2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello dear friends, I have a question for the experts. I was venting to a friend of mine who is an M3 at a school I am not WL at and was told to contact a member of the admissions committee to get my name out there. During their cycle the M3 got the opportunity to set up a zoom call to discuss their application and basically talk about how they would be an asset to the medical school class. They felt like the face-to-application helped them get off the WL. They also contacted their interviewers with a LOI as well. They attend a school in the south with a small class size (idk I just feel like that’s important).

I’ve never heard of that being done before. And that it would do nothing at best or hurt me at worst. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know each school is different, but in general would it be fair to assume the bulk of WL movement has already occurred as May wraps up?

Reactions: 1 users
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance email/call from one of my 2 waitlists today!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello dear friends, I have a question for the experts. I was venting to a friend of mine who is an M3 at a school I am not WL at and was told to contact a member of the admissions committee to get my name out there. During their cycle the M3 got the opportunity to set up a zoom call to discuss their application and basically talk about how they would be an asset to the medical school class. They felt like the face-to-application helped them get off the WL. They also contacted their interviewers with a LOI as well. They attend a school in the south with a small class size (idk I just feel like that’s important).

I’ve never heard of that being done before. And that it would do nothing at best or hurt me at worst. Thoughts?
This would be highly unusual. How did this person get this opportunity? Was this during COVID when everyone in admissions would be panicking about how many in the incoming class of 2020 would show up?

This would be highly unusual. How did this person get this opportunity? Was this during COVID when everyone in admissions would be panicking about how many in the incoming class of 2020 would show up?
They sent me a screenshot of the email as a template. It entailed all I said above and at the end asked for time to set up a zoom call to further discuss their candidacy. They should’ve graduated this year but took a year off so I believe it was the cycle right before Covid hit.

Since it’s unusual would you suggest I stay away from n=1 situations like this? At this point I’m desperate but because I have yet to hear of something like this occurring I don’t want to get in trouble.

I know each school is different, but in general would it be fair to assume the bulk of WL movement has already occurred as May wraps up?
Yes, from here on out we are basically competing over scraps. Especially if it's a big name school :(

Reactions: 2 users
Today is the day! My revision of my personal statement is almost complete, but I won't need it as I will be hearing back from my top choice today!

Did this school tell the WL'd that this was ok?
I just asked to confirm—but based on the conversation, I don’t believe they had prior permission. It appears they shot their shot and it landed I guess.

Is there a CTE deadline for TAMU? I can’t seem to find one anywhere.
their MSAR info

Acceptance Information​

Acceptance notice - earliest date sent
October 16, 2023
Acceptance notice - latest date sent
June 07, 2024
Maximum allowed time for an applicant’s response to an offer
Two weeks depending on time of year.

I would conclude maximum time to respond to their offer, if recent, is 2 weeks.

If you are not holding an A&M offer right now, you could still get a WL offer any time another OOS candidate drops A&M for another school, until A&M starts orientation the first week of July.

Last edited:
It appears they shot their shot and it landed I guess.
This would have landed them...elsewhere, where I work!

Perhaps it was an unusual situation? The day before orientation with an unexpected deferral?

So is most WL movement over at this point? Or will there be another wave in early June? I'm so tempted to call the admissions office at my WL school to inquire, but am worried I might come across as annoying and impatient. It just sucks waiting and waiting and waiting... ;-;

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
So is most WL movement over at this point? Or will there be another wave in early June? I'm so tempted to call the admissions office at my WL school to inquire, but am worried I might come across as annoying and impatient. It just sucks waiting and waiting and waiting... ;-;
I reached out to my schools and they basically said they don't know or if they did know they couldn't tell me.

1685125316584.png

Reactions: 4 users
From the looks of this thread Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School
there are many applicants still holding on to several schools. When they eventually drop down to one, the schools they leave behind will have spaces to fill.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Look at your schools previous SDN threads. I peeped mine and one of them historically has their big wave in the beginning of June each year!

This would have landed them...elsewhere, where I work!

Perhaps it was an unusual situation? The day before orientation with an unexpected deferral?
Definitely well before the date of orientation. The screen shot shows June 19, 2019 as the date. And I looked up the schools orientation date and it’s in the middle of July of this year (idk what it was in 2019, but unlikely super far off?).

This person has been extremely lucky over the years and I’ll just chalk it up to real and true divine intervention that simply doesn’t happen to the majority or ever. I’ll just stick to the known and leave the unknown alone. Thanks for your response!

• Hmm
  • Care
Since it’s unusual would you suggest I stay away from n=1 situations like this? At this point I’m desperate but because I have yet to hear of something like this occurring I don’t want to get in trouble.
If you had prior networking contact with the admissions recruiters before applying, you could change my mind.

I have currently PTE’d at the school I got an A from. The CTE date is 2 weeks after the CTE date for the school I am waitlisted at. I have already sent an LOI to the waitlist school. Would it be beneficial to send another LOI to the waitlist school after their CTE date has passed incase they have empty seats? I don’t plan on committing to my A until a few days prior to the deadline. Also how common is it for a school to have empty seats after their CTE date?

