MD & DO 29 Nontraditional - Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas65

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS GPA - s2.51 c2.74 g3.78
AACOMAS GPA - c3.16 s3.19
MCAT - 25 while undergrad, retook during post bac 33 (V11/P10/B12)

Clinical - 10,000 hours pt contact as a tech in a low income walk in clinic

Shadowing - 600+ hours in ambulatory care, hospitalist, ER and Ortho over the last 2 years

Research - No publications but won state research competitions, selected to present research at Posters on the Hill, have worked on multiple projects (being lead and/or only researcher)

Nonclinical Volunteering - Some work with Boy Scouts, a lot of tutoring (university level)

Employment - 10,000 hrs (10 years) as a tech in a walk in clinic, Created my own business doing
Tutoring (2 years)

I have a really big hole in my GPA (junior year failed nearly completely). California resident. My grades until graduate schools were ok for anything but medical school (low 3.0-3.2). I went through undergrad untreated for ADD, upon starting treatment and therapy I was able to get a 3.78 in grad school and retake the MCAT raising my score 8 points to 33. I know I am extremely disadvantaged applying for MD schools but have attempted to direct my applications towards schools that have a concentration in primary care, underserved populations and rural medicine (all of which I actually have a real interest in). I have also applied to DO programs trying to concentrate on Schools on the west coast or who do not have really strong regional preference. I have very strong LOR from several physicians (MD and DO) who I have worked with for several years.

List of MD Schools
· Cooper Medical School of Rowan University – Camden, NJ
· Howard University – Washington, DC
· Meharry Medical College – Nashville, TN
· Morehouse School of Medicine – Atlanta, GA
· Quinnipiac University SOM – North Haven, CT
· The Commonwealth Medical College – Scranton, PA
· Tulane University School of Medicine – New Orleans, LA
· Uniformed Services University of the Health Science – Bethesda, MD
· University of California, Davis School of Medicine – Davis, CA
· University of California-Riverside School of Medicine – Riverside, CA
· University of Nevada School of Medicine – Reno, NV
· University of Washington School of Medicine – Seattle, WA
· Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine – Richmond, VA
· Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine – Roanoke, VA

List of DO Schools
· A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona – Mesa, AZ
· Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University – Glendale, AZ
· Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Des Moines, IA
· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Spartanburg, SC
· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Erie, PA
· Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine – Harrogate, TN
· Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Davie, FL
· Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine – Athens, OH
· Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine – Yakima, WA
· Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Philadelphia, PA
· Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine – Parker, CO
· Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Vallejo, CA
· Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Reno/Las Vegas, NV
· Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific – Lebanon, OR
· Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific – Pomona, CA

As you can see my problem (and its a big one) is my undergrad GPA. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At least remove UW and the HCBU's (unless you have a validated commitment to the mission).

I very much do. My PS and EC hopefully will be able to convince the adcom. I do know that all of the HBCU are probably a very long shot, but I do believe my experiences point towards my desire for working with underserved populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I very much do. My PS and EC hopefully will be able to convince the adcom. I do know that all of the HBCU are probably a very long shot, but I do believe my experiences point towards my desire for working with underserved populations.
Let us know how it goes.

Goro suggest:

Tulane
Tufts
NYMC
Albany
Penn state
SUNY Upstate
Wayne State
Rush
Rosy Franklin
· Quinnipiac University SOM – North Haven, CT
· The Commonwealth Medical College – Scranton, PA
· Uniformed Services University of the Health Science – Bethesda, MD (only if you have a commitment to serving our country in the armed forces.
·· Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine – Richmond, VA

You're fine for any DO school

· A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona – Mesa, AZ
· Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University – Glendale, AZ
· Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Des Moines, IA
· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Spartanburg, SC
· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Erie, PA
· Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine – Harrogate, TN
· Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Davie, FL
· Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine – Athens, OH
· Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine – Yakima, WA
· Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Philadelphia, PA
· Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine – Parker, CO
· Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Vallejo, CA
· Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Reno/Las Vegas, NV
· Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific – Lebanon, OR
· Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific – Pomona, CA

I don't mean to dismiss the OP but I have read other threads which have pointed to an automatic computerized GPA screen.. Would that apply to this OP? or would they take the time to understand his/her story?

I don't mean to dismiss the OP but I have read other threads which have pointed to an automatic computerized GPA screen.. Would that apply to this OP? or would they take the time to understand his/her story?
It is certainly possible that he wouldn't pass a computer screen at several of the MD schools.

Goro suggest:
Tufts
NYMC
Albany
Penn state
SUNY Upstate
Wayne State
Rush
Rosy Franklin

@Goro Do you really think I stand a chance at these schools? Some of their 10th percentile gpa are pretty high. Do you think I fit well with there mission? Also thanks for the advice.

This is definitely a real possibility in fact I expect that as soon as my application is sent out I will recieve a few immediate rejections in the first few days. That being said I have been told that my grad gpa will get my application at least looked at (adcom member from UC Davis). I can only hope that I dont get weeded out by the computer too many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I agree. Again, not to be rude, but OP's GPA is 0th percentile (3.6 standard deviations below the mean). OP looks like he/she has very strong ECs, a strong upward trend, and a great MCAT score, but will this app even get looked at?

Based upon posts from successful SDNers, these are some of the schools that believe in reinvention. I made the list based upon your gGPA. If your MCAT were higher (say, 35), I'd add case and Vanderbilt to the list.

@Goro Do you really think I stand a chance at these schools? Some of their 10th percentile gpa are pretty high. Do you think I fit well with there mission? Also thanks for the advice.

Based upon posts from successful SDNers, these are some of the schools that believe in reinvention. I made the list based upon your gGPA. If your MCAT were higher (say, 35), I'd add case and Vanderbilt to the list.

Thank you I really appreciate it. I am going to spend this next week looking into each of these schools.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to belittle your efforts. I truly hope schools value your unique history. I am mostly being inquisitive.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to belittle your efforts. I truly hope schools value your unique history. I am mostly being inquisitive.

Dont worry about it man, I took it as being an actual question not criticism. I think for a person in my position I really have to bring an amazing package (outside of gpa) to the table and a clear understanding as to why my gpa is so low to have a chance. I just hope it will be enough.

I thought gGPA was not given much consideration for MD admissions. People are almost universally told that their gGPA will do nothing to override their cGPA when they post in WAMC for MD schools.

I thought gGPA was not given much consideration for MD admissions. People are almost universally told that their gGPA will do nothing to override their cGPA when they post in WAMC for MD schools.
That is correct.
It may be different at the DO schools.

Again, it depends upon the individual schools. Also keep in mind that nt all gGPAs are made the same. An SMP or DIY-postbac will carry more weight than say, an MPH, or a MS in Nutrition or Molecular Biology.

Again, it depends upon the individual schools. Also keep in mind that nt all gGPAs are made the same. An SMP or DIY-postbac will carry more weight than say, an MPH, or a MS in Nutrition or Molecular Biology.
Wouldn't a DIY Post Bacc be undergraduate classes?

I assume OP just did a regular masters program since he didn't say it was an SMP. In that case it seems like MD is a non-starter/waste of application dollars at the moment.

Could be. But if one took a year of UG Anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biostats, Micro, and neuroscience, and aced them, Adcoms would be impressed.

Concur that OPs best chances are with DO programs.

Wouldn't a DIY Post Bacc be undergraduate classes?

I assume OP just did a regular masters program since he didn't say it was an SMP. In that case it seems like MD is a non-starter/waste of application dollars at the moment.