3.0 GPA Lots of Extracurrics, Author on publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercifulDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a fourth year student at a top Canadian University.

I currently have a GPA breakdown as follows:
First year - 1st semester: 3.0; 2nd semster: 3.0 GPA
Second year - 1st semester 3.85 GPA; 2nd semester: 3.79 GPA
Third year - 1st semester 3.10; 2nd semester: 2.4 (my father died suddenly)
Fourth year - 1st semester: looks about the same as last semester did; 2nd semester - I plan on getting a 3.7 - 3.8

I know at this point Medical school is out of the question, but maybe if I do grad school I will have a shot at a University like U of T? Also I really don't want to do DO and really want to get an MD. I would like to know what options there are for me to get into a Canadian school. My MCAT is 33R.

I know I could have gotten higher in 3rd year first semester but I got depressed, started chasing girls, stopped focusing so much on school. My marks went to **** in second semester of third year because my dad got diagnosed with brain cancer, and bam a month later he was dead.

In fourth year I lost all hope of getting in -- hence my first semester marks, but I realized it is something I really want and would like a new chance at it. Is there a way for me to stay in Canada, get into a Canadian med school? The amount of time/work does not matter to me. I will do whatever it takes.

I have 1 publication (3rd author) and am working on a fourth year thesis that may get published. I have started a kickboxing club at my university, volunteered in the hospital for 256 hours.

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, Canadian schools are very hard to get into >3.7 >33 for a fair shot. Even D.O. school is at best a marginal shot as an international. If you were national, I'd still say you'd be in a hard place. You should consider Caribbean as a Canadian. I know it isn't ideal and residencies are limited, but it's the most realistic with under 3.5 in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the breakdown of your MCAT score? If you have can beat the following cutoffs: 9/11/12 you are almost garunteed to get an interview at Western since they look at your best 2 years. You still have a chance at Queens since they look at last 2 years if you don't meet their cut-off but they also have a hard cutoff at around 10/10/10+. You likely don't have a chance at UofT and Mac even with Masters. But maybe a chance with UofT provided you do a PhD or postdocc but that can even take 3+ years and your old MCAT score will be invalid at that point. But since your MCAT score is pretty high 33, you have a very good shot at Queens and Western provided you can meet their cutoffs. My word of advice is switch schools and perhaps aim for a new degree on something you find interesting, you said you'll put in the work and time to get into a Canadian school right? You should understand Canadian Medical schools DO NOT CARE where you did your undergrad. Your attending one of the top schools in Canada is likely preventing you from pulling up your GPA. I hope you find your way but that's the best advice I can give. Good luck!

P.S. Don't give up, you have a very good chance since you are holding on to such a high MCAT score.