29 MCAT (9-9-11, for PS, VR, BS) and 3.8GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those are my stats, New York Resident. Applying ASAP after I graduate this year from college (so I'll be very early).
SCHOOLS:

NY:
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
Hofstra
Albert Einstein (ultra reach)
Albany Medical College
University of Rochester
New York Medical College

PA:
Penn State
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Commonwealth

CT
Quinnipiac
U. Conn

I'm really on the fence about re-taking the MCAT right now...I'd take it in January but I can't guarantee a 30+ score, so re-taking for another 29 wouldn't help out at all. LMK thoughts on re-taking too? Thanks guysss :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why U Conn? Don't they heavily favor in staters?

I'd say your list looks pretty good. What were you averaging on the AMCAS practice exams?

Why U Conn? Don't they heavily favor in staters?

I'd say your list looks pretty good. What were you averaging on the AMCAS practice exams?
I based the school list off of MSAR data, I have no clue what schools as heavily in-state biased. Do you think these stats could land an MD acceptance to some of those? If so, i'd appreciate a guess!

Members don't see this ad :)
I based the school list off of MSAR data, I have no clue what schools as heavily in-state biased. Do you think these stats could land an MD acceptance to some of those? If so, i'd appreciate a guess!
Look at the acceptance info (the last tab) to see IS vs OOS).

Reactions: 1 user
Look at the acceptance info (the last tab) to see IS vs OOS).
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'm new to SDN as well as this whole application process. I know my MCAT isn't the best, how honestly how bad is a 29? (Be blunt with me, tell me if it will keep me out, or hey, everyone has a bad day but you're not a lost cause). I'm looking to apply as soon as the cycle starts at the start of June. I'm currently working on secondaries from this past cycle under the assumption they won't change too radically, so I can really submit my secondaries. As far as ECs go I'm PR in 1 club, secretary in another, Copy editor for my journal club, and VP for another club. I've done research in a translational lab since start of sophomore year and have 1 paper publication and several abstracts, posters, and podium presentations. I'm not sure if this will all be good enough to compensate for a low MCAT though :{. Thoughts?

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'm new to SDN as well as this whole application process. I know my MCAT isn't the best, how honestly how bad is a 29? (Be blunt with me, tell me if it will keep me out, or hey, everyone has a bad day but you're not a lost cause). I'm looking to apply as soon as the cycle starts at the start of June. I'm currently working on secondaries from this past cycle under the assumption they won't change too radically, so I can really submit my secondaries. As far as ECs go I'm PR in 1 club, secretary in another, Copy editor for my journal club, and VP for another club. I've done research in a translational lab since start of sophomore year and have 1 paper publication and several abstracts, posters, and podium presentations. I'm not sure if this will all be good enough to compensate for a low MCAT though :{. Thoughts?
A 29 won't keep you out, especially with a good list.

Reactions: 4 users
Clinical experience?

Clinical experience?
Shadowed one MD (internist) for about 400 hours (accidentally went overboard, realized I should've split that amongst other specialties for more LoRs). Shadowed another surgeon for about 10-15 cases or so, good LoR. My translational lab PI is MD PhD and his letter will be very strong. I'm looking to maximize my winter break and shadow two more doctors over the six weeks to pull in additional LoRs.

You have plenty of shadowing. Now you should be looking at clinical volunteering opportunities. You need to work directly with patients.

You have plenty of shadowing. Now you should be looking at clinical volunteering opportunities. You need to work directly with patients.
How does one get to directly "work with patients?" Doesn't that breach hospital protocol unless I'm a specific employee...? As a shadow I got to watch only!

How does one get to directly "work with patients?" Doesn't that breach hospital protocol unless I'm a specific employee...? As a shadow I got to watch only!
There's most likely a volunteer office in the hospital, go ask them. You could do something like transport patients.

You have a good list (except for UConn). It would be worth applying to a few more schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton. You may receive an interview at these schools based on your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also drexel, Temple, Virginia Common Wealth and Wisconsin Medical School

How would someone go about getting "patient interaction?" My general plan for this gap year was to just shadow and do research with the doctor I'm shadowing...so he/she can write a personalized letter for me!

How would someone go about getting "patient interaction?" My general plan for this gap year was to just shadow and do research with the doctor I'm shadowing...so he/she can write a personalized letter for me!
You would be better served with active clinical experience. Nursing homes, SNF's, government (free) clinics, student run clinics, Planned Parenthood, rehab centers, hospice...
Shadowing (physician) letters have essentially no effect on MD admissions.
A DO letter would be helpful if you decide to apply DO, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schools to consider with a 29 MCAT score:
Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS (no 29s or less for OOS)
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech and Hofstra
Any DO program

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Any DO program

I am an OOS student with a 29 MCAT and was granted an II from EVMS this cycle. Is there a reason you don't recommend applying there with a MCAT of 29 or less?

