DO 3.16cGPA/ 2.95 sGPA/ 29 MCAT ADVICE PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have applied broadly to many Canadian friendly DO schools. I have received many secondaries, however I have not heard back regarding interview invites from the secondaries I have already sent in . I am wondering if I should continue submitting more secondaries because I am starting to question if I will even make it to interview stage with my stats. I am also re-writing my MCAT, so is it possible that schools may be waiting for the new MCAT score before making a decision?

I do have a strong upward trend, have shadowed a DO and have a LoR from a DO, have done some research, international medical clinic volunteering, tons of other community service etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very, very early for interview invites. But your stats are extremely low for an international applicant. Your sGPA might get you screened out of many places. You need to take (retake) some classes and get your sGPA >3.0. And even then ...

Your sGPA is lethal.

Hi, I have applied broadly to many Canadian friendly DO schools. I have received many secondaries, however I have not heard back regarding interview invites from the secondaries I have already sent in . I am wondering if I should continue submitting more secondaries because I am starting to question if I will even make it to interview stage with my stats. I am also re-writing my MCAT, so is it possible that schools may be waiting for the new MCAT score before making a decision?

I do have a strong upward trend, have shadowed a DO and have a LoR from a DO, have done some research, international medical clinic volunteering, tons of other community service etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be beneficial to have another year of upper level science classes. Ace that, bring your science GPA up to 3.15 type territory and I think you might have some luck with that upward trend and above average MCAT, even as an international.

I am going into my fourth year and am taking a lot of upper year science courses. I won't be able to do re-takes until next summer. I am positive my sGPA would be much higher by the time I finish my undergrad. So should I even bother with secondaries? Am I just wasting my money?

I am going into my fourth year and am taking a lot of upper year science courses. I won't be able to do re-takes until next summer. I am positive my sGPA would be much higher by the time I finish my undergrad. So should I even bother with secondaries? Am I just wasting my money?

It's probably in your best interest to wait a year.

Wait. Raise the sGPA to a 3.1 - 3.3 if possible. A fellow Canadian here and looking to go DO as well. As internationals, we need AT LEAST (IMO) 3.3 sGPA's for entrance into the CDN friendly schools. Best of luck.

Remember achieving admission isn't a 100m sprint.

Okay thanks guys! Yes this upcoming year I will be taking a lot of science courses and I plan on spending next summer retaking some classes, so I believe I should be able to get my sGPA to higher than 3.3! Thanks for the input and thanks for not being mean LOL :)

Reactions: 1 user