$265K Medical Director (too good to be true?/what's the catch?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need your advice. Offered $265K to be the medical director of an inpatient facility plus outpatient work two days a week at a satellite facility 15 miles away. Additional pay of 70% of revenue if I exceed the $265K salary. Call is one weekend a month. It's a 30 bed facility and there will be NP support. It's a relatively new place but has been around for almost 3 years. Never received an offer this high before and that's why I wanted to hear your opinions if such a high offer comes with some kind of catch they don't tell you about that you find out about only after you start working there.

Members don't see this ad.

Need your advice. Offered $265K to be the medical director of an inpatient facility plus outpatient work two days a week at a satellite facility 15 miles away. Additional pay of 70% of revenue if I exceed the $265K salary. Call is one weekend a month. It's a 30 bed facility and there will be NP support. It's a relatively new place but has been around for almost 3 years. Never received an offer this high before and that's why I wanted to hear your opinions if such a high offer comes with some kind of catch they don't tell you about that you find out about only after you start working there.

I've heard of initial offerings going down, or the demands of the job going up after the first year. Get a medical contract lawyer.

Reactions: 1 users

$265K for a "medical director" position, especially, in-patient, is high-ish, but it's not astronomical.

Find out what is entailed in being a "medical director" at that place. Because usually that title comes with administrative duties, but (based on your description of the job) it doesn't sound like they're going to give you much time to do those administrative duties.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Captain DO recommends you accept that lovely position. Great offer. Just read that contract thoroughly.

And take me out to dinner when you get your first check as a "thank you" for my sound advice. You'll be making bank bruh, you can afford it. :p

Goodluck.

Captain DO recommends you accept that lovely position. Great offer. Just read that contract thoroughly.

And take me out to dinner when you get your first check as a "thank you" for my sound advice. You'll be making bank bruh, you can afford it. :p

Goodluck.

"Medical Student" advising someone to take a job just because it is 265k. The job could be modern day slavery.

Reactions: 1 user

Is this for amedical director for FP? In PMR, the approximate medical director going rate is around 300k for inpt. + a few days of outpt. clinic. Seems pretty legit.

"Medical Student" advising someone to take a job just because it is 265k. The job could be modern day slavery.

Haaaaayk yea! Slavery has come along way if slaves make a jabillion times above the national average. Id do it for a few years, get in, get out, go find something else if i didnt like it.

Real modern day slavery would be something like walmart or mcdonalds id imagine. But i suppose if your mommy and daddy paid your way growing up, a ridiculous salary like 265k that actually requires that you work for it would seem outrageous to ya

Haaaaayk yea! Slavery has come along way if slaves make a jabillion times above the national average. Id do it for a few years, get in, get out, go find something else if i didnt like it.

Real modern day slavery would be something like walmart or mcdonalds id imagine. But i suppose if your mommy and daddy paid your way growing up, a ridiculous salary like 265k that actually requires that you work for it would seem outrageous to ya

There are some jobs that are not worth the high salary that they offer. Or, to phrase it another way, there are some jobs that offer a high salary for a reason.

It is easy to say that you'd do it for a few years, get in, get out, and then go find something else, although somewhat harder in practice. Most physicians often feel a great deal of responsibility to their patients and staff and so find it hard to leave, it can be hard to uproot your children and move - and, depending on your restrictive covenant, finding something nearby may not be easy.

Reactions: 2 users