on the WL right?
yes they said that

2 cycles ago, my buddy was notified 2 weeks after match day that he was on the wait list!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS here and still radio silence...sigh the waiting is killing me!!

IS WL. Do all non-matched students get on the waitlist? How much of a death sentence is this really?

Waitlist! Fingers crossed! 🤞🏼

OOS Waitlist as well! How does this work? Are they waiting to see how many IS accept? When will we know??!

At this moment the class is full, today was our TMDSAS Match Day.
If currently accepted folks withdraw from UTRGV to accept another offer they prefer over the next weeks and months, people will be selected from the WL to fill the gaps
Maximum # of OOS enrollees is 5 or 6

Gathering some info for a friend:

1) What kind of waitlist movement does UTRGV usually see?

2) Is it a ranked list?

3) If it’s unranked does anyone have anecdotal evidence that reaching out w a LOI was beneficial?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Gathering some info for a friend:

1) What kind of waitlist movement does UTRGV usually see?

2) Is it a ranked list?

3) If it’s unranked does anyone have anecdotal evidence that reaching out w a LOI was beneficial?

Thanks for any info!

The waitlist is divided into three sections that are given designations of A, B, and C rankings.

This according to: https://www.utrgv.edu/som/admissions/_files/documents/application-process.pdf

I cannot speak to the other two questions though.

I don't think anyone was told what ranking they were at for the waitlist, and nothing on the portal as far as I know. Now it's just a waiting game

I don't think anyone was told what ranking they were at for the waitlist, and nothing on the portal as far as I know. Now it's just a waiting game
No TMDSAS school is going to tell you the inner workings of their WL or your position on it.
I expect there will be a good number taken in from the UTRGV WL but not this soon , so , more waitin’

maybe a question that no one really knows the answer... but how likely is it for an out of stater to get off the waitlist??

maybe a question that no one really knows the answer... but how likely is it for an out of stater to get off the waitlist??
5 or 6 OOS students per year, so one of them would have to withdraw for an OOS person to get in from the WL.
There will be WL action at this school, but probably not for a month or so.

Reactions: 2 users
do yall know which apartments the med students usually live at?
Edinburg is home to the undergrad campus as well, so there are tons of apartment buildings. You could look in Edinburg or North McAllen to find one you like. There’s little public transit to speak of so you will need a car

Can you live on campus? Are there dorms/apt for the medical students or all independent apt/housing there?

how many students normally get off the waitlist does anyone know?
MSAR says 25, which is almost half the class. I reckon when action picks up over the next few months, there will be plenty of movement here

Reactions: 2 users