2023-2024 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Washington State Secondary Essay Prompts (300 word limit each)

1. How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

2. What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? What have you learned from these experiences?

3. Describe your connections to Washington communities and your interests in practicing medicine in Washington.

4. How have you built your resilience?

5. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates.

6. If you are a re-applicant to WSU College of Medicine, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for our medical school. If you are not a re-applicant to the College of Medicine, please leave blank.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Washington State University - Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good idea of how they define "student resident" I have been living and working (financially independently) in state for over 2 years. But I'm concerned that they'll take issue with 45 days spent out of state last year. Anyone ever have a hard time proving residency?

IS received:

Please respond to each essay below (each <300 words):

1. How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

2. What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? What have you learned from these experiences?

3. Describe your connections to Washington communities and your interests in practicing medicine in Washington.

4. How have you built your resilience?

5. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the learning environment for your classmates.

6. If you are a re-applicant to WSU College of Medicine, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for our medical school. If you are not a re-applicant to the College of Medicine, please leave blank.

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have very strong ties to Washington, but no secondary yet. Following

Secondary received 7/3. OOS, but with very strong ties to Washington.

IS but haven't received secondary- anyone else? Verified 6/12

Last edited:
JUST NOW GOT AN II!!!! OOS but with very strong ties! Submitted my secondary on the same day I received it, which was July 3rd.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!! Anyone else IS still not recieved a secondary?:lol:

• Care
JUST NOW GOT AN II!!!! OOS but with very strong ties! Submitted my secondary on the same day I received it, which was July 3rd.
Congrats to everyone that got an II! I was complete on 07/6 so I am holding out for the next round of interviews. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any other folks interviewing next Monday (8/21)? How are you feeling? Any interview prep material that you're using?

I'm so nervous but so excited!

Are any other folks interviewing next Monday (8/21)? How are you feeling? Any interview prep material that you're using?

I'm so nervous but so excited!
I am! Nervous but excited too. Just trying to stay calm and not get too worked up about it, honestly. We've got it :)

Congrats on the II!! If you don't mind me asking, when were your secondaries submitted? Just a worried premed who hasn't heard anything :')

Last edited:
Did you get the update email about rescheduling the interview?
I did, yeah. Scary stuff, just gotta hope it all turns out ok. To anyone else with an interview scheduled soon, they sent out an email that they're rescheduling our interviews (8/21) due to the fire west of Spokane.

I did, yeah. Scary stuff, just gotta hope it all turns out ok. To anyone else with an interview scheduled soon, they sent out an email that they're rescheduling our interviews (8/21) due to the fire west of Spokane.
I know The wildfires have been absolutely awful this year

For those who have gotten an II: did your status off your app ever change to “under review” ?

For those who have gotten an II: did your status off your app ever change to “under review” ?
Mine changed to under review which for me was separate from the "Application Complete" status, and I was under review for about 4 weeks before I received my II

Any updates or more IIs out there? Haven't heard back anything yet :((been under review since 7/26)

Sorry if I'm missing this somewhere. Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? Thanks.

Did anyone submit their secondary around 8/1 and has received an interview invitation yet?

IS II received 09/19. Application marked complete 7/20

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone's portal say, "Your application is under consideration" AFTER interviewing?

For those who interviewed today: what email are you sending your thank-you notes to? I was thinking just the general admissions email would work.

*I know they said thank yous are unnecessary and won't impact decisions, but I'd still like to send one!

Does anyone's portal say, "Your application is under consideration" AFTER interviewing?
Yes, that's what mine says too. Prior to interviewing it was "under review" before my II and then "interview scheduled" after I got the invite (edit: and scheduled it)

Does anyone's application still say "ready for screening"? I submitted my secondary on 9/11.

For those who recently received IIs, what was the most recent available interview date?

For those who recently received IIs, what was the most recent available interview date?
Hi, IS II Received 9/27 - complete 8/21.

The earliest date I saw was December 4th, which seems pretty far away, but I guess people who received IIs earlier filled up the earlier dates.

Reactions: 4 users
II received! Complete mid August and didn’t go under review until mid September. Reapplicant so hopefully second time’s the charm!

Reactions: 3 users
OOS II today! (Grew up and graduated from highschool in Washington, whole family lives there).
Went to reserve a spot just now and the only date left was in January. I feel lucky to have received an interview but also was concerned because this date is so far away. Anybody else in this situation?

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II today! (Grew up and graduated from highschool in Washington, whole family lives there).
Went to reserve a spot just now and the only date left was in January. I feel lucky to have received an interview but also was concerned because this date is so far away. Anybody else in this situation?
Can I ask when you completed your secondary?