3.2 cGPA; 3.16 sGPA; 13P9V12B(34) TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhandal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to in state Texas schools and DO. I have an upward trend with my last 60 hours as a 3.95. Load of EC along with multiple publications. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to in state Texas schools and DO. I have an upward trend with my last 60 hours as a 3.95. Load of EC along with multiple publications. What are my chances?

If they look at the upward trend, excellent.
If they look at the cumulative average, lousy.
If you do grade-replacement for DO, excellent.

Since your academic turnaround is so dramatic, you may want to address it early in your PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to tell...TX school are pretty competitive, so it might be worth calling some Admissions Deans to see if you can make the cut. And do NOT forget about TCOM!

Like call them or send them an email, I don't see the dean answering calls of prospective students asking if they have a shot.

How about giving us a school list to look at.

How about giving us a school list to look at.

In State:

UT Houston (MD)
UT Southwestern (MD)
UT Galveston (MD)
UT San Antonio (MD)
Texas A&M (MD)
Texas Tech Lubbock (MD)
Texas Tech El Paso (MD)
University of North Texas (DO)

I was also considering applying out of state to:

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

I would pick a couple more non-regional DO schools to apply to. Make sure you have a physician letter and clinical experience and you should net some interviews. With great recent grades, a great MCAT, but low overall GPA I think Texas will be a crapshoot.

I would pick a couple more non-regional DO schools to apply to. Make sure you have a physician letter and clinical experience and you should net some interviews. With great recent grades, a great MCAT, but low overall GPA I think Texas will be a crapshoot.

Yea I have a letter from a PhD and a physician as well as over 1000 hrs clinical experience with multiple publications. Do you think that would be good enough for TX?

Also forgot to mention, due to AACOMAS grade replacement I have a 3.4 sGPA and cGPA, so I should be good for any DO program.

Last edited:

I agree with this, TX is pretty competitive, and TCOM does NOT do grade replacements, like the other schools. I think it boils down to applying really early and having great EC's, then maybe. For sure apply broadly.

I agree with this, TX is pretty competitive, and TCOM does NOT do grade replacements, like the other schools. I think it boils down to applying really early and having great EC's, then maybe. For sure apply broadly.

Yea I opened up my DO list more broadly and also already completed my Texas application for this cycle, which is really early. I will update you guys on what happens