Someone had told me that EVMS was using that criteria...I guess they ran out of instaters and OOSer with 30+ MCAT scores! I will modify my list accordingly.

I am an OOS student with a 29 MCAT and was granted an II from EVMS this cycle. Is there a reason you don't recommend applying there with a MCAT of 29 or less?

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Any DO program

You really think a 29 MCAT would have a chance at U Miami as an OOSer? I read on their site that their most recent average MCAT was a 33.5. I don't mean to question you as your advice is so highly valued. I was just wondering if there was some reason to think that a person with ~4 points less than the average would be able to get in.

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Any DO program
Why not hofstra?

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Any DO program
Whats lomalindas list of donts haha

Those are my stats, New York Resident. Applying ASAP after I graduate this year from college (so I'll be very early).
SCHOOLS:

NY:
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
Hofstra
Albert Einstein (ultra reach)
Albany Medical College
University of Rochester
New York Medical College

PA:
Penn State
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Commonwealth

CT
Quinnipiac
U. Conn

I'm really on the fence about re-taking the MCAT right now...I'd take it in January but I can't guarantee a 30+ score, so re-taking for another 29 wouldn't help out at all. LMK thoughts on re-taking too? Thanks guysss :)

Remove UConn--they only have 87 OOS interviews last year to >2000 applicants. The odds aren't in your favor--really, they're not in anyone's favor.

Remove UConn--they only have 87 OOS interviews last year to >2000 applicants. The odds aren't in your favor--really, they're not in anyone's favor.
Thanks for the tip, I didnt realize certain schools are so in state favored- what other schools should I get rid of?

I was also curious, why not Hofstra?

826174, member: 583101"]They seem to reject 99% of the sub-30 MCATers.[/QUOTE]
They seem to reject 99% of the sub-30 MCATers.
Why would they cause aren't they are a new medical school (so open to lower numbers? )

This is school dependent. Hofstra and VA-Tech want higher MCAT and would be okay with a lower GPA.
Thanks for the tip. Ny state resident here so im pulling for some bias. Entirely my own opinion here, and I'm biased because of the low mcat and high gpa, I'd think a 4 year measurement of one's intelligence, i.e. gpa, should be weighed more than one 4 hour exam. Throw me a bone Hofstra lol

Thanks for the tip. Ny state resident here so im pulling for some bias. Entirely my own opinion here, and I'm biased because of the low mcat and high gpa, I'd think a 4 year measurement of one's intelligence, i.e. gpa, should be weighed more than one 4 hour exam. Throw me a bone Hofstra lol

many feel this way, but unfortunately the MCAT represents a standardized test that measures everyone equally. GPA varies greatly between different schools, and many think some schools inflate grades so much that you merely need to show up to get a B+ or higher, hence why many prefer a high MCAT. either way you can only worry about what you can control, and things will happen as they will. good luck!

Kinda bummed...been keeping up with a bunch of sub30 guys who did everything right (applied day 1, high GPA, 28 or 29 MCAT, tons of research, shadowing, clinical experience, and leadership) and seeing them all get rejected is freaking me out...makes me think its foreshadowing for my cycle when i apply this june D: any fatal flaws I could avoid to make my application perfect...? I mean how do I explain why my MCAT was low at an interview (if I can even make it that far)

You have great stats for DO schools as well. While MD schools like a 30+, you can increase your odds substantially of being accepted to med school by applying DO as well.

There are 3 applicants with a GPA like yours and a 29 MCAT (well, one with a 28 and one with a 30) on MDApps. They were all accepted into Drexel. You should apply there.

You have great stats for DO schools as well. While MD schools like a 30+, you can increase your odds substantially of being accepted to med school by applying DO as well.

There are 3 applicants with a GPA like yours and a 29 MCAT (well, one with a 28 and one with a 30) on MDApps. They were all accepted into Drexel. You should apply there.
Thus far a bunch of 29s with my GPA and other stats got rejected from Drexel post interview :\

There are no guarantees in this process. 8% of applicants with a GPA between 3.8 and 4.0 and a MCAT of 39-45 get rejected from everywhere they apply.

My MCAT score is 72 percentile overall. If I retake, I need to show "substantial improvement," so approximately what score would be the minimum I could hit and not hurt myself? Thanks.