I have currently PTE’d at the school I got an A from. The CTE date is 2 weeks after the CTE date for the school I am waitlisted at. I have already sent an LOI to the waitlist school. Would it be beneficial to send another LOI to the waitlist school after their CTE date has passed incase they have empty seats? I don’t plan on committing to my A until a few days prior to the deadline. Also how common is it for a school to have empty seats after their CTE date?
If you stop & think this through, the CTE date is the deadline for those who already have an offer of admission. If they put off their decision until the Deadline date and don't enroll, that creates WL action after that CTE date.
It's all gotta end sometime though, and people who get a very late offer should be ready to decide within a few days.

No, it happens in May.
Thank you! A couple of schools I'm waitlisted at say that most of the people they take off the waitlist is during that time (June-July). I'm a little hesitant to believe that though.

Thank you! A couple of schools I'm waitlisted at say that most of the people they take off the waitlist is during that time (June-July). I'm a little hesitant to believe that though.
It may be true at that school...

Hi, does anyone know if Facebook/GroupMe member size is an accurate indication of how full the class is?

Anyone else who is trying to get the same committee letter as last year from their school being asked to complete this brutal “anatomy of an applicant document?” My premed advisor says it’s a new set of guidelines established by the AAMC for letters of rec, and it’s 15 pages of skills that I need to describe how I’ve gained and how I plan on improving. As if pre-meds don’t have enough work and stress on our plate, it’s like they finding ways to push people away from going into medicine 😤

• Care
Anyone else who is trying to get the same committee letter as last year from their school being asked to complete this brutal “anatomy of an applicant document?” My premed advisor says it’s a new set of guidelines established by the AAMC for letters of rec, and it’s 15 pages of skills that I need to describe how I’ve gained and how I plan on improving. As if pre-meds don’t have enough work and stress on our plate, it’s like they finding ways to push people away from going into medicine 😤
If you don’t want to put in the time then send individual letters. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The workbook is online and can be freely accessed. It's been around for a few years, and the competencies are almost 10 years old. There's a link to the competencies in Becoming a Student Doctor (with my own advice on how to interpret the competencies).

When is this stuff due? What are the consequences if you don't do this? When does this advisor find the time to read all of this to help write your committee letter?

Be glad it's not part of the AMCAS application.

Preparing a reapp, but my 2021 MCAT will be a month expired at one of the schools that WL'd me this cycle. Would it be weird to reach out to the program asking for an exception in the upcoming cycle? Retaking the MCAT is very high-risk for my application (low GPA, high MCAT) and my finances (im just poor), but I am interested in the school and they seem at least interested back 😵‍💫

Preparing a reapp, but my 2021 MCAT will be a month expired at one of the schools that WL'd me this cycle. Would it be weird to reach out to the program asking for an exception in the upcoming cycle? Retaking the MCAT is very high-risk for my application (low GPA, high MCAT) and my finances (im just poor), but I am interested in the school and they seem at least interested back 😵‍💫
A call might save you a secondary fee.
If they deny your request, they are clearly unmotivated.
Sadly, the person responding may not know the intent of the committee. Their job is usually to explain (and enforce) the rules.

This week I'm getting accepted

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I’m in a similar situation… wondering whether to go ahead and find housing etc for the A (state school) or hold out hope for the WL (dream school)? First gen and first time applicant so no idea what most people do here. Still not planning to CTE until the last minute but worried about being able to find housing (honestly at either school) on such short notice

• Care
I’m in a similar situation… wondering whether to go ahead and find housing etc for the A (state school) or hold out hope for the WL (dream school)? First gen and first time applicant so no idea what most people do here. Still not planning to CTE until the last minute but worried about being able to find housing (honestly at either school) on such short notice
Wow we’re in the same situation. accepted somewhere I like but waitlisted at my dream school.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I'm going to assume there will not be any WL movement today as today is Memorial Day.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I've been stalking my one and only wait-list's Facebook group, and it went down by 2 over the weekend. Manifesting harder than I've ever before, as this is probably all or nothing!

People of Earth lend me your energy, because by God it's time to hear that A!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Manifesting an A this week to my top choice school!

anyone feel mentally so prepared for reapp and ready to take it on but also get hurt when you read about other people getting in off their WLs--obviously very happy for them but maybe jealousy?

Reactions: 9 users
Manifesting that this is the week I'll get the call to my top choice school!!! Manifesting it for all of you guys too!

• Love
will schools pull people off the waitlist after the CTE deadline or should I assume that there's almost a 0% chance that that'll happen?

anyone know the likelihood of an IS acceptance to a state school at this point? or is there more likely to just be OOS movement now?

will schools pull people off the waitlist after the CTE deadline or should I assume that there's almost a 0% chance that that'll happen?
A friend of mine got into the school they currently attend after the CTE deadline last year. Before that point he had 0 MD acceptances

Reactions: 6 users
I am submitting my reapplication this week. I am adding one school (my top choice) for time being until everything else is ready.
I am also currently waitlisted at that school. Does this affect admissions at all? Will they have more of an incentive to reject me this cycle because they know they can reassess me next cycle?

EDIT: Grammar. I should really proofread my comments...

Last edited: