24 (6vr, 9bs, 9ps) and 3.52sGPA, PLEASE I NEED ADVICE!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate from Michigan State with a B.S. in Kinesiology. I am a Michigan Resident

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA 3.46

MCAT (8/22/13): PS:9VR:6 BS:9

Clinical Volunteering/Shadowing:
-Over 300 hrs volunteering in the hospital in orhtopaedic surgery (lots of OR exposure) and ER. Currently working in the ER during application year and plan on getting around 400 hours

Research:
-280 hours Research Assistant for Biomedical Lab during undergrad

Non-clinical volunteering:
-I have 220 hours of community volunteering since high school

Employment:
-paid clinical employment for a year
-Worked part-time for my junior and senior year as a tutor
-currently looking for employment during application year while volunteering

-Great LOR, Personal statement, and secondaries that I have been sending in. I was verified for ACOMAS early June, and studied for my august MCAT afterwards.

I want to retake my Mcat in January to boost primarily my verbal score, but my other scores as well. Will this help my chances?

How are my chances at DO schools with this verbal and the rest of my stats? I applied broadly to these schools. Any suggestions on what schools I could get into?

-MSUCOM
-Nova
-CCOM
-WVCOM
-PACOM
-Marian
-LECOME SE/ERIE
-Touro CA
-UNECOM

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent graduate from Michigan State with a B.S. in Kinesiology. I am a Michigan Resident

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA 3.46

MCAT (8/22/13): PS:9VR:6 BS:9

Clinical Volunteering/Shadowing:
-Over 300 hrs volunteering in the hospital in orhtopaedic surgery (lots of OR exposure) and ER. Currently working in the ER during application year and plan on getting around 400 hours

Research:
-280 hours Research Assistant for Biomedical Lab during undergrad

Non-clinical volunteering:
-I have 220 hours of community volunteering since high school

Employment:
-paid clinical employment for a year
-Worked part-time for my junior and senior year as a tutor
-currently looking for employment during application year while volunteering

-Great LOR, Personal statement, and secondaries that I have been sending in. I was verified for ACOMAS early June, and studied for my august MCAT afterwards.

I want to retake my Mcat in January to boost primarily my verbal score, but my other scores as well. Will this help my chances?

How are my chances at DO schools with this verbal and the rest of my stats? I applied broadly to these schools. Any suggestions on what schools I could get into?

-MSUCOM
-Nova
-CCOM
-WVCOM
-PACOM
-Marian
-LECOME SE/ERIE
-Touro CA
-UNECOM

Your mcat score might be too low for most of these schools (Nova, MSUCOM, PCOM, Touro CA, CCOM). UNECOM accepts mostly in-state applicant. I suggest that you add to that list LMU-DCOM, ACOM, LUCOM, WCUCOM, SOMA, VCOM etc...

ACOM is Alabama, not Arizona correct? Also, SOMA? I'm not seeing that ACOMAS list of schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM is Alabama, not Arizona correct? Also, SOMA? I'm not seeing that ACOMAS list of schools to apply to.

Yup acom is alabama
Soma is ATSU-SOMA
Add CUSOM to that list as well

I agree u need to apply more broadly than your current list. That and I am slightly concerned about the low verbal and how late you are applying. However I would say you have a shot.

My ACOMAS is already verified and I have been doing a 1-2 secondary app a day. So realistically, I could have mine in by this time next week. Still really late?

Oh and unless you were born in north dakota or are native american you are wasting your time applying to UND

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for honest advice. Would letting schools know I'm retaking my Mcat in January help me get in for this cycle assuming I do well? I was scoring in the 30's on my practice with a 10-12 ps/bs and 8 vr average. Just kind of **** the bed on test day.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for honest advice. Would letting schools know I'm retaking my Mcat in January help me get in for this cycle assuming I do well? I was scoring in the 30's on my practice with a 10-12 ps/bs and 8 vr average. Just kind of **** the bed on test day.

A lot of schools will wait on reviewing ur app until they get your new score so its kind of up to you. If you tell them to wait then you could not get iis until jan which isn't the best place to be.

I think you stand a real shot at the newer DO schools even with the 24 mcat.

Your mcat score might be too low for most of these schools (Nova, MSUCOM, PCOM, Touro CA, CCOM). UNECOM accepts mostly in-state applicant. I suggest that you add to that list LMU-DCOM, ACOM, LUCOM, WCUCOM, SOMA, VCOM etc...

As Goro says, "concur strongly"!

My ACOMAS is already verified and I have been doing a 1-2 secondary app a day. So realistically, I could have mine in by this time next week. Still really late?

Ok I was thinking you haven't been verified yet. You aren't terribly late then but certainly not early

Ok, thanks again for the insight. I am really stressing about that verbal score. Kind of blind sided me. I know if I get the interview I'll advocate myself and stand out, especially with my EC. It's just that damn MCAT score that's killing me!

If you guys have any other suggestions for DO schools that I should apply to and have a chance of getting accepted, please let me know!!!!

I don't remember exactly what all my stats were, but they were very similar to yours. I applied late, but still got in. I'm at LMU-DCOM and love it. If you don't mind a rural setting that allows you to focus on school and arguably the most beautiful setting for a campus, then I would highly recommend my school.

Would my stats be competitive for LMU? Compared to any of your fellow classmates, how do I compare?

Realistically, you're MCAT will be below average for almost every school and your GPA Is either average or below average. So I wouldn't say you would be competitive anywhere, but you definitely have a shot. You just need to get that glorious II and then rock it. Check out the Osteo Info Book to determine which schools you are best suited for.

I should rephrase that. Am I in the position to get a few interviews?

Also, I should mention I have around a 3.75 Average for my upper level science classes (anatomy and lab 3.5, genetics 3.5, physiology 4.0, immuno 3.5, and biochem 4.0. Does that work in my favor?

I should rephrase that. Am I in the position to get a few interviews?

It would be great if there were a looking glass and one could say one way or another, but as I mentioned previously you have a shot. Someone with your stats could get 8 interviews or none, there's nothing to do but to go for it and hope you're closer to the former group.